It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does any one here watch the atheist experience?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hey everyone. I wanted to know if anyone here watches the atheist experience?

The hosts describe it as a live public access show in austin texas that takes live calls and discusses religion, atheism, philosophy, and pretty much anything along those lines that you want to talk about. They are sponsored by the atheist community of austin (the ACA)

The hosts are nearly always polite and very knowledgable in the field of theology (especially christian theology).

They do a show pretty much every sunday and post it on their youtube channel. I have been watching for a few years but they have been at it for i think about eight years. Maybe more.

I find this show to be a necessary balance to the overwhelming amount of religious broadcasting out there im on a smartphone and im not sure how to imbed videos here so maybe someone can help me out in that respect. Here is the official website and the link to their video archive.

www.atheist-experience.com...

Let me know what you think.

Mods if this is in the wrong forum or against t&c do what you do. thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Not being from the US I am not familiar with this form of atheist evangelism.
Guess any doubt atheism was not a religion is laid to rest after hearing about this

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of it.

They make me uncomfortable - but that's due to my agnosticism.

Another resource I use is TheThinkingAtheist. Met the guy last year at a conference - he's very much about dispelling all the hell-fire teaching that little kids get - like Jesus Camp, ACE, etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

borntowatch
Not being from the US I am not familiar with this form of atheist evangelism.
Guess any doubt atheism was not a religion is laid to rest after hearing about this

Evangelism? I did not see anything about recruiting or converting people. Is discussion of atheism all it takes to convert people? Damn, we must be good. I'd like to point out that I listen to some Christian radio stations, and while they do quote the Bible and explain its meaning to them, and callers are free to express their personal attachment to the faith, they don't ask people to call in for a telebaptism or hand out addresses to church doing a weekend fund raiser to boost their collections. They are informers. And that's what they do.

The Atheist Experience is produced by the Atheist Community of Austin. The Atheist Community of Austin is organized as a nonprofit educational corporation to develop and support the atheist community, to provide opportunities for socializing and friendship, to promote secular viewpoints, to encourage positive atheist culture, to defend the first amendment principle of state-church separation, to oppose discrimination against atheists and to work with other organizations in pursuit of common goals.

This is their "mission statement". I don't see anything in there about "destroy religion" or "eradicate theists" or "prove those Christian/Muslim/Jewish/Hindu/Wiccan/Buddhist/Catholic morons aren't worth the money in their collection plates".
edit on 19-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

wildtimes

Another resource I use is TheThinkingAtheist. Met the guy last year at a conference - he's very much about dispelling all the hell-fire teaching that little kids get - like Jesus Camp, ACE, etc.

Is he anti-theism, though? There is a difference.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

My only advice is to watch some of the episodes and come back and discuss with us what you think of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

He's an atheist, who was raised as a conservative Christian.

About
The Thinking Atheist is a website, radio podcast and online community which rejects faith as a suitable tool for living.

Far too often, faith (believing something without evidence) is celebrated, reason is distrusted, and people are encouraged not to ask questions, test the waters, demand evidence or think outside the religious box.

The Thinking Atheist icon is a symbol that reminds atheist and believer alike to engage the brain, to challenge even the most sacred of traditions/beliefs, to be passionately curious about our world and universe, and to never be satisfied with the charge, "You just have to take it on faith."

Enjoy our videos. Listen to the weekly radio podcasts. Connect with others through our forum and social media pages. And benefit from this wonderful and diverse community of freethinkers.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.

www.thethinkingatheist.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

That didn't answer my question. Is he anti-theism?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

wildtimes

I like the thinking atheist too. There are several others around as well.

I agree anti-theism is dif than atheism.

Atheism is the position that the claims of deity have not met the burden of proof.

Anti-theism is the claim that god does not exist.

These are very different positions and should not be confused with one another.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by wildtimes

That didn't answer my question. Is he anti-theism?

