It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs of the Future: Will these aircraft be mistaken for "Alien Ships" in the years to come?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Think about the future….

It's 2014. Happy New Year! We're firmly in the 21st century now. Centuries are seldom remembered for their first decade but we're almost halfway through it's second.

Congrats! You made it!

In my family, New Years Day was a time of reflection on the year that passed and looking ahead to the years to come.

So perhaps it makes sense to do this with the UFO subject?

What forms will the UFO topic take say in 2015? 2020? 2025? What types of objects might be reported?

I was thinking about this the other day after reading through some ATS threads on J. Allen Hynek, NICAP, etc. So I went through older work by Dr. J. Allen Hynek about the consistency of the UFO phenomena with regards to misidentification of aircraft.

The percentage of UFOs which are misidentified aircraft has stayed consistent whether we're talking 1947 or 1997.

It also doesn't seem to matter who does the scientific studies either. Don't trust Project Blue Book's Special Report 14 which found that ~40% of UFOs were misidentified aircraft? Well there is also France's GEPAN/SERPA which examined 6,000 eyewitness reports and found that ~37% were misidentified aircraft. Other such studies in Russia, Mexico and Brazil have found similar percentages with regards to misidentified aircraft being reported as UFOs. As did NICAPs report. MUFON has published a similar percentage.

This coupled with the research that some UFO "waves" may have been caused by the testing or operation of secret or lesser known aircraft lead me to wondering if there were any things in development now that while not exactly "black projects" are little known to the general public.

The following videos feature things which are good candidates for future UFO sightings by people who aren't familiar with them. Most feature the resurgence of the rigid airship, others feature VTOL craft for personal transport. I purposely left out drones as we've discussed these a lot already.

Most of these are fairly large craft. The smallest is capable of at least being a one person craft but most would carry multiple passengers and/or cargo.

Some of these have already flown, others are nearing completion while others are still being developed or fabricated.

So we all might want to keep an eye out for reports of stuff which looks like what you see in the videos below in the year and years ahead. Some of these shapes look out of this world!

I would not blame anyone if they saw one of these flying at a distance and thought at least in passing if it might be from somewhere else in the galaxy. At least until they are common in our skies.

USA

J.P Aerospace - Ascender 175

Lockheed Martin P-791

Aeroscraft Dragon Dreams

Aeroscraft Aether

Seymourpowell Aircruiser

Moller M-200

Moller M-400

Terrafugia TF-X

Terrafugia Transition

NASA Shapeshifter

RUSSIA

Russia's Termoplan

Russia's Locomoskyner

GERMANY

Sanswire TAO STS-111

E-Volo

VC-200

AUSTRALIA

Australia's Skylifter

FRANCE

Massaud Cloudship Hotel

References:
A history of UAP research at CNES - From Gepan to Geipan

edit on 1-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
piloted by aliens ?

maybe , depends on this planets migration laws will be like ; D

funBox

edit , happy new year btw , hope its a fun one
edit on 1-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves reminded me again of the importance of manners *in a slight motion funBox pulls out a whisker*

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
You know it's damn weird when future aircraft designs seem very similar to UFO reports dating back over 50 years.

And I still don't see how the craft in this thread can perform the types of manouvers described by witnesses involved in above mentioned incidents.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Oh well, very interesting topic!

Reality is much more stranger than fiction.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Dragon Dream looks 50 years out of date.
Remember this from the 1960's :-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I would not blame anyone if they saw one of these flying at a distance and thought at least in passing if it might be from somewhere else in the galaxy.

Like the B-2 and reports of moving triangles crossing over states.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The real question is where did the design for these crafts come from? It is hard to fathom a real UFO unless you have seen one in person. I have seen one and only one in my life so far, but it was truly incredible and life changing.

I believe these designs have come from UFO sightings.

Also, this is a good thread I just had to throw my 2 cents in.

edit on 1-1-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: Good thread

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Great Thread! I had no clue!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

solongandgoodnight
The real question is where did the design for these crafts come from? It is hard to fathom a real UFO unless you have seen one in person. I have seen one and only one in my life so far, but it was truly incredible and life changing.

I believe these designs have come from UFO sightings.

Also, this is a good thread I just had to throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks.

As far as I know only one of these had any direct link to UFO sightings. I remember an interview with Paul Moller on Coast to Coast AM back when Art Bell was the host and Art mentioned the M-200 looking a lot like a flying saucer and Moller joked saying he was inspired by the reports of people who reported saucers, but he also compared it to the Jetsons so.....

