It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 year old suspended from daycare, for a cheese sandwich.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

A Barrhaven daycare is taking a zero-tolerance hardline on food allergies. On Monday, the Centre de l’enfant aux 4 Vente daycare suspended two-year old Faith Murray for three days for bringing a processed cheese sandwich in a sealed ziplock bag onto the property.

Daycare director Deb Ducharme says she understands the consequences are difficult on parents but has to hold the line because some of these children have life-threatening sensitivities

LINK

The daycare’s zero-tolerance policy goes down well with parents whose children are at-risk but it’s unfairly excessive according to the toddler’s father Randy Murray. He’s considering pulling Faith and her older brother Michael out of the daycare and putting his freelance graphic artist career on hold so he can stay at home and look after them himself.

I find this to be above and beyond ridiculous. Why not just take the sandwich away, and get on with a regular day? Much ado over relatively nothing. I understand the whole allergy thing, but suspending a two year old...unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

AccessDenied

A Barrhaven daycare is taking a zero-tolerance hardline on food allergies. On Monday, the Centre de l’enfant aux 4 Vente daycare suspended two-year old Faith Murray for three days for bringing a processed cheese sandwich in a sealed ziplock bag onto the property.

Daycare director Deb Ducharme says she understands the consequences are difficult on parents but has to hold the line because some of these children have life-threatening sensitivities

LINK

The daycare’s zero-tolerance policy goes down well with parents whose children are at-risk but it’s unfairly excessive according to the toddler’s father Randy Murray. He’s considering pulling Faith and her older brother Michael out of the daycare and putting his freelance graphic artist career on hold so he can stay at home and look after them himself.

I find this to be above and beyond ridiculous. Why not just take the sandwich away, and get on with a regular day? Much ado over relatively nothing. I understand the whole allergy thing, but suspending a two year old...unbelievable.

Why not just have the hypersensitive kid eat in a different room? If it makes him feel ostracized, it might actually help him overcome his allergy.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

More like 2 year old girl suspended because parents ignored the terms outlined when they enrolled their child at that day care centre.

For a site that generally loathes the MSM, it sure has its fair share of MSM-like hyperbole.

edit on 6-3-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
From the linked article.

The daycare, which looks after 148 children aged 18 months to 12 years has a strict no food from outside policy due to the number of children with food allergies it looks after.

I doubt the two year old made her own sandwich and brought it to school. Parents were aware of the policy and enrolled their children anyway.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The zero tolerance policy being enforced was for ANY outside food,not because necessarily there was an allergy. I don't believe the parents had the intention to send it with her,but it was in the car,and she put it into her pocket.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The "no food from outside" rule may seem over the top but Parents are told about it during registration.

But director Ducharme points out that parents are made aware of the centre’s food policy as a part of the registration, and that they ran their food policy, in French and English, as recently as the January issue of their monthly newsletter.

2-year-old suspended from daycare for bringing in cheese sandwich

How many days have his kids been at the Daycare?

Is this the first time he's sent his daughter with food?

Is he just a publicity seeker?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Even so,why punish the child? She is too young to understand what is going on.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

She's not being punished, and would be blissfully unaware of it, she'll just be spending a few days at home instead.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Additional source:

Murray said he knew his daughter had the sandwich in the car, but didn't realize she had put it in her pocket and taken it into class. "By the time she was two steps in one of the teachers saw it, handed it back to me and then the next thing you know, I'm told we're suspended," said Murray.

LINK2

Perhaps she was eating it in the car on the way?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

She isn't being punished, the parents are being inconvenienced. At 2 years old all she knows is where she is, not why.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It's unbelievable what we have come to tolerate and accept in the name of breaking our backs to insure every single person in society is comfy and feels warm and fuzzy. Pay no mind whatsoever to how many OTHER people pay a real price for that comfy accommodation...that isn't supposed to count and anyway, screw these rule breakers right? They should have known they are expected to endure their own discomforts for someone else to be assured of theirs.

When I was going to school the child with the allergy requiring change among an entire student body would be the one whose parents were told to seek realistic accommodation. That never used to be about changing policy to the whole for the consideration of the hyper-minority.

We've gotten totally absurd about it. Just...beyond all reason and logic. One person..with one issue..can demand and have the policies for hundreds changed.

I think there is a line between the rights of the individual and tyranny by individual right.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What happened to the good old days, when anything contraband brought to school, was simply taken away? I DO realize she is only 2, but an incident like this does have a disturbing far reach. It's like all common sense is gone...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
A high number of allergies, eh? Maybe if these people running the place were smart, they'd run the place as a hypoallergenic daycare for allergenic kids only. That would solve any cross-contamination problems for them, right. there. To be honest, I cannot understand why daycares with majority allergenic kids never think of this simple solution, it'd be a medical niche business and bound to be a success.

I want to know if they have kids allergic to dogs and cats, and what this place does to/demands of the kids that have cats and/or dogs at home. That dander can set off a reaction in a snap. so what do they do, tell them get rid of Fido/Fluffy? There's a line between food allergens and animal allergens somewhere, exactly where does outside authority pop up?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
To be honest im sick and tired of having to bend over for every person who has special needs. What about my needs, what about my childrens needs to be free, if your kid has special need thats ok, but dont take my needs or my kids needs away from me, if you cant live in the world dont make the world change to suit you, change you to suit the world
edit on 6-3-2014 by imod02 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't know if it is absurd or beyond logic.

