It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists? Have you been feeling a bit "agnostic" lately?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Skyfloating
At the first layer of the subconscious, the atheist is an agnostic. At an even deeper layer, the atheist is absolutely obsessed with God, enamored, hopelessly in love. To hide that fact, he positions himself as an "atheist" while all other people notice that he spends countless hours on internet forums talking about God.

I'm enamored with God in the same manner that our country was enamored with Hitler.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
…but no I do not agree my amount of posts towards god is some kind of evidence I believe in god. Which is what you are clearly insinuating.

Of course you disagree. At a conscious level. And yet, your posting History on God goes into the thousands, revealing your subconscious dedication and unbreakable loyalty to the God-topic.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

I'm enamored with God in the same manner that our country was enamored with Hitler.

Hitler existed and God doesn't...according to atheists. Imagine what a waste of time it were to be so deeply preoccupied with something that doesn't exist.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Skyfloating

AfterInfinity

Hitler existed and God doesn't...according to atheists. Imagine what a waste of time it were to be so deeply preoccupied with something that doesn't exist.

God doesn't exist to my awareness, but the people and establishments devoted to him do. I also find it an entertaining exercise to explore that which doesnt exist. That's why I read books and watch movies.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

My relentlessness on the topic is due to my passion towards compassion towards humanity and our scientific progress, both of which I see at odds with religion.

What's your motive?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I see theism threatening the foundation of humanity. So this is me keeping an eye out and leveling the field wherever I can.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
My relentlessness on the topic is due to my passion towards compassion towards humanity and our scientific progress, both of which I see at odds with religion.

It is compassion toward humanity (even compassion toward Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians) that has you talk about God all the time? Alright. Whatever floats your boat.

What's your motive?

Im not preoccupied with God. I post on many different topics.

All the Best spreading your Compassion.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

People are hostile to what they don't understand. You don't understand theism, so you see it as a threat.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
So...did we ever get to the point of this thread?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I used to in my ignorance say that I was agnostic. But after doing a bit of research over the decades I found I was actually a Deist.

I was raised a Catholic, and was actually a alter boy at one point...which always gets my friends laughing their asses off.

While in the Army Reserves we would go to Germany quite often and since I had been stationed there for nine years I was always picked to go as well. We'd get two or three days off and I was always the tour guide/babysitter. Everytime we entered a church, without fail, some one took a picture of me coming through the door in the hopes of catching bursting into flame.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Skyfloating
reply to post by AfterInfinity

People are hostile to what they don't understand. You don't understand theism, so you see it as a threat.

Oh, I understand theism. That's why I can appreciate its danger. Theism isn't automatically a weapon, but its potential is certainly cause for concern.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Skyfloating
At the first layer of the subconscious, the atheist is an agnostic. At an even deeper layer, the atheist is absolutely obsessed with God, enamored, hopelessly in love. To hide that fact, he positions himself as an "atheist" while all other people notice that he spends countless hours on internet forums talking about God.

Your thinking is flawed.

Religion is influential in almost every aspect of our societies. No one has a right to make unsubstantiated assertions, or vouch for the truthfulness of unsubstantiated assertions on the basis of “sacred” texts, without expecting objections from thinking folk. I couldn't care less about your deities but your religions are another matter entirely And I think you will find most people here post against religion and not your deity.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Skyfloating

Lucid Lunacy

On what grounds are you possibly determining you know the subconscious processes of other people??

You having publicly presented thousands of posts on the subject of God, it follows that you have a keen and intense fixation. Are you denying that?

There are people that have thousands of posts on the subject of military spending, big government, Obama, and regulations are you saying they actually love those things? Whoops FOX News is actually left wing then right?
edit on 2-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EnPassant

if Richard Dawkins exists God exists, if Richard Dawkins does not exist, God exists anyhow. Q.E.D.

That would, only, indicate that Mr. Dawkins might not be God.

However, as an agnostic, I have neither belief, nor disbelief, in the possible existence of God. That is what a true "lack of belief" requires.

An atheist, on the other hand, and at the least, would have a personal disbelief regarding God's existence. Even as a personal expression, disbelief is, ALWAYS, the rejection of a belief. In truth, atheist's only possess a "half-assed" version of "a lack of belief", that only addresses one possibility, and completely ignores the other one.

