It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Rant as a Thirsty Californian...Ridiculous

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm with you PublicE, I'm up north near the capital (that's Sacramento pheonix358).

I too am disappointed in Obamas decision to not help. Perhaps when he opened the books all he saw was an endless stream of red tape from the environmental groups, he threw his hands up and walked away.

Don't need him, I'm digging your optimism about Californian's stepping up and working this out.

Its nice to get the rain this week but it looks like up here we will still have cities on mandatory water restrictions. SacBee

Here are some picks I took down by the American River.

You can see the water line on the tower.

Looking up stream

Down stream

Large Salmon Carcass quite a few of these out on the river bottom.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Observationalist because: Added link

edit on 28-2-2014 by Observationalist because: Oops

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

You know, I agree with you. Especially when I think about 'state of emergency' money given to states to rebuild after a hurricane, tornadoes, etc. In the case of hurricanes especially, the folks rebuilding their summer beach houses... phfff... cry me a river, right???

But a drought that has been years in the making... in an area that supplies so much of our nation's food... it's just reprehensible to me that no one sees THIS is a REAL state of emergency, effecting ALL states. For all those who shrug it off, please remember your food prices will soar as the supply drops.

Now... I think they could start by diverting water away from ALL unnecessary playgrounds (golf courses, etc) in surrounding areas, but that would be a drop in the bucket I am sure. (All those country club types who are ticked off at not getting their exercise on the green can go help out at the orchards, LoL...)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Observationalist
I'm with you PublicE, I'm up north near the capital (that's Sacramento pheonix358).

I too am disappointed in Obamas decision to not help. Perhaps when he opened the books all he saw was an endless stream of red tape from the environmental groups, he threw his hands up and walked away.

Don't need him, I'm digging your optimism about Californian's stepping up and working this out.

Its nice to get the rain this week but it looks like up here we will still have cities on mandatory water restrictions. SacBee

Here are some picks I took down by the American River.

You can see the water line on the tower.

Looking up stream

Down stream

Large Salmon Carcass quite a few of these out on the river bottom.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Observationalist because: Added link

edit on 28-2-2014 by Observationalist because: Oops

So incredibly unfortunate 😔 I personally think that the Salmon is an incredible fish...in fact superior too many. Also, I like to eat it, occasionally. You know what I just paid for Sokeye Salmon? $14.99 a pound, and that was on sale. I'm not sure if that particular fish is native to Cali, but nonetheless, your pic is a very sad sight to see. I can only wonder what Cali's side of Yellowstone look like...what about the Great Sequioas...Redwoods? Many of this land was enacted as the National Park Service by President Woodrow Wilson on August 25, 1916 and many many more by President Roosevelt.

None of that history seemed to matter to our current President.

See folks, it doesn't matter when or how we disagree with the misfortune of California's water problem. The issue is where and that's here...in California. This is a very serious issue. I'm not not just throwing some wild statements out there wishing upon a star! It's a fact. If you don't believe me...like I've said numerous times previously within this thread...you'll see it when your grocery bills go sky high. This is going to turn into a National crisis, which in turn will bother the worlds economy. Maybe you won't notice it (highly doubt that if you eat), but one way or another its gonna hurt our economy...all because a sector of the US Federal Government told the worlds 8th largest economy NO.

As unfortunate as it is, thank you for sharing that photo. Not that the Salmon never perishes...just that it did perish because there wasn't enough water to carry that poor soul up stream...and it's obvious in that photo.

Thank you for your personal observation

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

new_here

You know, I agree with you. Especially when I think about 'state of emergency' money given to states to rebuild after a hurricane, tornadoes, etc. In the case of hurricanes especially, the folks rebuilding their summer beach houses... phfff... cry me a river, right???

But a drought that has been years in the making... in an area that supplies so much of our nation's food... it's just reprehensible to me that no one sees THIS is a REAL state of emergency, effecting ALL states. For all those who shrug it off, please remember your food prices will soar as the supply drops.

Now... I think they could start by diverting water away from ALL unnecessary playgrounds (golf courses, etc) in surrounding areas, but that would be a drop in the bucket I am sure. (All those country club types who are ticked off at not getting their exercise on the green can go help out at the orchards, LoL...)

