It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a hipster?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I see the term "hipster" bandied about a lot on social media sites, but honestly I don't even know what a hipster is in today world.
What are hipster attitudes, music, fashion, etc. Are their sub genres in hipsterdom and who are some famous hipsters.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

olaru12
I see the term "hipster" bandied about a lot on social media sites, but honestly I don't even know what a hipster is in today world.
What are hipster attitudes, music, fashion, etc. Are their sub genres in hipsterdom and who are some famous hipsters.

Here allow me to google that for you...

Hipster - Urban Dictionary

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I knew what a hipster was before it was popular...

(post by boncho removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

olaru12

Basically, they are people who purposely exhibit ironic and poor fashion sense to be, well, ironic. Trucker hats with obscure diner logos on them, flannels, cowboy boots, big rimmed glasses, corn-cob pipes, 50's stuff, etc. They come in all sorts and the current style is transient so they can avoid detection. The true irony is that they do this to be subversive and original yet they all dress alike, for the most part.

I think the only cure is for non-hipsters and "uncool" people to dress exactly like hipsters so the hipsters will "ironically" have to dress up as the non-hipsters (who will then be dressed like hipsters) and therefore destroying the logic circuits in their brains.

Only then can the rest of us get bluegrass and decent folk music back into the hands of people who genuinely like it.

ps - There's also a line they seem reluctant to cross. I've yet so see a hipster wear a Justin Bieber shirt or sport a swastika for the sake of irony. Time will tell if this restraint will last long enough to eliminate the hipster insurgency.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The word sounds like it would originate from urban dictionary, and recommend linking words such as "Conquer" & "Divide".

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Basically, they are people who purposely exhibit ironic and poor fashion sense to be, well, ironic. Trucker hats with obscure diner logos on them, flannels, cowboy boots, big rimmed glasses, corn-cob pipes, 50's stuff, etc. They come in all sorts and the current style is transient so they can avoid detection. The true irony is that they do this to be subversive and original yet they all dress alike, for the most part.

So are you saying they are most likely insecure geeks looking for attention?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'd guess it's someone who has an artificial hip
I must be getting old.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

rangerdanger

olaru12

Here allow me to google that for you...

Hipster - Urban Dictionary

I could give a **** what urbandictionary.com says. I wanted personal opinions. But thanks; you sound like a hipster....

edit on 28-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm 51.

Can I be a hipster, or would the irony implode and create a singularity that would eliminate all life within the known universe?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by Cuervo

So are you saying they are most likely insecure geeks looking for attention?

Not exclusively but the correlation is high.

Intelligence reports a growing number of these hipsters who are actually quite ignorant of the fact that they are hipsters. These can be from various backgrounds but most likely run on the edge of the lower end of the autism spectrum for reading social ques. The alpha hipsters are probably modifying their agenda to exploit these poor "sleeper cell" hipsters for a later time of action.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ironic and poor fashion sense.... I think I was hipster before hipster was cool.

but now I can't be....Damn you kids

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

beezzer
I'm 51.

Can I be a hipster, or would the irony implode and create a singularity that would eliminate all life within the known universe?

Perhaps that's the answer. You are the secret weapon; the Chosen One, so to speak.

Just like many other alien invasion narratives in pop-culture, they can be wiped out by a virus. That virus could be cultivated and incubated by a host hipster. This hipster would have to be about 51 and willing to give up all originality for a new set of "originality" codes and ethics. To be original like everybody else is a tall order. Once trusted, this person would then be able to infect and influence the hipsters into thinking that dressing like they did before they became hipsters is truly the ironic goal of hipsterism.

I think you could pull this off, Beez.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Your explanation just gave me a nose bleed.

I'll think I'll stick to "Grumpy old man" and say, "Get off my lawn!" a lot instead.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I remember a Seinfeld episode where Kramer is complaining about being called a hipster doofus or some stuff like that. The designation actually goes back far.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Cuervo

Intelligence reports a growing number of these hipsters who are actually quite ignorant of the fact that they are hipsters. These can be from various backgrounds but most likely run on the edge of the lower end of the autism spectrum for reading social ques. The alpha hipsters are probably modifying their agenda to exploit these poor "sleeper cell" hipsters for a later time of action.

OMG....how much more irony can America take? Is there any recourse we dweebs can take. Oh no....I said "dweeb" may God forgive me!

I was hoping for some answers from real hipsters. I see the sarcastic senior citizens are well represented.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
To me, a male hipster would wear black framed glasses and a pink shirt. That seems to be a popular trend these days. Now, even some women are wearing those big black framed glasses.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

olaru12

Cuervo

OMG....how much more irony can America take? Is there any recourse we dweebs can take. Oh no....I said "dweeb" may God forgive me!

I was hoping for some answers from real hipsters. I see the sarcastic senior citizens are well represented.

LOLZ

It would destroy the illusion of aloofness and irony to have one actually explain.

There'd have to be reason behind it and a train of thought not generated by the latest choco-tofu-ego-latte doled out by Starbucks at 15 dollars a pop!

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Cuervo

Your explanation just gave me a nose bleed.

I'll think I'll stick to "Grumpy old man" and say, "Get off my lawn!" a lot instead.

You sure? Rabbits make the perfect hipsters and they were vegan before it was cool.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

boncho

I think that, more ironic than being a hipster, is that this model was probably on another fashion shoot where she played an annoying, vapid, mall-rat teenager.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join