It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sounds That Fall on Deaf Ears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm getting into another cycle of looking up new music (once every three months I download about 5gigs of new stuff) and I wanted to start a thread where people list bands/musicians that they feel get too little limelight..

here's an abridged version my favorites of what I've been listening to over the last year or so:

1. Bibio - Electronica meets experimental acoustic folk and funk
  2. Subtle (and most things involving DoseOne) - Insanely virtuostic and experimental hip-hop
  3. Daedelus - Electronic music at its core, but.. lots of smooth beats and chord progressions here.
  4. Animal Collective (and their side-projects) - They aren't exactly "unknown" and their not my FAVORITE band of all time, but they've put out a lot of great sounds and expanded the world of "folktronica" to new heights
  5. Caribou (Manitoba) - Great drummer, lots of catchy electronic melodies meet polyrhythms and syncopation galore!
  6. Eligh - has to be one of the most insightful AND fastest rappers I've ever heard.
  7. Stateless - i hate to make direct comparisons, but these guys border on a lot of Radiohead's sounds, with an added flavor of post-rock and ambience.
  8. Eskmo - a young electronic musician who stands out as having a great ear for melody and rhythm, besides programming music sequencers

9. (now for the heavy stuff!)
  10. The Melvins - these guys have been mentioned in countless interviews by Nirvana, they're from Aberdeen, WA, and pre-date them.. how do people still not know The Melvins!? haha. These guys are sludgey and heavy, but they're absolutely brilliant people and have countless albums that somehow keep bringing something new to the table
  11. The Locust - Devo meets the most terrifying, devastating, neck-breaking beats and synthesizer you'll ever hear.
  12. Igorrr - Imagine gregorian chant and flaminco guitar.. meets grindcore..!?
  13. Genghis Tron - the name about says it all: death/black-metal, meets electronica..?
  14. Jardin De La Croix - Post-Rock meets Math-rock.. i guess. just insanely good composers and musicians.
  15. (now for some good 70s stuff!)
  16. King Krimson - Yes, yes, certain circles of audiophiles worship this band, but too many people who are quick to mention AC/DC and Led Zeppelin as the best "rock and roll" of the 70s, but King Krimson flies circles around those guys IMO..
  17. Clouds - Not exactly "heavy" by today's standards, but for the 70s, these guys blow my mind. Amazing rhythms and organ riffs.
  18. Area - just about the most overlooked and INSANE (repeat: insane) INSANELY good, dynamic, crazy, unperdictable, and just all-around damn good band from the 70s 80s and 90s.
  19. Nektar - Great German psychedelia with some prog moments!
  20. (now for the really weird and avant-garde!)
  21. The Residents - Imagine you hear the music from an alien culture.. they've been together since the 60s, wear giant eyeballs on their heads, no one knows who they are to this day.. what's not to love?
  22. R. Stevie Moore - the man has released over 400 individual releases, independently. Each album is somewhat different in style and he plays every instrument on most albums.. upon one mention of this guy on ATS (in passing in a previous thread of mine) people reacted with violent dislike.. you know he must be doing something right

23. Daniel Johnston - the man is perhaps more interesting than some of his music, but his sounds are as sincere as they get. Recorded and released most things by himself and lots of interesting ideas from this guy.
  24. Wesley Willis - I think wikipedia would explain more than i could on this guy haha.
  25. MOONDOG - this man should be at the top of this list. TONS of albums of just about the most original "classical music" you can imagine. Dressed like a viking, played music and lived on the streets of New York by choice, was friends with Philip Glass and Steve Reich
  26. Thoth - a street performer who plays a combination of opera and native american type chants. just amazing musicianship.

I'm not supposed to look at videos while i work, but here's some i know i love from each "genre"!

edit on 19-2-2014 by HyphenSt1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Book marked for later! I listen to a lot of different music so I will probably have a few more contributions to make later, but for now the title and premise of your thread made me think of Stefan Poiss and Mind.In.A.Box (Stefan is the founder of the latter). Not sure how much you enjoy Electronic music, but this is one band/person I feel doesn't get enough credit. Obviously some people are just automatically turned off by electronic music and can't open their minds enough to appreciate it's nuances (I used to be one of them), but I think M.I.A.B and its founder Stefan Poiss have created some really rich soundscapes. Depends on what you are into of course, but give them a listen when you have time:

Mind.In.A.Box

THYX (Stefan Poiss' solo project)

I'll probably be back later with some suggestions from other genres

edit on 20-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

King Krimson - Yes, yes, certain circles of audiophiles worship this band, but too many people who are quick to mention AC/DC and Led Zeppelin as the best "rock and roll" of the 70s, but King Krimson flies circles around those guys IMO..

That's King Crimson, with a "C"
One of the greatest bands, ever.

If you like polyrhythms, you'll love these guys:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Man. I'm so outta touch with new music, I only recognize a few of them.

King Crimson, Court of the Crimson King.

"I talk to the wind. My words are all carried away. I talk to the wind, the wind cannot hear, the wind does not hear."

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm back! I was hoping your thread would have gained some more traction but whatever. I have always been happy to whore out my musical tastes on people who don't care about them!

Some ethnic/rockish type stuff that most people outside of Canada haven't heard:

The Tea Party
----------------

Winter Solstice (acoustic awesomeness)

Sister Awake Remix (less acoustic more ethnic/rock)

Halcyon Days

The Tea Party demonstrating some of the instruments they use:

I'll be back with more selections of other bands later

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

King Krimson

King Crimson.

A perfect example of why technique over feeling in music results in rubbish. There are King Crimson passages that are utterly unlistenable — ugly, tedious and repetitive.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Astyanax

King Krimson

King Crimson.

A perfect example of why technique over feeling in music results in rubbish. There are King Crimson passages that are utterly unlistenable — ugly, tedious and repetitive.

haha I'm not really sure what to add other than.. bummer man! I think everything I've heard of them is very innovative, unpredictable, and has a lot of soul.. so I'm just going to continue enjoying myself haha..

what did you have in mind for alternatives..?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

adjensen

King Krimson - Yes, yes, certain circles of audiophiles worship this band, but too many people who are quick to mention AC/DC and Led Zeppelin as the best "rock and roll" of the 70s, but King Krimson flies circles around those guys IMO..

That's King Crimson, with a "C"
One of the greatest bands, ever.

If you like polyrhythms, you'll love these guys:

I do love me some Battles! They indeed somehow fit polyrhythms into the most unexpected places, and IMO are very catchy! Their newer stuff is almost like the afropop of Fela Kuti.

Tyondai Braxton (who did vocals for Battles on everything except the last album) has some very interesting solo-stuff! his album Central Market defies explanation haha.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
Book marked for later! I listen to a lot of different music so I will probably have a few more contributions to make later, but for now the title and premise of your thread made me think of Stefan Poiss and Mind.In.A.Box (Stefan is the founder of the latter). Not sure how much you enjoy Electronic music, but this is one band/person I feel doesn't get enough credit. Obviously some people are just automatically turned off by electronic music and can't open their minds enough to appreciate it's nuances (I used to be one of them), but I think M.I.A.B and its founder Stefan Poiss have created some really rich soundscapes. Depends on what you are into of course, but give them a listen when you have time:

Mind.In.A.Box

THYX (Stefan Poiss' solo project)

I'll probably be back later with some suggestions from other genres

awesome thanks! I've never heard of mind.in.a.box and The Tea Party seems very intriguing

new topics

top topics

join