It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commenting on a posted video BEFORE you watch it???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yesterday I posted a link to a video for which it was alleged that the writer/director had been poisoned soon after the video was made. The first people commenting on the video were either complaining that it was too long and they didn't have time to watch it, or watched the first few minutes, decided from that content that it was 1: bogus, 2: included some guy they hated, or 3: the content was impossible.

Since the first few comments were made before they could have possibly watched the 90 minute long video, it was obvious they didn't know what they were talking about.

Please be aware that it only takes a few people to deep-six what may be an important thread or piece of information, and that truly useful discussions can only take place when all people involved have seen or read the provided info.

This isn't about who you hate, or what you think is possible. It's about discussing it like adults, not declaring certain things are impossible without any proof.

Here's the now-completely trashed thread if anyone is interested: ATS link

Since it's possible that the writer of this was KILLED to send a message out, please give it the respect it deserves. It isn't about Steven Greer, nor is it about what you could reproduce in your basement with tinker toys... it's what is possible with unlimited funds and nearly unlimited brainpower and time.

At this point, I'm truly about ready to give up on ATS; between the obvious people with an agenda of suspicious origins and the neverending how many angels on the head of a pin posts about religion(s) and people whose basic education is so lacking they can't produce a coherent sentence, one wonders what's the point? I come here for information and discussion with like minds, not people I have to suspect of being disinfo agents or having a fear or hate-based take on everything. There's plenty of knee-jerk debunking websites out there where you can find people who think just like you, if that's your gig.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Sometimes you don't need to watch a video of poop to know it's crappy...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

It is not just your thread. You will find that there are a great many people who do not take the time to read OPs before comenting then there are a special few who do not even comprehend what they have read.

This thread was an eye opener to that. www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is kind of unbelievable how many didn't get it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It's true...

A couple of negative comments early in a thread can destroy it.

You know how it is. Threads a funny things.

Just keep fighting the good fight.

You never know when a thread may help somebody.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My ATS brother anything you post on here can be simply say be attacked.

It is what you believe...I loved the Vid.

Who's to say what our Government does ?

I know for a fact that when my brother in law was in SAC in 1980 at area 51...well all I can say is he saw some stuff by accident and told...WHO TELL NO ONE!

Keep up with your post!

edit on 5-3-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can see how what happened in your thread was disconcerting for you. Keep in mind that not many people are going to have 90 minutes to spend watching a video. You need to make sure you provide an accurate summary for those that don't have the time, bandwidth or proper device to watch.

Also, if you want to wait over an hour or more for your first comment then it is likely your thread will be ignored entirely. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Good rant..SnF for you.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I love how the first poster complains about it to long bouncing from home and work no time to watch it but still has time to make a comment .Why even bother with the comment that has nothing to do about what is being presented just about a gripe with a 90 min video and a busy life . maybe he should of started his own rant seeing how he is so busy with home and work and atsing about how videos are to long for the busy on the go posers .

If I come across a long video I will use this magical function called a bookmark and go back and watch it when I have time even takes days of 20 min at a time because I am to busy .

ETA
It goes the same with thread titles some people just read that and form their comment from that as well
edit on 5/3/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Metallicus
I can see how what happened in your thread was disconcerting for you. Keep in mind that not many people are going to have 90 minutes to spend watching a video.

Right it just might eat up in to their television time ooooo when is dancing with the stars on or jersey shore most people watch more than 90 min of tv a day

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Jefferton
Sometimes you don't need to watch a video of poop to know it's crappy...

Well then, why comment at all? Why not let other people make up their own mind? And how can you possibly know the aggregate content of something you can't be bothered to listen to?

As far as not having time, fine. Then you probably don't have time to surf the web either? I have a friend who is a single mother of two young children, has a full time job and she still has time to watch a movie once in a while. It's a matter of priorities and no one is forcing you to either read the post or watch the movie. And I did give a synopsis of the topic in the post.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
And I find it utterly amazing that someone like the OP could take a few seconds to post a "amazing new" 90 minute video then demand everyone watch it on the strength that she says, "it's really important." Then, when you DO take a look at it what do you find? A rehash of Steven Greer's 2001 National Press Club Conference, now 13 years old, but somehow still qualifying as "amazing new."

