It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we space talibans?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by SuperFrog

It could be that an alien species intelligent enough to cross the vast distances between the stars might not need to actually land or fly around 200 feet from the ground to observe us. They might be able to just do it from orbit...kinda like they always did in star trek.

Put us into orbit Mr Sulu..

How is that different from what I said. From security point, there is no need for them to acknowledge themselves to us. They can safely observe us, and that is how I envision we would do if we get capability to reach other stars. First evaluate risk and based on findings, do everything possible to protect knowledge and advantage.

reply to post by Cathcart

Future wars to threaten our and all other species living on this planet. Any nuclear war would change earth surface permanently.

I never said aliens would not find our militaristic specie not interesting. On contrary, they would find us very interesting, but might decide to keep hidden and just observe to ensure we don't pose threat to their civilization. At least, we would do the same and try to protect survival of our species.

gortex
Yes.
The original meaning of the word Taliban is students , as we study the stars and space I guess that literally makes us space taliban.

Would we be viewed like the people that call themselves Taliban by other beings ? , maybe yes maybe no , hard to tell without knowing who is doing the judging , I have a feeling they would just see us as a primitive but promising species going through growing pains.

I am aware of original meaning of word Taliban, but today it is more used to paint some intolerance toward others, as best shown in Afghanistan by destruction of very old statues and use 1500 years old book as law...

reply to post by TrueBrit

You rise very good points, and whole idea about this thread is that IMHO we are growing technologically much faster, many of us not able to adjust and still having their heads in middle ages. While we all should work toward the same goal, we are divided through means of politics and religion (often follows politics and other way around) and we are still far behind where we should be.

It is clear that we are growing in this aspect as well, from changes in what is acceptable or not, like equality of sexes, same sex unions, racial equality etc., but there is still bouncy road ahead of us to get over our differences and sometimes I wonder if we as species will ever get there... let's hope so...

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

EnderMEM
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

If we have the means to get there we would also have the means to get a probe there, and check things out before we launched a huge arc type ship with a huge population on it.

When I said "when we get there" I didn't mean "when our colonists arrive"; it could be "when our probes arrive". However, that does not change what I asked, which is this:

If we found a near perfect match for Earth -- near perfect match in gravity, atmospheric gases, atmospheric pressure, and radiation levels -- that also has an indigenous intelligent species, but who are less technologically advanced than we are, would we colonize that planet, or leave the indigenous species be and start another decades-long (or longer) search for another "perfect" planet withing our space travel range that closely matches earth's environment?

I have a feeling that even if we had the means to gather all the resources we would ever need from other non-inhabited worlds (i.e., even if resources were not an issue for us, and we had all we needed) that we would STILL not pass up the opportunity to uncrowd earth by moving some people to this "Earth 2.0". The same may be for aliens; if Earth closely matches the conditions on their crowded homeworld, may they want the Earth for its real estate?

It may not be about specific resources such as water, titanium, or uranium. The Earth itself (in general and in totality, and as a place to live) may be a very rare resource to aliens.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

SuperFrog
Future wars to threaten our and all other species living on this planet. Any nuclear war would change earth surface permanently.

Nuclear war may change the Earth for those creatures living here now (including humans), but in 100,000 years (almost a blink of an eye in earth time scales), the Earth will be fine again, as if we never existed.

We may permanently ruin the earth for us, but we may not permanently ruin the earth itself. Earth and life on earth will survive, even if that life isn't us.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

How is that different from what I said.

You were claiming they were staying away from us because they were scared we were dangerous. I said that might not be the reason and that they stayed away because they didnt need to come close to observe in the first place.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I really think that assuming the leaders of the world do not take it into their heads to test out the old mutually assured destruction idea, our getting out of the solar system at some point is a foregone conclusion. The real question is, will we have advanced enough by that point, intellectually and emotionally, to be able to take full advantage of expansion into the wider universe, or will we carry enough fragments of our old, bad programming with us, that the advantages are lost on us.

