It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Occulus Rift being used to remotely control humans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Okay, currently, this innocently resides in the "science and technology" forum, although there are a few others that come to mind. Admins, if you feel the need to modify the forum this is under - go right ahead.

I just read this article, and was lost for words.

www.tomshardware.com...

Ever since i've started reading about the Occulus Rift virtual reality headset, this has been a thought that has always come to mind. And to actually see people trying this, has left me speechless.

It's actually scary with the progression that engineers are making in terms of exoskeleton suits to reduce physical stress on the body, to gesture controlled robotic arms, that i would NOT be surprised if we saw humans being remotely controlled by other humans within the next 10 years.

Such a dystopian fantasy is a lot closer than everyone realises.

Anyway, i'm just seeing what everybody's thoughts are on this. Personally, i'm incredibly interested by the idea. I see a project like this being used to "remotely assist" people from somewhere else. Sort of like the "remote desktop connection" used by IT admins, although i haven't thought about who would qualify to assist people in this way.

Although, sadly, i believe this will only ever be used as a weapon. Ideas like these never usually progress "for the greater good". Great idea in theory - Practically, we'll see.

edit on 29-1-2014 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

xxdaniel21
Although, sadly, i believe this will only ever be used as a weapon. Ideas like these never usually progress "for the greater good". Great idea in theory - Practically, we'll see.

They're seeing through cameras that the other one is wearing. Not to be crude, but BFD. Seriously. "weapon" and "mind control" seem, well, about as overstated as it comes.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

Is something like this what you have in mind?

Although it's far off, it would be awesome if we could send surrogate bodies into outer space to explore other planets. We sure as hell can't survive on Mars, but a robot can.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I don't recall stating "mind control". Please tell me where you see those words in the original post seeing you so confidently used inverted commas.

Moreover, why don't you look at the potential? If i can think of a project like this, why cannot somebody with a bit more money and imagination develop it? I think you're just playing the devils advocate

I've worded the title in "future-tense", stating a possibility.
edit on 29-1-2014 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

That concept, but with real humans, perhaps prisoners - as in the movie "gamer".

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I can see how the Occulus Rift would have military uses for training and perhaps battlefield robotics but I guess that's to be expected , I don't see it allowing the control of people any time soon.
My interest is in its capability to fully immerse a gamer in open world RPGs like Skyrim when combined with other Tech like the 360 deg treadmill and sensors like Kinect , no more mouse and keyboard to to draw your sword as you're strolling through the forests and come across a bandit camp or get attacked by a bear .... next step a fully fledged Holodeck

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

What does humans being remote controlled by other humans mean then? Within ten years no less. You said it.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

gortex

I can see how the Occulus Rift would have military uses for training and perhaps battlefield robotics but I guess that's to be expected , I don't see it allowing the control of people any time soon.
My interest is in its capability to fully immerse a gamer in open world RPGs like Skyrim when combined with other Tech like the 360 deg treadmill and sensors like Kinect , no more mouse and keyboard to to draw your sword as you're strolling through the forests and come across a bandit camp or get attacked by a bear .... next step a fully fledged Holodeck
with reality like that I wouldn't be surprised by a case of vertual poison ivy.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Bedlam

xxdaniel21

They're seeing through cameras that the other one is wearing. Not to be crude, but BFD. Seriously. "weapon" and "mind control" seem, well, about as overstated as it comes.

This. Just this. ^^
OP, the Oculus Rift is, to oversimplify it, a screen on wrap-around shades on steroids. The object it to simulate being in an environment by it encompassing all of your vision. It's just a visual trick to make artificial environments/ locations seem more real. Keyword being "seem". I'm eagerly awaiting Cyan's upcoming Obduction video game, which will have OR support. With their graphics history, it will rock, hands down. But claiming it'd control people? That just shows utter ignorance of the tech. Might as well say motion simulation rides control, too, since the concept is pretty much the same.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I don't recall stating "mind control".

Well functions of the mind and brain would have to be controlled to control the body.

So you unless you haven't thought that far mind control would be used or a device attached to the body to act as another mind or brain controlling motor function of the body.

new topics

top topics

join