It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perchlorate in Food/Water Supply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Doing a search in ATS, the most recent thread on this subject was back in 2007: www.abovetopsecret.com...

However, I just stumbled across this article done in January, 2008:

www.marketwatch.com... iteid=e2eaol

Apparantely, perchlorate is a rocket fuel component.

Perchlorate has been found in the groundwater, surface water, drinking water or soil in at least 35 states and the District of Columbia, according to a report from the Government Accountability Office. Most U.S.-made perchlorate, which is also used in items such as fireworks and road flares, is for use by the military and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, according to the GAO.

"There is abundant evidence of high levels of perchlorate in our nation's drinking water and health studies have documented that the most vulnerable members of our population, children and infants, have been exposed to unsafe levels of this thyroid toxin," Wynn said. "Now, most recently, the FDA has uncovered potential perchlorate exposure through our food supply. Faced with these facts, the EPA's delay is unacceptable. The time has come for a national standard limiting the amount of perchlorate in our drinking water."

If you don't think your government is killing you, think again. Regardless of whether or not it's intentional or just through not caring, the end result is the same.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am so friggin' ticked off that somewhere in this country there is a group of individuals that feels it is "ok" to have poisons in our food and water supply. I don't give a rat's behind what guidelines the EPA sets. The correct answer is ZERO ppm! In my opinion, no one has the right to determine what is a "safe and acceptable" level of poison, period! It shouldn't be there.

If you want all of these wonderful advances that technology brings with it, then you make dang sure that you're not destroying your population in the process otherwise, be prepared to cover the healthcare costs of evey individual you're exposing to these dangers. But nooooo...they can determine what they feel is "safe" which is basically nothing more than a smoke screen as to what is actually the accceptable cost-risk threshold that corporations will be willing to submit to, and then they expect parents to abosrb the care costs of children with developmental disabilities and the plethora of other health care issues that get cuased by this total lack of regard for human life.

This world disgusts me.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
More information on perchlorate:

en.wikipedia.org...

www.dangerouspollutants.com...

I particularly like this one:
www.councilonwaterquality.org...

where:

The Council on Water Quality is supported by Lockheed Martin, Aerojet, Tronox and American Pacific Corporation. These companies have worked cooperatively with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to increase scientific and medical understanding of perchlorate's risk to human health.

Yeah... I trust those companies to tell me my water supply is fine.

www.dtsc.ca.gov...

There's a ton of info out there if you want to hunt it down.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Let me think this one over...we spend millions to shoot down a satellite, because it could crash and cause hydrazine to spread over a size of two football fields, yet we have perchlorate in our water and soil...

I remember years ago hearing that every license given to build a nuclear power plant (apply that to other plants) is a license to kill, given that it is certain to be responsible for death to a certain percentage of the population, even if that percentage is small. Choices we Earthlings make.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think the thing that ticked me off so bad about this was the part of the article talking about foods like veggies and fruits being impacted by it as they abosrb a lot of water. So....a person thinks they're doing the right thing by avoiding processed foods and such, staying with organics, etc... and then you run across something like this that let's you know that you are STILL being exopsed via food to toxins that shouldn't be there.

Yes...I know that perchlorate exists naturally, but I'm specifically referring to the man made perchlorate that was never intended to be introduced into our evironment, water or food.

I truly have no hope that mankind will ever be responsible for the actions that it takes. The Matrix had it right.. humans are nothing but a virus.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Apsaroke

Perchlorate is a salt, and certain of the perchlorates can be used as an oxidizer in rocket fuel.

But this is really nothing major IMO. We have been pumping chlorine and fluoride into drinking water for decades, which has much more harmful effects. It is even quite probable that the high perchlorate levels are a result of the chlorine reacting with water and the contaminants it contains normally.

A Wikipedia explanation of perchlorate
A Wikipedia explanation of chlorine
A Wikipedia explanation of fluoride
Compare and enjoy...

edit to add:

A natural perchlorate is no different than a man-made perchlorate. It's ClO4- either way. Oh, yes, and there was more hydrazine released over Texas in the space shuttle disaster than there was ever on the satellite... that's a cover story.

