It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a hipster?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

LadySkadi
Hipster - Pretty much what the whole PNW thinks it is... Truth is, if more people identify then not, it's no longer sub or counter culture but hey - don't tell anyone

reply to post by captaintyinknots

Ha, I was going to make a comment about Portlandia but the video is better

edit on 1-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)
I was actually an extra on portlandia for an episode. Grimm too.

Really dont like the show, though.

Yeah, dont ever try and explain that irony to a portland hipster. Itll go right over their heads. Theres actually a great episode of The Simpsons about that very thing.

edit on 1-3-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
So to put all my preconceived notions [gained from this thread]in perspective; I drove from my small village to our largest town and went to a very hip coffee shop, reported to be a hipster hangout. They also served wine and beer and had live open mic stage. I sat alone and ordered a Dos X and settled in to listen to a female duo singing Dylan tunes.

For the record I'm an older balding, bearded, myopic, paunchy hippy, prone to wearing Tshirts, Levis, boots and a beat up cowboy hat and from a fashion stand point; stood out like a sore thumb.

After about 10 min. a cute hipster gal I recognized form our background/extra days on "Thor" sat down and said "whats ya drinkin cowboy" and without skipping a beat replied "how about Cuervo gold at your place"....

I'll leave the rest up to your imagination....

Irony indeed....

Here's something to remember from the King hipster himself....
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Trust me, you haven't seen a huge Hispanic pop. until you've been to L.A. You might be right, but judging by the downtown areas, I saw mostly whites. And I did see a good amount of Asians; I meant to edit that.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

You're right, actually. Portland's demographic is 76.1% white and 7.1% Asian (non-mixed). LA's Asian population is double Portland's. I think the perception of a larger Asian population in Portland is perhaps due to having a Chinatown type area and the Japanese Gardens as a symbol of its sister-city status with Sapporo, Japan. Also, if one heads up the road a bit to Portland State University in the downtown area, the demographic changes rather wildly as that university has a pretty good number of students from China. They are Chinese citizens though going to school overseas--not necessarily immigrants or full residents. Even if those students were included though, LA would still have Portland beat in terms of Asian population.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Yeah, and I truly didn't see many Hispanics. I know for a fact that they are there though, because we took a trip with our Mexican neighbor, whose family lived in one of the suburbs. Everybody in that little community seemed to be Hispanic. But I saw mostly white, and a few Asians downtown. The reason I vacillate between a few and many Asians is because I'm trying to dig deep within my memory. A lot of things have happened since then, for me.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Demographic definitely changes a bit in the suburbs but it's still largely the same from what I can tell. My particular suburb is still largely white with a few minorities. It may shift a little in some neighborhoods definitely though in the greater metro area. Just depends on what neighborhood you're driving through. Your memory of downtown is pretty much spot on. I was down there nearly every day for several years and it was largely white by my memory, too.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I just hope people from Portland aren't trying to whitewash the facts, such as the facts that you discovered online, and in your own memory.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

I just hope people from Portland aren't trying to whitewash the facts, such as the facts that you discovered online, and in your own memory.

Probably not. Principle of charity would apply as a lot of the time, our perceptions are based on our immediate environment and that can actually skew our perception of what actually exists in the larger surrounding environment. It's kind of like someone living and working in a suburb thinking that homelessness isn't a big problem in their city. Similar principle.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Good point.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Trust me, you haven't seen a huge Hispanic pop. until you've been to L.A. You might be right, but judging by the downtown areas, I saw mostly whites. And I did see a good amount of Asians; I meant to edit that.
Ive spent plenty of time in LA. And yes, they do have a huge hispanic population. Even more so in San Diego. And Phoenix and Tucson may just be higher than all of them.

Ive been to all of these places, as well as places like Boise and Twin Falls, which truly have a low hispanic population.

That you "didnt see many" in your short time here hardly makes an accurate assessment.

But hey, you spent a miniscule amount of time here. Ive lived here my whole life. You MUST have a more accurate idea of what its like here.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

WhiteAlice

You're right, actually. Portland's demographic is 76.1% white and 7.1% Asian (non-mixed). LA's Asian population is double Portland's. I think the perception of a larger Asian population in Portland is perhaps due to having a Chinatown type area and the Japanese Gardens as a symbol of its sister-city status with Sapporo, Japan. Also, if one heads up the road a bit to Portland State University in the downtown area, the demographic changes rather wildly as that university has a pretty good number of students from China. They are Chinese citizens though going to school overseas--not necessarily immigrants or full residents. Even if those students were included though, LA would still have Portland beat in terms of Asian population.

Nope. The reason Portland's Asian population is thought to be so high (which is a relatively new thing for the area) is the tech industries here. The Asian population are consentrated to areas for the most part, so people who live in, say, Beaverton ( a suburb of portland) will see a higher number than people in, say, hillsboro, who will see a much denser population of hispanics.

