It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunches seized from kids in debt at Salt Lake City elementary

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I get the whole negative balance thing. To deny them is one thing, to offer them a lesser but simpler option until they got their balance up to date is another.

But to give the kids lunch and then actively take it back from them is just insanity, especially because it's elementary school kids.

High schoolers are different and can generally fend for themselves or going without won't kill them, but elementary school kids? Nah. That's messed up, man.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly!

It isn't the fault of the child, who is the one that will ultimately be paying the price.

The food went in the garbage, so it served no purpose but to embarrass, humiliate, and punish innocent children. The waste, as has been pointed out, is the height of absurdity, and whomever dreamed up that this was "okay", seriously needs to lose their job.

The damage to the children, with respect to self respect, is an unknown, but we all know this caused emotional damage of some type, to each and every one of those children.

It was cruel. It was inhumane treatment. It was embarrassing, humiliating, and likely a huge distraction for the rest of their day, and no telling how far into the future. Some of these children may be opened now, to bullying and teasing, torment from other children, for being a part of "that news story" because "your parents don't love you enough to pay your food bill".

Children can be terribly cruel, and trust me, this won't go away after lunch when their paper bags with the empty milk carton and apple cores get tossed on top of those uneaten lunch trays.

And people wonder why emotionally damaged children are coming back to schools for revenge? How many Adam Lanza's did they help create with this action?

In the meantime, the parents also suffer shame and embarrassment that some say they are due, because surely, notices must have been sent. One can only assume, yes?

Problem is, this is the first of the year, and working parents just got hit with their first insurance deductions for healthcare, and may be working with hugely new, and different budgets.

If the parents are taking time to work this out, which again, one can only assume, then, it may be taking time for them to get the required "two paystubs" showing cause for reduced or free lunches. Especially if they are paid bimonthly, like I am.

I would be one of those parents, struggling with high heating bills due to the cold weather, and huge new insurance premiums. I have been overdrawn my last two pay periods. I cannot imagine what some of these families may be experiencing right now.

And, until we know more of the story, I think it's wrong to pass judgement on anyone but school officials, but especially on the children, who are the most innocent of all, and likely to pay the highest price in this whole incident, or their parents.

This whole story continues to sicken and disgust me, as well as the positions of some of the posters. (Not you, Slayer).

edit on 31-1-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

ETA - like I said. One can only assUme. Looks like that is exactly what some posters did. Turns out, some parents were not notified.

m.ksl.com...

They only started notifying parents on Monday.

Also,

The Jordan School District does not have a set policy, but a spokesman said they will charge elementary school students up to five days,...

No set policy? How does a school system with no set policy function in such a way they torment these children like this?

"There were lots of tears, and it was pretty
upsetting for them," said Lukes.

This should stand as one of 2014's Wall Of Shame prize winners for ATS.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by w8tn4it

And did you hear the latest news, to put the icing on the proverbial cake?! They want schools to start feeding them dinner, too!

drhotze.com...

www.tampabay.com...

Pinellas serving free dinner at 18 schools, with more to come

truthstreammedia.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

D.C. schools dinner program aims to
fight childhood hunger

So, 3 squares a day. The schools will soon be bedding them down, and be responsible for vision, dental, and healthcare.

Maybe Melissa Tampon Earring lady was right, on MSNBC, when she made her video saying, "Your children no longer belong to you, they belong to the collective...", and people just nod, and let it happen.

And then, they turn around and do something like this. Stop the insanity!!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

The same kind of nonsense if going on in the UK with the govt wanting schools to start at 8 am till 6pm so that in effect children will be working a 9 - 10 hour day........getting used to the 'slavery' early! Hmm.

I see huge change coming and every knee jerk, bizarre action of government, especially at the present speed they are moving at, simply serves to wake the sleepy one up.

As for the throwing away of these children's dinner goes........well, I expect a lot of those dinner people went to school where education and intelligence are poles apart. Shame and double shame on those who 'followed orders' and a lot worse shame to those who gave the orders!

Those who can might consider Home Schooling where dinner is never thrown away and always served with love and a smile.

edit on 31-1-2014 by Elliot because: grammar

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
After some interviews with several people, on and off camera, we find:

A retired cafeteria worker said the cafeteria workers are upset everytime they have to do this. Wth??

At least one child was denied lunch over a $4.00 debt. Lunch cost 3.00 a day.

