It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents, does you teen answer your phone call or text or do they blow you off?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've always answered my parents' calls. They're always important, none of that long-winded talking that phone calls often are. Then again, my cell phone was originally given to me for when either of us are out and about (full basic, no camera and no texting plan). Not that I wouldn't ignore them otherwise, but I would be quick to point out that I prefer to communicate face-to-face.

My biggest problem is that I often forgot to turn my phone on in the first place. But I'm getting better at that...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

FlySolo
What do you tell these kids when they ignore you when your trying to get a hold of them? If I call, it's because I've got something important to say. Then I see a post on FB instead. Man is that annoying...

The age of technology.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by FlySolo

"Son. You have 5 minutes to reply to this message or you are truly on your own. No inheritance, no monthly checks, no deposits on your debit card."

Love Dad.

(worked for me!)

Buhaha, I missed two of my dads calls this week. I better stay awake to answer tomorrow. There was one time I didn't answer the phone and he did a well check on me with the cops. They came banging on my door sometime during the night,seeing if I was okay.

I was like, I'm sleeping.

I made sure to call my dad after that visit.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

violet
I don't have teens, I have 30 y olds. They don't answer my calls either. Parents are annoying I guess. Until they need us for something. My daughters nickname is Aneeda. She a need a this, a need a that. The only time she calls is when she needs something.
edit on 14-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

ROFL.

Least she lives up to her name.

HAHA

edit on 15-1-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

If you are just now trying to change a pattern of behavior at the age of 18, It may be too late. What he is doing to you is showing nothing but complete and utter disrespect. Respect is something that needs to be instilled from a young age. The disrespect that is being shown is a result of you, the parent, making idle threats over his lifetime and not following through on them. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
We try to give our kids the majority of what they ask for, because no one deserves everything . They are expected to do certain things for us. They must maintain certain GPA as well as help with things around the house. No questions asked! If they fail to do what is asked of them they lose their privileges. I have made clear to my kids that I love them more than anything, but I am not here to be there friend and I have not come this far in life by being PLAYED by a child. I am here right now to raise responsible, respectful, respectable, honorable people. When they are done with college and go on their own, then we can be friends. We may never become friends, but I will have their respect. Some may say that is harsh, but in the end I will have accomplished my goals and will be okay with it. They will be better off for it.

Remember and remind them that it is your phone, wifi, cable, car, insurance, tuition, activities, etc... as long as you are paying for them. They are privileges not rights. If you don't receive what you are asking for remove what they want most until they comply. If they don't comply , then let them find their own way. They will quickly find out that having the common courtesy of responding to you when you ask them something is much easier to do than having to find their own way in the world. Remind them that " You get nothing, for nothing in this life". The most important thing you can do is be consistent. If you are not and you give in all of the time, they will continue to play you.

Tough but fair love .... it works!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by yanks528

Unfortunately, or fortunately which ever way you look at it, I'm undoing the damage from his mom. I've had less than a year to work with him.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

FlySolo
reply to post by yanks528

Unfortunately, or fortunately which ever way you look at it, I'm undoing the damage from his mom. I've had less than a year to work with him.

Okay.. I was about to give an informative answer to this OP having 7 kids (youngest 11) but this info puts a new complexion on the perspective. Can you elaborate on this a bit more please.

Cheers,

bally
edit on 15-1-2014 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I informed my oldest son (no longer a teen), that if he didn't bother to take my calls, he would lose the phone. Amazingly, the calls all seemed to come through after that! He knew I was NOT kidding. A phone is a privilege, not a right, and kids have to understand that the primary reason they have them is for emergencies and parental contact, not for texting friends, wasting time on social networking sites, or, in the case of mine, reading fan fiction or gaming stuff. If he was out of the house, the phone had to be answered if we called.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
hmmmm......

I think the title of this thread needs some work.....

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bally001

Sure. Mom thought she knew everything and had/has a serious case of paranoia about well, everything. Had the baby without me being involved and eventually let him rot away on his own at 14 on the street while she played mom to another fella and her new 'good' kid.

He found out who I was and contacted me on Facebook. I pulled him out of the crap hole lifestyle and he moved 2000 km to live with me. Now he's shacked up with his gf and I'm teaching him a trade. I will say he's progressed with leaps and bounds and now she thinks we're best friends while I just swallow my tongue and hope she dies of old age and ulcers before me.

Yup, that's about it.

Oh, found out his new galaxy phone got smashed 'somehow' . It's the third phone in seven months.

edit on 15-1-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I wish you and him well. You've done the right thing. Sad story and I'm glad you're teaching him a trade and responsibility. I lost touch with 2 of mine. (separation with their mother) Moved interstate, changed names and all. We eventually made contact years later but regardless of feelings I rarely hear from them.

All I can say is over the years I've gotten over it and moved on. Now have a new family and responsibilities and quite happy. However I do insist when the go away at times they need to keep in touch. And they do.

I guess when they learn to cease relying on me and their mother (partner) that will all change.

Take care and cheers for that response.

Bally.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

I was stationed in the UK many years ago. Growing up there, it was like coming home. For weeks I neglected to call my parents was too busy with friends.

One day, I received a call from my CO. Apparently my mother had called the Red Cross and asked why she wasn't notified that her son had died.
When the Red Cross stated that I was still alive, my mother replied, "If he was still alive, he'd have called his mother!"

I never neglected to call her again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join