It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
www.vedur.is...=table

Thursday
11.09.2014 19:57:12 64.679 -17.442 4.2 km 5.2 99.0 5.9 km NE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 18:10:07 64.664 -17.390 7.5 km 3.6 99.0 7.0 km ENE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 16:50:11 64.667 -17.414 4.4 km 3.1 99.0 6.2 km ENE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 16:46:18 64.670 -17.416 7.9 km 3.1 99.0 6.3 km ENE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 16:20:09 64.623 -17.380 10.3 km 3.0 99.0 7.3 km ESE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 16:08:16 64.666 -17.463 5.3 km 3.5 99.0 4.2 km NE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 14:23:22 64.678 -17.440 9.8 km 4.5 99.0 5.9 km NE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 10:02:50 64.908 -16.489 5.6 km 3.0 36.16 15.5 km SSE of the Dragon
11.09.2014 05:04:49 64.669 -17.468 6.7 km 3.0 99.0 4.3 km NE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 05:00:38 64.672 -17.463 2.0 km 4.3 99.0 4.7 km NE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 00:09:52 64.623 -17.518 1.0 km 3.4 99.0 2.0 km SSE of Bárðarbunga
11.09.2014 00:07:38 64.618 -17.388 5.8 km 5.4 99.0 7.1 km ESE of Bárðarbunga

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Someone was asking about this volcano iirc.
www.jonfr.com...

Tungnafellsjökull volcano

There has been earthquake activity today in Tungafellsjökull volcano. I don’t know what this means since I don’t have any history about eruptions in that volcano. None have been document in the past 1000 years, and none have shown up in the data for the past 8000 years at least. What I do know is that I suspect the volcano might have started to prepare for an volcano eruption in the future. At least Tungafellsjökull volcano was showing slightly higher activity in past few months then normal, but that earthquake activity did stop and everything did go back to normal until now. This might be as simple as just stress adjustment in the crust in the area. At current time I don’t think an eruption is imminent in Tungafellsjökull, but with no history to work with this volcano might surprise me and everyone else. For the moment I think it is just earthquake activity until I am disproved by the volcano or this earthquake activity just stops.

From the same source:

The caldera formation in Bárðarbunga volcano

The new caldera that is now forming in Bárðarbunga volcano is a large event, since Bárðarbunga volcano is a large volcano. GPS data (website here) says that here is still inflation ongoing in Bárðarbunga volcano and at the moment mostly in the dyke. What is so dangerous with this are many factors. Here is the top list of them.

The drop in certain parts of Bárðarbunga volcano down its slopes is up to 1800 meters.
The glacier over parts of Bárðarbunga volcano are up to 850 meters thick in the caldera. Outside the caldera the glacier is up to 600 meters thick.
There are hydro-power dams south-west of the Bárðarbunga volcano. Glacier flood might go that way. There are also some populated areas that might be at risk depending what way the glacier flood would go.
Populations at north of Jökulsá á Fjöllum glacier river (downstream) are at risk from large glacier flood. So are two bridges, the third one that is up on the high lands is not going to be saved.
There is going to be a huge ash cloud once Bárðarbunga volcano collapses into a new caldera. What damage that ash cloud is going to do depends on wind direction. If we have really bad luck we might be looking at air space closure for week or two in Europe depending on wind and weather systems. There are other risks that I don’t about yet.

M.

edit on 11-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
More:

www.jonfr.com...

Status update on Bárðarbunga volcano at 22:11 UTC
Posted on September 12, 2014 by Jón Frímann

This information is going to get outdated quickly.

Eruption in Holuhraun continues and there are no signs about it ending any time soon.
Lava lake has formed in one of the south crater according to the news today. The crater is not erupting at the moment.
Earthquake activity continues along the dyke south of the Holuhraun eruption.
Bárðarbunga continues to drop and I am estimating that the drop today is around 1 meter a day. This number has not been confirmed. Last confirmed number on the drop was that the Bárðarbunga volcano was dropping 90cm/day.
The area around the eruption site is toxic. Due to ever changing wind in the area the risk of getting SO2, CO, CO2 and other toxic gases over one self is always present.
There are warning in place for the SO2 pollution in Iceland at the moment. The warnings are issued based on wind direction at any given time.
The lava continues to flow into Jökulsá á Fjöllum glacier river. This lava is going to create a dam in next few days. The lava is flowing into the river at such force it doesn’t stop and doesn’t cool down properly to stop the flow of new lava into the glacier river.
I have been seeing harmonic tremor spikes all day today. I have traced them to Bárðarbunga volcano. I am not sure on location. It is difficult to know for sure what this means at the moment.

