It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movies they HAVEN'T made.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Stainless Steel Rat (series)
The Necroscope (series)
Magician (trilogy, RE Fiest)
The Saga of the Exiles (series, Julian May)
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (series, S Donaldson)

Theres a bunch more books Id like to see as movies or TV series - the above list would be great.

I also think a movie series that imagines a universe as presented and understood by non mainstream science and history - Worlds in Collision, Electric Universe, story of the Annunaki (the Vedic stories, the Greek pantheon, the Norse myths being interpreted as expressions of the Annunaki mythology) - bring all that together and spin an epic tale on top of that. In some ways that is what Stargate was - but Id prefer a dramatization of the narrative of the Annunaki as presented by Sitchin and those folks.

I think simply telling the story of the coming of the Annunaki, creation of man and the various demi-gods and wars would be very fun.
edit on 8-2-2014 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse
reply to post by nixie_nox

"Aztec"by Gary Jennings would make one heck of a film trilogy-maybe Peter Jackson could direct.
It would be impossible to get past the censors if he stayed true to the book though-too much depravity,sex and violence for even today's blood loving masses...The book,which I consider a masterpiece,actually gave me the symptoms of PTSD-I would wake up screaming having dreamt of being a victim in one of the Aztecs many ritual sacrifices!
Not many books I have read have done anything like that to me,in fact no other book has come close.

Would be an epic trilogy.

edit on 6/2/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added.

They made Apocalypto:

www.imdb.com...

That ended with the conquistadors and missionaries arriving on the beach. They could always make a sequel.

edit on 8-2-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Piers Anthony is long overdue for a serious film adaption, there's too many of his works worth considering (Xanth, Incarnations of Immortality, etc.)

Along the "high fantasy" genre, Stephen R. Donaldson "Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" could fill the void left by the LOTR/Hobbit series.

So much out there to consider adapting to film, yet all Hollywood can do is recycle the same crap.

ETA: Amagnon beat me to the punch on the Thomas Covenant series
edit on 8-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Call me a nerd but I would love to see a StarCraft and or a Warhammer 40k live action flick.

Also I think one of the first posters to this thread said...a Spawn sequel as well would be killer.

Also a Predator sequel that truly commits to how the first two movies especially the first one played out.

Not this Aliens vs Predators, where one Alien takes out 40 Preds and no dumb ass super predators either...
edit on 8-2-2014 by Elmax227 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Anunnaki - The Movie by Jon Gress

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Richard Morgans Sci Fi Trilogy, Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies. Awesome cyberpunk novels. They've actually been optioned twice by joel silver, 1 of the matrix producers, and I think this time they might actually be getting made. A lot of the ideas would really lend themselves to a game as well.

I also really want to see a sequel to District 9!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Thank you so much for reminding me about flight of the navigator!!!
I didnt even know I had seen that until I read your post.
Had to reach far back in the memory and blow some dust off to recall that,
Its the first movie I can remember watching ( i was born in 86' ).
I don't remember much about it except being captivated and being left with some kind of awe feeling. Off to relive my childhood and find it online. Its weird how giddy and excited I feel to watch it.

edit: there is a full version on youtube
edit on 9-2-2014 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

There have been some great ideas here, and Dragonriders of Pern would be just wonderful as a well produced series - The Stainless Steel Rat would be an absolute hoot and Thomas Covenant too, please!

But a few "oi, no!"'s - Raymond E Feist, Salvatore and The Shannara books. I'll hunt the producers down and give them a poke in the eye at the very least if i hear the merest hint of pre-production on these. Ugh.

There was however an Elric of Melnibone movie (and possible sequels) to star Paul Bettany that was mooted a few years ago, as was the late Iain M Banks' "Consider Phlebas" - both never got off the ground which was a real shame. Someone, somewhere needs to work out how to bring "The Culture" to the big screen. It would be an uber sci-fi nerd-gasm of epic proportions.

I'd also love to see any of Moorcock's work credibly translated to the screen, but in particular Oswald Bastable, Corum and Jerry Cornelius (though it would be particularly hard to make that last one work). Add The Dying Earth too, Cugel's tales especially.

And China Mieville's - Perdidio Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council would blow minds.. make it so, someone - please.

One last thing, if someone other than Peter Jackson were to direct (Desolation of Smaug, ffs), then splitting The Silmarillion up into possibly a trilogy, using the Books of Lost Tales and Histories of Middle Earth as a template would ensure that i could die a happy man.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I realize there is a great deal of content out there in the forms of myths and mythologies from around the world, I don't see as much on the lands of North American lore, that would be swell. Or perhaps a mash-up series on the subject at large, a combination of sorts. The CGI could and should be fantastic but I imagine it could be done in cartoon form just as well if not better.

Religion. Also done ad nauseam but if applied in the above context I am sure there would be some sort of following rather than just the take of my God is stronger than your God, let these two or three countries duke it out. End story, roll credits.

