It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis is a whistleblower for the poor. Thank you Time for recognising it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I found this article written in Guardian, which I really liked, so I decided to create a thread on it. I can not copy-paste the whole article here, but I would suggest anyone commenting here, reading it through
At least in my eyes, well-written.

Snowden showed us the educated and wealthy aren't entirely free. Francis reminds us the poor aren't even given a chance

The victory of the free markets has made empathy a bad word. It certainly is on Wall Street. You can't make money if you start asking how it is made, who is being hurt, and who is being left behind. So rather than look at those left behind, those wielding economic power have slipped further into their world of technology and luxury. Surrounding themselves by technological walls to complement the physical walls.

Snowden has reminded us that those technological walls have cracks. That nobody is completely free. It is a big revelation, but it's something those living in poverty have viscerally known from birth. They know that many in this world are never even given a chance of freedom.Pope Francis asks that all of us, especially those wielding economic power, start looking at the destructive effects of our current idolatry of money and rationality. Get out of the technology cocoon and see what – who – has been left behind.

Snowden is combating the creeping influence of state power into technology. The Pope is combating the complete takeover of society by free markets, the resulting death of empathy, and ultimately the soullessness of our current culture.

www.theguardian.com...

This year, it might have been a tough choice, but in my eyes, Pope Francis fully deserved getting the person of the year.

Privacy is a huge issue and Snowden revealed a lot, but at the end Pope Francis was one of the first major players around the world to address the issue of poverty which is causing incredible suffering all around the world, even in the advanced countries, which will go significantly worse in the future.

As it was pointed out in the article (did not quote that part), there are siginificant problems around the world - there are people starving, having to suffer diseases due to not having the finances/option of treatment, the power getting into the hands of the few is becoming larger and larger and what people care about is whether somebody is snooping their facebook...

A person dies due to insurance company not backing up their claims, and the 2-point loss in the stock market gets the headlines...

Where is the empathy? The more I look around, the more I see the fellow man being forgotten, majority of the people figthing for themselves with zero care for anybody else. As long as I get my pay, I don´t care... If somebody has to suffer for me getting my pay, its their fault. The higher of the ladder we move, the less people tend to care. Money has become the God, something to worship and for many this piece of paper trumps the environment, other human beings and everything else around them. It´s all about me, me and me.

That is just sad and disturbing to even think of and Pope Francis is addressing the issue and getting the headlines with it. That deserves respect.

Despite being a non-believer, the words of that pope towards societal issues are something every person should hear.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Pffffft.......How about a little Reality...

in 2014 the 0bamaScare Law will throw 20 million more previously middle=class Americans into the 'Poor' category//

in 2015 the vast majority of the remaining American tax-paying middle class...about another 60 million

will be classified as POOR.... although not at the 260% below the 'Poorness' threashold the 0bama snits decree as worthy of Subsidies and government Largesse

the Pope, be he good or not-so-good-or-Pius is even wealthier thnt the Bilderbergers+Rothschilds+Rockerfellers combined---

i think you are casting Pearls-before-the-Swine

If Pope Francis cant recognize Evil leaders--- then He himself is a mamby-pamby, luke-warm believer that the Lord spews from his mouth
edit on 11-12-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
how about being a whistleblower for Catholic sex abuse cases ??

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

$43 million hmmm i wonder how much penicillin and clean water and food that could buy...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So far I do like this new Pope and what he seems to be trying to do. However, is this really classified as Whistleblowing??? I mean is anyone actually unaware that the poor are basically f***ed out of a decent standard of living?? Was anyone clueless to this fact, really???

Obviously the poor know it cause they live it all day every day. The Rich know it because they thrive off it. The middle class knows it cause they fear it as they might be next on the list. So who exactly was the whistle being blown for in this case??? Or is it just an example of someone trying to use one of the many popular words or phrases of the day like "Whistleblower, Drones, New World Order, Cosmic Consciousness, Entitlement Generation, Global Terrorism, Quantative Easing, etc.

I think these reporters just figure if they use enough of "key" words that more people will read what they write. BTW I'm not trying to redirect the idea of this thread. The actual idea has merit. I just get sick of how certain words are overused in media all the time. It just cheapens them for when they really are supposed to get peoples attention.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To me, it's all just a little bit hypocritical when you consider the vast wealth the roman catholic church is sitting on.

Their lack of action on many issues speaks volumes. Same old organisation IMO

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I have been saying this since 1/21/09, and it's nothing based on any prejudice. But I could tell from the start he was in it for the money, bailing out his family and friends, I don't want this to drift off topic so I'll end my rant.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Here is how a real jesuit spends the vaticans cash. He deserves the nomination just for this alone. What a hero what a gentle peace loving guy.

the-tap.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

LOL. This is one funny thread you started. You'll forgive me if i don't Star or Flag.

new topics

top topics

join