Parents signed up for email notification, no notifications were received via email or sent with the children.

Some parents were NOT behind in payments and the debt information was incorrect.

These were kindergarteners through 6th grade.

This school cafeteria is even more out of control than I originally thought. I also read on some other ATS threads about several schools denying a regular lunch to children because of small debts with the lunch programs. It's evil when a child is denied a decent lunch because of a small recent debt while the Whitehouse can spend money on 5 mil on new crystal stemware during a government shutdown.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope this isn't off topic..but schools are getting worse. I really didn't want to believe it..but Im beginning to question even the school my two girls go to. I have one in 2nd grade and one in Kinder. A few times this past month my 2nd grader (she is very shy and would never cause trouble) came home with a full lunch box. I asked her "WHY didn't you eat?" "You have to eat so you don't sit there with a belly ache all day" she told me that on a few occasions they were not allowed to eat because other students in the lunch room were getting in trouble and when this happens they make everyone STOP and listen to them harp on about being good, and how they must be very quiet in the lunch room. My daughter is NOT a loud talker, she is never in trouble and in general is a shy, and timid little girl. I was fumed at this because it has happened more than once. I called up there and complained and it stopped for a while.

Last week she told me she got yelled at. Knowing the type of person she is I was shocked. I asked her why she got into trouble..she told me she was in class (they have to stay in during lunch recess because of below freezing temps) they stay in class at their seats during cold weather...anyway..she was in class and asked the girl sitting next to her if she could borrow her blue crayon. I said "did you yell at her?" "no" "did you hit her" "no, mom I just whispered to her" These kids were on their lunchtime break..their only free time..(they get no other recess or activity on any day) I was livid to say the least. I immediately called her teacher and she was shocked because she knows how quiet my daughter is. The next day the principal caught me in the hallway and told me she was sorry this took place and the one lady that did the yelling had been talked to. My daughter tells me that things are ran like nazi germany..I mean she doesn't say nazi germany..but the things happening are very questionable. My kids come home stressed out and generally unhappy. In the morning they don't want to go back. Unfortunately, we have to wait it out a few more months..we are moving to another state in a few months and I hope they have better and more caring schools.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2014 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

KEMIK

I completely agree. Is it really that difficult to call the parents later?

Something similar happened to me in 1st or 2nd grade. I forgot to bring my lunch money ($1.50) and they wouldn't give me anything. I remember being so embarrassed and not to mention, hungry. That was the only time I forgot to bring money. It wasn't like I was a "habitual offender".

Every kid forgets their lunch or lunch money a couple of times in their schooling years, it's normal. Even I forgot mine a few times over the years, and they never let me go hungry. Granted, it was either PB & J (ew) or a gross wilted school salad, and either a cup of water or a carton of milk, but it was something to eat.

What I don't get is why they scrambled to collect the lunches & chucked them....only to give them fruit & milk? They tossed food, only to give different food? HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? Waste is waste, and this is a shining example of it.

Another thing I can't wrap my mind around is how this "system" in this school works. They couldn't see who was in the red until after the food was "purchased"? Um wut? In the 90's, our school's register could spit out balance info on the spot. I'd been informed by the cashier a few times, "I'm sorry Little Nyiah, you don't have enough for the orange/apple/banana, it needs to go back if you don't have pocket money for it." Simple system there, the parents could either give daily cash for lunch, or put down a certain amount to be drawn from for a while for lunch. Balance info was viewed at the point of purchase. This is 2014, you meaning to tell me 20 years later, it's gotten less efficient?

Back to food waste, however, because this ticks me off to no avail. One of my neighbors is a lunch lady, and we're given, on average, a gallon's worth of milk cartons per week from her. Cafeteria staff is NOT allowed to give any leftover food & drink to kids, but staff may take it home. Any of it. Drinks & food alike. How effed up is this? I know she sneaks a little fresh fruit & a few gallons to poor kids she knows from school somehow, but she can get in SERIOUS trouble for doing it if she's caught. That is incredibly wrong. She's free to bring home excess milk that wasn't sold that day and give it to me, but she's barred from giving it to needy students to take home. Think about how f***ed up this is.

