It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cosmological Constant Blows My Mind. (video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hello ATS and happy New Years to all. I am MR MASK and I have returned once again to share a video I have recently made. This one is all about the value given to the energy density of the vacuum of space. And it is also one of the most mind blowing properties of our Universe as a whole.

The video is in the form of a free form talk placed over video game footage (yes, all my vids are commentary over video games). The video is about 5 mins long and details many interesting facts and theories about the cosmological constant.

For those unaware of what makes the Cosmological Constant so odd and worthy of blowing-minds, it has to do with the incredibly small value that it takes. 10^120. That is one point to the 10 to the 120, or a point followed by 120+ zeros following. Nothing observed in our reality is even close to such an impossibly precise number and some say this proves everything from a God to an endless Multiverse.

I remain on no one side of any fence. But I do present to you "The Cosmological Constant Blows my Mind".

HUGS TO ALL!

MM
edit on 31-12-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Thanks for that ...Makes the new years possibilities interesting but not too surprising .lol S&F

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Well, that's 23 for ya.

Thanks for the vid and welcome back.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Will watch when I have time. Please tell me the game audio doesn't interfere with your monologuing.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by Mr Mask

Thanks for that ...Makes the new years possibilities interesting but not too surprising .lol S&F

Ya, I wanted to do a vid that gave the new years a sense of possibility. I hope you have a wonderful new year bro and thanks for watching!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

BlueMule
reply to post by Mr Mask

Well, that's 23 for ya.

Thanks for the vid and welcome back.

Yes sir, #23 is done and in the can and just in time for the New Year. I hope you have a fun time celebrating the turn of the calendar year and stay safe in the process. But not too safe! Thanks for the welcome back. Just got new technology to make the vids HD and I can now post with no problems…heck I don't even have to wait 5 mins for a page to load! HAPPY NEW ONE!!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Will watch when I have time. Please tell me the game audio doesn't interfere with your monologuing.

I always make sure the game footage don't make too much noise (hardly any) and almost all my commentaries have zero to do with gaming. I am often told by people who watch these things that they don't even play vid games and still watch…so i think you are safe.

Sadly I can't promise my voice don't sound like a mutated muppet duck…that just can't be helped.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hope you dig the vid!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Dug the vid. Always like your content.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I've enjoyed your videos for a long time now. Interesting subject matter on top of gameplay.

Can't tell you how glad I am to see that Campkill can't be killed, after all it took to make it happen (dresses included).

edit on 31-12-2013 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I wish we could just throw out the phrase, "...the universe is expanding at an accelerated rate." Simple observation tells us that's not really what's happening.

And does the cosmological constant describe the universe, or does the universe define the cosmological constant? That is, if we lived in a different universe, say an older or a younger one, and our observations of what is going on were different, would not the cosmological constant also be different?

I for one believe that the cosmological constant and relativity theory, and our religious love and devotion to them are screwing us, blinding us, making us slaves to a world that is incorrectly described by mathematics and it's arbitrary nature.

If you like it then you better put a number on it... then you can't get rid of it.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, Einstein discarded the cosmological constant (or at least disavowed it) because it was simply a number he made up to fix calculations that didn't work out. It was a fudge factor with no meaning, meant to fill a gap in understanding.

During this video, I don't think there was any mention of a meaning for this constant... just the statement that it was important for some reason. Without that reason, I don't think we can say Einstein made a mistake here. What he was saying is that there is something wrong with this -- and it can be patched with this number. This isn't the solution, but I've gotten it as close as I can.

Until it has a meaning, it's not a solution... just a number that magically makes things work. Much like Dark Energy and Dark Matter. These are things that make the numbers work, but which we haven't and cannot observe right now. We'll get back to you on that.

Most likely, Dark Matter and Dark Energy are vast groups of forces and particles and interactions we have not yet even conceived of or measured, and not any one distinct thing.

I agree that the cosmological constant is interesting, but largely because we can't tell what it means yet. Maybe it's a number meant to represent "...and all that other stuff"

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

"cosmological constant" seems to imply a universally universal factor. All present and unchanging. Maybe that's why he said it was a fudge factor, because we haven't identified that value yet.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by Mr Mask

Dug the vid. Always like your content.

Thanks so much bro! I wanted to get one more science vid up for 2013. And this was the result. I appreciate the kind words and happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Hey Mr.Siff I caught this on your camperkillercommentary the other day and broke the like button for ya. I'd like to see you rap and kill campers to David Paliedes work on missing kids and bigfoot that would be rad he is kind of like dr. Jaques in regards to those phenomenon. And happy new years buddy, you going to wear your party dress tonight w00t w00t

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

Cosmological Constant refers to the expansion of space, and this expansion happens due to vacuum energy. Dark Energy is this vacuum energy. It's like anti-gravity that acts on a very large scale.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I believe in the multiverse theory and that we are anchored to this one by the union of matter and essense, and that when we dream we have escaped to roam the multiverse if be it just for a little while.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Do you got any literature on that or a link, that sounds like an interesting read.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Mr Mask
That is one point to the 10 to the 120, or a point followed by 120+ zeros following. Nothing observed in our reality is even close to such an impossibly precise number
Interesting video, but it's not that precise and your own evidence proves it. According to your own video, prior to 1998 we thought the cosmological constant was zero, and we thought we could exist just fine. So if it can be zero and it's no problem, it doesn't follow to me that some non-zero value is fine-tuned. Now we think it's slightly more than zero, and we still think the universe is just fine.

I thought you were going to talk about the vacuum catastrophe which is the discrepancy between naive theoretical approaches to calculating vacuum energy, compared to what is actually observed. That's a major unsolved problem in physics.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

Mr Mask
That is one point to the 10 to the 120, or a point followed by 120+ zeros following. Nothing observed in our reality is even close to such an impossibly precise number
Interesting video, but it's not that precise and your own evidence proves it. According to your own video, prior to 1998 we thought the cosmological constant was zero, and we thought we could exist just fine. So if it can be zero and it's no problem, it doesn't follow to me that some non-zero value is fine-tuned. Now we think it's slightly more than zero, and we still think the universe is just fine.

I thought you were going to talk about the vacuum catastrophe which is the discrepancy between naive theoretical approaches to calculating vacuum energy, compared to what is actually observed. That's a major unsolved problem in physics.

I ran into the same issue looking into abiogenesis and singularity theory its interesting you point that out here, his video is entertaining as hell though, and nice to see you around Arbitraguer!

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Interesting video, but it's not that precise and your own evidence proves it. According to your own video, prior to 1998 we thought the cosmological constant was zero, and we thought we could exist just fine. So if it can be zero and it's no problem, it doesn't follow to me that some non-zero value is fine-tuned.

Scientists only speculated that the cosmological constant was zero before they had hard proof that the universe was expanding. Before that most scientists liked to believe that the expansion was slowing down because that seemed like the most logical explanation. Once they were certain that the universe is expanding then they were forced to accept the existence of dark energy / the cosmological constant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join