He also mentioned that near the test facility they know of at least a couple of people who reported their tests as UFOs so this has already happened at least once.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Zcustosmorum
You know it's damn weird when future aircraft designs seem very similar to UFO reports dating back over 50 years.

And I still don't see how the craft in this thread can perform the types of manouvers described by witnesses involved in above mentioned incidents.

Hover silently? Check.

Move at speeds slower than a conventional airplane? Check.

Larger than any jet plane? Check.

As big as a football field in some cases? Check.

Emitting a low hum when at close range? Check.

Granted these craft aren't going to be doing 90 degree turns and whatnot on a dime but how many UFO reports as of late describe that?

Instead we get reports of huge slow moving triangular craft (a possible Boeing Stealth Cargo transporter being developed), stuff like the Phoenix Lights (which moved slowly and quietly) and Stephenville which described and object which "looked like a flying Walmart" moving slowly and almost silently but for a low hum over the area.

Stephenville, TX UFO illustration:

A similar sighting of an object which if you look closely you can just about make out the tail or propulsion unit on the right:

It is plausible that at least some of the slow moving large objects people have been seeing since the 90s are rigid airships. The large flying triangles and flying V have been rumored to be a DARPA project for a huge stealthy troop/cargo carrier.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

JadeStar

Zcustosmorum

Hover silently? Check.

Move at speeds slower than a conventional airplane? Check.

Larger than any jet plane? Check.

As big as a football field in some cases? Check.

Emitting a low hum when at close range? Check.

Granted these craft aren't going to be doing 90 degree turns and whatnot on a dime but how many UFO reports as of late describe that?

Instead we get reports of huge slow moving triangular craft (a possible Boeing Stealth Cargo transporter being developed), stuff like the Phoenix Lights (which moved slowly and quietly) and Stephenville which described and object which "looked like a flying Walmart" moving slowly and almost silently but for a low hum over the area.

Stephenville, TX UFO illustration:

A similar sighting of an object which if you look closely you can just about make out the tail or propulsion unit on the right:

It is plausible that at least some of the slow moving large objects people have been seeing since the 90s are rigid airships. The large flying triangles and flying V have been rumored to be a DARPA project for a huge stealthy troop/cargo carrier.

Most of the recent work seems focused on aerostats as tethered radar and electro-optical sensor platforms. I actually saw one (I think anyway!) while I was in Yuma for Christmas. I can definitely see them misidentified as UFOs.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
NASA's Puffin

I specifically left out spacecraft but since these Lightcraft would be launched from the ground and look NOTHING like a conventional rocket.....

I think they will be misidentified as UFOs frequently until people are more familiar with them.

Perhaps they already have?

The following picture was taken in Brazil:

Spinning Top UFO Over Brazil?

An amateur photographer caught a remarkable UFO while testing his new camera in the skies above Brazil.

If you look closely at that photo you can just about make out the beam.

Compare to this video of a prototype lightcraft being tested in 1999 by Leik Myrabo in cooperation with the US Army at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.

The plan is to have these things deliver payloads and perhaps even people into low earth orbit by 2025-2030 or so.

It stands to reason some progress has been made in the 15 years since that video was shot.

This video was shot in Utah (at the location on the red dot on the map) not far from Dugway Proving Ground in 2012:

What is it? Man captures video of spinning blue UFO 'cruising slow' over Utah

Seeing is believing?

Not really. Seeing is seeing. Believing is something separate. If one sees something they can not readily identify that does not mean they should automatically believe that it was manufactured by aliens.

Humans have proven to be an incredibly clever species and the best stuff has yet to come.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

1ofthe9
Most of the recent work seems focused on aerostats as tethered radar and electro-optical sensor platforms. I actually saw one (I think anyway!) while I was in Yuma for Christmas. I can definitely see them misidentified as UFOs.

They do look weird don't they?

Imagine when these huge cargo ships or air cruisers start frequenting the skies flying over areas far from where they are launched and seen lit up at night by people not familiar with them.

I expect there to be another big UFO "flap" around 2018-2023 or so when a lot of these things may be in service.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

JadeStar

1ofthe9

They do look weird don't they?

Imagine when these huge cargo ships or air cruisers start frequenting the skies flying over areas far from where they are launched and seen lit up at night by people not familiar with them.

I expect there to be another big UFO "flap" around 2018-2023 or so when a lot of these things may be in service.