I hope that we succeed. I hope that there will come a time where human beings will not make war on one another, or anything else, but merely learn to defend themselves from threat in the immediate sense.

I do not see it happening any time soon though.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
awesome troll subject post! 7.5/10

SuperFrog
Let me first say couple of words for intro - Recently I was thinking about UFOs and possible encounters with aliens. Even I would love for something like that to happen, I can’t hide my high skepticism it ever happened nor that will happen in any near feature. I will try to explain why I think visit has not happened yet as well why I think any aliens smart enough to come to earth might decide to keep a bit away from us.

It all starts with how I see possible first contacts. I doubt alien, or for that matter, if we ever manage to get to orbit of some other planet that orbits different star, we would blindly just land and announce our selves. Not being seen by natives is advantage and it should remain like that until we (or in our case, aliens) evaluate how dangerous species really are, are they any danger to our civilization. Of course, drones and satellites would be used to evaluate all of that, to monitor all details about life, dangers and not just danger from existing civilizations, but also about medical conditions and viruses.

As result of all of this, I have more and more feeling that aliens would see us equal (if not worst) to what I currently view talibans. We are acting as talibans with all those wars among ourselves, tests of nuclear weapons, inequality we live in, our destruction of only planet we have even in most advanced countries.

Would you share any of your science with someone who might use it to further destroy himself and those around them?
In my opinion, we have to grow up, and one of major obstacles is religion, which truly more separates people, goes against science and scientific progress as well, and turns us into modern talibans. We have to move past our difference and start acting as humans from earth, start to worry about our planet and make steps to protect it from huge corporations that have bought our governments and is working towards its goals rather than toward better future for all of us.

But, for now, we are just space talibans…

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I hope the same thing, and I neither see it happening any time soon. Thing that bothers me is that we know what should be done, but those on power will not let their control. They will do everything possible to hold on power and status quo.

reply to post by ATSZOMBIE

Without c/p of my post, your post is one liner, and not answer to topic... and that is what troll post really is. Gratz!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Krazysh0tWhat if they need bodies to fight some intergalactic war and see us as good cattle to groom amd send into battle in their sted?

A species advanced enough to create ships that move between stars would presumably have conceived of the drone or robot, which would be a far more predictable method of warfare than enslaving an unknown race and strapping them into your advanced technology to do your bidding.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by JadeStar

War isn't just for resources. War also happens through hate and intolerance.

Incorrect.

Name one war that was only about hate and intolerance.

Hate and intolerance are the SYMPTOMS of the perceived scarcity of some sort of resource.

What if an alien race saw our rapid technological development and saw us as a possible future threat?

We'd not present any sort of threat to such a species.

Such an alien race would likely be millions if not a billion or so years ahead of us due to the the age of the galaxy and universe. Our solar system and we are VERY late to the game as this chart shows:

Humanity doesn't appear until the final minutes of December 31. Meanwhile intelligent life in our universe could have arisen as early as April and in our own Milky Way Galaxy as early as late May/early June on that calendar.

That's a heck of a lot of time for plenty of other civilizations to rise and fall before our Sun and planet formed out of a cloud of dust and gas.

That is why any advanced species is likely to be millions of years if not a billion or more ahead of us. It's simple math and probability. The likelihood of meeting another species near our age/level is miniscule in comparison to meeting one substantially older.

There would be no 'war' if a hostile species wanted to do anything. It would be like a war between the US Air Force and an ant colony.

Or even worse as a possible tool for some other scheme they have? What if they need bodies to fight some intergalactic war and see us as good cattle to groom amd send into battle in their sted?

The human body is one of the most fragile forms of life on Earth and is NOTHING compared to a robot made out of titanium alloy.

Advanced aliens would presumably have better robotics than us.

Perhaps they'd have nanobots which could reduce anything to grey goo.

No need to 'enslave' humans. This says more about an internalized fear of humanity being the victim of the same inhumanity to fellow humans it exhibited.

