It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your opinion of doing this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I was thinking about getting a camper that I would have as a secondary place to stay in, if there was ever a need to bug out, or just hit the open road and relocate. My thoughts on it are that it seems like a good idea. With keeping some type of OPSEC, it would have everything from a generator to running water. There is plenty of space for storage in it for food, and for any extra camping/hunting/hiking gear that I might want. It would be a shelter in any kind of weather. I do not want an RV that you drive, it would be a trailer... what are your thoughts on this?
Any ideas good or bad, would be good to hear, so I can try and see the pro's and con's of it from all sides.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It might have worked for a bit on The Walking Dead, but what happens when someone steals your truck or RV?

I think staying mobile and not in one place for to long is the best bet -- major roads are going to be flooded with highway robbers and nefarious sorts.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I was thinking of being able to leave it hidden somewhere once I would bug out, and have as like a home base...or like trapper did with cabins, or home shanty's. For that to happen though I would have to have someone at it all the time, for security...unless I could get it moved and hidden really well...gears are spinning even more...lol

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

While I agree on the highways, but big fat wheels can conquer many other options with a trailer then main thoroughfares...
and if light enough human portable if need be like a big version of those things people drag behind their bikes full of kids and picnic baskets...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I believe for the economically depressed or threatened a camper is great. We have an 8x10 slide in, renovated. We also use it as a guest room when family visits from out of town.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I found this site to be useful, though I am still undecided.

rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I've always wanted my own Mobile Command Unit.

I'd go for it, but have safe spots and multiple routes and escape routes planned well in advance.

As well as depots stowed at different locations for supplies.

Plus, get a diesel. In a SHTF scenario, you can use cooking oil (I think) for fuel.
edit on 27-2-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Serious discussions over beers my mate and i decided the best way to do it would be in a group. You need to form a community of like minded people and identify the ideal location to evacuate to. Every member of this desperate pilgrimage would be bring supplies and equipment with them as well as skills and know how but most importantly a determination to work together to find a place to survive.

You can't run off on your own in an RV you won't make it for long man. Human beings are social creatures and need to stick together for survival. In the future there will unheard of situations arising and everything about our existence will alter, your chances would be way better if you were involved with people that understand this and are ready to adapt.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

saltdog
I was thinking of being able to leave it hidden somewhere once I would bug out, and have as like a home base...or like trapper did with cabins, or home shanty's. For that to happen though I would have to have someone at it all the time, for security...unless I could get it moved and hidden really well...gears are spinning even more...lol

Well Salty...I'm in a very rural mountainous area. What you'd call the cabin shanty areas. I can tell you from personal experience. All us cabin people have guns and will be on high alert if a SHTF scenario happens. You'd best already have set up a location in advance with a friend to locate your rig to, if push comes to shove. That way you don't have to have someone in it at all times to guard it, plus banding together with the right people is advantageous to all involved.

I already have a couple of friends lined up to relocate to my property with similar set-ups, if all goes to hell in a hand basket.

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

With a membername like yours, I'd expect you'd have already dialed in on the benefits of a sailboat.

Sailboat needs no fuel.
It's good for storage, a place to live, and you can go anywhere on the planet with just the wind.
Most people stuck in a disaster will be stuck on land competing with other people for a fast dwindling pool of increasingly sparse resources.

Fresh water is always available with a water-maker hooked up to solar power and/or wind generator. Electricity is also always available through solar and wind power.
The ocean itself can provide some food to supplement stores.
Even just parking a few miles off shore, you're safer than being stuck on land when it comes to other people, and limited landing parties can be planned at leisure after thorough shore surveys via the safe distance of a telescope.

There's more to the benefits than that, but, eh.

Certainly there's some downsides too, but, all in all, sailboat, to me seems safest bet for putting hundreds if not thousands of miles separation between myself and any disaster or situation that would require some get-out.
It's economical too, requiring no absolute need for fuel or electricity.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

How would you keep and get gas for moving it around until they come as STEAL it from you?

And how secure will the place you'd be going to with it, and how will you fight off those "grabbers' trying to get it...and at you?

Its a so-so idea, limited and an awful big and easy target...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
There are ancient nuclear missile silos that are for sale, and some have already been transformed into habitable underground bunkers.

I know it doesn't roll as fast as an RV, but if you want something that can REALLY pack stuff for a while, and that is hidden, there's always that. Plus, it can be your primary house, no problems.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHereticFish

Yes I believe a group is by far the best way to do it. It is just not as easy as it seems to have people with you, that can do all they say they can and will have all they say they have...without a lot of trust on both sides...it just takes time to find the right fit with others. Plus you would want to go out together and spend some time now camping fishing and hiking together..to make sure you all mesh well together.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

All that has been taken into account, land is also not a problem, thousands of acres family owned with everything needed for survival is there( meaning food,animals, water, wood and plants and herbs).

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by saltdog

With a membername like yours, I'd expect you'd have already dialed in on the benefits of a sailboat.