You know what...I grew up in Indianapolis, In. I have seen my fair share of what Tornadoes do and it's the most awful form of destruction I personally have ever seen. Until...the So Cal quake back in 1994...which freaked me out!!! I couldn't believe it, couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. The damage...the horrified faces...terrified people...all of us walking around in a serious stupor...dazed, confused and shocked by the destruction. Depended on where you lived...it was either bad or very very bad...or worse! So. Cal., still hasn't fully bounced back from that. There are some still waiting on FEMA, and we're talking about back in 1994! I sincerely feel for the folks in Louisiana, NJ, Oklahoma, Kansas, Florida etc., that depend on any assistance from FEMA to help out after their natural disastors. I didn't have to file a claim in 1994 as I owned no property then. If that same travesty was to happen again...I'd be truly bewildered and in disbelief left with no faith in my government which I figure I could not depend on anyway. That was horrible what happened in Louisiana...truly sad. I think some folks forget that when we pay taxes, a lot of our money goes to certain funds to help others. I know my money does and when they need help, give them my tax dollars I paid. For the naysayers that will come along and claim...really, you think you're helping? Well, you're not! Well, I have a few words for you...yes I do think I'm helping, that was my intent...to pay what is required to help those in need. That's what we over out west expect. For some reason, not many Americans like us 😢

However, here we are, in a state of emergency...short of a Sudanese drought and you have people saying things like, "it's stupid to live there, where are the desalinisation plants, what do you expect"? Could you freaking imagine for just one minute...if folks from California said..."why would anyone live in a tornado zone, flood zone...hurricane zone...Hell, why don't they just leave"? Those are to me ridiculous thoughts...right? Yes, I'm right.

I live in no more of an inhospitable zone than anyone else on this planet does...unless you live in Antarctica...lol. I could never equate my states inequities as "stupid", some have picked this word as their choice of explanation for living in California. That's ridiculous! We all have doom and gloom, no matter where you live on this planet. When times are hard, I thought we were supposed to help each other 😔

Over and over...history proves California wrong! I guess we're just supposed to suck it up, continue to contribute Nationally and Internationally and keep it moving every time! Really...really...seriously? With no help from the government that gets the most tax from us. Pffff...whatever!

You seem to understand...but to those that don't...wake the hell up! You're no safer than we are, we just have different environmental issues...different geography...different way of looking at the rest of the world, I guess. We, for the most part as a state, believe in helping others. Reason why every time there's a natural disaster or catastrophe anywhere on the planet, people from California are Almost 98% of the time, the first to freaking show up...donate and assist.

Yet, we feel over here...like nobody cares about us. But oh well, we keep it moving. We keep pushing. California is no different than any other state in the US. Except for...we don't cry much...just a little...as a whole, we raise our heads and hands and keep pushing.

When this drought ends and it will soon, you'll all have suffered like us California state natives. In the end we will still be happy to be just where we are and we'll make it a better place to live. We learn from mistakes as a whole (not necessarily political) natural disasters, etc. If we could just get the right people in office, we will be what some consider "straight". Our pockets will be more empty just as yours because of the cost of produce and dairy...but we'll be stronger, learn the curve and move on. Watch! You all know we will 😜

Again, thank you for your support and push congress to help us out...please. It's raining right now, but current rainfall will not make up for 2 years of water lost.

Don't forget us...we'll never forget you.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

This is late in the replies to your OP, but I don't think you made it exactly clear about whose water you wanted take in order to keep California's lucrative ag businesses in tact?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

It's not late. Why the hell all of a sudden does it matter? When virtually every US state were in a decline on a matter of issues (many which were non essential to California) did my state ask...oh, where will we get the money to help them? NO!!! We didn't... we helped...we were and are always there...spending our money to help everyone else out. Everyone gets our freaking money...everyone! And if you live in the US...you benefit from California too. Everytime you eat a strawberry, everytime you eat spinach...everytime you eat a nut...everytime you take a sip of milk, cream...eat cheese...thats us.

The 8th Largest economy in the WORLD (was the third until George Bush Jr. took over), is nothing to shrug your shoulders at. Not the 8th largest in the nation...we're talking globally, over hundreds of other countries. Remember, the USA is top. If that doesn't matter then...pffff, I give up! In laymans terms...this kind of sort of means that California pays for almost every deficit that over 1/2 of the US states owns! And we can't get any water from any of you? Really? Nothing without being questioned like we're all out here washing our asses and cars in the water! Give me a break! We're just trying to grow food for the rest of you and ourselves.

