It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada’s convoluted firearms regulations should have legal gun owners worried..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I searched, but; we all know how that goes. Apologies if this has been posted already.

For anyone who thinks Canada is being left out of the Gun-Grabbing scheme, things could be about to pick up here.

At the just-concluded Liberal national policy convention, a motion called for Australian-style gun control in Canada. This would see a huge number of guns seized from their owners in exchange for monetary compensation, and then destroyed. The motion was defeated, but that didn’t stop some Tory MPs from warning lawful gun owners that the Liberals are out to get them. Why, some mused, they may even resurrect the long-gun registry.

without a second amendment to hang onto, Canadian gun owners won't even be offered compensation for their "prohibited" weapons if this comes down the pipe.

Owners who do not hold the rare prohibited-class licence must surrender their rifles for destruction, without compensation. If they don’t, they could be imprisoned for possessing a prohibited firearm without a licence. For years.

For anyone who doesn't know, Canada's Long Gun Registry was abolished just last year.

Vote Harper, eh?

Canada’s lawful firearms owners deserve answers. They deserve better than this. And all Canadians deserve a firearms classification system overseen by independent technical experts. The RCMP and its government masters clearly aren’t up to this job.

I for one, did not; nor do I know anyone who did.

Source: National Post Article

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EmpathicBandit

Sounds like standard political rhetoric .Harpers Cons want to win the next election and will say what ever it takes to scare his base into voting against the other political party ...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
And what's the lesson that people should be learning?

As it so happens, Canada’s lawful gun owners had reason to be worried. But not about the Liberals. It’s the Tories who are seizing legally purchased firearms from law-abiding Canadian gun owners. And they aren’t even offering any cash in return.

The government hates your guns. Doesnt matter what the party is.

Folks in the US still havent learned that. Reagan is help up as some "conservative" icon when he did just as much to further the cause of gun control as Clinton did.

Government hates liberty. All government, all liberty.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
they tried gun amnesty on toronto once
If i remember correctly
the cops were caught selling the nice ones out the back door right back onto the street

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

Sounds like standard political rhetoric .Harpers Cons want to win the next election and will say what ever it takes to scare his base into voting against the other political party ...

agreed. i only wish there were more open eyes to watch the horizon; though i fear the worst with the coming elections.
So many people blinded by the bad hair piece and blind stare.. *shudder*

indubitably.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Danbones
they tried gun amnesty on toronto once
If i remember correctly
the cops were caught selling the nice ones out the back door right back onto the street

I dont recall hearing about that one, but thats not surprising in the least.
LEO's here, though still canadian (haha), arent saints either.

a cop is a cop is a cop and a cop by any other name would smell just as foul.
(generalizing, yes, out of the question? not really)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
And what's the lesson that people should be learning?

As it so happens, Canada’s lawful gun owners had reason to be worried. But not about the Liberals. It’s the Tories who are seizing legally purchased firearms from law-abiding Canadian gun owners. And they aren’t even offering any cash in return.

Folks in the US still havent learned that. Reagan is help up as some "conservative" icon when he did just as much to further the cause of gun control as Clinton did.

Government hates liberty. All government, all liberty.

Not to mention the lovely war on drugs he gave us.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
We have a fairly large native population that would fight tooth and nail for their guns. There's been military vrs native scenarios before quite recently, I am sure it would escalate to that point again if they took away our guns. Also, so many people depend on hunting and fishing in Canada, where having a gun is more useful as a tool and safety from wild life more than anything else.
A few years back I my volunteer group for the Bruce trail needed some able bodied workers to help out with one of the new northern legs, it was remote and we had to take a quick firearm training course to be able to be on the team because the head of the team was carrying a rifle, just in case.
Long story short, we never used it, but that course we took and that rifle being there gave me a sense of respect and danger of that tool, and I knew it could save our lives one day. The problem is guns get into the wrong hands, not just criminals but people who think guns are just toys, or a weapon, there is a lack of respect for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

I agree. Canada doesn't have the same police force and the majority of gun owners live in remote communities or communities where even the police rely on hunting to help sustain them. Where I am in canada is a part of ontario that more than half the population doesn't even know exists. When our registry was in effect the cops and the ministry of natural resources just laughed. On the other hand they did seize guns that weren't registered. That is if ur a dumba** and store them out in the open with no trigger locks and ammo close by.
They can try as they may to take them. Truth of the matter is, is that I think unlike America, Canadians aren't afraid of the average joe with a f'n badge. Everyone sees us as these polite, lay down an take it people. Ever mess with a pissed of canadian? Better yet...ever mess with millions of pissed off hunters whose only purpose of owning a gun is to provide wild meat and sustainable food for their family?
I'm sure one day we will see the police trying to subdue our rights with brute force. But! We have millions of square kilometres of untamed wilderness. I can walk 15 minutes from my town and get lost. Come take my rifle if you can! :-)
That's my peace! I grin at the thought that any man, uniform or not in this country tries to tell me I can no longer provide for my family the way my father provided for him.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

and us metis...
knife check, axe, check saw, check, gun, check, fishing rod, check , beer check....wife check...
hey ...she put the car ahead of me on her list....hey and beer too...

Not all our cops are bad...for the most part we may have one of the best over all in the world
a few bad apples...and they are a product of a natianlization( and revenue collection) that may not have the best motives in mind
thier pension funds and immune systems and bank accounts are just as vulnerable as everyone elses'are
edit on 28-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This country and it's gun laws have been a joke for decades now. Anyone who has legally owned a firearm (restricted or otherwise) has known this has been the plan all along. I myself don't own any firearms as the law is so full of red tape that getting your restricted license requires hundreds of dollars, hours of training, and all sorts of bureaucratic hoop jumping. I do intend to go through with the process, but I have a good friend who has already done so and does sport shooting very frequently as a hobby. He owns a number of restricted firearms legally, and has had all kinds of problems due to his hobby.

