It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Page going all over the place.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hi,

I need someone to tell me why my page goes all over the place when I try to move my mouse to a certain area on the page.
I wasn't having this problem until I got on today.
Like, when I use the mouse on the scroll bar and stop where I want to, then move my mouse to the post I want to reply to, I can't get the page to be still so I can click on the reply button.

Is it something wrong with my mouse, or has a setting been changed?

I do have other people that use the computer, and I never know what they have fooled with in my absence.

I have Windows XP, version 2002 (yeah, I know, I need to update) LOL, and use Google ISP. I don't have the chrome turned on.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

have you tried cleaning your mouse?

link   
reply to post by sled735

Sounds like your left click mouse button might be sticking. Crack it open and clean it maybe?

link   
bad web site code written for touch screen users,,iphones & such - is my bet

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Yeah, sounds like maybe a stuck left-mouse button. What I do when that happens is tap really hard, really fast and whatever is causing the problem usually works itself free. If it's stuck, something might have been spilled in there and there isn't much you can do unless you wash it out under water and let it sit for a week to dry.

Might be easier to just buy a new mouse for $10.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Have you tried turning it off and on again? *internet joke but seriously have you?*
Are you experiencing this only on ATS or all web sites?
^If all sites have you tested this in a different browser?
Is it an optical mouse?

edit on 28-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It does this on all sites I visit. It isn't wi-fi. So, I'll try cleaning it.
I can't get to the store right now. We have almost 5 inches of snow out there!

Thanks everyone.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
windows xp that is about as old as my pants
you need a new mouse and run advanced system care or cc cleaner just to be sure good luck and get rid of xp it is so last decade and near to the cliff in april this year

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

I didn't mean are you on wifi, I meant is your mouse battery operated. Sometimes I experience issues similar when the battery is failing. If it's old school mouse then it could be super dirty. Cleaning it is pretty straightforward. Been a while tho
First thing is to simply restart the PC and then to test in multiple browsers though. I assume you have done all that?
edit on 28-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

You're not telling me anything I don't know. And I will happily go buy the newest version when I receive a check in the mail from you so I can pay for it.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

No, it doesn't have a battery. It's just old. LOL I'm sure it's dirty. Yes, I did a re-boot, and used Gary Utilities to clean my computer of junk. Still happening, so I'll try cleaning the mouse until I can get to the store to buy a new one.

Thanks everyone.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Sorry I am persistent. I worked tech support for many years prior to switching to web development. Have you tested in multiple browsers? Like Chrome and Firefox, etc. You mentioned Chrome was off in your opening post. What did you mean by that?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Well, I have an option in my Google site to turn chrome on or off. That's all I know. I've heard chrome can allow one's privacy to be invaded easier.

My daughter just came in and said she had changed the settings on the mouse. She showed me what she did, and changed them back.
It is working fine now.

Why do I even bother wasting my breath telling people not to touch my settings?!!!!!!!! They don't listen to me!!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

999zxcv
you need a new mouse and run advanced system care or cc cleaner just to be sure good luck and get rid of xp it is so last decade and near to the cliff in april this year

What have windows 7 and 8 got that improves performance over XP Pro? From what I have seen it is all cosmetics. I have programs that I paid good money for that will not run on 7 or 8. This is just planned obsolescence. Sell more operating systems and motherboards. I wish programmers would just get on board with Linux so we can all give the finger to Microsoft and Apple.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Ahh. I see.

Does she have her own 'User Account' created? Not sure if I remember how XP works but it might allow her to save those mouse setting for her profile so it won't affect yours. Not sure though.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I wish programmers would just get on board with Linux so we can all give the finger to Microsoft and Apple.

Linux and OS X have a lot in common. OS X is a Unix operating system and Linux was based on that. OS X is great. Apple as a company might not be, nor their pricing, but the OS is still solid.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by sled735

Ahh. I see.

Does she have her own 'User Account' created? Not sure if I remember how XP works but it might allow her to save those mouse setting for her profile so it won't affect yours. Not sure though.

She uses FireFox, and I use Google because she has to have things set a certain way for her school work. The mouse setting would affect us both though. She can change it when she has to do what she needs to do, as long as she changes it back before I get home.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

groingrinder

999zxcv

What have windows 7 and 8 got that improves performance over XP Pro? From what I have seen it is all cosmetics. I have programs that I paid good money for that will not run on 7 or 8. This is just planned obsolescence. Sell more operating systems and motherboards. I wish programmers would just get on board with Linux so we can all give the finger to Microsoft and Apple.
xp was a solid o/s in the day everything after sucked big time vista and windows 8 are a joke but with support ending or already gone it is time to move on but i still love xp it was good to cut my teeth on

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

sled735
reply to post by 999zxcv

You're not telling me anything I don't know. And I will happily go buy the newest version when I receive a check in the mail from you so I can pay for it.
you can get them for free if you know where to look sorry for trying to help

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

Please send me a link. FREE is good!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join