Sailboat needs no fuel.
It's good for storage, a place to live, and you can go anywhere on the planet with just the wind.
Most people stuck in a disaster will be stuck on land competing with other people for a fast dwindling pool of increasingly sparse resources.

Fresh water is always available with a water-maker hooked up to solar power and/or wind generator. Electricity is also always available through solar and wind power.
The ocean itself can provide some food to supplement stores.
Even just parking a few miles off shore, you're safer than being stuck on land when it comes to other people, and limited landing parties can be planned at leisure after thorough shore surveys via the safe distance of a telescope.

There's more to the benefits than that, but, eh.

Certainly there's some downsides too, but, all in all, sailboat, to me seems safest bet for putting hundreds if not thousands of miles separation between myself and any disaster or situation that would require some get-out.
It's economical too, requiring no absolute need for fuel or electricity.

That's fine and yes I have thought of that, but the problem with that is...if you think the coast guard/navy and even foreign military vessels/subs would all be out there also, your crazy, not to mention pirates... you would not stand a chance. That's a fact, as I have sailed the seas and oceans over the years, and no I was not a passenger, I was the captain. I have been through both Panama Canal and Suez Canal, been through typhoons, hurricanes and all kinds of rough seas in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans...I love being out on the water...you just would not stand a chance if any kind of other ships are involved. That's just my personal thoughts on boat living in a SHTF.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Yes diesel is a must, and I would not be staying mobile all the time, it would be for getting from point a to b, and then if needed to c or d...Extra fuel would be a must but I would not be driving the roads any more than absolutely needed. I do have routes planned, and more than 1 location to go to... because once your out of fuel, your done hauling or moving it with ease.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I've never owned one but have several friends and relatives have/had them. The first thing that struck me is how much maintenance they require to keep them in good shape. You don't want to be leaving it sitting anywhere without attention for even as much as a month. Mice and rats love them and will invade quickly and do massive amounts of damage if they are left "in the woods" without inhabitants. And if it is summer, the serpents will follow the rodents inside. I have a cousin who tells a hilarious story about opening the cabinet door and finding herself eyeball-to-eyeball with a HUGE snake.
However, if you are good with fixing stuff and maintaining it, it seems to be an excellent idea to have a portable abode that is already stocked and ready to roll. Depending on where you are located, you might be able to get away from it all within a few hours of making the decision to "bug out" and be "sittin' pretty" while others scramble.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Destinyone

saltdog

Well Salty...I'm in a very rural mountainous area. What you'd call the cabin shanty areas. I can tell you from personal experience. All us cabin people have guns and will be on high alert if a SHTF scenario happens. You'd best already have set up a location in advance with a friend to locate your rig to, if push comes to shove. That way you don't have to have someone in it at all times to guard it, plus banding together with the right people is advantageous to all involved.

I already have a couple of friends lined up to relocate to my property with similar set-ups, if all goes to hell in a hand basket.

Des

Well the last thing I would do is to go on someone's land ..that I do not know, and try to set up camp...that would be a very bad idea....I would be going to family land, several close members of my immediate family would allow me access.
I have several options and in about every direction from where I live.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

saltdog

That's fine and yes I have thought of that, but the problem with that is...if you think the coast guard/navy and even foreign military vessels/subs would all be out there also, your crazy, not to mention pirates... you would not stand a chance. That's a fact, as I have sailed the seas and oceans over the years, and no I was not a passenger, I was the captain. I have been through both Panama Canal and Suez Canal, been through typhoons, hurricanes and all kinds of rough seas in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans...I love being out on the water...you just would not stand a chance if any kind of other ships are involved. That's just my personal thoughts on boat living in a SHTF.

Fair enough, but, you'll get the same on land, if not worse and more people fighting over a smaller pool of diminishing resources like game and natural plants like human locusts across the land eating, devouring, grabbing and hoarding everything everywhere people attempt to run.

There won't be any wild game to hunt, or edible plants to gather after every walleyed yayhoo with a gun and a bug out bag grabs friends and family and heads for the "hills".

Scavenging in urban areas for those that shelter in urban areas will likely be better where all the goods left behind by bug outs is free and fair where no rule of law is left, plus, all the game and other animals run out of the wilds and displaced by hungry people will likely move to the city, where people are fewer.

Further, there's far more easily fortified and defensible buildings with controllable access in urban areas relatively small groups of people can lock down and defend much better than the vulnerabilities on offer in the open wilderness.
Gardens can be cultivated on the roofs of high rise buildings well away from trespassers and scavengers.
The urban populations of pigeons suddenly become instant chicken; easy to raise and maintain also on rooftops.

Otherwise, set sail for any remaining civilization left on the planet.

No decision will be without risk or danger.
The most dangerous threat, however, will likely be other people also on the run, other people that don't have your supplies, other people that want your supplies.
The solution to that would be to either go where everyone else isn't, or somewhere there's no SHTF.

edit on 2/27/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

i think the option to go mobile is way more important than the option to hunker down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join