Canada is a shameful place to be for anyone who owns guns or likes to shoot for sport. Even collectors are demonized, and law abiding people are treated like criminals. The people here eat the anti-gun crap hook line and sinker, and look at you like you are a psychopath if you mention that you enjoy shooting at the range or are against the gun control agenda, because they have been indoctrinated by anti-gun propaganda for half a century. The gun control policies of the Canadian government have done NOTHING to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals however, and street thugs and drug dealers alike are the only armed citizens on the streets (other than the police).

The worst part about the whole situation is that most Canadians are completely brainwashed on the issue and support the gun grabbing agenda because that is all they've been hearing for years. They don't think for themselves intelligently about the issue, and outside of rural populations and conservative strongholds, are fully prepared to let the government take away what little rights they have left.

Going to be sort of difficult for us to "stand on guard for thee" when the crooks are the only ones with guns.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

This got defeated at the convention. At least the Liberals are deciding as a group what policy positions they're going to take. Harper doesn't allow discussion. If the Liberals were the party in power, would they actually try and pass this? Doubt it. I think its just Conservatives trying to spin things.

What we should be more afraid of is Harper's backwards position on things such as the war on drugs (couldn't help but laugh at the radio ads essentially saying marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol and tobacco) or how he's completely controlling our politics by pruning anyone who tows the party line on any given issue out of the party.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

Harper doesn't need to scare gun owners away from voting liberal. Their track record is more than enough, and nobody in their right mind will vote liberal if they care even one iota for sane gun laws in this country.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I think it aimed more at his base .Even they are having second thoughts with the senate scandal and what might have happened inside the PMO .There are other things Harper and Company have done that has made their base question what going on .I jump on some of the Blue blogs and from what I have seen it's not looking good for a repeat .They may end up with a minority next time and we may end up with a coalition Govt. unless the NDP pulls off the unthinkable ... Not really out of the realm of possibilities but probably not going to happen . just saying .

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Portugoal

This got defeated at the convention. At least the Liberals are deciding as a group what policy positions they're going to take. Harper doesn't allow discussion. If the Liberals were the party in power, would they actually try and pass this? Doubt it. I think its just Conservatives trying to spin things.

What we should be more afraid of is Harper's backwards position on things such as the war on drugs (couldn't help but laugh at the radio ads essentially saying marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol and tobacco) or how he's completely controlling our politics by pruning anyone who tows the party line on any given issue out of the party.

is that a development since last night? the latest i can find is as follows:

CTV NEWS link

The Harper government, which has championed the rights of gun owners for years, is reviewing a decision by the RCMP to effectively ban a previously legal rifle.
The National Firearms Association says the Mounties have reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green carbine as a prohibited weapon, essentially banning it

NFA article

Effective 10:00 pm eastern tonight the RCMP has reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green carbine from non-restricted (and restricted) to prohibited status.

CBC video link

edit on 28-2-2014 by EmpathicBandit because: added more links

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I think you are right on the money and we are headed for a coalition. I've never really been a fan of Harper and find a lot of the conservative parties policies to be unsavory, but he gets bonus points for keeping the Canadian economy in relatively good shape through a global recession. Not only that, but the conservatives seem to be the only viable party in Canada that have a somewhat sane outlook on gun ownership. That is enough for me to continue voting for them, and unfortunately I have to choose what I consider to be a crappy party based on that issue alone, because if the liberals see another majority government we can pretty much kiss gun rights goodbye in this country.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I think you are right on the money and we are headed for a coalition. I've never really been a fan of Harper and find a lot of the conservative parties policies to be unsavory, but he gets bonus points for keeping the Canadian economy in relatively good shape through a global recession. Not only that, but the conservatives seem to be the only viable party in Canada that have a somewhat sane outlook on gun ownership. That is enough for me to continue voting for them, and unfortunately I have to choose what I consider to be a crappy party based on that issue alone, because if the liberals see another majority government we can pretty much kiss gun rights goodbye in this country.

I am curious, what do you think about the NDP? I think its unfortunate that people would want to further support the Treasonous Harper Cons for Gun rights alone. I am a firm believer in non-restriction of Gun rights.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Not Canadian here but it seems as the cities grow and the seat of government surrounds itself with city folk and at some point they believe they know what is best for the whole nation. Someone living in a city has a whole different mind set than someone out in the boonies going to the local stream for a supper catch. All I can say is good luck...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VanMan420

When I was younger I voted NDP all the time as I was much more left leaning than I am now. I think the NDP have some good ideas but economically speaking they would probably drive the economy into the dirt if they ever somehow managed to win a majority. In all honesty I'm not happy with any of Canada's major political parties, and if the libertarian party of Canada had a snowballs chance in hell of winning a decent amount of seats they would get my vote every time.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I've perfectly happy having less guns in Canada.

I see no problems. We aren't a gun culture centric population. We hunt and and some shoot for sport, but it certainly isn't any where near the level of the US or other countries for that matter.

Why the liberals or any other party would start a conversation regarding gun ownership and legislation, when there are literally hundreds of more pressing issues to deal with, is sort of beyond me.

It certainly will not be an issue in the election. I doubt they'll be any mention of gun control at all. We have far bigger fish to fry.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2 >>

join