At best, an "agnostic atheist" can, ONLY, be a "half-assed" agnostic.

Thanks for the comment.

See ya buddy,
Milt
edit on 840America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-02T13:10:17-06:00Sunday00000017America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

I believe in God.

As an agnostic, I can, most sincerely, respect that belief. And, quite honestly, I DO.

I also believe that something that can create something as vast, beautiful and wonderful as our universe is WAY beyond human comprehension. I do know it is not some old guy with a beard sitting in the clouds or a human being claiming he is a "living" God, that just seems silly and simple to me.

I couldn't agree more.

Thank you, very much, for your comment.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

BenReclused
reply to post by EnPassant

if Richard Dawkins exists God exists, if Richard Dawkins does not exist, God exists anyhow. Q.E.D.

That would, only, indicate that Mr. Dawkins might not be God.

However, as an agnostic, I have neither belief, nor disbelief, in the possible existence of God. That is what a true "lack of belief" requires.

An atheist, on the other hand, and at the least, would have a personal disbelief regarding God's existence. Even as a personal expression, disbelief is, ALWAYS, the rejection of a belief. In truth, atheist's only possess a "half-assed" version of "a lack of belief", that only addresses one possibility, and completely ignores the other one.

At best, an "agnostic atheist" can, ONLY, be a "half-assed" agnostic.

Thanks for the comment.

See ya buddy,
Milt
edit on 840America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-02T13:10:17-06:00Sunday00000017America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

On a more serious note, Dawkins says he is 'almost' sure there is no God - which makes him an agnostic, of sorts. One must have humility in all of this. The human intellect is not up to the job of answering big questions (the intellect only tests ideas). When people speak today about belief they mean an intellectual subscription to abstract ideas but 'belief' originally meant loyalty.

I met a guy once and he said to me "I am an existentialist". I thought it was the strangest thing to say. One cannot really be any of these things - atheist, extentialist etc. Even Sartre said he had to stop being an existentialist when he realised he could not kick a tramp on the street in Algiers. The intellect is simply not up to the job. One is a theist in terms of spirituality or one is not - the rest is commentary.
edit on 2-3-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Most people with sincere belief in God believe because of a more direct awareness, consciousness, not abstract intellectual machinations. Belief is a conviction on a deeper level. Atheism however is an intellectual stance. But I don't see how this can be. Philosophers have been trying to get to the end of the intellectual permutations for thousands of years and they have not solved anything. Part of the problem is that the intellect is human and by that I mean it is essentially bound up with the physical world. It thinks in human terms but these terms are too 'local'. 'The world' as the intellect sees it is really only a map that is built up through experience in the physical world and as a result it thinks in these terms, worldly terms. Spirituality transcends the human world. It doesn't mean much to say 'I am an atheist'. What could that possibly mean? I have figured it out???
edit on 2-3-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

How does an agnostic know that ultimate reality is unknowable? Isn't "ultimate reality is unknowable"...not knowable? Why not be agnostic about agnosticism? An agnostic contradicts himself the moment he calls himself an agnostic.

Agnosticism is still nonetheless an opinion regarding deities. They have made a judgement and feel like talking about it. This thread, being that it is submitted to a religious forum where discussions on gods ensue, is case in point. Rather than gravitate away from God, they are pulled back into it. It is a refusal to step completely outside of the circular reasoning involved in discussions on God, and therefor remaining in it strictly for the purposes of being able to share in the dogmatism.
edit on 2|3|14 by Words because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Grimpachi

There are people that have thousands of posts on the subject of military spending, big government, Obama, and regulations are you saying they actually love those things? Whoops FOX News is actually left wing then right?
edit on 2-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

Yes, there is a secret and subconscious love. Something you truly dont care about, you dont invest so much into. Everything is polarity...no valley without a mountain, no hot without cold, no left without right, no atheist without theists. The sides of polarities feed each other, live off of each other, need each other. Though usually one side is suppressed into the subconscious and the other side expressed consciously.

You'd be amazed at how empty atheists would feel if all of a sudden theists ceased to exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join