It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbing of America with TV News

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Initially I almost placed this in the Television forum but this issue seems beyond mere TV information. I believe the following shows that those in control of television news are systematically using the medium to "dumb down" the American public in regards to the world around them.

A few days back I came across an article on the IntelliHub site talking about how the US television networks were covering less international news and increasingly covering what was called "celebrity news." In other words, Americans are being slowly deprived of the information the need in order to make rational, informed decisions about world and even political events.

Imagine my surprise when I went back to the article this morning only to receive a 404 error. Since the article was well sourced I can easily believe this as an attempt at suppression. However, I was glad to find the article in other locations.

IntelliHub 404

Major Parts of World Ignored by U.S. TV News in 2013

WASHINGTON, Jan 11 2014 (IPS) - If people outside the United States are looking for answers why Americans often seem so clueless about the world outside their borders, they could start with what the three major U.S. television networks offered their viewers in the way of news during 2013.

Well you may say, there are lots of news sources people can use, what's the difference? The fact is though that a majority of Americans still get their news from the television. That is a major mistake for anyone who actually cares that there are countries beyond the US borders. As TV news goes so goes the majority of American focus.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Television is the main place Americans say they turn to for news about current events (55%), leading the Internet, at 21%. Nine percent say newspapers or other print publications are their main news source, followed by radio, at 6%.

TV Is Americans' Main Source of News

2013 marks the year when ABC World News finally rejected the mission of presenting a serious newscast. ABC covered all four of the major domestic policy stories least heavily: the Budget debate, the Healthcare rollout, Gun control, and National Security Agency surveillance. Same with foreign policy: ABC spent least time on the civil war in Syria and its chemical weapons disarmament, the military coup in Egypt, and on Afghanistan.

Instead, ABC stepped up its coverage of Sports and Show Business, and highlighted morning-style reporters Ginger Zee (weather) and Paula Faris (personal finance tips).

As for the Israel-Palestinian conflict which Secretary of State John Kerry has made a top priority along with a nuclear deal with Iran, it received only 16 minutes of coverage in 2013. “Palestine has virtually disappeared from the news agenda,” noted Tyndall.

Tyndall Report

Coupled with the pullback of real news reporting by CNN, MSNBC and such it's no wonder Americans have less knowledge of important issues. I for one think that's been the plan all along.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hey, don't be cutting down the news. Without it I wouldn't have enough entertainment in my life. I like to analyze what the real reason is that they are broadcasting all the crap. It makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes or mostly Charley Chan. Charley Chan was in comedies and what is being told to us is sometimes comical.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Sure, they wouldn't lie to us. They dont want us to live in fear or anything.

Its not like they are controlling the masses through some chicanery.

They have only the best intentions.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

rickymouse
Hey, don't be cutting down the news. Without it I wouldn't have enough entertainment in my life. I like to analyze what the real reason is that they are broadcasting all the crap. It makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes or mostly Charley Chan. Charley Chan was in comedies and what is being told to us is sometimes comical.

To be fair there is validity to your statement. Still it seems we should not need to deconstruct the news or lack of news in this case to finally arrive at the truth of national and global events.

Between the talking puppet-heads and reality TV I despair for many of my fellow Americans.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I certainly don't disagree with you, and "journalism" is certainly in decline, replaced by entertainment. I see this happening before my very eyes. I don't watch 24/7 news channels any more, only local news (which I generally respect), and World News (ABC). In the latter, I have noticed they DO often times cover important events, if only summarily (how much can they fit into 30 minutes?). Other times, I see a story and I think, "WTH is this even on the news?? WTH is this on WORLD NEWS tonight? I know there are more important things happening." And I see this on twitter ALL the time. "Why is this even new, or important?" Of course, the template for tv news IS to cover chicken dinner topic, that's a standard.

One could argue, however, that they are simply giving people what they want to watch. True, (one of the) the media's job is (supposed to be) to keep the populace INFORMED so that they can make the decisions necessary for the betterment of their country and their democracy. The question is, though, is it a purposeful dumbing down, or are they just becoming entertainment, trying to keep viewers, make money with advertisements (which requires large viewership)? An Informed Citizenry is ESSENTIAL for a healthy democracy..

It seems, however, that the media are now becoming a new BUSINESS MODEL, not a service. Therein lies the problem, I think, ESPECIALLY where 24/7 news is concerned. They HAVE to constantly talk about SOMETHING (see the next big tragedy and how it's nonstop BS "analysis," "speculation," an every possible crappy angle or opinion they can find, just to keep people viewing). When there is no tragedy, however, they just go on about whatever BS they can find, and since most people are plugging in to trash programming and pop culture gossip, that is the content they use.

