It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The DoD's new mobile SOF base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Thought this interesting, the Navy is now getting a floating commando base, loaded with all the comforts and toys the SOF may need to conduct their clandestine missions around the globe.
The Cragside is a converted container ship and could set to sea this Winter.

The U.S. Navy is quietly converting a 633-foot-long cargo ship into a secretive helicopter carrier with facilities for supporting a large contingent of Special Operations Forces and all their gear, including jet skis. Yes, jet skis. And here’s the really weird thing: almost nobody is talking about the new “mothership” vessel, even though it could significantly expand America’s at-sea commando footprint.

How much anyone wants to bet that there might be a couple stealth helicopters aboard her when she sets sail.

Source

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

It is all cool and everything, but isn't it a large sitting duck?

I wonder how you sneak that into an area to do secret operations when everyone knows what it is now? With no surface ships along to protect it, it would be vulnerable to attack.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

im sure there is plenty more that will be attached to it...other ships..air units...satellites..etc...looks cool but ya the first thought i had was sitting duck...but it wont be alone

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It'll probably sat inside the defense perimeter along with carriers and other support vessels but it'll probably make it easier for the SF troops to get ready and do briefings and also all the toys will probably have their own proper place no more shoe horning in places not built for the task and i suppose theres less chance of mission prep details leaking beforehand as only those on the ship will know and they'll be more vetted and trusted than the guys lets say on a carrier where scuttlebutt travels faster than a dose of the texan two step on burrito night

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

That makes sense.
Especially the scuttlebutt and shoehorning.
My time on an '___' gives me some experience with hauling things and personnel for special missions. It was a pain in the arse for the ship's personnel and the operators.

OOPS! I forgot that I can't type out the initials for 'Landing Ship Dock'.... it is confused with a drug.

edit on bu282014-02-28T10:14:02-06:0010America/ChicagoFri, 28 Feb 2014 10:14:02 -060010u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
For a time, I also served on a dock landing ship. The USS Fort McHenry. It was used to haul just about everyone wherever they had to go. Marines. Seals. Swcc. Seabees. EOD. Army Corps of Engineers. Anybody to anywhere.

It did the job well. We could haul up to 6 helicopters on the flight deck and any combination of LCACs, LCUs, AAVs, small boats and land vehicles in the well deck. And we could carry around 500 troops in addition to the crew.

The only benefit of this converted container ship is going to be a much higher personnel capacity and probably better accommodations. The Fort Mac was functional but never comfortable.

Although, the Fort Mac had anti-air defenses, some Browning M2s and 25mm cannons. I can only assume the Cragside will be unarmed given that it is civilian owned and operated and on lease to the Navy for this whole "sea basing" thing.

new topics

top topics

join