It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Ruins Christmas For Many

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wow just 1000?

That can't be true. I think UPS' standard fail rate is like 5% or something like that. That would be way more than 1000 on an average day if you ship 100k packages plus.

Did you mean 10 thousand?

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It is starting to hit the major news and UPS is in full damage control at this time. Still wondering if their computer system got hacked, just enough to mess everything up. Then again, it could be just old fashioned greed which made them take on way more than they could handle.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
Here's partially why stuff shows up all messed up, if it gets there at all. I blame the management for overworking these dudes to the point of being complete and total jerks. Looks like this video is from Texas. They toss packages like they're throwing out garbage.

I have had too many bad dealings with UPS over the years. Once an aunt sent a set of expensive mugs, these things were wrapped to go to the moon. Every single one was broken. She bought the insurance, they wouldn't honor the insurance claiming she didn't properly wrap them.

Another time I ordered the first new bed I ever bought. It was a number bed so it showed up in four large boxes.

UPS left my $1500 bed sitting in the driveway in the rain.

I wouldn't trust them to ship a brick that is going down the street to be used as a door stop.

I have also known people who have worked UPS, and when they quit, they admitted to me that they don't care if a package is marked fragile or what, they toss it like everything else. All gets treated badly.
edit on 26-12-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Holy cow! How do you break a set of mugs that were wrapped super carefully? Most likely by piling much heavier boxes on top of it, and throwing it around like the gorilla in the luggage commercials long ago.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I have heard the 1000 number reported on the news today.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Must be a slow news week.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The only way UPS will honor the fake insurance on fragile items is, if you take it *unwrapped* to the UPS store and PAY to have them pack it for shipping. Been there done that.

Des

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
My impression is that something unbeknownst to us caused a massive backlog of packages. We at least know that the UPS drivers themselves are working like mad, so it's not them.
May I ask what your delivered food item was? It sounds like it must have been delicious. I'm picturing a package of Shari's Berries.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I remember that commercial!!

Actually, that commercial is what I thought of when I saw the box. The box was super smashed.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

EllaMarina
My impression is that something unbeknownst to us caused a massive backlog of packages. We at least know that the UPS drivers themselves are working like mad, so it's not them.
May I ask what your delivered food item was? It sounds like it must have been delicious. I'm picturing a package of Shari's Berries.

I kind of don't want to say the name because the person may read this thread. However, let's just say they've been in business since 1921, they have the best damned sweet edibles on the planet, and I've both shipped from them and received from them for years. Not Shari's Berries, but the most famous candy company on the west coast. Their candy is shipped refrigerated because heat destroys chocolate and ruins the flavor.

I'm pretty sure that the drivers are not responsible for this logistical nightmare. Something much bigger happened.....supposedly they are the largest shipping company in the US, so it could be potentially that a virus infected their computer system and messed things up. I don't know....and not sure if we'll ever get the real story, at least not for a while.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

bigfatfurrytexan

Must be a slow news week.

~Tenth

To me it seems like the media is in collusion with various/sundry corporations. It isn't at all unusual to see them hawking wares in a news segment.

The media I refer to above is The Today Show (background morning noise while I surf the web). Right afterwards, they had a piece on about ladies in South Africa selling Avon. It was meant to be 'feel good", but fell flat when they went into how they are required to make a poster of the "things they want to buy with their newfound earnings". It just came off looking like Avon was sponsoring the spread of consumerism into an untapped market.

Apple is usually the media benefactor.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

The TV news was reporting ONE THOUSAND. And like I said, I have no idea if that is an accurate number. But it's what was on the TV yesterday and today. One thousand.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I Know EXACTLY who you speak of
I am sure THEY are not responsible for it getting lost!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
Well, you can go on the religious forums and post all you want about Jesus's birthday, materialism in today's world, perspective, etc. That's not what this thread is about.