That said, there is also a fairly long history of asians in portland, going all the way back to pioneering/railroading days, through the shainghai tunnel days, and now into the tech era.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Demographic definitely changes a bit in the suburbs but it's still largely the same from what I can tell. My particular suburb is still largely white with a few minorities. It may shift a little in some neighborhoods definitely though in the greater metro area. Just depends on what neighborhood you're driving through. Your memory of downtown is pretty much spot on. I was down there nearly every day for several years and it was largely white by my memory, too.
You are correct here. I have lived in beaverton and hillsboro (both on the far west of portland), i have lived in the Mt. Tabor area (50 or so blocks east of the river), in Laurelhurst (close in NE), and in the Pearl (NW Downtown). Every single area had a different demographic.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

BACK.

ON.

TOPIC.

And the topic is:

What's a hipster?

The topic is not Hispanics, Asians, demographics or Portland.....You are responsible for your own posts.

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hipsters are just ugly people who still get laid

I have never heard of Hipsters until you bought it to my attention

The link provided shows a lot of pic's, beware, some are scary and not for the old and faint hearted

www.google.com.au... &bih=585

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

keenasbro
Hipsters are just ugly people who still get laid

I have never heard of Hipsters until you bought it to my attention

Ugly people? Check this out.....
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What's a hipster?
Hipster can be the modern version of Nostradamus "HIster",

n modern English the term is most commonly encountered in its use by Nostradamus, especially in a phrase at quatrain II.24 commonly translated "most of the battle (or armies) will be against Hister":

Bestes farouches de faim fluves tranner:
Plus part du camp encontre Hister sera,
En caige de fer le grand fera treisner,
Quand Rin enfant Germain observera.

[Nostradamus, Les Propheties, first printing 1555][1]

or, in English:

Beasts wild with hunger shall cross the rivers:
Most of the fighting shall be close by the Hister [Danube],
It shall result in the great one being dragged in an iron cage,
While the German shall be watching over the infant Rhine.

en wiki...en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Among other things - hipsters are some kind of threat...I guess

4) Hipsters who think they are so cool. Greg Gutfeld is a “libertarian” and doesn’t hold himself out as a member of the Christian right. But he’s happy to pander to right-wing persecution fantasies anyway, with his new book Not Cool: The Hipster Elite and Their War on You. How are hipsters oppressing conservatives? Apparently, those meanie hipsters are being cool at conservatives and oppressing them by making them feel like they’re maybe not as cool. You may think your Fluevogs and vinyl copy of Chromeo’s new record are just things you like, but apparently, your mere permission of these items persecutes conservatives who prefer to wear Crocs and listen to bro country. Cool people are, according to Gutfeld, destroying America “from within,” because “each day they pass judgment on those who don’t worship at the altar of their coolness.” That, or they aren’t even bothering to spare a thought for their less cool conservative brethren, but ignoring them is probably a form of persecution, too.

Only this part is on topic - but the whole thing is amusing

:-)

Hope you're having a lovely Sunday my friend

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Cuervo you exhibit some of defining characteristics of these "hipsters", a sarcastic, biting sense of humor, the use of erudite vocabulary, a desire to be recognized, a possible interest in philosophy and ancient lore. Also making references to Samhain, and other pagan practices.

There is culture war going on, partly because of the economic collapse of 2008, partly because of the advances made in UFO research, partly because a new generation came of age during and served in the wars in the middle east. The current president and the elites want to shift the culture of the U.S. from the "hipster" culture that influenced much of the 90's and early 2000's (which they blame for certain problems in the U.S.), to cultural attributes from the Midwest (oh man, this is going to be painful). Along with this is a return to traditional religious beliefs, an emphasis on middling values, turning away from abstract philosophical thought or theoretical discussions, a de-emphasis on the extreme, the strange, the unknown, or the new. They want to return to cultural attributes of the 50's and early 60's, they want people to go to work, pay bills, stay out of certain forms of debt, and "respect" their authority (just like Cartman).

One can see the effect by comparing movies, music, and other arts made in the 80's and 90's to those made in the later 2000's. The current state of the arts is stale and derivative, many movies and musical artists look and sound the same. Unfortunately the same thing is happening to the sciences, no one is allowed to be exceptional because, whatever transcends the limitations of their peers appears to be an obstacle to the peer's desires.

I find it hypocritical, those who like to judge "hipsters", often based strictly on some loosely defined notion of hipster, cannot themselves take crtisism, nor are they capable of adequately defining their thoughts or political stance by which to defend their position, they often lack the education and intelligence!! - I think we see why some people don't like "hipsters", they can't read a book to save their lives.
edit on 9-3-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I don't like the Urban Dictionary definition, Wikipedia comes much closer. en.wikipedia.org...

Hipster comes from the sub culture of writers and musicians in the 1940's, namely Jazz musicians and Beat Generation writers like Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac. You have to listen to the music and read some of these awesome guys books to get the idea they were trying to convey. The idea mostly comprises peoples feelings and attitudes towards drugs, sex, music and all manner of philosophy which is said to be the hip way to look at things. Hipsters do not follow a dress code as some sites suggest. That would be anti hip forcing people into a cookie cutter style. Howl by Ginsberg and On The Road by Kerouac will get you going.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join