M.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hard to find long-wave devices
www.ruv.is...

Radio broadcasting in Iceland is mainly on FM frequency, but also the long-wave. FM transmitters operate on electricity, but diesel backup power stations are to them and leave them running if a power failure occurs. As long as you can get oil on the transmitter, they are active. Retransmission are sent only electric and therefore inactive in a power failure. This means that FM broadcasts will be very gloppóttar.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What is that flashing in the middle on Cam 1?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

Big
It really seems as if magma is finding its way up below Tungnafellsjökull, that would be quite unique considering there is no known data if this volcano will erupt.

From G.E

The Tungnafellsjökull central volcano, located immediately NW of the massive Vatnajökull icecap, contains two calderas. One is largely filled by the Tungnafellsjökull glacier, and the other ice-free caldera located to the SE contains Pleistocene rhyolitic lavas. The 1535-m-high Tungnafellsjökull volcano is largely of Pleistocene age, but postglacial flank fissures on the NE side have produced young basalts. The Hágöngur central volcano to the SW is part of the Tungnafellsjökull volcanic system.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Vexatious Vex

Have a look at this page and scroll down for a picture of R2D2

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42

Have a look at this page and scroll down for a picture of R2D2

Thank you! I've been reading this thread for days and saw reference to R2D2 but it didn't register as that as all.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Sorry about that, I get a little humorous at times and forget that typed words don't have the same context as spoken.

Thank you everyone for the updates. I don't have much time to do research right now, so coming here and reading along has been most helpful and appreciated!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Awesome video of Mount Tavurvur eruption in Papua New Guinea.

It would have been so awesome to be on that lake when that thing went off.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
G'morning Volcano Watchers!
9-2-2014 FOG/SMOKE
Cam 1 -Meh

Cam 2 - Meh of the same.

3d Bulge

M.
edit on 12-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Iceland Volcano News round up:

"The thalamus seat in a helicopter over the volcano" (Adrenalyn seat?)
www.ruv.is...
Its mostly audio

Eruption of lava pocket is great spectacle and many men want to get close to the disaster. The direct attendance is sightseeing over the volcanic both plane and helicopter. Friðgeir Gudjonsson in Reykjavik Helicopters says the last few weeks have been a lot of time at the company.

Sulfur does not interfere with grain
www.ruv.is...

Sulfur pollution in East threatens not harvest grain farmers but volcanic ash could, however, had an impact. Farmers strive to thresh, including Eymundur Magnusson Vallanes in the Shire. He's expecting metuppskeru or up to 200 tonnes of barley.

"It has escaped so far and I hope it does not lie on us for real," says Eymundur. "It's just kind of surface contamination and does not go into the product and then the living through extensive cleaning before it goes on the market so that it interferes with nothing, I think."

Fluorine poisoning was a major contributor to the livestock die off in the Laki eruption and subsequent famine. So while the gasses are not so much a hazard to crops, ash and absorption of metals etc could foul the crops if there was a large scale eruption like Laki. (Localized to Iceland, though.)

Fluid flow more into the corridor and out
www.ruv.is...

A 4.7 tremor was measured in the morning at the north bosom Bárðarbunga. Another $ 5.2 was about eight in the evening. Minor tectonic movements around the swarm corridor indicate that magma flows into the corridor is slightly higher than the outflow of lava eruption in the hole, which is a change from the last few days.

More than 50 earthquakes have been recorded since midnight. Has slowed the unrest, according to the researchers Coordination Council. Lava flowed spent more than 18 miles northeast of gosstövðunum in hollow lava and greatly restrict the miðkvísl Jökulsárgöng the mountains. While there is still considerable activity in craters, has led to some of it, says volcanologist. Carton Bottom Bárðarbunga victorious yet.

The article also mentions that the scientists had a difficult time placing a GPS sensor in Bardarbunga.