The old question remains, do they give people what the people want, or do they tell/condition people into what's important through their own programming decisions? I think it's both, and that they continually feed off each other. Tell people X, Y, Z, or BS, and you realize the people like to hear more BS, they dedicate more programing to that, in which case they are becoming negligent at their jobs. :/

It's a sad cycle, and i think the 24/7 Media are to blame, which is why I like journalism like like Moyers and Stephanopoulos.

ETA: We do know that stories get buried if they don't fit in with the paradigm of the organization as defined by those at the top and the media owners, the extent which we don't necessarily know.

edit on 18-1-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I for one think that's been the plan all along.

I have felt this way too, and still do, but at the same time I wonder if they feed us what they think we will watch, for ratings , which means many Americans would choose to watch crap or sensationalism than actual news. I can't help but think with the popularity of such shows as honey boo boo and jersey shore, that many Americans like this stuff, therefore the media doles it out per demand and the TV news follows suit with fluff superficial garbage.
I honestly think it is all more of a distraction factor to keep us less informed, but sometimes I still wonder…

Then there is the factor that maybe many people don't want to know truth that is disturbing, they don't want to hear depressing news and they are much more accompanying to superficial distractive fluff.
I honestly think it is all more of a distraction factor to keep us less informed, but sometimes I still wonder…

I am really glad personally that thanks to ATS, I was made aware of Ben Swan. His show one of the most honest and assertive news information site imo. Other then that I still watch Daily Show for truth and perspective.

I recall this Russel Brand(ironic yes) bit that kind of shows how silly our news efforts and set up are.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I can't agree more. Although it is far from limited to news stations.

Now I have to go because Honey Boo Boo is on in ten minutes. After that I am going to watch the following shows back to back.

Buckwild
Pit Bulls & Parolees
Hollywood Hillbillies.
Hillbilly Handfishing
Hillbilly Blood
Rocket City Rednecks
My Big Redneck Wedding
The Legend of Shelby the Swampman
American Hoggers
Backyard Oil
Myrtle Manor
Swamp Pawn
Street Outlaws
Bayou Billionaires
Small Town Security
Ghostland Tennessee
Redneck Island
Lady Hoggers
Swamp People
Moonshiners
Duck Dynasty
My Big Redneck Vacation
Deep South Paranormal
Lizard Lick Towing

edit on 18-1-2014 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Hahahah ohh man.

I dont even want to give my opinion on this.

Sad sad America with her distractions. I dont want to see you in a few more years.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I don't think this is anything new.

For more years than i can remember, a majority of Americans i believe havn't a clue what goes on beyond the borders of The USA. Added to this their knowledge of world history is at best skewed.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

There are numerous websites and YT vids portraying the average American citizen as somewhat oblivious to international current events, geographical locations, customs, traditions etc.

The question is....why is Snowden and Assange portrayed as the enemy? and yet the information they are expressing is suppressed and the average American citizen simply can not even articulate why the TV labels them "traitors"

In my opinion, this dumbing down is directly proportional to the US international power grab.

Nothing will change until the citizens rise up and take their country back, it appears that you did not win the 2nd world war, you invited the enemy to your shores - they simply dropped the red, white and black flag and cloaked themselves in your red white and blue one.

Rage against the machine.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Good ole project paperclip. Once a traitor always a traitor.

But they were kept under surveillance and NEVER trusted.

Not sure if i buy that as the source of the issues.

Makes for some interesting thinking though.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

rickymouse

S + F for this poster! you beat me too it. I love telling my wife after seeing something on the news ,"watch this is whats coming next". sometimes i even get it right!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The question is....why is Snowden and Assange portrayed as the enemy? and yet the information they are expressing is suppressed and the average American citizen simply can not even articulate why the TV labels them "traitors"

In my opinion, this dumbing down is directly proportional to the US international power grab.

Snowden and Assange are considered traitors because they've exposed TPTB in the US for what they really are, evil power hungry imperialists with a wicked bent for fascism. IMO Snowden is probably the greatest hero the US has seen for decades.

As far as the international power grab you may be right. Pretty hard for people to protest when they don't know what's going on. Which brings up the Syria debacle, how did it get so much coverage as to rouse Americans against invading it? I wonder who exactly was behind that bit of media manipulation?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Bingo

A case of the left hand (the people) not knowing what the right hand (the gubbrment) is doing.

Its a major case of strategic division of labor. No one person must get all the info of the endgame.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Bassago

Snowden and Assange are considered traitors because they've exposed TPTB in the US for what they really are, evil power hungry imperialists with a wicked bent for fascism. IMO Snowden is probably the greatest hero the US has seen for decades.