•Researchers estimate that up to 15 million Americans have food allergies.•This potentially deadly disease affects 1 in every 13 children (under 18 years of age) in the U.S. That’s roughly two in every classroom

I think the important question is WHY are food allergies skyrocketing?

•According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011. •Researchers are trying to discover why food allergies are on the rise in developed countries worldwide, and to learn more about the impact of the disease in developing nations. More than 17 million Europeans have a food allergy, and hospital admissions for severe reactions in children have risen seven-fold over the past decade, according to the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI).

•Every 3 minutes, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the emergency department – that is more than 200,000 emergency department visits per year.

I'd say being very proactive about what foods can come into a daycare is thoughtful and reasonable.

food alleriges rising

CJ

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Normally I would be outraged at this... BUT this is like people moving into an HOA, signing the documents then complaining that they can't have My Little Pony curtains showing in the window of their son's room.

The parents were made aware of the rules BEFORE they sent their kids to that particular daycare and by sending her there anyway, they are consenting that they will follow all rules regardless of what they think about them. IF they were going to have an issue with cheese sandwiches maybe they should have chosen another daycare provider.

Now do I personally think the rule is ridiculous? I do. I think it is ludicrous anytime one person makes it difficult for 800 other people to eat what they choose but I would also not sign up for that daycare if I thought it would be an issue.

Their house...Their rules.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

imod02
To be honest im sick and tired of having to bend over for every person who has special needs. What about my needs, what about my childrens needs to be free, if your kid has special need thats ok, but dont take my needs or my kids needs away from me, if you cant live in the world dont make the world change to suit you change you to suit the world

This is essentially my husband's sentiment. He's highly allergic to bees & whey, anaphylactic. The bees he can do nothing about, obviously. The whey is something he refuses to push on everyone else to deal with. When we were dating, I bent over backwards accommodating it. Easy enough at home to alter recipes, and he was fine with it, but he had issues when I tried to go overprotective in public, "It's my allergy, I'm supposed to make it work with life, not everyone else." He took, and still takes, great offense to the social notion that he needs to be coddled over it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I'd say being very proactive about what foods can come into a daycare is thoughtful and reasonable.

To the point of saying absolutely *NO* food from outside an approved school district supplier is permitted across the school property line? ( *Day Care...to be specific...and what is this setting but training to the future?)

How much is enough? When is it too much? How much accommodation do we build in before we realize...we've screwed our own quality of life in the unfettered pursuit of political correctness and the inclusion of everyone, everywhere, even if only in theory of need which MIGHT exist?

It's sad on this because the folks I find I talk to on these things, especially in real life, are too young to even realize it was NOT ALWAYS LIKE THIS. Not remotely CLOSE to this...and not THAT long ago. Jeeze.. We've lost *SO DAMN MUCH* in how we've changed SO profoundly to become the wishy washy society out for maximum comfort at any cost or sacrifice.

Sure...some consideration to allergy is logical, but you do understand that even passing exposure can lead to immediate and very serious reaction, up to and including anaphylactic shock?

Of course...it's better to train the majority to become basket cases in fear of hurting or offending the few. Naturally... I'm silly to think otherwise. (sigh)
edit on 6-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

This isn't high school... elementary school.... middle school.... its DAYCARE.... get real and follow the rules. These parents could have killed a parents child who had a food allergy. During lunch of whenever they eat these young 12 month to 2 year old children don't know there allergies. Get real and have some logical sense of morality here. Although I have to hate on the daycare. a suspension are you freaking kidding me. The kid is 2 years old. Adults these days and getting on my nerves.... what were they taught in school.... nothing?

On a side note: You don't have to send your children to Daycare.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Meditationplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by ColoradoJens

To the point of saying absolutely *NO* food from outside an approved school district supplier is permitted across the school property line? ( *Day Care...to be specific...and what is this setting but training to the future?)

How much is enough? When is it too much? How much accommodation do we build in before we realize...we've screwed our own quality of life in the unfettered pursuit of political correctness and the inclusion of everyone, everywhere, even if only in theory of need which MIGHT exist?

It's sad on this because the folks I find I talk to on these things, especially in real life, are too young to even realize it was NOT ALWAYS LIKE THIS. Not remotely CLOSE to this...and not THAT long ago. Jeeze.. We've lost *SO DAMN MUCH* in how we've changed SO profoundly to become the wishy washy society out for maximum comfort at any cost or sacrifice.

Sure...some consideration to allergy is logical, but you do understand that even passing exposure can lead to immediate and very serious reaction, up to and including anaphylactic shock?

Of course...it's better to train the majority to become basket cases in fear of hurting or offending the few. Naturally... I'm silly to think otherwise. (sigh)
edit on 6-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

That was a pretty emotional response. I never said you were silly. To your point it has not ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS. As I pointed out from my source, there has been a HUGE growth of food related allergies since 1997.

Why would you think that this is a PC thing? Can you see if you were operating a day care and had no controls in place and a child died what it would do to your business? I think you underestimate the number of parents with kids with food allergies and what they feel about it. Finally, a business made a decision that one had to agree with before enrolling. If they don't like the rules of the establishment they don't have to go there. Clearly not every daycare has the same set up.

CJ

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join