It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun activity in 'free-fall' lowest in 4,000 years; new little Ice Age for Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Real risk of a Little Ice Age, says leading scientist

iceagenow.info...

Has this been posted before? Looks like scientists are on the fence, with seemingly more assuring theres no chance of Earth experiencing the little ice age experienced 4000 years ago around in the 1600s when there was a similar solar minimum.

Why are they so sure??

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I'm a little concerned about your referenced site as it is loaded with get you global ice age books here ads. May be nothing but it does seem a bit self-serving.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
They don't care which way they stampede us, as long as we buy a few books on the run. It worked for the Gorebot. Of course, the warm and cold phases are cyclical, but my BIG fear is not global warming or a new ice age, but pole shift...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When something causes the earth to experience global warming, it's reaction balances the warming, throwing us back into an ice age. I thought we may have messed this up and it wasn't working right, but evidently it started now. The sun and earth are tied together through lines of connection. The other planets are tied to the sun also. This link may be important somehow. Maybe what is happening here can influence the sun. I'm speculating with that though, something I am kicking around in my head.

There isn't any real evidence that the sun will go into a maunder minimum. There is enough to make a hypothesis but that is all. It could happen anytime actually. There isn't enough verified evidence to make a definite pattern out of. I can say that there is a possibility but can't even give it a probability yet. There are many articles on this subject out there, I've spent more than a little time reading lots of them.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Gore will no doubt find a way to profit from it. He pretty much has the climate money sewn up at this point.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Ice ages: Why North America is key to their coming and going
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Major Danish Daily Warns: “Globe May Be On Path To Little Ice Age

this may be helpful

A Swedish study found that the planet was warmer in ancient Roman times and the Middle Ages than today, challenging the mainstream idea that man-made greenhouse gas emissions are the main drivers of global warming.

The study, by scientist Leif Kullman, analyzed 455 “radiocarbon-dated mega-fossils” in the Scandes mountains and found that tree lines for different species of trees were higher during the Roman and Medieval times than they are today. Not only that, but the temperatures were higher as well.

“Historical tree line positions are viewed in relation to early 21st century equivalents, and indicate that tree line elevations attained during the past century and in association with modern climate warming are highly unusual, but not unique, phenomena from the perspective of the past 4,800 years,” Kullman found. “Prior to that, the pine tree line (and summer temperatures) was consistently higher than present, as it was also during the Roman and Medieval periods.”

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Arctic bounces back: ESA satellite reveals that polar ice INCREASED by 50% in a year

Around 90 per cent of the increase is due to retention of older ice
This year’s multi-year ice is now around 30 cm thicker than last year

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 103131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Lazarus Short
They don't care which way they stampede us, as long as we buy a few books on the run. It worked for the Gorebot. Of course, the warm and cold phases are cyclical, but my BIG fear is not global warming or a new ice age, but pole shift...

They are shifting now.... Lol Just as long as it happens slowly and little bit at time lol.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Below is one of my own threads discussing Climate Change, Weather Patterns, and the Jet-Stream.

Among other things, it talks about the same scenario mentioned in the OP.

_________

(Climate Change) Earths Increasingly Peculiar Weather - Causes & Effects.

(quote from other thread)

post by iunlimited491

The Sun is responsible for the majority of weather conditions all over the planet, and it is currently experiencing an 'unexpected' low-point in solar activity. You might already be aware of the lack of solar flares and/or sunspots, during what was suppose to be a solar-maximum this year, 2013:

NASA warns 'something unexpected is happening to the Sun' (Released on March 8th.)

'Something unexpected' is happening on the Sun, NASA has warned.
This year was supposed to be the year of 'solar maximum,' the peak of the 11-year sunspot cycle. But solar activity is relatively low.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

And this article, (7/12/13)
Sun's bizarre behavior: Weakest solar cycle in 100 years

2013 was supposed to be the year of solar maximum -- the peak of an 11-year cycle when the number of sunspots that mar the sun's surface is at its highest. But scientists say our current solar maximum, known as solar maximum 24, is the weakest one in 100 years.
www.latimes.com...