Actually, it IS what the thread is about. The title of the thread is that UPS RUINED CHRISTMAS. See that? CHRISTMAS. That's the celebration of the birth of Jesus. And for people to have it 'ruined' because they got a package on December 26th instead of December 24th means that they haven't got a clue what Christmas is all about. So yes, it IS part of the thread discussion.

spare us the bible thumping. What would Jesus do? Certainly not what you're doing, Flyers.

1 - I'm not bible thumping. And if you had ever seem what I post here, you'd know how absurd that comment of yours is. I tend to do the exact opposite of 'thump the bible'.

2 - What would Jesus do? He'd probably say exactly what I said. That being 'WHO CARES' if a package arrives a day after Christmas ... take a look around the world at all the starving people and those who died that day in bombings .. and instead of whining about a late gift, be grateful that you are getting anything at all. That is probably what Jesus would say .

It was a surprise major surge in orders coupled with bad weather that caused a thousand packages or so to be a day or two late. (that's the number being reported on the TV News) It happens. The company has offered to reimburse people for the unexpected delivery delay. Anyone who had their Christmas 'ruined' over that is a twit.

Quit your whining folks ... count your blessings.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I also believe that they are not responsible for this. Like I said, it's a world-class company. Big debates on news shows about this now......UPS blames the customer and tells us that we're whining about "first world problems" and to suck it up, it was our fault for ordering the day before Christmas (I about had a stroke when the guy said that, what nonsense!), and another guy say, "No matter what, if a company makes a promise and takes your money, then they need to do what they promised".

UPS is claiming that this is affecting very few people. Pfffttt! Social media and twitter is exploding with people being angry. Way to blame the customer and diminish the problem, UPS.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

FlyersFan

tothetenthpower

The TV news was reporting ONE THOUSAND. And like I said, I have no idea if that is an accurate number. But it's what was on the TV yesterday and today. One thousand.

Logic only tells me, if it were only 1,000 as claimed. Corporations such as Amazon would NOT be scrambling to buy back customer trust with major news press releases of refund of total shipping with a $20.00 credit towards shopping. It had to be large numbers for this kind of damage control.

Apologies, Promises From UPS And FedEx About Delivery Delays

by
December 26, 2013 7:45 AM

According to CBS, FedEx and UPS are "calling in extra drivers and even renting U-Haul trucks to hit the road Thursday to deliver packages. ...

Amazon.com, which had promised its Prime customers that packages would arrive on time even orders were placed as late as Sunday, is refunding shipping charges and giving $20 credits toward future purchases, the AP says.
www.npr.org...

Flyers...I know you are better than standing behind the 1,000 damage control number released by UPS. In the article it's quoted UPS as stating they've even rented a bunch of U-Haul trucks to help facilitate deliveries today.. Gimme a break...really UPS renting U-Haul trucks? To me, that says they have a boat load of packages to deliver.

Des

edit on 26-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I thought it must have been yummy chocky.
*Googles "1921 confectionary company" then raises eyebrow up at the ATS envelope icon*
Ah crap, I seem to have asked via the wrong channels.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

*YAWN*

It's too late for me to change the word "Christmas" to "holiday celebrations", otherwise I would, so that thread derailers such as yourself would stop stating it's all about Jesus' birthday.

It's about a company who failed to keep promises they charged people good money for. So HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS were ruined, yes.

Feel better now? I'd take the whole Christ-mas thing out if I could, since not everybody believes.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Destinyone
Flyers...I know you are better than standing behind the 1,000 damage control number released by UPS.

I"m not 'standing behind it'. I"m reporting here what is being reported on the TV news.
Multiple stations. I have said a few times, I don't know if it's accurate or not.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

IIRC Jesus had a pretty nasty attitude against the corporate type mentality. ◄ Matthew 21:12 ►

And I don't think he had a clue his birthday would become a national holiday. So we haven't a clue what he would do.

Now, back to the topic of the thread. I think because of social media, and people instantly being able to voice their anger over being *ripped off*. Companies like UPS have to keep issuing new press releases as the new data comes in.

Them blaming the customers...will back fire on them big time.

Des

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join