Well the airship thing has had peaks of interest in it in the past. It never pans out in practice however. The biggest problem facing us is how to identify the genuinely weird stuff from the misidentifications.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

1ofthe9
Well the airship thing has had peaks of interest in it in the past. It never pans out in practice however.

There have been reasons for that. Same with the "Flying Car" or personal air transporter. It looks like a number of advances in terms of high strength, low weight materials, more efficient engines, computer/GPS navigation and probably most importantly, demand are what's driving a lot of this research now.

The biggest problem facing us is how to identify the genuinely weird stuff from the misidentifications.

Agreed. Without getting all Donald Rumsfeld on ya, there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns. The idea is to separate the known unknowns out into a separate category so true UAPs can be studied in better detail.

My hope with this thread is to point out some shapes/characteristics we should look at going forward so that UFO researchers not automatically jump to "Aliens!" when some unconventional aircraft is seen.

On one end of the scale there are the small drones which will be doing everything from monitoring traffic flow to delivering Amazon.com packages.

In the middle there are things like the Moller and Terrafugia "skycars"

And on the large side are things being developed for the military and industry so that large amounts of cargo can be moved in one go.

None of this stuff looks at all familiar to the average person and probably won't for quite a while so they will probably be reported as UFOs.

I really think MUFON and other interested organizations should be briefing their field people on developments in aerospace as well as advanced propulsion testing (like the Lightcraft) so that they have a wider knowledge of what human made stuff might be flying and perhaps trace it back to its origin as NIDS did with the large slow moving "Triangular UFOs" being reported along the US West Coast in the 1990s.

Then they will have a filter for such types of reports of "False positives" so that they can spend the little resources they have on the truly inexplicable.
edit on 2-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

JadeStar

1ofthe9
Well the airship thing has had peaks of interest in it in the past. It never pans out in practice however.

There have been reasons for that. Same with the "Flying Car" or personal air transporter. It looks like a number of advances in terms of high strength, low weight materials, more efficient engines, computer/GPS navigation and probably most importantly, demand are what's driving a lot of this research now.

The biggest problem facing us is how to identify the genuinely weird stuff from the misidentifications.

Agreed. Without getting all Donald Rumsfeld on ya, there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns. The idea is to separate the known unknowns out into a separate category so true UAPs can be studied in better detail.

My hope with this thread is to point out some shapes/characteristics we should look at going forward so that UFO researchers not automatically jump to "Aliens!" when some unconventional aircraft is seen.

On one end of the scale there are the small drones which will be doing everything from monitoring traffic flow to delivering Amazon.com packages.

And on the large side are things being developed for the military and industry so that large amounts of cargo can be moved in one go.

None of this stuff looks at all familiar to the average person and probably won't for quite a while so they will probably be reported as UFOs.

I really think MUFON and other interested organizations should be briefing their field people on developments in aerospace as well as advanced propulsion testing (like the Lightcraft) so that they have a wider knowledge of what human made stuff might be flying and perhaps trace it back to its origin as NIDS did with the large slow moving "Triangular UFOs" being reported along the US West Coast in the 1990s.

Then they will have a filter for such types of reports of "False positives" so that they can spend the little resources they have on the truly inexplicable.

Agreed. We don't have to worry about Moller though, he's more or less vaporware. He was in Popular Science as a kid, promising flyable hardware a decade ago. :p

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

1ofthe9

JadeStar

1ofthe9

Agreed. We don't have to worry about Moller though, he's more or less vaporware. He was in Popular Science as a kid, promising flyable hardware a decade ago. :p

I thought I read somewhere the DOD gave him a contract for Rotapower engines and California's DOT gave him one for his Aerobot drone? That would take him out of the pure vaporwear area since he'd already have presumably filled some contracts with flyable hardware.

I also saw something about the success of Terrafugia possibly sending some investment his way since they have now successfully flown their Transition model at an airshow and the TF-X is in development.

All it takes is for one Skycar to take off (no pun I swear) and someone will probably be pouring more money into Moller.

It may turn out that Terrafugia and Moller become the Ford and GM of the skycar.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Star and flag for the research and thought going into this.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

No doubt they'll be confused with E.T. craft. It's happened before and will continue to happen. (Not saying each UFO is man made though.)

Also, the Aeroscraft Aether looks like it comes right out of "Mirror's Edge" the game. Awesome stuff and I call dibs on it when the Zombie Apocalypse comes! Thanks for posting, love blimps!

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Ectoplasm8

Star and flag for the research and thought going into this.

Thanks. I hope to keep this thread going. If anyone else runs across anything in development which may be mistaken as "alien" feel free to post it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join