Scientists came GPS meter above the middle of the box Bard bulge under difficult conditions yesterday it would allow closer monitoring of subsidence in the box bottom. Geophysicist Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson said yesterday has sunk fallen 21 meters. It seems to be pretty equal to distortion is 80 centimeters per day. In the pictures that were taken on the trip saw the ice cracks have formed inside the box, which normally would be no cracks to see. They are yet another confirmation of subsidence caldera floor.

Accelerate the roundup and fear of ash
www.ruv.is...

Farmers in Fljótsdal planning to move threatens the corridors because of possible ash eruption in Dyngjujökli. Farmers go to the mountain tomorrow and Mela Just be speeded up by four days. Trial of þriðudag.

Mr. Ingimarsson fjallskil boss says better to have cash at home rather than in the wilderness begin to erupt under ice. Could also flood the Jökulsá the mountains meant that farmers would escape with no meat to Y and at. Instead of needing to increase the killing of Vopnafirði and Hofn.

Not good news for exports of lamb & goat products.

Thirty tremors earthquakes
www.ruv.is...

No changes have occurred in the Seismicity of northern Vatnajökull since midnight. According to an announcement from the IMO has thirty seismometer most with recorder under Dyngjujökli and the crater, and the northern brim Bárðarbunga.

The largest earthquakes are two. Several earthquakes have been the caldera, the mountain tails and Tungnafellsjökul. Tremors of up to 3.1 were recorded at Bárðarbunga about half twelve at night, but shortly before eight last night was tremor of 5.1.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
via Simon Redfern ‏@Sim0nRedfern 1h
#holuhraun basalt is highly vesicular with spectacular glassy rind #bardarbunga - birth of a rock pic.twitter.com/6JXUngrDt3

via Tim Ballisty ‏@IrishEagle 2h
High quality aerial footage RT @Sim0nRedfern: #Holuhraun #Bardarbunga (Sep 11) by Bryndis Bransdóttir's drone camera https: // www. facebook.com/video.php?v=94 4907378857060 & set = vb.933177740030024 & type = 2 & theater ...

www.facebook.com...

via AirLiveNet @ airlivenet 19h
PHOTO Incredible shot of #Bardarbunga eruption with aurora borealis To watch it live: www.airlivenet.com... … pic.twitter.com/aiOwTFOdAG

via Gisli Olafsson @ gislio 2h
The #Bardarbunga caldera has lowered to 21m. Approx 80cm per day now. Still more magma flowing into system than out of it.

Gisli Olafsson @ gislio 4h
Icelandic Coast Guard helicopter landed on #Bardarbunga caldera yesterday with scientists who installed GPS sensors pic.twitter.com/EJ0vgWrYBu

If you have twitter and follow the Iceland Volcanoes, follow these people : @ fencingtobba @ Sim0nRedfern @ Cambridge_Uni @ volcan01010 @ lava_ice @ MikeBurton_volc @ afreedma

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
while the web cams have been hazy, I have done a depth analysis of the Bardarbunga Caldera based on all the earthquake events there since 16th August.
The image below shows a map of the events with a cross section of that below based on depths. The colours on the map represent the depths.
The cross section is a bit skewed to the left compared to the map, but the two extreme events each side with the longitude numbers line up.
I can't see much that jumps out at me.
(click image for larger version, opens in new tab/window)

edit on 09u25425414 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

I'll see if I can line those up better later on.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a vehicle has just driven up to R2D2 on cam 1

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Watching too. Looked like he did something and then I saw them driving off. Pretty cool. Must be really scary to be that close. Looked like he was moving fast. LOL

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

The fact that ghost withdrew his sustaining power from our DNA and the envirement.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Big

02:30 a.m Sept 13

Big

After the last activity, change is clearly visible.
edit on 12-9-2014 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat
Yeah I don't blame them for not hanging about!, it looks like the haze is blowing towards the camera, probably toxic.
I got a couple of screenshots, at first I thought it was another monitoring thing on a trailer, then when I looked 20 seconds later it had moved, that is when I realised it was a vehicles tail lights, probably a SUV with the high light on the back door, and high beams pointing at R2D2 in the 2nd pic.

and 20 seconds later

right click view image for the bigger one

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Ahh, the activity was already less earlier tonight, i thought this was due to the latest seismic activity.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join