Now that is simply false advertising. If the 90 minutes has anything useful, then bill it correctly instead of trying to B.S. people into watching it. Further, we discover that this "amazing new video" is done by none other than Stephen Bassett, whose main claim to fame is that he doesn't care at all about the credibility of his witnesses. Is this a value judgment? Nope. He hangs himself with his own words where he threw a hissy fit on the air.

“The problem is not about our opinions about who is a laughingstock. It’s all about the government. Don’t worry about the individual aspects of people in the field. I don’t care about your background. Credibility is not an issue in the Disclosure process. I just don’t care. It’s not my concern and I’m not in a position to sort it out. I don’t give a damn."
-The Paracast, March, 2009

So we're supposed to listen, again, to people, some of which have no credibility at all and have been caught at it. And when you actually STUDY what those witnesses said (which I find no evidence the OP has), you find that most of them saw lights in the sky, daylight disks, or were told a story by other people. Indeed, I presented a table summarizing every single witness at that event showing exactly what they claimed they saw and guess what? It took more than 90 minutes to compile. But obviously, since the OP never acknowledged it, I was "wasting my time.") In short, the one who has no credibility is Bassett, and even of he has a few honest, forthright witnesses who actually saw something remotely relevant, he has poisoned the witness pool with people like Stone and Rosin, who have been well vetted here before--and found wanting.

And this is kind of the crux of the matter. Here comes the OP who apparently thinks people on ATS have never heard of Bassett and his crowd, have never dealt with the witnesses shown on his video, and have no idea what they are about or what they have done. It would be kind of like Michael Horn breathlessly posting a Billy Meier video proclaiming to the population of ATS that this "stunning new video" from 1980 proves aliens from space, apparently unaware that Meier has been the subject of dozens of threads and thousands of posts over the years.

Now on the surface that really isn't so bad. Haven't we all found something in which we were initially excited, but after study and consideration and discussion have come to the conclusion that our initial enthusiasm was not warranted? I'll readily plead guilty on that. But the unforgiveable issue here is that OP's reaction is one of disdain. If we won't watch her precious "New amazing video!" then We are wasting OUR time.

EXCUSE ME??!! No, You've got it backwards. YOU are wasting OUR time. Why should OP expect all of us to spend 90 minutes watching a film she put up in five minutes? Does she have that kind of claim on our time? Op has done an extremely poor job of presenting her "amazing new video" from 2001. Now, if there is more to it, she could have said so. It would have taken a couple of minutes to say,

"The beginning of this video includes some footage from the Greer National Press Club Conference from 2001, and I know many of you have seen that, but just get beyond the first 15 minutes or so and you'll see some amazing new stuff." Of course, that may not be true at all, but she didn't even make the attempt. She reminds me of a car salesman who blames you when you don't buy his favorite car. Whose fault is that, exactly? Am I obligated to buy a car if I walk into a dealership?

But OP didn't bother with any of that. She just zapped up that video in a couple of minutes flat, then sat back to await the adulation and amazement of the audience. When that didn't happen and people began to say, "We've seen it all before." what was her reaction? It is all the audience's fault. You know, when Hollywood makes a movie and no one bothers to watch it, they lose money and the film bombs. They don't blame the audience for not watching it.

OP says she's "fed up" with ATS and presumably about to take her film (Well, it's not exactly hers, is it?) and go elsewhere. That would be fine, really. I get frustrated with ATS, too, but I can't deny that ATS at least tried to "deny ignorance." This is one of those cases. I'm sure she can find a credulous audience elsewhere, full of people who will believe anything they are told. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

When members read the OP then immediately jump to posting without reading the whole thread; this shows disrespect for those that have contributed to the thread early on. I think it's best to read the thread before making a fool of yourself.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

You are quite right in being upset. You post a video and immediately several people complain for one reason for another obviously without viewing or knowing its content. Evidently, ATS policy is not to send the mods out to tell such people that, if nothing else, they are wasting everybody's time with their off-topic posts. I have yet to see a mod react to post such as, "I'm at work and don't have time/opportunity/screen big enough to watch this video. I'll do it when I get home." That is outrageously off-topic even as it actually lacks a genuine topic.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Schuyler

Perhaps you beat up on the video and the OP later in that thread than I followed, but this isn't the place for it now if you didn't do it there.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Aliensun

Schuyler

Perhaps you beat up on the video and the OP later in that thread than I followed, but this isn't the place for it now if you didn't do it there.

