It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Okay, Rare doesn't really touch it for this modern City-State/Nation. This is the most they've seen for rioting in over 40 years!

Police said they had arrested 27 suspects after the riot, which started after a private bus hit and killed a 33-year-old Indian national in the Little India area.

The riot is likely to fuel concerns about discontent among low-paid foreign workers. Last year, Singapore saw its biggest outbreak of labour unrest in years when around 170 bus drivers from mainland China went on strike illegally.

Singapore is the place where some forms of littering or graffiti can get someone a sentence of caning, which is being whacked (to the point of cutting skin open in extreme cases) with a long stick in court assigned punishment. However they manage it, they do keep law in a very diverse place and in a region of the world where that isn't necessarily common.

The riots came on the same day that Singapore's ruling political party adopted a new resolution, the first since 1988, about its social aims.

The eight-point mission statement from the People's Action Party included a resolve to strengthen the Singaporean identity where people of different races, religions and backgrounds "live harmoniously together, embrace one another as fellow citizens and work together for a better Singapore".
Source

It is a unique place, and I'm sorry to hear something like rioting has erupted there, of all places. I came across this though and the Unrest forum wouldn't seem complete without coverage of it, given a 40+ year history since the last outbreak of it's kind. (1969, according to the article)

Interesting times we live in. Interesting and strange, indeed.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
WOW, That is rare, Singapore is a very restrictive society so this should be seen as a major development. I mean, chewing gum is illegal in Singapore; riots DONT happen...

This could be an indicator of instability growing in the region. If riots happen in KL/Djackarta/Manilla in the coming weeks--be worried.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Remember this clown? Ol' Bill got his sentence reduced to something inconsequential and he came back to Mercka where he still couldn't stay out of trouble. I always thought Clinton should have to take his strokes every time he broke another law.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I hate to be this guy but a Singaporean posted this yesterday, I think he even took footage of it.

Singapore riots

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Considering that singaporean employers are notorious for cheating workers out of wages and then working them like slaves .. surprised it hasnt happened sooner .. theres alot of discontent among singaporean workers had several tell me of what they endure .. Singapore not going to publicise the problem good american puppet state .. dissent is quickly stamped out there.

Wont set foot in singapore these days .. too repressive
edit on 9/12/13 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/12/13 by Expat888 because: drunken tengu causing havoc...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Awesome..
I'm flying into Singapore in 12 days... then onto Bangkok!

Hey penang.. why not join the queue and make it a great new years trek for me!

Fingers crossed it doesnt turn to sour... singapore has a bit of pent up anger id imagine..

top topics

join