It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin budget surplus nears $1 billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Some good news out of Wisconsin this week.

They actually showed some signs of fiscal intelligence by posting a $977 million *Surplus*

That's *Surplus* with an "S"

Now the fight is what to do with the extra money.

Governor Walker says return it to the taxpayers because it is theirs !!! (WHAT !!)

Others of course oppose that outrageous solution.

Walker is looking into various tax reductions, as it seems Wisconsin "suffered" higher than projected tax revenues.

Notice too that this story didn't get all that much attention on the "News".

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin's budget surplus was projected Thursday to reach nearly $1 billion, money that Gov. Scott Walker and Republican legislative leaders are eyeing for income and property tax cuts.

But news of the $977 million surplus, which was expected for weeks but larger than many anticipated, set off a feeding frenzy in the Capitol among lobbyists, special interest groups and lawmakers.

"Everybody and their cousins from other states will be coming home to get a piece of the money," said Republican Senate President Mike Ellis, who has served through several budget booms and busts since he took office in 1971.

Wisconsin budget surplus nears $1 billion

Is business good there? How 'bout jobs?

The U.S. Senate might launch an investigation soon

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The MSM dislikes success stories... especially from a Conservative. I'm guessing the Justice Department will go after him now...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

madmac5150
The MSM dislikes success stories... especially from a Conservative. I'm guessing the Justice Department will go after him now...

Or,

The IRS will audit the whole State.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well, it seems Wisconsin is doing something right with their money.

Governor Walker says return it to the taxpayers because it is theirs !!!

Back when I lived in Minnesota, we had Jesse Ventura as governer and he gave us back the budget surplus for each year.

en.wikipedia.org...

Nevertheless, Ventura was still successful in several initiatives. One of the most notable was the rebate on sales tax. In each year of his administration, Minnesotans received a tax-free check in the late summer.[50] The state was running a budget surplus at the time, and Ventura believed that the money should be returned to the public.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
That's the 'best news' story of the year.
Wisconsin

Hopefully they'll bank it ... and reduce taxes until the funds are depleted. That's the kind of strategy that would draw new business into the state.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I know that this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but I believe that a bit of the surplus should be put into a "In Case of Emergency" fund. Not a rainy day type of fund, but rather one where it is an actual large emergency.

But of course, continue the Tax rebates.

Walker is doing it right.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
That is great! I am so happy for money. It gets to sit in a safe place, all warm, cuddled, and fed.

new topics

top topics

join