Perhaps you should read the original thread. I did, yet chose not to post.

I have found Schuyler to be one of the most informative researchers on ATS. He pulls no punches, and does tell it like it is. He is thorough in his fact checking, and presenting those facts with verifiable data to back them up.

If you want only sugar coated Kumbaya, let's all have a group hug posts to read, don't read those posted by Schuyler. If you want well researched, even if you don't agree with them posts...then do by all means read his posts.

JMOHO...

Des

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

schuyler
And I find it utterly amazing that someone like the OP could take a few seconds to post a "amazing new" 90 minute video then demand everyone watch it on the strength that she says, "it's really important." Then, when you DO take a look at it what do you find? A rehash of Steven Greer's 2001 National Press Club Conference, now 13 years old, but somehow still qualifying as "amazing new."

Now that is simply false advertising. If the 90 minutes has anything useful, then bill it correctly instead of trying to B.S. people into watching it. Further, we discover that this "amazing new video" is done by none other than Stephen Bassett, whose main claim to fame is that he doesn't care at all about the credibility of his witnesses. Is this a value judgment? Nope. He hangs himself with his own words where he threw a hissy fit on the air.

“The problem is not about our opinions about who is a laughingstock. It’s all about the government. Don’t worry about the individual aspects of people in the field. I don’t care about your background. Credibility is not an issue in the Disclosure process. I just don’t care. It’s not my concern and I’m not in a position to sort it out. I don’t give a damn."
-The Paracast, March, 2009

So we're supposed to listen, again, to people, some of which have no credibility at all and have been caught at it. And when you actually STUDY what those witnesses said (which I find no evidence the OP has), you find that most of them saw lights in the sky, daylight disks, or were told a story by other people. Indeed, I presented a table summarizing every single witness at that event showing exactly what they claimed they saw and guess what? It took more than 90 minutes to compile. But obviously, since the OP never acknowledged it, I was "wasting my time.") In short, the one who has no credibility is Bassett, and even of he has a few honest, forthright witnesses who actually saw something remotely relevant, he has poisoned the witness pool with people like Stone and Rosin, who have been well vetted here before--and found wanting.

And this is kind of the crux of the matter. Here comes the OP who apparently thinks people on ATS have never heard of Bassett and his crowd, have never dealt with the witnesses shown on his video, and have no idea what they are about or what they have done. It would be kind of like Michael Horn breathlessly posting a Billy Meier video proclaiming to the population of ATS that this "stunning new video" from 1980 proves aliens from space, apparently unaware that Meier has been the subject of dozens of threads and thousands of posts over the years.

Now on the surface that really isn't so bad. Haven't we all found something in which we were initially excited, but after study and consideration and discussion have come to the conclusion that our initial enthusiasm was not warranted? I'll readily plead guilty on that. But the unforgiveable issue here is that OP's reaction is one of disdain. If we won't watch her precious "New amazing video!" then We are wasting OUR time.

EXCUSE ME??!! No, You've got it backwards. YOU are wasting OUR time. Why should OP expect all of us to spend 90 minutes watching a film she put up in five minutes? Does she have that kind of claim on our time? Op has done an extremely poor job of presenting her "amazing new video" from 2001. Now, if there is more to it, she could have said so. It would have taken a couple of minutes to say,

"The beginning of this video includes some footage from the Greer National Press Club Conference from 2001, and I know many of you have seen that, but just get beyond the first 15 minutes or so and you'll see some amazing new stuff." Of course, that may not be true at all, but she didn't even make the attempt. She reminds me of a car salesman who blames you when you don't buy his favorite car. Whose fault is that, exactly? Am I obligated to buy a car if I walk into a dealership?

