It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage legalized in New Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
News to me, I just found out gay marriage was legalized yesterday in New Mexico, making it the 17th U.S. state to allow same-sex couple to marry. It's hardly news anymore, but as more U.S. states go rainbow (rather than red or blue) the harder it is to deny the entire country the legal acceptance of gay marriage. If someone marries in New Mexico, then moves to Texas, it would seem that soon they will be accepted as married even if states don't perform such marriages themselves.

Huffington Post article:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

From the ruling:

Prohibiting same-gender marriages is not substantially related to the governmental interests advanced by the parties opposing same-gender marriage or to the purposes we have identified. Therefore, barring individuals from marrying and depriving them of the rights, protections, and responsibilities of civil marriage solely because of their sexual orientation violates the Equal Protection Clause under Article II, Section 18 of the New Mexico Constitution. We hold that the State of New Mexico is constitutionally required to allow same-gender couples to marry and must extend to them the rights, protections, and responsibilities that derive from civil marriage under New Mexico law.

edit on 20-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
what strikes me as odd is all the world seems to be accepting this at the same time it is like a agenda or something is going on .

i have nothing against anybody that swings that way but what next ?? is going to get pushed on the people marrying animals or having sex with children because 5% or less are like that just watch my 2 pennies

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Neither animals nor children are consenting legal adults.

I am so, so very tired of that argument. It's foolish nonsense from immature people who don't understand legal contracts on even a fundamental level.

Either way to the OP:

I thought New Mexico didn't have any laws for or against gay marriage? Was there some issue with the ambiguity that led to this ruling? Either way it's good news.

I am probably going to move once I am able to get to work and pay tuition to finish degree. I haven't looked into New Mexico but I probably will now as it would be nice to live in a place where me and my girl can have the benefits of these types of contracts. I don't care for the eastern states so it's nice to see another state near mine pass this.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wonderful. It seems more states are finally taking the step and legalizing gay marriage -- don't think it's because they care about our happiness -- they just see it as purely economical.

On a more positive note, I'm glad New Mexico has followed through- let's just hope the other states will shortly follow after.

~Sovereign

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think the majority of Americans would support gay marriage if they called it something else. (ie:civil unions) I also feel if you are going legalize it polygamy should be made legal as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Polygamy would require a different type of contract.

I have thought about how it might be set up if it were legalized through a contract. Maybe you could have it set up like an LLC where there is a percentage of ownership of assets etc. You could maybe designate head of household then have second in command, then third etc. It would get really complicated really fast but again if someone came up with a no nonsense contract for these types of families then there shouldn't be a reason why not. Again though that would be pretty complicated from a legal standpoint though and that's where there would be hiccups in getting it passed.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Yes, Gay marriage is going to lead into bestiality and pedophilia marriages... i mean it only makes sense

Heterosexual Marriage - Two Consenting Adults

Homosexual Marriage - Two Consenting Adults

Bestiality - An Adult and a consenting animal?

Pedophilia Marriage - an Adult and a consenting Child?

makes sense!

Condragulations to New Mexico, applause applause for recognizing Love is Love and equality!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

geobro
what strikes me as odd is all the world seems to be accepting this at the same time it is like a agenda or something is going on .

i have nothing against anybody that swings that way but what next ?? is going to get pushed on the people marrying animals or having sex with children because 5% or less are like that just watch my 2 pennies

I don't think it's an agenda as much as a electronically hooked-up world, so now unfairness in denying something to someone on account of difference is dwindling. Still has a way to go, and animal rights and environmental topics look to be next up once the mind-shift of the human race moves to fairness in accepting that the animals, forests, and oceans are as alive as we are, and are usually minding their own business - the exact preference now being accorded humans.

With more data flow and information, not to mention tv characters, gay is front and center these days, and maybe it's about time to let them flaunt it a little - man, we've messed them over as a civilization and they probably have a right to be proud now as a statement for the collective memory of gay people finding suppression and usually having to hide who they were for thousands of years. The everywhere-at-once gay celebration seems justified.

I think what's next on the sexual front is allowing a man or a woman to marry several people. Like in the TV series "Big Love". That seems the next most arguable one, because as almost all men know, they can love several women at a time. And that's the natural mix anyway, among primates. But that may be a long one, or it may go quick, who knows.