It makes for great sci-fi but has little basis in science.

Its like guys riding on horses with laser guns or fighting with "light sabers".

When all other resources become plentiful the only scarce thing left to wage war over is life itself and the ability to control other life. I could totally see humans attacking another intelligent species on some trumped up charges all because they are different. Therefore I can also see other life doing the same.

We aren't anywhere near the level to attack any of our potential neighbors and if we were there would likely be little reason to do so.

Interstellar travel is not now, nor is ever likely to be a trivial thing. It costs a lot in terms of energy and there are likely plenty of uninhabited worlds for each inhabited one.

Wars cost resources. Going to an uninhabited world or debris disk (huge asteroid belts around some stars) to get your resources takes less resources than waging an interstellar war.

These are supposed to be intelligent aliens, therefore they'd do the smart thing and not waste resources on a war when they can get what they need thousands if not millions of other places they might have access to.

Also there is one scarce resource you are forgetting that we have that other alien racea may want (assuming they are carbon based and like us) a habitable planet that doesn't require wasting many resources on terraforming.
edit on 3-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

As someone whose field of study has to do with habitable planets I can tell you that they are not as scarce as once thought. In our own Milky Way galaxy alone there are likely around 40-50 BILLION of them based on statistical analysis from the Kepler mission.

We know of 20 right now....

And here's the statistics for the local neighborhood:

Our Milky Way galaxy:

And the Universe:

Again, there is no need to waste resources getting to an inhabited planet to wage war. If life and consciousness itself is a rarity in the universe it would be far more likely to be studied than exploited or exterminated by an older, more advanced civilization. Unique culture and individual histories might be the most valuable thing in the universe from that perspective.

We don't wage war with Dolphins do we?
edit on 4-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
'space talibans' - that's a 'B' movie begging to be made if ever i heard one.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
OP, you're disappointed at the state of humanity's division, yet you chose a demonized group to represent all things that are bad.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I agree we probably are at a low level compared to many alien beings and that can be compared to the low level of consciousness of the Taliban and their “ believe what I believe or get murdered”

This is likely our general level of consciousness in this world save for some who have transcended that tribal self centered level of the true beast.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

SuperFrog
Let me first say couple of words for intro - Recently I was thinking about UFOs and possible encounters with aliens. Even I would love for something like that to happen, I can’t hide my high skepticism it ever happened nor that will happen in any near feature. I will try to explain why I think visit has not happened yet as well why I think any aliens smart enough to come to earth might decide to keep a bit away from us.

It all starts with how I see possible first contacts. I doubt alien, or for that matter, if we ever manage to get to orbit of some other planet that orbits different star, we would blindly just land and announce our selves. Not being seen by natives is advantage and it should remain like that until we (or in our case, aliens) evaluate how dangerous species really are, are they any danger to our civilization. Of course, drones and satellites would be used to evaluate all of that, to monitor all details about life, dangers and not just danger from existing civilizations, but also about medical conditions and viruses.

As result of all of this, I have more and more feeling that aliens would see us equal (if not worst) to what I currently view talibans. We are acting as talibans with all those wars among ourselves, tests of nuclear weapons, inequality we live in, our destruction of only planet we have even in most advanced countries.

Would you share any of your science with someone who might use it to further destroy himself and those around them?
In my opinion, we have to grow up, and one of major obstacles is religion, which truly more separates people, goes against science and scientific progress as well, and turns us into modern talibans. We have to move past our difference and start acting as humans from earth, start to worry about our planet and make steps to protect it from huge corporations that have bought our governments and is working towards its goals rather than toward better future for all of us.

But, for now, we are just space talibans…

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Well truth is they will come down if they want to.
Sall based on the intention of the Observer (you).

But i have Witnessed things myself, Check the thread if you havin't read it before

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What does that even mean? Your just trolling, sitting back and having a laugh at all the people who replied to this...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join