I would say not, as anti-theists would not change their view if presented with sufficient proof.

I would say that "theramin trees" (the maker of the videos) was anti-religion as religions do make specific claims which can be disputed.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

?? Maybe you can explain the difference for me.
He identifies as an Atheist.

Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason

The new book by Seth Andrews, Host of The Thinking Atheist.

"...and then Noah loaded the dinosaurs onto the ark." Assertions like these seem comical until you realize that many Christian parents aren't kidding when they teach them to their children as facts.

Every day, impressionable young minds are conditioned to blindly accept wild biblical tales of floating zoos, talking shrubbery, 900-year-old humans, the undead, curses, levitation, demon/human hybrids and men who obtain super-human strength from the length of their hair.

Allegiance to these teachings is expected, often demanded. Curiosity is muted. Doubt is frowned upon as a sin. And for those who dare to raise a dissenting hand, the threat of Hell looms ominously. A former religious radio host raised in the cradle of Christianity, Seth Andrews battled his own doubts for many years. His attempts to reconcile faith and the facts led him to a conclusion previously unthinkable, and this once-true believer ultimately became the founder of one of the most popular atheist communities on the internet.

Does that answer it?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I would say not, as anti-theists would not change their view if presented with sufficient proof.

I would say that "theramin trees" (the maker of the videos) was anti-religion as religions do make specific claims which can be disputed.

What?

Seth was raised (I believe, in Oklahoma) as a conservative Christian, and was a Christian radio host for 30 years.
Now he fights against the indoctrination and 'inherited belief' stuff.

Who is "theramin trees"?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Woodcarver

AfterInfinity

wildtimes

I like the thinking atheist too. There are several others around as well.

I agree anti-theism is dif than atheism.

Atheism is the position that the claims of deity have not met the burden of proof.

Anti-theism is the claim that god does not exist.

These are very different positions and should not be confused with one another.

Uh...hahaha. No. No, that's not the difference. They both involve a distinct lack of conviction in a god - unless you're the sort of person who believes in a god and is waging a war against that god. Anyway, anti-theism is a position which pits you against all of theism in general. If it's theistic, then it's bad. End of story. Atheism, on the other hand, is merely a lack of conviction in a deity. Lack of conviction...there's a good phrase for it. Not a lack of belief. Lack of conviction. Because we atheists have failed to be convinced. No belief involved. Lack of conviction is not the same thing as a vendetta against theism.

Whatever. You get what I'm saying.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
atheism.about.com...

Atheism and anti-theism so often occur together at the same time and in the same person that it's understandable if many people fail to realize that they aren't the same.

Making note of the difference is important, however, because not every atheist is anti-theistic and even those who are, aren't anti-theistic all the time.

Atheism is simply the absence of belief in gods;

anti-theism is a conscious and deliberate opposition to theism.

Many atheists are also anti-theists, but not all.

Based on that differentiation, I'd say he's both.
edit on 2/19/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I think that is pretty much what i said but anyways i also agree with your definitions. I am both.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So what would be the term for my thinking?

I'm agnostic about God, I do not believe "God" is a person or has human traits,
and I fight to stop early childhood indoctrination.

"Religion is for adults."
Kids should not be subjected to it. Period.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

wildtimes

i would say you are also both. If you fight it for kids then you also think that most religious claims are most likely false and that adults generally believe falsehoods.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

wildtimes

would you say that god is more of a force than a personality?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

wildtimes

What?

Seth was raised (I believe, in Oklahoma) as a conservative Christian, and was a Christian radio host for 30 years.
Now he fights against the indoctrination and 'inherited belief' stuff.

Who is "theramin trees"?
oops my bad. Theramintrees is another youtube channel with similar views and videos.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yes, definitely - if it exists, it is a "force". NOT a "personality". I refer to it as the Source/the Divine. It's beyond description and certainly not a 'person' doling out "justice" as it "sees fit."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join