No, sex with animals isn't one I can see becoming legal, although lesser penalties may evolve. Only reason is there is no way to know if the animal has an interest or not, or is actually consenting and not acting out of fear. And of course sex with children will not become legal, likely never in civilized society, at least what I can see.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
"Gay marriage" will never be allowed in the Catholic Church, which instituted marriage, or holy matrimony as a sacrament around the 5th century AD. Catholics believe that through the sacrament, God joins a man and a woman into one flesh.
As the Church puts it: Marriage in the Catholic Church, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring. It has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized. Matrimony, from the Latin mater ("mother") and monium ("status") is the creation of the status of mother. In the Catholic Church, it is ordinarily celebrated in a Nuptial Mass.
www.vatican.va...
To claim that two people of the same gender can be married is to violate the Catholic definition of the word marriage and an attempt to change that definition. Catholics certainly don't believe that a gay couple loves each other less because they haven't had the sacrament of holy matrimony, and Catholics are certainly called to love them and treat them equally as any Christian is called to do with any person, regardless of that person's state of sin or sexual preference. Catholics do not even believe that being homosexual is a sin (see Catechism of the Catholic Church 2357-2359), but rather that the act of sharing yourself physically with someone of the same gender is a sin. Sex is meant to be between a man and a woman, and Catholics believe that to say otherwise is a violation of the natural order of creation. I don't love my brother less because I can't marry him, and Jesus did not have to marry anyone or share himself physically with anyone to share what Christians believe to be the purest form of love ever shared by a human.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pauladaballa777

What? No, this is about legal marriage, not marrying in a religious ceremony. Gay people can marry before judges, and boat captains, because that's a governmental body, not a private institution which performs marriages within that institution.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

believe it or not one of the twats in the uk parliment is pushing for the age to be lowered to 12 and that was a woman and that is not the worst case i have heard about in europe lately i think the group was called pie ?? and it was sponsored by the goverment .

as i said i do not give a dam what 2 adults get up to behind closed doors but you do not have to be a genius to see where this is going to lead in the future

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SovereignEve

Well, to be very honest I see the issue of gay marriage as COMPLETELY economical from the side of those who want to get married. Let's be straight here, gay people can have an unrecognized legal "commitment" ceremony that means as much to them as a legal marriage would. They want to get LEGALLY married so that they can get on their partner's insurance and get all of the legal benefits (community property in case of death for example) as hetero couples.

There is nothing wrong with that and I support gay marriage, but let's all be honest

*** - **** Gays want to get married for legal status

then let's get it done and move on...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Aleister

What? No, this is about legal marriage, not marrying in a religious ceremony. Gay people can marry before judges, and boat captains, because that's a governmental body, not a private institution which performs marriages within that institution.

I know what the thread is about. As stated in the first sentence of my post, I was explaining the Catholic view of marriage (the use of the word marriage the key thing to understand), which is often attacked by the secular media and "progressives" in modern western society. For the record, Catholics have no problem granting gay couples all the legal and financial benefits afforded to a married couple, as long as the term civil union is used instead of marriage.
edit on 20-12-2013 by ghostfacekilah00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

ghostfacekilah00

Aleister

I know what the thread is about. As stated in the first sentence of my post, I was explaining the Catholic view of marriage (the use of the word marriage the key thing to understand), which is often attacked by the secular media and "progressives" in modern western society. For the record, Catholics have no problem granting gay couples all the legal and financial benefits afforded to a married couple, as long as the term civil union is used instead of marriage.

I personally don't think a group that institutionally covers up criminal pedophilia has any right to instruct anyone about marriage or sexuality.

www.truth-out.org...
www.reuters.com...

edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

geobro

Are you planning on marrying animals and having sex with them?

I mean you have the freedom to have sex with any woman you want. Whats next. Having sex with animals or children?

Bloody hell the ignorance is pathetic...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

why not read my post again as i said it is someone in the goverment that was pushing it

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

olaru12

ghostfacekilah00

Aleister

I personally don't think a group that institutionally covers up criminal pedophilia has any right to instruct anyone about marriage or sexuality.

www.truth-out.org...
www.reuters.com...

edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

OMG! I had never heard about this! See, I haven't read a newspaper, watched the news, watched tv, or talked to a non-Catholic in 15 years! This is the first I'm hearing about this! You just turned my universe upside down! I will now renounce belief in a diety of any kind and deem all doctrines of the Catholic Church wrong and evil. (End sarcasm)

www.catholicworldreport.com...
www.freerepublic.com...

I could provide countless more links. True, the Catholic Church claims a higher moral authority than others, but the sexual abuse within the Church is not exceptional statistically, and the accusations of cover-up by anyone other than the perpetrator are almost all untrue and have almost never been proven in a court of law. There are many people with an agenda against the Catholic Church and its beliefs. To deny this is ignorant. Whether it be liberals whose opinions on abortion, contraception, etc. conflict with Catholicism, people who think all religions are inherently evil and incompatible with science and reason, or just sinners who don't like being told that something they're doing is a sin, people take satisfaction in defaming the Church and what it stands for.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

geobro

Wait. Are you Phil Robertson?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

ghostfacekilah00

Aleister

Catholics don't own the word "marriage" anymore than they own the idea. Marriage isn't some sort of "Catholic Word." As a matter of fact, it's a derivative of the Latin word maritus--a word that predates not only Catholicism, but Christianity as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
New Mexico being the 17th U.S. state to have legal gay marriage, this means that over 1/3rd of the states allow it now. I'd think that brings it close to the tipping point of when the courts will have to legalize it nationwide (which, I think almost everybody realizes now, will happen, it's just a matter of when).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join