It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Articipation - Be a part!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I came up with an idea while drawing some sketches. Lately, I had been exprimenting with different media I had never used before, or, had used in school perhaps, but not since.

Frankly, I had gotten in a rut. I purchased several different media, colored pencils, chalk pastels, chalk pastel pencils, oil pastels, transparent watercolors, and guache watercolor.

I started playing around with each. First, I had to warm my skills back up, as I had been slack in the actual drawing department lately, and had been doing more with polymer clay and making jewelry.

I got a nice, 12 piece set of Japanese pencils of every hardness imaginable, and started out with some sketches, and moved on.

One of my favorite mediums has always been pen and ink, and pointalism. I will forever be drawn to that, and then, I stumbled upon Zen Tangles, or, zentangles. This turns out to be a great meditative art, and I discovered I love patterns. There are literally millions of them, free, online. However, it struck me that simply drawing tangls in boxes, while great for practice, was, well, boring. No one ever showed how to actually incorporate it into art.

I decided to tackle the problem, and in the meantime, I came up with an idea to share with my friends at ATS!

Member 'ART'icipation.

I read so many posts where people say things like, "All I can draw is stick people". Well, this thread is for you, and anyone else who wishes to join in the fun!

What I decided to do was to create some drawings, and then you can print them, color them, paint them, do whatever you want to finish them! You can even come back and post your work, I would love to see your interpretation of my art!

So, I have created some simple, quick sketches, some fractal type images, some for fun, and some more complicated.

The choice is yours! Print what you like, resize the image if you want. All artwork is original, and created by me, and I allow you to share it, for this purpose.

I would like to share some of my art, then, I will post some images to get you started!

I hope you enjoy!

Lg

Pencil

Colored pencil on an artists trading card

Colored pencil, learning color stacking

Colored pencil and pen and ink

Not only my first watercolor, but in guache

Now, it's your turn!

A large fractal

Smaller, cool pattern

Fun pic, just add color!

Another fun pic, some tangles, again, color it!

Just hearts? Just hearts! How many colors can you make them?

For those looking for something a little more complicated, this one's for you!

I hope that you have fun, experiment, and please, post your creations back to the thread!

Experiment with different media, or, if you have something you love, stick with it. The choice, the freedom, is yours!

I hope you 'ART'icipate!

Lg

edit on 3-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Very nice. Especially like the hummingbird.

Haven't done much artwork lately myself but here's one I did a while back. Was actually thinking of working it into an avatar.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Great job on those drawings.
The black and white drawings are pretty interesting, I may take a crack at one of those tomorrow. I'm not too great at drawing, but I do like to use Photoshop to paint/draw and if I'm in the right mood I can occasionally come up with something half decent (for my level of artistic ability, anyway
).
edit on 3-3-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Thank you. I should finish the hummingbird, but I actually like him the way he is.

I like the pic, why not use it as an avitar?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Thank you! I would love to see what can be done with some of the black and white images in Photoshop. I was hoping someone would tackle that aspect, and then post them back to the thread.

After you sleep, of course!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I like the pic, why not use it as an avitar?

Thanks. Guess I just never got around to it and never considered it finished. Couldn't figure out what to use as a background mainly.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Heck, I like it the way it is. Just the light touches of color, anything more would take away from it, IMO. Kinda like the hummingbird.

Just use the black, or transparent bg. It doesn't need anything more.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I wish I could!

I am afraid the best I can do, and I suck at, is stick figures.

Being half blind does not help! But then, I have not always been half blind but I have always sucked at art.

My creative juices (Yes, I do have some) flow in other directions.

I love looking at Art in most of its forms.

Nice work everyone, very nice indeed

Have one of these and some of these

P

edit on 3/3/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I really loved the one you titles 'fractals', the image has my eye going from point to point, wandering all over which come sometimes be distracting, but in something like this with a flow and pattern to it I found it really enjoyable

Also, we have a artsy kind of thread going at the moment which is just a general place to pop down whatever creative thing your up to, be it art, dancing, poetry, video, things you find inspiring etc. We'd love to see you put some of your work in there too, in fact there's a beautiful ink-in-water coloured pencil piece on the first page which is beautifully done that I think you would enjoy. So check out The Rainbow Lounge

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Thank you. So glad you like some of.the work, especially after seeing your gorgeous painting. Such a nice compliment!

I checked out the thread, and I will see what I can dig up to post. I was thinking of coloring the final black and white drawing that I posted, using colored pencil, so perhaps I will post that once it is completed.

Just been waiting a bit, to make certain the images print ok. Most of them were scanned into bmp's, then cropped as jpgs. The last image, for some reason, would not unzip after my husband emailed it to me, so I took a picture of it with my phone.

If for some reason, it won't print, I will need to rescan the image, so been holding off on altering it yet. I am just itching to, though!

Thanks for the invite to the thread, I appreciate it!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Well, here's a start anyway.

And you can tell I'm definetely no Botanist by the color choices.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Love your art, looks like you have fun!

Sculpture

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I really, really like the portrait! It has a very 'happy' feel to it.....looks like an expression you would expect to see on someone who has just fallen in love.

The minute I saw the fractals I got all excited! I need to get about 13 quilts done, and then I will do one with fractals! Or, maybe I'll just make another quilt top to go on the 'UFO' ( unfinished objects) pile!

I'm so glad I checked this post out! Thanks!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

kx12x

Well, here's a start anyway.

And you can tell I'm definetely no Botanist by the color choices.

It's beautiful! Hey, no worries on color choices, those plants are pure invention of my imagination, so any color you choose, is perfect! The cool thing is, there are no rules!

