It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police berates man in T-Shirt in -30c weather.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"-30 degrés dehors à Montréal: la SPVM prouve son inhumanité en menaçant un itinérant!!!"

This is from Montreal, so they are speaking Quebecois french. Supposedly the story is that the man in the T-Shirt received a few complaints about him aggressively trying to seek shelter in cold weather. The YT video says -30, which I presume is in centigrade.

This isn't really a cop bashing thread, I am just curious why the police don't have blankets or something they can give people when the weather is cold like this. Nor why there isn't a shelter around. Heck, could have just arrested him and given him a warm bunk for the day.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I am sure the public officer has lost his or her job by now, so at least he or she is gone now.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This kind of behavior is pretty common in U.S...I have never been to Canada but I know certain groups sometimes get treated unfairly(i.e. Serbians, what not, according to my friend who is Serbian and from there).

It's like anyplace else.

To answer your question, many police officers do not serve and protect everyone. They serve and protect the people that "matter". If someone hadn't been filming this, the man in tshirt would not have "mattered" to anyone. If he froze then at least he wasn't a nuisance anymore.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

"To protect and serve"
I guess the thought of taking the guy somewhere he can stay where he won't freeze to death wasn't as important as exercising his authority and yelling at him for trying not to die.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

We cant just arrest someone in the manner you are suggesting.

Most agencies ive dealt with have contact numbers for shelters, however there is not much we can do if the shelter is full or has criteria the individual does not meet. As for blankets I can say I have never worked for an agency that had them for the purpose of helping out people in the manner above.

I have transported people to shelters, in addition to taking them to the hospital, which does a pretty good job of turning a blind eye to people who are in the lobby / waiting room but don't seem to be checked in to be seen.

Ive used my own funds to try and help but that only goes so far considering the number of homeless / down on their luck / crappy situations.

@ others in this thread.
Before people just stereotype all police maybe they should take the time to actually understand the can do's and can not's before making blanket and extremely ignorant comments. Absent a crime being committed that allows for the arrestee to be booked into jail, or a mental condition where the person presents a danger to himself or others, we cant force them to go anywhere.

I love it when people bitch about the police forcing something only to bitch when the police don't force something.
edit on 5-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The only beef I have with this clip is that if you are going to "berate" him (if that's what's happening, don't speak French or any variation of) the least you can do is berate him in the back of the cop car for 5-10min and let him thaw out. Not because its whats expected of a police offer but what is expected of a human being. Show a little compassion, but of course i don't know the context, for all I know he could have rescued a homeless man just last week.

Brother man looks crazy cold though. Having been a street rat myself I can relate to his situation and its because having that kind of experience is a constant reminder to me what they must be going through. I remember several years ago just out of high school I had nowhere to go in the middle of a blizzard. After spending as long as I could in a family diner, my friend and I broke into his grandmothers garage to keep warm. Thank god those days are over.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

This isn't really a cop bashing thread, I am just curious why the police don't have blankets or something they can give people when the weather is cold like this. Nor why there isn't a shelter around. Heck, could have just arrested him and given him a warm bunk for the day.
xt
reply to post by boncho

Or they could have had him sit in the back of the cruiser until he warmed up and maybe drive him to the local city mission. I know it's not a cops job to do, but jeesh, have some heart!

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If I was that cop- and this is only me- I would have given that man my jacket.

or at least the beanie.

I mean damn- cop or not- -30 below- help the damn guy out somehow.

This is why cops are not rerspected throughout society. People are freezing to death- and all this cop does is sit there giving the guy crap? All the while keeping his hands in his nice warm coat pockets.

Not very humane at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Common Good
If I was that cop- and this is only me- I would have given that man my jacket.

or at least the beanie.

I mean damn- cop or not- -30 below- help the damn guy out somehow.

This is why cops are not rerspected throughout society.

there are some very good people in society.

The problem, imho, is that the police need to have a MUCH more aggressive Psych eval process for hiring. Sure, the upfront cost is $$$, but when you consider the settlements and firings of the truly nasty police.

This officer has a car with a heater. And when someone is in peril, HYPOTHERMIA is an emergency. Life/Death situation. Doesn't take a genius to consider that.