Conflicting studies suggests, low solar-activity may also have an effect on the Earths Jet-stream; causing out of the ordinary weather patterns. Especially during the colder months in western Europe. Low solar activity can lead to Atmospheric Blocking and prevent warmer westerly winds from entering the region:

Solar Activity Changes Regional Jetstream Flows

The research finds that low solar activity promotes the formation of giant kinks in the jet stream. These kinks can block warm westerly winds from reaching Europe, while allowing in winds from Arctic Siberia. When this happens in winter, northern Europe freezes, even though other, comparable regions of the globe may be experiencing unusually mild conditions.
www.heatisonline.org...

Low solar activity link to cold UK winters

The UK and continental Europe could be gripped by more frequent cold winters in the future as a result of low solar activity, say researchers.

The researchers used the 351-year CET record because it provided data that went back to the beginning of the last Maunder Minimum, a prolonged period of very low activity on the Sun that lasted about half a century.

The Maunder Minimum occurred in the latter half of the 17th Century - a period when Europe experienced a series of harsh winters, which has been dubbed by some as the Little Ice Age. Following this, there was a gradual increase in solar activity that lasted 300 years.
news.bbc.co.uk...

^^ More at the link.

edit on 16-12-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Great, I was counting on global warming. I bloody hate winter.....how far south should I move now?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Global Warming? Hey... I don't mind T-shirt and shorts weather year around. That sounds like fun.

Global Cooling? That's going to really get rough when multi-harvest regions drop to single..then sporadic harvests. That likely means a pretty dramatic drop in population in a brief period, as time goes.

All in all? I'll vote warming as a preference, if anyone is counting ballots.

edit on 17-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Quick, release the carbon dioxide before we all die.

Do your part, leave the lights on.
Idle your car for an hour each day.
Eat more beans.

I know let's just tax oxygen.
Better yet, tax dihydrogen monoxide.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
We had the lowest temps in 40 years (2nd lowest to record) for about 4 days and today it was warm outside. All I can say is if we are entering a solar maunder this was associated with some big volcanic eruptions in some reading I did awhile back. That wouldn't help matters - "if" theories are correct - that the sun affects the silica in the crust.

Where I'm headed with this - maybe it is just partly the sun. Just enough to mess with minerals which cause these super giants to cool things further? I guess we will know for sure in about 100 years.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

whywhynot
reply to post by gardener

I'm a little concerned about your referenced site as it is loaded with get you global ice age books here ads. May be nothing but it does seem a bit self-serving.

That'll be down to google analitics and all the other ad software that trawls the net. Evr noticed how the ads often reflect your searches?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

dlbott

Lazarus Short

They are shifting now.... Lol Just as long as it happens slowly and little bit at time lol.

The Bot

www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

I does appear that the speed of the movement is increasing.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The winters here in South Eastern Europe have been getting colder and the summers hotter. 10 years ago summers were cooler and winters warmer.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I am certainly not a certified expert however.. 2010 82 land mass volcanos erupted which set a record... New record was this year with 83 eruptions so far; IMO that will cool the atmosphere depending on how much ejecta the volcanos spewed out. That coupled with the Sun not acting like it has in the past really should have an effect on our climate by cooling.

I have gone around and around with some of our knowledgeable researchers here at ATS about incomplete data that is used on both sides of the argument. One side has every plan imaginable to access a countries tax base while the other side "the denier's" hang their hat on every cold snap and snow storm.

The debate from a couple of guys who actually know what they are talking about in the following video. Starts getting rather good at around the 12:00 mark.. enough for both sides to consider

Again just an opinion but the 7 billion plus inhabitants better hope there is global warming and not another ice age coming.

new topics

top topics

join