What difference does it make when a state this HUGE in agriculture is supplying Americans with food...let alone the rest of the world, which in turn brings more money back to the USA? Billions of dollars. Our financial status is why the Mary Jane industry has boomed for other states and rightfully so...we started that too. We pay tons of taxes yearly...give us some freaking water so we can ALL eat including first and foremost the rest of you!!!

I don't intend to be disrespectful....however, when you eat the food that comes from here...and its cheap...does it really matter?

I'll tell you what...how about this, let California stop supplying the rest of the US with dairy and produce amongst a host of other consumables, let alone our ports that supply everyone in the US with goods from all over the world and lets see how you feel then...let alone the rest of the world. I'm not attacking you personally, however, when you ask such a question I think 1, this person doesn't live in the states or 2 this person has no clue! That's fair...because the majority of Americans have no clue how much California holds the backbone of the USA. I'm a Californian and I pay an extreme amount of taxes so people in other states live stress free to a degree, while we all suck it up here and keep it moving....well, they certainly aren't paying the tax rates we all pay. That includes the broke folks out here too...even the poor pay more taxes than the majority of the rest of the USA.

All we asked was for some help...some assistance from the rest of you...the government. Obviously, we're not going to get it.
The down road outcome is going to be ridiculous for everyone else outside this state. I guarantee you. Give it 5 years, come back and we will revisit this very same conversation. I promise you, it's going to be different. The next in charge of California is not going to be so nice to the rest of the US. It's all a matter of time. We're tired of paying everyone else's bills and we get nothing...not even needed water so we can feed the rest of you!

You have to consider this, we already pay for some of our water to be imported...we pay big! We're willing to pay more without draining the system to grow food. Just about every city in Los Angeles County and all over the state is on a water lock down for the past two years at least. Rates are crazy and we're all like...as long as we have enough we're cool. But when the POTUS comes here to our farms...sees the devastation...leaves after reassuring the farmers everything will be okay...then has the USDA tell those very same people No, we will not help you...it's a tad bit frustrating. I guess the USDA, will just make it up by importing your foods from countries that grow freaking GMOs and cloned beef...etc. You all can keep it! Have at it. Your grandchildren and kids will be wanting some answers from their government about what Really happened later on, wondering why the hell they're sick all the freaking time. What are they gonna tell them then? It's already bad...lets just make it worse...screw Cali...who cares. You will all care soon. This is a serious issue...non debatable IMO. It's freaking food! Good food...non imported food, non GMO foods...organic foods. Wow! Really about the water? Can the rest of you grow it? If so, then why the hell aren't you doing it! I know why...because you can't...you don't have the money, soil, resources or space to do it in. That's why!

I'm not even a soil farmer and I'm pissed. I'm a hydroponics farmer and I'm on hiatus...really. I pay my bills like the next person does. As a matter of fact, I pay more for what I need. May sound silly now, but when Colorado runs dry and Washington...don't come running out here to capitalize! Most of the US just don't get it on so many levels....I'm done!

We just asked for help...no different then when Katrina, Andrew, any tornado, ice or winter storm, blizzard or severe frost that has hit or any other NATURAL disaster that has ever hit our nation. We need help too...everyone told us no. Okay...watch what happens to the prices of your food and dairy...etc.

In 60 days...I don't want to hear a peep of a cry or see a tear fall when this hits everyones pocket. I don't want to hear about how broke everyone is and can't afford to eat right. You all should have shoved your feet up Congress's Arse to help us out. We tried, we asked and everyone of you turned your backs on us. No one did a dam thing to stand up for us. That's not a personal attack on any of you, but you all have/had the power to USB to assist us and nobody has lifted a single Dam finger.

Alas, everyone thinks this is some kind of Rant or Cry Wolf game. It's not...it's the real deal. I'm done and not coming back without a solution.

OMW, to Sacramento

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Maybe he's intentionally trying to harm farmers? IDK, but Cali is right by a vast ocean of water and there should be no such thing as a drought there. Didn't some guy invent a machine that will turn salt water into drinking water? State-of-the-art water plants should be built with that converter. I don't know if it's that simple or not but it's just how I feel. I feel sorry for the people who're going through this. It's a terrible thing to have to endure, especially in 2014. There's a better way.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

pheonix358

LadySkadi
Question: where would the water come from if the Govt had agreed?