But OP didn't bother with any of that. She just zapped up that video in a couple of minutes flat, then sat back to await the adulation and amazement of the audience. When that didn't happen and people began to say, "We've seen it all before." what was her reaction? It is all the audience's fault. You know, when Hollywood makes a movie and no one bothers to watch it, they lose money and the film bombs. They don't blame the audience for not watching it.

OP says she's "fed up" with ATS and presumably about to take her film (Well, it's not exactly hers, is it?) and go elsewhere. That would be fine, really. I get frustrated with ATS, too, but I can't deny that ATS at least tried to "deny ignorance." This is one of those cases. I'm sure she can find a credulous audience elsewhere, full of people who will believe anything they are told. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? The movie wasn't about Greer or Bassett, and if you'd watched more than the first seven minutes of it, you'd know that.

Your profile says you're a retired librarian. Did you rope off the entire fiction section of the library with a sign reading, 'It's all lies, I tell you! Lies!'

I NEVER made a big deal about watching it or not, I simply posted it FOR THOSE WHO WERE INTERESTED. You're the one who hijacked the thread, and now you're unsuccessfully doing it again.

Thank you for making your personal issues with people not associated with the movie known once again.

At least this thread and most of the other responses to it, reassured me that not everyone on ATS is a crank.

And by the way, the movie was brand new, made not by Greer or Bassett, and the National Press Club part in the beginning was by way of introduction of the reversed engineered craft and Mark McCandlish. If you'd bothered to watch a tiny bit more of it, you'd know how utterly foolish you look now.
edit on 4359123pmWednesdayf59Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:59:43 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
And if Stephen Bassett decided at some point not to make a value judgment between certain UFO witnesses or investigators, and others, that's his decision and I have no problem with it. It's not up to us to be judge, jury and personal executioner of who is crazy, deluded or right on the money. It's that kind of topic, after all.

You're literally making stuff up out of whole cloth and attributing it to this particular movie and post.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Destinyone

Aliensun

Schuyler

Perhaps you should read the original thread. I did, yet chose not to post.

I have found Schuyler to be one of the most informative researchers on ATS. He pulls no punches, and does tell it like it is. He is thorough in his fact checking, and presenting those facts with verifiable data to back them up.

If you want only sugar coated Kumbaya, let's all have a group hug posts to read, don't read those posted by Schuyler. If you want well researched, even if you don't agree with them posts...then do by all means read his posts.

JMOHO...

Des

How is it 'well researched' when he watches less than 7 minutes of a video and decides the entire video is bunk, and then proceeds to make stuff up about it?

I don't mind discussions of the topic at hand, I DO mind completely off base posts by unhinged hate mongerers.

Now he's claiming I said it was 'my movie' which is ridiculous. Again, I posted that up for people who might not have heard about it, and it's a fascinating topic and a very well done movie.

I will take your advice and ignore this person's posts from now on, if he'll do me the same favor and not hijack my threads.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

SF, wow I feel for ya. I know how disconcerting some 'people' can be with their comments. I have been back to the Thread about the video you posted and re-read what you wrote before the video, like 5 times. NO Where do I see where you supposedly said anything at all about the importance, one way or another, about the video. And I do Not see anywhere where you were demanding we watch it.
One in particular who has been trying to derail your video thread tried to tear me a new ass once for a simple comment I made here at ATS. Seems like some come here when they are having or had a bad day just to dump on people. Sad really.
But please don't think of leaving here because of them. I for one like what Threads you have made, even if I haven't left a comment on it, and most of your comms on other threads. I usually don't comment a lot here as at times I just don't feel like bothering with the trashing I may recieve. I'm just givin ya a pat on the back on this one.
I do plan however to watch that vid. That stuff is kool in my book. And I don't care who is in it, don't care if they are even credible actually. What I like about topics such as those is the way they make me think. Technologies I have never heard about have come to me in vids like that. Even if it is pure fantasy stuff, so what. Makes the mind work, and that's a good thing.
Dreamers, where would we be right now if not for them? Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 3 5 2014 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join