It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge denies teen's attempt to sue parents for money

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

jtma508
reply to post by Destinyone

Wait. Is a post 18yr old child not living at home entitled to parental support or not? What difference does it make what the parents' situation is? This isn't a complicated question. And raw end of the deal doesn't even come close to describing my ordeal (now past).

Were you having to pay for back child support payments that weren't paid previously? If not, I can think of no reason why you would have to pay for a child over 18 who is not in high school, or even living with the mother. That doesn't make sense to me. Did you sign a divorce agreement saying you would pay past the age of 18?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Of course not. I always met my support obligations and more. Always. This was well after my daughter turned 18 and had moved out of the house. In MA, if the child is attending school fulltime you are obligated until they are 25yrs old. This is based on their living 'at home' which my daughter was not. And no, there was nothing in my divorce agreement about that at all.

edit on 5-3-2014 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If she was my daughter it would be difficult for her to walk into the courtroom with my foot up her arse.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

jtma508
reply to post by kaylaluv

Of course not. I always met my support obligations and more. Always. This was well after my daughter turned 18 and had moved out of the house. In MA, if the child is attending school fulltime you are obligated until they are 25yrs old. This is based on their living 'at home' which my daughter was not. And no, there was nothing in my divorce agreement about that at all.

edit on 5-3-2014 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

Wow, that's just crazy. In Texas, you don't have to pay child support after age 18, unless they are still in high school, or unless you specifically signed an agreement during the divorce to pay past the age of 18. College is not mandatory (like public school is), so I am shocked that your state requires the parent to pay for it. Insane.

(post by F4guy removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
admin note: Removed quote of ludicrous and somewhat disgusting comment...

*snip*

So, he should reword it as 'waaambulance chaser'?
2nd.
edit on 3-5-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

buster2010
Judge denies teen's attempt to sue parents for money

A high school student suing her parents for living and school tuition costs has lost her first round in court.Rachel Canning, 18, sued her parents after claiming they kicked her out of their home last year. Her mom, Elizabeth, and dad, Sean, a former police chief, said their daughter left home because she didn’t want to follow house rules. On Tuesday, a New Jersey judge denied the teen’s request for emergency financial assistance during a court proceeding that brought her together with her parents for the first time since October. The two sides did not exchange any words, although at times Rachel’s parents wept.

Strike one for little miss I got mad because I didn't get my way now give me what I want. The judge made the right call on this one because it would be setting up a very bad precedent that would give kids even more power over their parents. Kids have way too much power now.

Nearly everyone found the lawsuit frivolous, with numerous people describing the teenager as a “spoiled brat.” One person responded with only a picture of Veruca Salt, the pampered, overindulged girl from the movie, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

Why am I not surprised.

The one and only major problem with this story is, they kicked her out at 17 years old, that's a minor.

"House Rules" regardless, it's illegal to toss your minor out of your house with no where to stay.

Kids have too much power? Parents do; I say this at a nearly 30 years old, the amount of parents that want to charge their teens "Rent" when they are working and going to school, and are working part time, so they get overworked, miss their childhood, and when they can't afford the rent, they get booted is sickening.

Children aren't your slave -- they are people. House rules is the dumbest argument I've ever heard in my life, people are people, and we are all different, and they are going to do what they are going to do, so -- here is a perfect example of a stereo typical house rule...

"No sex in the house"

This is a retarded rule, because you're basically just telling your kid that they have to have sex in public, in a car, at a park, and when they get in trouble because they got caught, who does it cost?

And then when it creates tensions between the parents and the kid, so much so, to where the kid isn't welcome to stay anymore, you toss your kid out to the wolves, before it has a solid footing, which leads to a path of even more bad decisions.

These are just plain bad parents -- all day. If any of you parents would follow the scenario above, you're doing your kids a disservice and making their lives way more complicated than they need to be, rather than doing your job as a parent, and setting them up for success.

You become another obstacle in life, rather than the support that you owe them for birthing them in the first place.

The kid should win this, simply as a statement that it's NOT okay to throw your kids out of your home before they are "adults."

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

The defendants claim that she was not kicked out, but left voluntarily.

Judging by the judge's verdict, I'm going to hazard a guess that she believed the parent's version more so then the daughter's.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

Little princess left on her own. However, from the perspective of a 17-year-old drama queen who isn't getting her way and has decided that either her parents give in or she leaves, that can qualify in her mind as being "kicked out" although reality is a harsh mistress.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

if you read my comment and looked at the wording i never mentioned or referred to anyone by name.
also, as you pointed out it was more of question, than a accusation.

i would also like to thank you correcting my spellin mistake and use of punctuation. i sometimes do that when i type in a hurry, due to the mild form of dyslexia i have. self tested at many of the online sites and failed / passed the criteria for having it.

maybe there is a certain job on web forums you could apply for that people like to refer to.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

You do not need a space between the period and the end of the sentence, and you should have the comma inside the end quotes after "descent."

Now please, stop correcting everyone. It's tedious.

edit on 5-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Please add your comments to the existing thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ha. But god forbid some guy is late paying child support. Oh then saying the kids gunna end up on a stripper pole or how they dont deserve the proper care parenting is supposed to provide, is horrible nasty stuff.

Interesting how the double standards apply.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ha. But god forbid some guy is late paying child support. Oh then saying the kids gunna end up on a stripper pole or how they dont deserve the proper care parenting is supposed to provide, is horrible nasty stuff.

Interesting how the double standards apply.

<< 1   >>

join