It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Targeted Established Conservative Groups for Audits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Besides targeting "conservative" groups who were applying for tax-exempt status, it appears that the IRS also decided to target existing "conservative" groups for selective audits as well.

This comes to light by way of the ongoing House investigations.

The shocking part here is that it looks like those audits were 100% directed at "conservative" groups.

The IRS is part of the Executive Branch of government.

Very alarming.

I wonder if this over zealous behavior is all political and one sided (for now).

A Republican House committee chairman said the Internal Revenue Service targeted tax-exempt conservative groups for audits, widening the scope of GOP ire over the agency’s oversight of political activities.

House Democrats pushed back, saying Republicans were seeking to use the IRS controversy to score political points with their conservative base in an election year.

“We now know that the IRS targeted not only right-leaning applicants, but also right-leaning groups that were already operating as 501(c)(4)s,” Mr. Camp said in a statement. “At Washington, DC’s direction, dozens of groups operating as 501(c)(4)s were flagged for IRS surveillance, including monitoring of the groups’ activities, websites and any other publicly available information. Of these groups, 83% were right-leaning. And of the groups the IRS selected for audit, 100% were right-leaning.”

Camp: IRS Targeted Established Conservative Groups for Audits, Too

And another issue;

Mr. Camp spoke at a meeting where the committee was expected to vote to delay implementation of Obama administration rules that GOP lawmakers say would unfairly restrict political activity by conservative groups. The Democratic-run Senate appears unlikely to go along.

sister story;
IRS slaps on more rules to silence conservatives

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I saw this story expanding on the news yesterday. Forgive me for not sourcing, but there's also some e-mail, in the public record, showing this originates in the Department of the Treasury. A darker black eye for the Obamarama administration I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I tell ya what.

They need to clean house at the IRS.

And if they don't want to do that.

Shut down that gestapo unit down completely.

It's job is suppose to be Apolitical.

Since it's not.

SHUT IT DOWN.

And give compensation to those who were targeted,

And lock up those who are guilty.
edit on 12-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

There is no other proper course of action. They've violated trust and 'the people' have no requirement to wait for that to be re-built.

I'll guarantee you action in Congress if the revenue machine is thrown out with the bath water.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A bit ranting, but stories like these are getting too common and resembling total mental barbarism.

This stuff that has been snowballing into an avalanche of crimes by our own establishment against the people who pay their salaries is stupefying to say the least.

I mailed the IRS a nice letter with one of my "ban material" rants
This one had a lot of overly colorful metaphors, but it should be enough to get a little harder throw than usual into the nearest waste basket there.

Obama doing this kind of thing having the IRS as his hit squad is more than just criminal, it is the most pathetic and unprofessional behavior that I have ever even heard of. Even Hitler acted with far more poise and kept the appearance of a smart commander. Obama is more like a feral Pee Wee Herman with a grudge though.. I can see by his current behavior, that once the guns are gone, he will begin putting to death millions of people, he is no different than Mao, or Pol Pot, or Stalin, or any other monster of humanity.

Listen to the idiots in congress too, they are saying they are going to "try" and stop him" Huh? They should be having Obama Swat teamed with 500 federal marshals and a traveling circus sideshow booth to lock him up in, on his way to Leavenworth for a permanent stay in the darkest pit they have.

This is the twilight zone folks and the screenplay is being written by our psychopathic president.

Obama, how does it feel to be the most pathetic piece of sewer that the world has ever crapped out? You sir, are the true traitor. Sure wouldn't want to be you.

This story, and the others that are coming out are only half of the nightmare we even KNOW about.
Imagine all the truly putrid plans for Americans these people have hidden within the classification process.

I am reaching my limit of abuse to America that I can stand.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

In 2004 the IRS went after liberal groups.

Turn about is fair enough.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Guess we now have the answer to that unanswered question.

The IRS, which primarily acts as an audit agency, refuses to answer why its agents need AR-15s for “standoff capability.” IRS AR-15s

I knew there was a reason somewhere.

So yes Virginia, there is an IRS audit for you (if you're conservative.)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

(I'm laying it on thick below, but It may not all apply to you..)

No,Not even. Any kind of stuff like this by any agency no matter who it targets should be awarded with jail sentences.

You really think you would want them to have a free pass when they target your political least favorites?

That is really asking to get a true eventual beat down to the curb by those you once supported.. Why would someone still give respect to any agency that has shown they respect no one, no matter their politics?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

So we should keep going back and forth? That is fair play?

Exactly what is wrong with the country, that disgusting attitude.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

Yes indeed.

all 3 of those were certainly Earth shaking and suspicious.

That's what happens when agencies launch massive tasks.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

neo96
I tell ya what.

Since it's not.

SHUT IT DOWN.

Instead of shutting them down or holding them accountable in any way, their numbers and power have only increased and they've become yet another super alphabet agency. All the agencies need to be shut down. It is beyond the point of ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I hope you don't mind if I add yet another response to your post.

Concerning the idea that turn about is fair play, I have no objection. Unfortunately, as your own article states, this is not turn about. It looks at the cases under the Bush administration, and says:

Those cases mostly involved 501(c)3 organizations, which live in a different section of the tax code for real charities like hospitals and schools. The rules are much stronger and better developed for (c)3′s, in part because they’ve been around longer.
"In part because they've been around longer." But they're different rules, with different tests, and penalties. Calling it "turn about" is like saying "It's OK for us to ticket and bother drivers who are going two miles over the limit on the freeway, because a previous administration ticketed and bothered drivers who were going two miles over the limit (through a red light). It's not the same at all.

I also note that the article talks about individual cases. It doesn't indicate the scope of the problem or the number of entities affected. It doesn't indicate what actual decisions or actions occurred which harmed the charities involved. It doesn't indicate whether the actions were justified or not. All of those things would be useful information. Instead you get things like "ABC was threatened with federal action after it's representative said X,Y, and Z." It doesn't tell us whether it was because of the statement, whether there were additional factors involved, whether any action was actually taken. That's quite a bit different from the current problems with the IRS.

As has been pointed out, the idea that since one group did something bad the other group is fully entitled to do a bad thing, is immoral and ultimately destructive of government. I understand that there are a number of people who actually want to destroy the government, this is a good approach to that goal. It claims that Group X (Republican or Democrat) can do anything that the other group has done, whether it's right or wrong. As we are seeing, it also means that Group X is perfectly justified in doing new wrong things, if it can get away with it. This can only lead to ever increasing corruption in the government.

Nixon was impeached, and history has condemned him for creating an "Enemies list" and using government resources to harass them. Many think he was the most corrupt President ever. There is a question about whether Obama can be impeached, but I can't understand anyone saying that he doesn't deserve to be impeached (and convicted), and while we're at it, to take over Nixon's title.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

StoutBroux

neo96
I tell ya what.

Since it's not.

SHUT IT DOWN.

Instead of shutting them down or holding them accountable in any way, their numbers and power have only increased and they've become yet another super alphabet agency. All the agencies need to be shut down. It is beyond the point of ridiculous.

And got a $92M bonus ... during a period of sequestration where no one else could even recommend a pat on the back for high-performing staff. And, expanded their reach into healthcare ... which affects everyone's lifestyle. And, yes, it feels like we've entered the Twilight Zone.

new topics

top topics

join