It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albino alligators make snappy, happy home in Paris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

PARIS: Two incredibly rare albino alligators have arrived at their new French home - a Paris aquarium - after being bought from a reptile collector in Florida.

Thursday's snappy new reptiles, who are just over one year old, are part of an elite group of no more than 30 such alligators in the world.

Linky

It's not clear yet how the two will hit it off as they grow up - as it's still too early to tell if they are male or female

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Surely a DNA test would have told you what bloody sex they are and I would want to know that before I made the purchase.

Seems strange. Was obviously expensive, freight costs alone would be stiff.

P

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Wow, never seen albino alligators before. I hope they have a long and happy life in their new home.
edit on 14-2-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

pheonix358

Surely a DNA test would have told you what bloody sex they are and I would want to know that before I made the purchase.

Seems strange. Was obviously expensive, freight costs alone would be stiff.

P

DNA tests are pretty expensive but there are other ways to ensure or determine the sex of an alligator :

You can actually ensure the sex of an alligator by the method of incubation of the eggs :

High temperatures of 90 to 93 F (32 to 34 C) will give you males; low temperatures of 82 to 86 F (28 to 30 C) will give females.

Although it is not easy to sex a crocodilian visually (some people go by size, but in my experience this can sometimes prove to be wrong),

Otherwise, If you have enough experience, a manual inspection by inserting a finger or visually identifying the penis or clitoris.

In babies this size it is very difficult to determine the sex and also quite stressful for the animal to be going around inserting fingers in order to find their copulatory organs... thus being the reason why they prefer to wait. (plus the fact that the clitoris can be mistaken for the penis in juvenile animals).

Just putting this out there as I am a vet and have worked from time to time with crocodilians.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Wow, never seen albino alligators before. I hope they have a long and happy life in their new home.

Only 30 in the world....wow
I've never seen one either
Hope they make it

----

reply to post by pheonix358

One would think with today's technology & them being 1 yr. that they could find out

-------------

reply to post by Rodinus

In babies this size it is very difficult to determine the sex and also quite stressful for the animal to be going around inserting fingers in order to find their copulatory organs... thus being the reason why they prefer to wait. (plus the fact that the clitoris can be mistaken for the penis in juvenile animals).

Just putting this out there as I am a vet and have worked from time to time with crocodilians.

Thanks doc....we weren't sure as to the 'why' about knowing the sex

Much respect~
snarky

edit on 14-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Just don't get the ends mixed up and stick your finger in the mouth

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Just don't get the ends mixed up and stick your finger in the mouth

I'll be sure to remember that!!

new topics