It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge denies teen's attempt to sue parents for money

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Judge denies teen's attempt to sue parents for money

A high school student suing her parents for living and school tuition costs has lost her first round in court.Rachel Canning, 18, sued her parents after claiming they kicked her out of their home last year. Her mom, Elizabeth, and dad, Sean, a former police chief, said their daughter left home because she didn’t want to follow house rules. On Tuesday, a New Jersey judge denied the teen’s request for emergency financial assistance during a court proceeding that brought her together with her parents for the first time since October. The two sides did not exchange any words, although at times Rachel’s parents wept.

Strike one for little miss I got mad because I didn't get my way now give me what I want. The judge made the right call on this one because it would be setting up a very bad precedent that would give kids even more power over their parents. Kids have way too much power now.

Nearly everyone found the lawsuit frivolous, with numerous people describing the teenager as a “spoiled brat.” One person responded with only a picture of Veruca Salt, the pampered, overindulged girl from the movie, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

Why am I not surprised.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Good.

This spoiled little retard with the sense of entitlement needs to learn some painful life lessons.

Look for her on the nearest stripper pole in a city near you!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'd assume the costs will have to be paid for by using her college funds?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who thinks they DESERVE to have their college paid for by their parents. I wish the judge would of made her pay ALL court costs associated with this pathetic suit. That would of forced her to get a job and learn how to work and EARN the things she gets.

Get a job, get grants, get loans, GROW UP and welcome to the real world!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Maxatoria
I'd assume the costs will have to be paid for by using her college funds?

Until the parents actually gives her the money she has no college funds even if they had a college fund for her. Usually each side has to pay their attorney fees but the judge could make the loser pay all fees but that doesn't happen too often.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
you know i didn't see whether she had a lawyer or not.
if she did, that just goes to show what kind of people gravitate to that profession.

other than a greasy, slime ball, ambulance chaser, what kind of descent lawyer would take such a case.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

A wonderful case of entitlement. I'm not going to hate too much on the young adult as the parents must have had a hand at spoiling the brat, but this should give her a harsh reality check. No one owes you anything.

Welcome to adulthood little one.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
No 18 year old should be able to hold their parents hostage. I'm glad the judge made the call that she did. Honestly, I'm tired of these little spoiled entitled brats, who seem to think that they can get away with anything. Between this case, and the "affluenza" case in Texas, the next generation will be something to behold, and be deathly afraid of.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

IroncladFT
I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who thinks they DESERVE to have their college paid for by their parents. I wish the judge would of made her pay ALL court costs associated with this pathetic suit. That would of forced her to get a job and learn how to work and EARN the things she gets.

Get a job, get grants, get loans, GROW UP and welcome to the real world!!!!

I can only wonder how many other self entitled young folk were watching and waiting for the verdict in this case. Hoping they too, could sue their parents who've paid for everything they've ever had, but still think they are *owed* more.

This was a much needed reality check for Miss Entitled, and some much needed vindication for her poor parents.

I remember back in the mid 60's, working after school and weekends to earn money for the extras I wanted. It helped establish a sense of self worth, and values, I fear many of this generation haven't a clue about.

Many parents today, are part of the blame. And being raised in a society that says you deserve it all now. That you are somehow inferior if you don't have the latest everything handed to you on a silver platter.

This case was a big lesson in something we don't see being taught to young folk these days. Consequences for ones actions.

Maybe with some therapy, the family has a chance at reuniting. One can only hope so. Unfortunately, unless this girl comes to an understanding that her parents aren't her private bank roll, to use for whatever she wants. I see her continuing in life as a high maintanence, self absorbed whiny witch.

JMOHO...

Des

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I saw a little blurb on this and wondered if I would see it here.
It is baffling to see the sense of entitlement that so many people have nowadays. They do not seem to understand the meaning of "earning" something.

It's somewhat petrifying that these are the people who will be in charge of us when we're old! I forsee some type of forced "death with dignity" type of deal where we're "too old and feeble" to understand the burden we are putting on society just because we reach the age of 65 or whatever suits them.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
In case some are wondering parents are only legally responsible for their children until their 18th birthday.Evidently her behavior offended her parents so they did just that.And with her filing this ridiculous suit I can't really blame her parents for wanting her out of their lives.Room,board,college tuition,living expenses...why not ask for a sports car while you at it?
Sorry for the rant but I started dragging golf bags around for money at the age of 13 for money.This chick is going to have a lot of problems in her future I bet.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Already being discussed on another ATS thread with the latest legal update, I might add:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Actually in a weird turn of events the family she is staying with is paying her court fees. I would wonder about why a family would do that .
I think it's her boyfriends family.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

TDawg61
In case some are wondering parents are only legally responsible for their children until their 18th birthday.Evidently her behavior offended her parents so they did just that.And with her filing this ridiculous suit I can't really blame her parents for wanting her out of their lives.Room,board,college tuition,living expenses...why not ask for a sports car while you at it?
Sorry for the rant but I started dragging golf bags around for money at the age of 13 for money.This chick is going to have a lot of problems in her future I bet.
she left on her own when she refused to follow the house rules for curfew, homework and time spent with her tongue down her boyfriends throat. Her parents drew the line when she was suspended twice , then received a DUI. They laid down the law, she didn't like it and left on her own. They say she is welcomed back but she needs to agree with the rules. Her mom was crying in court. The brat was yawning.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

It's her lawyer who is also supposedly a close friend of the family. Go figure.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by Maxatoria

Actually in a weird turn of events the family she is staying with is paying her court fees. I would wonder about why a family would do that .
I think it's her boyfriends family.

Interesting, AutumWitch. If so, I wonder how long it will take her to realize, her BF possibly views her as his meal ticket, much like she viewed her own parents.

It was reported the main issue of the breakdown in the relationship with her parents footing the bill for everything for a now adult child, was her choice of this BF. She should have gotten her own place if she disagreed with them, and not tried to stuff her choices down the throats of her parents paying for everything.

Instead, she chose to be arrogant enough to think the law, and courts would be on her side, and punish her parents for wanting to have the final word in their own home they bought and paid for.

Des

edit on 5-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just think.....it's entitled little brats like this whore that will be running the country in just a decade or 3.

Time to sign up for the Mars mission.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Awesome. So from reading the thread it's the unanimous opinion of the posters here --- as well as the judge --- that the girl, now 18yrs old and out of the house, is NOT entitled to support from her parents. Is that accurate?

That being the case, why was I, and many other non-custodial dads like me, forced to pay child support for a post 18yr old child that had moved out of the mother's home? In my case she didn't even have a key to her mother's house, was receiving nothing from her mother, yet I was dragged into court and ordered to pay child support TO HER MOTHER. I had paid for my daughter's college (including room and board) yet 'the court' decided that that did not count.

So what exactly is the difference? Are parent's obligated to pay for their children after they move out and are post 18yrs or not? Or only when the parent is a non-custodial dad?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I'm sorry you feel as if you got the raw end of the deal. I can't make a judgement call on that one. I think the difference in this case, is the parents were not separated, nor divorced. It was the child suing her parents, not the parents suing each other for child support.

Des

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Wait. Is a post 18yr old child not living at home entitled to parental support or not? What difference does it make what the parents' situation is? This isn't a complicated question. And raw end of the deal doesn't even come close to describing my ordeal (now past).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join