TheRedneck

[edit on 1-3-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine in my gloomy evening? lol

Seriosuly tho.. I really do appreciate the info and the links!!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
hello apsaroke,
hopefully you read this post if your looking for some info on perclorate.
being born and raised in simi valley , california i was exposed to heavy amounts of perclorate's and i might be able to help you out some..
growing up in a valley directly adjasent to to rockwell's rocketdyne plant at burro flats in the hill's between the simi and the san fernando valley's i've seen lot's of i'll effect's caused by perclorate and other toxin's.
. basically it's not very good for the human body. one of the i'll effect's of this being introduced to the human body are tumor's . as a matter of fact i've had several fatty tumor's cut out of my body so far as a direct result of being exposed to perclorate.
these very irresponsible morons were washing down the rocket motor's with solvent and just letting it run down the canyon's into the valley's below. it also soak's into the ground and can go as deep as 600 to 800 feet deep and into the ground water which we in the valley drank , bathed and cooked with .
as childeren we swam in a small resevoir directly below the labratory. we being avid hunter's and fishermen ate deer , rabbits, snakes,cradad's and also fish that we stocked in this resevoir ourselves.
but check this out because that's just the tip of the iceberg man. this same feild labratory is the place where the first commercial atomic power plant was built in the united states that provided energy for the public. there were three melt downs that were never even contained or covered up in any way whatsoever and nobody was ever informed until 25 or so years later..
here's a link to wiki that will explain a little more and hopefully it will give you a starting point. i'll get back to you a little later as the little woman is telling me to get off of the computer..en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 1-3-2008 by ironman433]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Whoa, thank you for that link! I had never heard of the Santa Susana facility. After reading some of this, I can see why. I wouldn't go around bragging about such a disaster either!

I doubt the levels of perchlorate in the general drinking water are as concentrated as what you experienced, but sheesh... how did you manage to live through that? (I'm glad you did, btw)

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Thank you very much for sharing your story and I look forward to hearing from you again.

My heart goes out to you and the effects that you're having to live with due to the gross irresponsibility of others.

In my original post, I had this link placed, but for convenience, I'll add it in again here: www.dangerouspollutants.com...

It's basically a call for a lawsuit:

Perchlorate affects the ability of the thyroid gland to take up iodine. Iodine is needed to make thyroid hormones that regulate many body functions after they are released into the blood. There is concern that exposure of people to higher amounts of perchlorate for a long time may lower the level of thyroid activity leading to hypothyroidism. Low levels of thyroid hormones in the blood may lead to adverse effects on the skin, cardiovascular system, pulmonary system, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, liver, blood, neuromuscular system, nervous system, skeleton, male and female reproductive system, and numerous endocrine organs.

The Law Firm of Allen L. Rothenberg is currently investigating cases of toxic chemical exposure. If you or a loved one has been exposed, diagnosed, injured or killed by the dangerous pollutant, PERCHLORATE, please fill out our free case evaluation or call our offices at 1-800-624-8888.

I'm going to be exploring the prevelance of perchloratte in the areas where I grew up (Northwest) and here in TN where I live now. The last link in the original post has some great maps and spill reports, etc..

I'd be pleased with any info that you could provide.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apsaroke
I'm going to be exploring the prevelance of perchloratte in the areas where I grew up (Northwest) and here in TN where I live now.

I would be very interested in knowing any information you find out myself. I know the texts I referenced said it was not a major problem, but that, like all information in science, can be revised under new light.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
redneck let me tell you that the city of simi valley,ca it still using one well whick put's the ground water in addition to the water supply taken from the california aquaduct so it is still being put into the water there.
growing up there it was a semi rural community and and quite a bit of citrus , walnut's , avacado's ,wheat and other produce where grown there. sourounding the valley were several cattle ranches one which butted up to the santa susana field labratory. can you imagine how much beef was introduced into the food chain and distrubuted throughout the country to other unsuspecting people over the year's. those cattle grazed on food contaminated with perclorate's and atomic waste and the people who ran the facility knowingly let it happen.
i have several freinds that have or are currently suffering from lukemia and other cancer's so i consider myself lucky so far " knock on wood "..
thank you for the telephone # i've been thinking alot about this subject lately and just might call it..
since i'm having trouble i will put this link here as an edit.( where there's a will there's a way )
www.stoprunkledyne.com... tyBeat.pdf

[edit on 2-3-2008 by ironman433]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'll be throwing stuff in here as I run across it, otherwise, I'll forget where I found what.

Soo... here:
www.dtsc.ca.gov...

One thing that really tweaked my interest is towards the bottom of the pdf chart...

Cloud seeding, ? for the concetration used, and the comments state: Experimental

So.. if you're also into the chemtrails thing....this is an interesting and very disturbing tie in.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
While this appears to be primarily focused on California, it is an excellent slide presentation...

ironman, you may find some of the things presented in this slide presentation to be very applicable to your situation.

www.dtsc.ca.gov...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

top topics

join