It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA phone data has 'no discernible impact' on terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The nonprofit New America Foundation, based in Washington, analyzed cases involving 225 people recruited by al-Qaeda or other terrorist groups and charged in the U.S. since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The majority of cases started with traditional techniques, such as use of “informants, tips from local communities, and targeted intelligence operations,” according to a report today from the group, which has been critical of the NSA spy programs.

NSA phone data has 'no discernible impact' on terrorism

I am tempted to just write "ha ha ha ha ha ha" enough times to fill the text requirements for comment, but it might be seen as a bit reprehensible.

In line with "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" I think there should be one that "extraordinary powers should provide extraordinary results" - not miniscule ones!

Perhaps if they had shown some results there might be useful discussion about these powers..........but not any more!!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think one line of faulty reasoning that is never properly addressed when it comes to the various NSA fiascos, is that such mass data collection is partly a result of political correctness. Just like the whole over-the-top airport security situation. Because it's deemed politically incorrect to focus primarily on the group who shall not be named when it comes to these things, the NSA instead tries to focus on everybody -- and fails spectacularly because the whole prospect is completely ridiculous and a result of willfully denying reality.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That's because this nsa program was never about catching terrorists. They know where all the terrorist are anyway because they are on the payroll. The reason they went to such lengths to do this is so they can more easily pick out spies and space aliens moving amongst us.
or at least thats what the terrorist spy aliens told me

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Of course there's no discernible results against terrorists. Terrorists are just a scary justification, they aren't the real targets. We are the targets of the NSA. That's why they're finding crimes and then giving tips to law enforcement.

It's a program to protect existing power structures by locking up reformers and criminals, not to stop terrorists.

Saucerking
I think one line of faulty reasoning that is never properly addressed when it comes to the various NSA fiascos, is that such mass data collection is partly a result of political correctness. Just like the whole over-the-top airport security situation. Because it's deemed politically incorrect to focus primarily on the group who shall not be named when it comes to these things, the NSA instead tries to focus on everybody -- and fails spectacularly because the whole prospect is completely ridiculous and a result of willfully denying reality.

The entire concept of the TSApre program proves that the TSA checks are ridiculous. If there were a real threat they would also check busses and from what I've been told of the security, trains. The Greyhound bus system has looser security than our airports pre 9/11. There's not even a concept of bag screening.
edit on 13-1-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's failing because that is not its aim.

They say the spying is not economic, yet if it is having such dire results stopping terrorism, then what is left??

If stopping major crime isn't the reason (and I'm sure they would stop it if they knew about it), then exploitation of the system for other nefarious purposes is the only thing left. I highly doubt it is used to improve garbage collection at a state level by monitoring the little old lady complaining to her neighbor by telephone about how bad the street is.
edit on 15-1-2014 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

Nothing there says that terrorism isn't the intended target.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The NSA was not looking for just Terrorists.

They were using it to look for spies and other people with bad intentions. like north korea. china. the drug cartels. ect ect

They just used the story of looking for Terrorists to throw off the other people, groups, and countries they were looking at.

new topics

top topics

join