It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

bbracken677

No intolerance here...and yet some of us cannot accept the fact that he expressed an opinion and claim to be "offended" and "victimized" by his words, rather than just shrugging it off.

People have the right to be offended and victimized. They don't have shrug it off because you want them to.

I do not claim to be tolerant. I do, however, support his right to express his OPINION without fear of retribution. I have that same right, IMO, as do you.

I don't have that right and nor do you. A reality of living in society is sometimes what you say may offend someone. You can either acknowledge or play victim. You are choosing the victim route.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, forgot a word

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

olaru12

Restricted

olaru12

MystikMushroom
I don't know why America cares what these people say or do? I have much better things to waste my time on than watching these guys. The show IMO looks horrible, maybe one step up from Honey Bo Bo.

Networks and cable co's spend fortunes to try and stay ahead of the ratings curve. They full well know the mind set of Americans.
Advertisers put their spots on shows that have good ratings. And as H L Mencken said..."no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"

I think this thread has confirmed it....

I don't watch this show. I DO support First Amendment rights.

Do you also support employers rights to hire and fire depending on what there employees say?

A&E knew damn well what this man's opinions are. This is nothing but a game to them. I have no respect for this channel. They haven't been about Arts for years.

link   

FlyersFan
Okay .. I"m kinda caught up. Kinda interesting ...

When Martin Bashir spewed disgusting crap about Sarah Palin .... the right was very unhappy and called for him to be fired and the left thought it was 'free speech' and he should be left alone.

His problem was that he basically attached something to Palin that she never said or advocated. He expanded the context way out of whack and basically lied and tried to mud her up with bull crap.

link   
reply to post by Logarock

Logarock
So are you saying that everything said, all the stereotypes made about blacks, gays and women were correct to begin with?

No, I'm not saying that.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks! I was trying to remember a recent time the shoe was on the other foot and couldn't. But you're absolutely right. The villain and victim game. There's always a right and wrong, depending on your politics.

I miss the old emoticons.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

Everyone makes assumptions about people based on appearance either consciously or subconsciously. It is human nature. Unless you yourself are "perfect", I don't really see your point.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Okay .. I"m kinda caught up. Kinda interesting ...

When Martin Bashir spewed disgusting crap about Sarah Palin .... the right was very unhappy and called for him to be fired and the left thought it was 'free speech' and he should be left alone.

Now this duck guy honestly answers a question put to him .... the right think he has a right to free speech and that he shouldn't have been fired and the left is unhappy with what he said and are applauding him being fired.

Eggzactly!

In America, you cannot express an opinion without fear of backlash/punishment.

Why can we not distinguish the difference between what is important and what is trivial?

Kardashians: trivial
Duck Dynasty: trivial
Govt trampling our rights, wasting our hard earned money, corruption and deficit spending to the point of crushing our economy: Important.

Period.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by TheWrightWing

I would like to point out that most of this thread (and most of the noise on the internet about this story) is people of the more conservative persuasion stomping their feet, whining and howling about the fact that Phil got fired... They're offended, pissed off and they're going to do something about it. They're taking their ball and going home. They're crying like babies.

As I said before, whenever something like this happens, the majority of people have to take a side, making one the villain and one the victim. You are as guilty as what you accuse the "hysterically sobbing leftists" of being.

You wish.

He was made the villain for refusing to gush over fashionable perversion. He said nothing Hateful as defined by anyone not brain damaged by twisted leftist "logic".

We're simply pointing out the childish intolerance displayed by the left, who demand a lock-step, uniform purity of thought and how leftists target and silence any deviation from korrect thinking.

His crime was failing to admire and revere the left's protected class of pets. Period.

Btw, there is a reason that laughable "coexist" graphic has to exist, if it were not for one of those symbols, no one would have to lie and pretend that they are all peaceful.

Another example of comical leftist ignorance which is self reinforced for usefulness.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Restricted

olaru12

Restricted

olaru12

MystikMushroom
I don't know why America cares what these people say or do? I have much better things to waste my time on than watching these guys. The show IMO looks horrible, maybe one step up from Honey Bo Bo.

Networks and cable co's spend fortunes to try and stay ahead of the ratings curve. They full well know the mind set of Americans.
Advertisers put their spots on shows that have good ratings. And as H L Mencken said..."no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"

Do you also support employers rights to hire and fire depending on what there employees say?

A&E knew damn well what this man's opinions are. This is nothing but a game to them. I have no respect for this channel. They haven't been about Arts for years.

Then don't watch A&E. Watch the shows I worked on like "Longmier" and "Breaking Bad" and the coming "Night Shift" but I just worked on a pilot for A&E about men who fight forest fires.
edit on 19-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Blah, blah, blah... It's all the same. Conservatives are crying and whining because the Duck man got fired for what he said, just like Martin Bashir did. And the left cried and whined about that. If you can't see both sides, you're wearing blinders.

link   

NotTooHappy
reply to post by Cygnis

All of those apply to Robertson as well.
Bigotry is bad for business. If he wanted to stay on TV, he should have been smart enough to keep his mouth shut. But, a stupid Redneck's gonna do what stupid rednecks do.
I find it disgusting that anyone would defend this guy but, xenophobes of a feather I guess.

I got to tell you that I personally dislike paying for cable, licensing fees, of shows that I don't even watch but highlight gay characters in real life reality shows or otherwise. I guarantee that us heterosexual cable subscribers are pulling most of the load that keeps some of these shown on the cable. Consider that tolerance from many of us.