Next and most pressing for mine own desires would be a series on the Belgariad Prophesies and Mallorean Chronicles written wonderfully by David Eddings. My top concern of course with everything taken from literature is the quality in which the characters spring to life, so naturally I would have to write my own version as would every other fanboy of these series.
edit on 2014 2 9 by 1n3MANarmy because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
"A Canticle for Leibowitz" in my opinion the greatest post-apocalyptic book ever written.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Some more of the Clive Cussler books. I know they did Sahara, but really? Thats it?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

skalla

But a few "oi, no!"'s - Raymond E Feist, Salvatore and The Shannara books. I'll hunt the producers down and give them a poke in the eye at the very least if i hear the merest hint of pre-production on these. Ugh.

While I would agree with you that RA Salvatore, and T Brooks are complete trash - Feists work was significantly higher quality and would be worth a movie (though i must admit I read it maybe 25yrs ago, and that assessment might be worth a review).

There was however an Elric of Melnibone movie (and possible sequels) to star Paul Bettany that was mooted a few years ago

Ah - sheesh - I cant believe I left that off my list - I actually think Elric could be the greatest new hero of the millennium in film if they did it well - he is the ultimate anti-hero, forget Hellboy (trash), Spawn (also trash), Batman (fairly decent), Hulk (not very interesting) .. I think Elric would be more epic than Darth Vader, and lets face it - no matter how bad some of the Star Wars movies were - Darth Vader is definitely epic (James Earl Jones might have had something to do with that
) .. Elric would have to have the right look, and presence .. I have no real idea's, but Elric should have a freakin scary voice and look like he is half starved and made from steel fibres - Gary Oldman, Willem Dafoe, hugo Weaving maybe - these guys a bit aged, but Elric is no spring chicken anyhow - they just need to be able to get ripped.

So ya - bring on Stormbringer please ..
edit on 9-2-2014 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

nixie_nox
What are yours?

H. P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness which Guillermo Del Toro wants to make but no studio feels it would be a viable R Rated horror and Del Toro does not want to go PG-13 (which I agree with).

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'd like to see a Buckaroo Banzai remake or sequel.

Unfortunately, Peter Weller has outgrown the part - so it would have to be re-made before a sequel would be possible.

For those not familiar with Buckaroo Banzai -

He is a brain surgeon, nuclear physicist, test-pilot, and rock star. Between activities of his obviously busy life, he saves the world from Lord John Warfin and invaders from the 8th dimension (all named John) while nailing Ellen Barkin.

Everyone knows him from his scientific, daredevil and musical exploits - as well as his comic book. Along with fame comes responsibility, which he takes and delegates to his private all-volunteer army, the Blue Blaze Irregulars.

It was released at the same time as Revenge of the Nerds - which took the box office by storm, and pulled the spotlight away from this sci-fi classic.

It is not a movie to be taken seriously, but that's why it's so much fun.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yeah, Dragonriders of Pern... def TV series or movie material.

But maybe Larry Niven's Ringworld? That would look good on the big screen (if they could manage to not Hollywoodize/dumb it down too much).

I wish the gen pop was a little smarter, 'cause then decent movies would make money, thus more of them.

Edit: Elric movie mentioned above... that could be good... or terrible. I'm still bummed that Mountains of Madness wasn't made as Del Toro's sketches rocked.
edit on 2/10/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
Piers Anthony is long overdue for a serious film adaption, there's too many of his works worth considering (Xanth, Incarnations of Immortality, etc.)

Along the "high fantasy" genre, Stephen R. Donaldson "Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" could fill the void left by the LOTR/Hobbit series.

So much out there to consider adapting to film, yet all Hollywood can do is recycle the same crap.

ETA: Amagnon beat me to the punch on the Thomas Covenant series
edit on 8-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

You brought up another great one, the Incarnations of Immortality. Would L.O.V.E. to see that on screen. Piers has great stuff and all we get is Total Recall. Sigh

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Thecakeisalie

lostbook
Another sequel I want to see is "the Last Starfighter."

I was just thinking the same thing. That and Flight of the navigator.

OMG, I watched that movie till I wore out the tape. I think I traumatized my father because he still remembers it line by line. LOL

In fact, I thought I heard rumors of a remake. I would totally enjoy that. My son is just about Flight of the Navigator age.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

nixie_nox
What are yours?

H. P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness which Guillermo Del Toro wants to make but no studio feels it would be a viable R Rated horror and Del Toro does not want to go PG-13 (which I agree with).

I don't like horror, though I do really like creepy. When the Ring came out, I still had a huge projection TV. I was scared of that thing for 3 days. Might as well been a great huge garage door to let creepy hair girl in.

You don't have to go horror or pg, you can do a sufficiently creepy movie.

edit on 10-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I would really like to see Lucifer's Hammer.

The first part of the book is earily similar to Deep Impact, but continues into the aftermath of a comet strike. Awesome read.
edit on 10-2-2014 by idmonster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join