I also noticed how dark the photo image is. Going to have my husband re-mail me the unzipped photo which has a pure white background. One of the other images, I noticed, is distorted from scanning, so it will also be rescanned and reposted.

Working on some new pics, too!

So happy to see what you have done! Keep up the great work!

edit on 4-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Thanks so much! The portrait is my 14 year old step daughter. She is absolutely beautiful, and such a pleasure to draw.

Glad you like the fractals image, I would love seeing a quilt made with that pattern, it would be fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed the post!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

What a lovely sculpture! I have done several in clay, and several smaller ones in polymer, but none so lovely.

What do you sculpt with? I would love to know!

I enjoy doing busts in clay, but since I have no kiln, I have to use an air dry clay. The results are just not as pleasing.

Polymer has run a close second, though, and I really enjoy making things with that, especially miniatures for dollhouses. I love making polymer "food" jewelry, as well, such as pumpkin pie earrings. I even bought essential oils in dozens of scents, and make Birthday Cake scented cupcake earrings, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Peppermint, Cinnamon, Apple Pie, Fresh Baked Bread, etc.

I give them away as gifts fot Christmas. One year I made 100 grab bags for work, each had a bag of candy, and one handmade piece of jewelry. Anything from stretchy gemstone chip bracwlets, hematitie pendants on leather cords, and Jingle Bell and polymer food earrings.

If people got something they didn't like, I encouraged swapping. It worked out very well!

Unfortunately, this last Christmas, I was too ill to do much, and have only recently felt like doing anything again.

The craving to create gets very strong, it's almost like I always have to have something going all the time!

I have some wire I bought last year, and have really been wanting to do some wrapped rings and pendants. I just can't seem to find my ring mandrel, though I know it's here somewhere! Lol.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Well, you said half blind, can you see well enough to color? I already did the drawing for you. Print it out, and color it! Even use pen, pencil, it doesn't matter! So, since you can only draw stick people, you are exactly who the thread was made for!

If you enjoy it, please do, that's the whole idea, to bring the chance to do art to those who cannot draw, but wish to participate as well, or, those who can that simply want to try something different!

Hey, it might be fun!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

What a lovely sculpture! I have done several in clay, and several smaller ones in polymer, but none so lovely.

What do you sculpt with? I would love to know!

I have recently begun using High fire clays, Mermaid was a Medium Fire clay.
I have a large kiln but it is electric, gas is much better if you ever decide to do a lot of sculpting.
I sell in galleries but have become lazy and not working lately. This was the only thing finished I had around to take a picture of :-0

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Well, it will be a long time, like maybe never, for me to get a kiln. I just can't justify the expense. I doubt my work is good enough to be sold in galleries, anyway. It sure does not compare to yours! I do it because I enjoy it, and I dabble in just about every craft there is.

My main holdback in doing more sculpting and/or pottery though, is obviously the kiln. Air dry just doesn't compare. All i have to take a pic of is my very first sculpture in clay, that was never fired. It has tiny fractures all over, but it has lasted (almost) 25 years! Yes, I am old. Lol. Not sure how many more years it has, though. I will see if I can snag a pic of it. I usually give everything away, and never took pics of it. I rarely keep anything I make.

I usually keep my first attempt at anything, because well, it was my first, and usually everything after it is much better, anyway. I got my inspiration to sculpt after I met a mysterious guy in Florida named Vandercar. He had hundreds of sculptures on his property. He died some time after I met him, but I later found out he was something of a local legend. The entire interior of his home was literally handmade. He had a row of busts outside his home he named, "Path of Lovers", which was lined with sculptures of men and women on either side.

He also embedded sculptures into trees. Often wizards, devils, demons. His property was fascinating.

Here it is without flash, IMO, this is what is really looks like. The flash pic shows it better, but, it loses depth, etc.

I took some with flash, but, they are not flattering and it does not represent the piece as truly as the ones without flash. Never claimed to be any good at photography! Lol. Anyways:

Is 9 1/2 inches tall, (yes, I measured it lol) and weighs about 10-12 lbs. Very heavy. Flash made her lips and eyes look funny. >.<

edit on 5-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

Luckily, I found a video about him. You can see a sculpture he is working on, and definitely tell from his work, how he inspired me!

www.youtube.com...

I believe I was 16 when I met him. Maybe 17.

www.youtube.com...

In this video, about 9:30 in, you get a glimpse inside his home, what was called "The Money Room". He actually had coins of all types embedded into the ceiling and walls. Aalso, were artworks and photos. Some photos of him, with dates 30 years back, and he hadn't appeared to age a day. He called himself a warlock...

Lewis Vandercar
miamimemories.blogspot.com...
m.facebook.com...://www.facebook.com/WarlockHouse

I don't have facebook, but since he died, I know they have been trying to sell his paintings. So, not sure if this is memorial or commercial, but either way, you may get to see some of his art.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

gotonight.com...

articles.sun-sentinel.com...

The Wizard Of Zephyrhills Is He
Really A Prince Of The Royal
Order Of Warlocks And Witches?
Or Just A Clever Magician With A
Sense Of Humor?

December 13, 1987 | BY MATT SCHUDEL

HE ISN`T SURE WHY HE CAN RECALL IT after all these years, but Lewis Van Dercar has a distinct memory from his earliest childhood.

He was only 2 or 3, barely able to talk, and was sitting in
the bay window of his parents` house when he saw a light approaching from the distance. It passed through the window and came upon him, and Van Dercar heard a voice ask, ``Is everything all right with you?``

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have put up a new avatar, which is a project that has had me stumped for many years.

It is a small wall hanging of fabric, and I can't seem to find the right focal point for the flames. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ms. Nugget

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join