When you are supported by taxpayer funds, there needs to be a sense of duty to aid ALL/ANY citizen in distress. Freezing to death is clearly in that spectrum.

If this cop was lost on correct actions, perhaps the duty Sgt could offer guidance.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

sadly police no longer protect and serve...they simply punish and enslave

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I remember a thread here about a screening for low IQ for police officers, with the premise that high IQ foments distraction and questioning of orders. I think it was in regards to a city in the US...

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Panic2k11

I remember a thread here about a screening for low IQ for police officers, with the premise that high IQ foments distraction and questioning of orders. I think it was in regards to a city in the US...

right.. High IQ leads to making decision based on thoughts instead of "following orders". And the capacity to have complex reasoning skills and intellect.

I can see that this would lead to a vastly different society. examples:

" the D.A. snorts coke, how could I with integrity, ever arrest someone for that?"

" the judge's grandson got busted and a few phone calls between buddies made the charges go away. I will never bust someone for doing the same thing"

" I need to speed and catch the guy speeding".. because speeding in itself is dangerous, soooo, let me do it so I can stop someone else from doing it.

" there wasn't another car within a mile of the stop sign, this guy spent as much time creeping up to the stop sign, as someone that completely stopped. No ticket for a rolling stop"

"those traffic cameras sure are corruption incarnate. it is 2:30 am, I am gonna break it while no one is looking. No FOREIGN company should profit off of someone going 45mph in a 35 zone. Only a @#$@! would go along with that"

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Seriously, that would have been a 5 second video clip if the officer had just handed him a blanket. Indifference is a waste of time for both parties.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

@ others in this thread.
Before people just stereotype all police maybe they should take the time to actually understand the can do's and can not's before making blanket and extremely ignorant comments. Absent a crime being committed that allows for the arrestee to be booked into jail, or a mental condition where the person presents a danger to himself or others, we cant force them to go anywhere.

I love it when people bitch about the police forcing something only to bitch when the police don't force something.

Seems like, if anything, this is a policy problem. In emergency situations or extreme weather conditions police should have protocols in place for helping people. And I really see how bureaucracy could complicate this.

This is the kind of thing, if the video had captured police giving them a blanket, the thread title would have been "police are human too!"

The video also doesn't show before they started talking, as well what he was doing to get calls in on him 4 times, so I see that point as well.

If police protocols are changed, perception of them will change as well. I was joking about locking him up btw.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Here in Milwaukee the cops are driving around looking to help get the homeless into shelters for the extreme cold we are seeing.

This scum bag should not be a cop. Karma is cruel but I bet this cop is to stupid to even understand that. Most police are good people just like anything else. The problem is they are not trying to keep the peace anymore they are being pushed to make money for the departments.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Yea- I couldnt agree anymore.

Like a poster already stated- there is a serious policy problem.

It seems like all cops want to do these days is hurt or lock up people.

Like someone said- if the cop put a blanket around this guy- or put him in the back of the car to warm him up-
the title of this thread would be way different.

Its not very often we see good things comming from the police department when it comes to actually helping people.

Last one I can remember- was when that cop showed those teenage kids how to skateboard. That was cool, but doesnt often happen enough.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

ManOfHart
I am sure the public officer has lost his or her job by now, so at least he or she is gone now.

I'm not sure if this was sarcasm??

He will not get fired, and I could bet my house on that. Not even sure he'll get a suspension.

Actually, montreal cops are known to be very tough and not bad at all at solving crimes.

During the intense cold they were seen taking care of the homeless people, if I'm not mistaking in the same day this incident happened. They were distributing blankets and trying to convince them to seek shelter, which there is a lot in Montreal ....

Cops , some good , some bad ... Like in everything.
edit on 5-1-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
With 52 seconds of video and no context, I'd be wrong to even try to have an opinion. That fellow is certainly cold and his life is most certainly in danger. At that temperature (if it is -30 which is -25 Fahrenheit I think) any more than ten minutes is risky business.

My problem with these video's is that it could well be they are trying to convince him to go inside or took him to heat right after the camera shut off.

top topics

join