It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I burned a snowball today… (INTERNET HOAX)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So my dad's been talking to me about this thing he saw stating that if you put a snowball next to fire/on fire, it won't melt.

We decided to test it ourselves...
Apparently the snowball didn't melt..it just got burnt.
Add a little bit of seasoning and you'd have a delicious cooked snow ball!

So theres alot of discussion that this is the result from chem trails and such operations. It sounds pretty damn believable! Especially due to the fact that the snowball smelled like some sort of plastic. I also stained my fingers from the dark burned spots.

Here's a very awesome thread from another site that debunks the idea of "fake snow". Debunked: Fake Snow, Burning Snow
I'm still left with doubt with that thread due to the fact that the whole snowball I tested wouldn't melt (I moved the flames around the whole ball of snow and never saw a drop of water. Then I tested with an ice cube and the ice melted completely.

There have been many claims that state that the snow itself isn't burning, but "soot" in the frozen liquid itself is. If that i the case, the snow around my area seems to have ALOT of soot...where does all that "soot" come from? Hmmm

What's your take on this ATS?
edit on 1-2-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
What the hell?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

if this is true, then it's probably from all that smog coming here from china. snow/rain does filter out the junk in air.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I can get the black soot from a lighter to cover my finger... Does that mean I'm made of chemicals?

Snow is a great insulator that's why it doesn't melt when you put a fire inside of an igloo. It's not the snow leaving the residue it's the lighter by keeping the snow touching the yellow part of the flame or slightly above it.

Do an experement and place it on your propane stove and post the results. I bet there will be no residue or chemical smell.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I wonder how all this started?. Guy goes outside, makes snowball, goes inside, decid to set it on fire, discover "mystery", creates conspiracy

Anyway, you have any visual proof of this, simply cause i don't believe you.

We decided to test it ourselves...
Apparently the snowball didn't melt..it just got burnt.

If that i the case, the snow around my area seems to have ALOT of soot...where does all that "soot" come from?

I don't think soot is in the snow, but it could contain different kinds of pollution being in the air and cought as the ice crystals form.
edit on 1-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Just went out and retrieved a snowball. I took a lighter to it and same results. Not a drip, burning plastic smell, and black crap all over. Central illinois here. We do get a lot of sky tic tac toe but who knows why this works...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Take snow. Put it in a pan on the stove on low heat. See if you get water. If you say you don't you're a liar. This whole fake snow thing is so ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The process that's occurring is sublimation.

en.wikipedia.org...(chemistry)

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. Sublimation is an endothermic phase transition that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram.

The solid is being converted directly to a gas, while skipping the liquid phase.

As for the "soot" - it's from the flame. There's stuff like hydrocarbons in lighter fluid for example, among other things. General lighters that you buy in the store for example, are not clean burning and leave soot behind from the flame.

ETA - Video explaining what I said better

edit on 1-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is the latest in a long line of incredible Internet stupidity.

The policy at ATS is that we move all these topics to hoax.

I'm amazed that this is a "thing."

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
Take snow. Put it in a pan on the stove on low heat. See if you get water. If you say you don't you're a liar. This whole fake snow thing is so ridiculous.

Are you saying that a flame will not melt snow? If you say no then I guess will all know who the real liar is. The only thing that is ridiculous is the fact that you get name called for noticing something unusual and asking questions about it. Go figure, since this is already in the HOAX category. Guess denying ignorance went out the window when the website format changed.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gerizo

If it melts into water then the whole idea that the snow does not turn into water is false. How do you not understand that?

This whole internet sensation is a result of people not understanding things. My solution offeres a way for them to see for themselves that the snow is indeed snow, and does turn into water.

Or you can remain ignorant and keep claiming it's not snow and won't turn into water and be threatened by a way to prove you are wrong.
edit on 1-2-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
This is the latest in a long line of incredible Internet stupidity.

The policy at ATS is that we move all these topics to hoax.

I'm amazed that this is a "thing."