Well, I guess there are two choices here.

Obama could do a rain dance to end the drought . or

Obama could talk to God and do a Mosses.

P

I spat my coffee out when i read that

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1
reply to post by Char-Lee

Thank you for bringing populace awareness to a serious issue 👍 Like I said, it's no laughing matter. We in California, are the extreme right now...but what of the future for the planet?

edit on 2/28/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Edit

I just want to say somthing that it seems many from across the nation are not aware of. I traveled to every state on one long trip. It was truly a wonderful experience, but when I got home as I crossed from one end of my home state to the other, California... I was surprised to realize that California had some of everything I had seen on my long road trip!

It had lovely waterfalls, forests of every kind and some not found anywhere else, like the redwoods where I now live. It had valleys and hot springs and many many different kinds of rivers and high and low lakes. It had flat plains filled with wildflowers and grains, and high rocky mountains. It had the sea and the desert. Tiny towns and huge cities of diverse types, All in one state!
The same with the wildlife from elk to bear and big and small, it had it all!
edit on 28-2-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Farms should have the priority when it comes to the water... where do they think the food on our plates come from?!?!? Let the hollywood lawns go dry, drain the fountains in the parks, etc., until the situation gets better.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I just saw your message. Well....I wasn't talking about "the world" was I? I was speaking about my state, California.

Yes, the rest of the world matters...but that was far from my point. If you want to discuss "the rest of the worlds farming issues" and such then go start a thread about it why don't cha?

I work in other parts of the world involving water issues...I know what the hell is going on. What are you doing about it?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Be thankful that we are at least getting some rain now. Let's just hope that it is enough to pack some snow up there in them hills because that's what really counts as the rain is only a temporary reprieve.

I've noticed that the rainy season and/or snow fall has been coming late here for a while now. I live in the valley but lived in the Sierra Nevada foot hills just a while back and we had snow in April a few times but almost never in Dec. or Jan. which seemed kinda strange to me. But like I said, just be happy that we're getting something now, finally.

I bet if we start shutting down the water wasting Golf Courses which Obama seems to like so much he'd find ways to re-channel some water here. Until then, F**k em. Cali is practically it's own country and we can make it on our own, let the rest of the country grow it's own food for a while and we'll just keep ours to ourselves. Then we'll see how dumb it is to grow food in a desert. Which is a pretty dumb perspective of California to begin with because I've up and down this state many times and I'd hardly call it a desert. It's similar to how many people think that Cali is all beach front and surfers. That is only one small part of it and in no way represents the diversity of this state. But if all you have ever seen or heard of it is from the TV, then what can you expect.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

mOjOm

Be thankful that we are at least getting some rain now. Let's just hope that it is enough to pack some snow up there in them hills because that's what really counts as the rain is only a temporary reprieve.

I've noticed that the rainy season and/or snow fall has been coming late here for a while now. I live in the valley but lived in the Sierra Nevada foot hills just a while back and we had snow in April a few times but almost never in Dec. or Jan. which seemed kinda strange to me. But like I said, just be happy that we're getting something now, finally.

I bet if we start shutting down the water wasting Golf Courses which Obama seems to like so much he'd find ways to re-channel some water here. Until then, F**k em. Cali is practically it's own country and we can make it on our own, let the rest of the country grow it's own food for a while and we'll just keep ours to ourselves. Then we'll see how dumb it is to grow food in a desert. Which is a pretty dumb perspective of California to begin with because I've up and down this state many times and I'd hardly call it a desert. It's similar to how many people think that Cali is all beach front and surfers. That is only one small part of it and in no way represents the diversity of this state. But if all you have ever seen or heard of it is from the TV, then what can you expect.

Very thankful and much more happy. Thanks for the words of encouragement 👍

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

I tried to keep up with the water issue out in Cali the past few months and from what I've gather. It sucks. Period.

From what I gathered, in order for California's water system to work properly there needs to be snow in the mountains. And there isn't any snow this year for the melt off.

Last satellite images I saw were pretty scary.

Somebody should dig up the latest sat images. I would, but I''m too tired after being up all night.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join