I'm not giving two bowel movements about what anyone thinks about lunch money delinquent kids. Go ahead & complain, you're missing the more troubling thing. That blame game is a nice facade to hide behind and obscure a massive amount of food waste with.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Oh man reading that bullsh** got my blood to boil! Goodness be they get some food in their stomachs despite owing a few dollars. Absolutely disgusting and a sign of what America has turned into.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, you gotta wonder why school lunch isnt FREE to ALL students across the board, esp if they arent allowed to bring in their OWN lunches.
They should make it free for all students, have it come out of taxes or something, I dont know.
All I know is if someone tried to take my food away from me nowadays, they'd get a fork in their hand. Dunno how I would have reacted as a child, as I got free lunch.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
LDS Deseret Industries

Since it is a welfare entity, Deseret Industries provides useful goods at low cost to the public, and also provides clothing and other items for humanitarian efforts throughout the world. Some of the donated goods are given to people in the community upon recommendation of the local bishop, in the event of a disaster such as a fire or flood.The revenue generated through sales of donations is used to support other LDS Church Welfare Services organizations and programs throughout the world.

Does anyone want to locate the discrepancy with this?

edit on (1/31/1414 by loveguy because: spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well, what with all the outcry, someone's head had to roll, and it looks like school admin is taking action against the cafeteria manager.

Lunchlady on Leave After Trashing Hungry Kids’ Food

A Utah cafeteria manager was placed on administrative leave and a school district apologized Thursday after lunches were seized from the hands of hungry elementary school students who had run out of lunch money

PAID leave, mind you: :/

The manager has been placed on paid administrative leave, and more employees could be placed on leave as well.

Another paid vacation for screwing up.

Boy, I need to work for the government.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wow, that is so upsetting.
I remember when I was in school, there would be a couple of times when I forgot my lunch money or if my account was expired, the lunch ladies would just say, "its okay, go ahead an go eat" an just wave me through.
People in general seem to have gotten more cynical.
After reading the article, one has to wonder, was this from the school? or just a single employee taking action into his/her own hands? even so, these are children...
Lunch was my favorite part of the day, I was a RUNNER, lol, yes that one kid in school you see running his arse off to make it to the front of the line....

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

HomerinNC
Well, you gotta wonder why school lunch isnt FREE to ALL students across the board, esp if they arent allowed to bring in their OWN lunches.
They should make it free for all students, have it come out of taxes or something, I dont know.
All I know is if someone tried to take my food away from me nowadays, they'd get a fork in their hand. Dunno how I would have reacted as a child, as I got free lunch.

--
lol, I totally see you sticking a plastic fork into some fools hand while wearing that mask....an a cigarette hanging out....

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In Dearborn Michigan no child will ever be denied lunch, regardless of their balance, or financial standing.

And we even have a breakfast program set up for kids that may not have options at home, in the morning.

This is by far the most despicable act of cruelty I have heard in a long time.

Time for someone, or group of people that are responsible for that shameless act to resign. Nothing less.

I am personally writing a letter of condemnation to the school, if anyone is interested here is their contact info and website.

uintah.slcschools.org...

If things are that bad send me the damn bill I'll pay it for those kids. wth!

edit on 31-1-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I just want to know what goes through people's heads when making these initial decisions. It's absolutely insane to think they put the thought into their actions.

They are CHILDREN.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What really concerns me with this entire episode is not one single adult, teacher, staff member stood-up and said something, or even volunteered to pay for the meals.

Even at $3 a meal it would have only been $120.

Divided by a group of upstanding responsible adults, is not much.

On a positive note.

I guess things like this happen for a reason, and awareness is much greater because of it.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I would have thought they would have come up with a solution that involved some sort of lunch drive, or fundraising activity...or hell, when I was in grade school the thing classes did was "adopt a whale." I know teachers don't make a lot of money, but maybe have an "adopt a student lunch" program where teachers have the option to take care of one kids meals until the parents get on their feet.

I know the logistics would not be ideal, but at least it would be an attempt at keeping the kids fed.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As bad as this situation was played out, I bet there were a bunch of kids with checks made out to the school cafeteria the next day.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Horrible. You don't treat children this way. There would be hell to pay if it was my kids. People would be fired. I guarantee it. I hope those parents fight tooth and nail for justice. Then to top it off when, schools are still short on funding you just throw the lunch away? What kind of people are running our schools there? Pathetic.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scotts8826

I'm also guessing this isn't the only school this has happened.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join