Incredible Internet stupidity? Since I performed this test perhaps you can explain why the snow did not melt when I applied a lighter, match, burned object to it? It sizzled like plastic and there was no water. I have tested this as well as many of my family members all with the same results. It took almost 4 hours for a snowball to melt in a bowl in my home at 72 degrees. Explain that please. My shoes dry extremely fast and there is not the usual "puddle" by the door from the snow. The snow does melt in the microwave and if it is applied to a metal pan on a stove. I live in Michigan, I know snow. I have known for a long time when any flame is applied to snow it melts. Ice may turn black but it drips water that is melting. It does not smell like burned plastic. Is the snow artificial/fake like this everywhere? Most likely not but some of it is.

The policy at ATS used to be " denying ignorance". Is it not being ignorant to call a topic such as this stupid without posting any results as to why its a hoax? Why is it stupid? You are amazed this is a "thing" yet Justin Bieber gets 24/7 news coverage and you sir are surprised this is a thing? What is this Bizarro World?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

If it melts into water then the whole idea that the snow does not turn into water is false.

This is a simpler way of explaining what's going on with the snow, rather than explaining sublimation. (I decided to post a phase diagram to help show sublimation/deposition)

Different molecules, compounds, etc....all have different melting or evaporating temperatures (and others listed in above photo) and pressures, and once an extreme temperature/pressure is placed upon a molecule, it can "skip" a phase.
edit on 1-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Gerizo

If it melts into water then the whole idea that the snow does not turn into water is false. How do you not understand that?

This whole internet sensation is a result of people not understanding things. My solution offeres a way for them to see for themselves that the snow is indeed snow, and does turn into water.

Or you can remain ignorant and keep claiming it's not snow and won't turn into water and be threatened by a way to prove you are wrong.

The whole idea is that the snow does not turn into water is false? WHAT? Flame applied to snow = water puddle. What don't I understand? Internet sensation? I tried it myself. So noticing something that is not normal and talking about it becomes and internet sensation in your mind? The thing that you do not understand is the snow I tried to melt with flame did not melt it singed/sizzled. There was no water puddle. I am not ignorant and you are no position to judge anyone. I didn't say it was not snow and I am not threatened nor will I be intimidated. I noticed an irregularity in something and I tested it. Now I am talking about it and asking questions about it. Snow becomes water when changes state. Similar to how when water boils steam rises from it. Did you know that?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Gerizo

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Gerizo

The whole idea is that the snow does not turn into water is false? WHAT? Flame applied to snow = water puddle. What don't I understand? Internet sensation? I tried it myself. So noticing something that is not normal and talking about it becomes and internet sensation in your mind? The thing that you do not understand is the snow I tried to melt with flame did not melt it singed/sizzled. There was no water puddle. I am not ignorant and you are no position to judge anyone. I didn't say it was not snow and I am not threatened nor will I be intimidated. I noticed an irregularity in something and I tested it. Now I am talking about it and asking questions about it. Snow becomes water when changes state. Similar to how when water boils steam rises from it. Did you know that?

So then how about you put it in a pan on low heat, and watch it turn into water .. and then you can stop thinking there is something weird with the snow. I am not sure what you are having a hard time understanding.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gerizo

It's called sublimation.

It's pretty simple really.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

AlphaHawk
reply to post by Gerizo

It's called sublimation.

It's pretty simple really.

Yes, which is why I gave him a method of testing that would avoid the problem of sublimation. He doesn't want to do it though, he'd rather insist the snow is weird.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gerizo

The physics and chemistry of water is VERY COUNTERINTUITIVE.
Unless you know otherwise-
i.e. via life experience/exposure- you just know it's normal just like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, though you don't know why;
or you know because you are educated in chemistry and physics-

however you expect water to react in a given set of circumstances, the actual reaction will very likely be the opposite of your hypothesis.

Don't take it personally!

Because of the "deviant" nature of H2O,

it's normal to experience cognitive dissonance.

IMO- government indoctrination centers (aka 'public schools') hold most of the blame;
however, with the Internet readily available, accountability is finally finding its way back home- where it belongs- WITH THE INDIVIDUAL.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Gerizo
The policy at ATS used to be " denying ignorance".

It still is.

This bit with the snow is madness. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Here maybe this will help...

www.accuweather.com...

Fake snow...what will they come up with next????

<<   2 >>

join