Oh but I did call HBO and complain about a featured lesbian motorcycle lover show or movie they were running. I ended up turning the movie channels off over it. Someone will say my complaining didn't matter and the show didn't hinge on the small group that detested it. Well what about DD? Same logic could have been applied there.

link   
So?

Its not like he's going around preforming hate crimes on gays.

How dare he have an opinion.

As Beezer said, everything mainstream in our country is composed of nothing but sissies.

What? You have an opinion that doesn't align perfectly with the Liberal/gay community?

You evil bigoted individual thinker.

God, this country makes me sick.

Its perfectly okay for Liberals to bash Christians, call em bigots, etc.

But if they have an opinion, they are evil.

Just trying to understand the rules here...

I guess, like racism and sexism nowadays, intolerance and discrimination does NOT work both ways.

Double standards all around...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by WilsonWilson

I believe for the mindset on this, the line is a clear and very bright one. If Phil had said this with invididual direction? It would have been something all together different. That would have been mean spirited, perhaps even vicious and hurtful to a person. He has since even clarified that he would never treat anyone with disrespect, regardless of their views or lifestyle.

In this case though, he was giving an unscripted interview which was about his personal views, and he gives them as asked.

I figure everyone has a right to be offended or not offended. There are things I see every day which offend me on a personal level. However, that doesn't extend to doing something to the speaker over merely feeling offended....like seeking his professional ruin or anything else, IMO.

Stopping short of trampling other people's rights in pursuit of our own does seem to be an American thing at times. (that's probably just perception tho)

Nobody is seeking his prfessinal ruin though, The company that (i guess) he works for, thinks his comments might reflect badly on them, so they have done something to make a stand saying we dont agree with his comments.
I do agree that everybody has a right not to agree with something such as homosexuality, or beastiality or sleeping around.
i dont think there was anything wrong with his comments as his own personal views BUT if you are known for being on a reality tv show, and you make a puclic statement such as this, then you can probably expect you boss to have something to say.

link   

Benevolent Heretic

Blah, blah, blah... It's all the same. Conservatives are crying and whining because the Duck man got fired for what he said, just like Martin Bashir did. And the left cried and whined about that. If you can't see both sides, you're wearing blinders.

Only a leftist could equate a leftist publicly demanding a woman have vile acts performed upon her with a refusal to adore deviants in an interview with a failing magazine.

I rest my case. Leftism is a mental derangement.

edit on CST12America/Chicago51Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:01:28 -06000112123151 by TheWrightWing because: (no reason given)

link   

olaru12

Restricted

olaru12

Restricted

olaru12

MystikMushroom

Then don't watch A&E. Watch the shows I worked on like "Longmier" and "Breaking Bad" and the coming "Night Shift"
edit on 19-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I loved "BB". I'm very sorry it's over.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

We are complaining because so many of us feel the way he does.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

antonia

bbracken677

No intolerance here...and yet some of us cannot accept the fact that he expressed an opinion and claim to be "offended" and "victimized" by his words, rather than just shrugging it off.

People have the right to be offended and victimized. They don't have shrug it off because you want them to.

I do not claim to be tolerant. I do, however, support his right to express his OPINION without fear of retribution. I have that same right, IMO, as do you.

I don't have that right and nor do you. A reality of living in society is sometimes what you say may offend someone. You can either acknowledge or play victim. You are choosing the victim route.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, forgot a word

Yeah...let's get bent about words.

Sticks and stones and all that ... you know?

I do have that right. I will stand up for that right for myself and others. I have stood up for that right in the past as well.

If he said something offensive while on the job, that is one thing. Saying it on his own time (or my own time, or your own time) and suffering punishment from your employer is wrong....that is, unless we are slaves and the property of our employers.

I dont know about you, but I feel that what I do (if legal) on my own time IS MY OWN BUSINESS.

I find the culture of the offended in the USA to be offensive. Since, apparently, I have the right to be offended over stupid crap, I demand that all those who are offended at the drop of a hat lose their jobs!

Dont you just love irony and sarcasm?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

XxNightAngelusxX

Just trying to understand the rules here...

The rules are actually very simple in this case. Don't say something stupid that reflects on the people that pay your salary.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

bbracken677

If he said something offensive while on the job, that is one thing. Saying it on his own time (or my own time, or your own time) and suffering punishment from your employer is wrong....that is, unless we are slaves and the property of our employers.

Phil is a high profile celebrity. He is always on the job, therefore he spoke on the job. It has no application to my life.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

The problem with seeing everything objectively is seeing that most others do NOT see things objectively, and issues like this are often plagued by heavy double standards.

This is a good example.

In our current Liberal culture, gays are more accepted than Christians.

Therefore, Christians get demonized a lot more than gays anymore.

Same as sexism and racism.

If you're not a feminist and if you don't dislike men, you're against the Liberal culture.

If you don't prefer blacks over whites, you're against the Liberal culture.

See, when hate crimes are preformed against gays, blacks, or sex crimes are preformed against women, the media explodes. But when hate crimes are preformed against whites, heterosexuals, and sex crimes are preformed against men, no one seems to care, because in the jaded eyes of the public, I guess they "deserve" it for being on the wrong team.

Its all engineered social warfare, wrapped up in double standards and the ignorance of our ruling generation. That's what it comes down to. If only EVERYONE could crack their minds enough to see it objectively, then we'd be getting somewhere.

Sadly, though, a good amount of people won't get to that point.

But a lot of us will.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join