As far as the international power grab you may be right. Pretty hard for people to protest when they don't know what's going on. Which brings up the Syria debacle, how did it get so much coverage as to rouse Americans against invading it? I wonder who exactly was behind that bit of media manipulation?

This brings up a good point i touched on in my first reply. I've noticed that a journalist like Stephanopoulos doesn't demonize Snowden as a traitor, but rather looks at the information he brought to light. He doesn't look at the person so much as the act, which I think is what a good journalist does. It's the 24/7 news PUNDITS that demonize because they have an agenda, whether a Right (Fox) or a Left (MSNBC) agenda and they have owners/bosses/editors who dictate what is covered and how and how much, and what the slant should (which is why it's less journalism than subjective propaganda and entertainment).

Stay away from 24/7 news & pundits because it is completely SUBJECTIVE. Choose real journalism, at least as real as you can get, which tries to be OBJECTIVE.

Choose your media carefully, and you'll see what I mean.

As far as Syria goes (and even the Iraq war, which many journalists will admit in retrospect), they based their reporting on what they got from the government, which s ALWAYS wrong. They had not the independent means, per se, to investigate and get independently verifiable facts, so the reporting was slanted—by the source. That's bad journalism, but it got us into Iraq, and luckily the lesson was learned enough that the media started to question the source in regards to Syria, and thankfully that "intervention" was averted.

edit on 18-1-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's what people want. The more educated stations get less viewership.

I was interested in this "fusion" t.v. thinking it would be better since it's geared towards the millennials.

Nope. I mean, the topics are different... a little, but it's just more millennial friendly, is all.

I'd wager to say that besides having different topics, the actual information isn't all that enlightening, and perhaps even more so dumbed down than something on CNN, or MSNBC.

I think the US is just one giant experiment, and we're all accepting being guinea pigs.

People outside the states think we're batpoo crazy. I can see why.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

That's bad journalism, but it got us into Iraq, and luckily the lesson was learned enough that the media started to question the source in regards to Syria, and thankfully that "intervention" was averted.

Call me suspicious if you want but not for a second do I believe that the media coverage was merely because they learned from Iraq. At the moment there is no proof of this but I suspect that someone(s) of great influence molded coverage to influence the outcome.

But who would have enough influence to go against the ones who were screaming for war in Syria? If I recall the DoD wasn't too thrilled with the idea.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What cracks me up is when the news medias fear monger the weather--they start screaming that a snow storm, in January, mind you, is going to hit at the Canadian border!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snow and Ice!!!!!!! OMG IT'Z TEH END TIMEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

And the news is very controlled or planned. They want you to see things how they want you to see them, and most of the time, the truth does not matter to them. FOX, CNN,--it all makes me sick with their constant bickering. Can't we all band together for the very reason of making the quality of life better for everyone??? Jee wiz they get on my nerves.

I do like Shipping Wars and The Walking Dead, and a couple other shows, but I have to DVR it or I'll have to set through all the bank and sexual aid commercials. Most of the time, I just leave it on the western channel. It just takes me back to a less-complicated time.

But I agree, there are a lot of sheep in America who eat that crap up and actually believe it, although I think we're witnessing an awakening, slowly but surely. News medias, and TeeVee in general, are just a front for the bankers and friends, the politicians, drug makers.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Smart people DVR everything and get their news from the internet. Dumb people don't so why cater to those that are no longer in your market.

I know a (and dislike) a family that only watches Fox News.
If you ask them;
Global warming is a fraud.
Democrats are gay
Minorities are criminals
N------ are all lazy
Obama has no birth certificate and is a Muslim
Sarah Palin would have made a great president.

Did I mention they all wait drooling over the next Duck Dynasty Episode? They make me vomit.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by webedoomed

Smart people DVR everything and get their news from the internet. Dumb people don't so why cater to those that are no longer in your market.

Isn't that a circular argument?

Tell you what, if I could find a news network which had high standards backed by sound principals, I'd watch them regardless of the medium.

How do you recreate the once high standards of a time long gone for todays world? Millions of minds would like to know.

I know a (and dislike) a family that only watches Fox News.
If you ask them;

Have you seen the threads on this site in the last couple of years? Your assessment is clearly applicable to a chunk of people on here as well.

I ask again, how do you recreate the high standards in todays world? What medium do you use? How do you not have special interest groups up your arse to push propaganda? How do you incentivize real investigate journalists to come on board?

I'm asking for real. The standard needs to be established, ASAP.

edit on 18-1-2014 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join