It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wage Strikes Planned at Fast Food Outlets in 100 US Cities on Thursday (12/5/13)

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

macman
reply to post by TheRegal

And the military member pays taxes as well.

Yet, I have never heard of a military member sitting on their butt, and receiving a paycheck for being "poor".

Want to try that again????

Service Connected Disabilities

3.6 million

Number of veterans with a service-connected disability rating in 2012. Of this number, 881,981 had a rating of 70 percent or higher. A "service-connected" disability is one that was a result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Severity of one's disability is scaled from 0 to 100 percent, and eligibility for compensation depends on one's rating.

veterans day:census facts

I guess these men and women are thieves?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Now you are just grasping.
What does a service connected disability have to do with anything?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

macman

Now you are just grasping.
What does a service connected disability have to do with anything?

Your words not mine:

macman

The rights of I don't know, actually not have something stolen by the Govt to give to others.

Regardless if you think someone has too much, it doesn't give you the right to take just a little from them to give to others.

If you want those things, maybe work to get it, instead of looking to Govt to steal it away from someone and hand it to you.

They are paid from taxes collected.
edit on 17-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm a history buff and do know why unions were formed and agree that they were needed at THAT time. But they have become what they once fought against. Unions are now like a tick in your nether regions sucking your blood without you realizing it until they have grown fat and soft.

some have, but not all...and let's look at the FACT that only 13% of the people that are now in the workforce are unionized...so, the question is...how are the other 87% doing?....stagnant wages, part-time minimum-wage jobs, with no benefits...this is the slowest growth in income for the middle class, that we have seen in 50 years,....and it's not getting better...so?...in your words, why do you think unions are the blood suckers, and NOT the owners, investors, and executives of companies?....it's really simple...look who has had the largest income growth in America, according to the IRS, and who has had the lowest...it's all there in black and white, with no political spin.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Again, how is the payment to those that are disabled through a service connected issue, have anything to do with Welfare for those that aren't working?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In w free socity shouldnt eveyone be free to strike ?

Of course company should be free to fire strikers too :p

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
My frustration with welfare is the following..

I worked roughly a 65 hour week last week due to an outage.
I worked until 4 am last night and will be at work over night tonight due to an upgrade.
I would gladly be willing to give to others if someone is going to give me their time to help out with that work load.

That is not how it works though.

Last night I saw a woman talking on her iPhone using her credit card to pay for the second half of her shopping trip while she paid for the first with her EBT card.

That just doesn't work .

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm not totally anti-union, just 98% so. I actually like how the Railroad Unions treat their members and know of a couple smaller ones who have done their members well. But all of the major unions have become bloated bureaucracies that seem to cater to politicians rather than those they supposedly speak for. Trumka, Hoffa Jr., etc, have all engaged in fiery rhetoric that inflames emotions, but in the long run doesn’t help. But I guess it looks good for the MSM.

Here in the rust belt, the unions had a major role in driving away business and closing up the companies that once were profitable. LTV steel wanted to modernize so that they could stay competitive, but it would require laying off 1/3 of the workforce. The unions fought it and now LTV Steel is no more here as they shut the plant down and they are all out of work instead of just a third of them. Their own union screwed them in this case. And there are many more stories out there like that.

I also know of some of the local trades unions that are closing down peoples home improvement projects. Even after they get the permits to do so. They take them to court saying that the improvements are not up to code and that only a union member should be doing the work. They’re like the mafia here. I know of one guy who was building his own house and decided to sell the property because the lawyer fees were eating up his income. The unions would just not let go even after they had lost. They would just file another suit. (BTW, most people do their own home improvements because they cannot afford union labor)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

opethPA

I worked until 4 am last night and will be at work over night tonight due to an upgrade.
I would gladly be willing to give to others if someone is going to give me their time to help out with that work load.

Last night I saw a woman talking on her iPhone using her credit card to pay for the second half of her shopping trip while she paid for the first with her EBT card.

That just doesn't work .

Yep, Sounds about right.

I work a day job, from 6am till 3pm. Home from 3:30pm till 8:00pm. Off to my shop/business from 8:30 till midnight. Rinse and repeat with the only exception on not working 80% of the time is Sunday.
This all to provide a better and more comfortable life for my family and myself.

Yet, people think it is okay to take from me to give to others via theft from the Govt. All in the name of "fairness". Bull# I say.

If you want money, a home, clothes, food, car, phone, tv etc.... you need to work for it and stop looking to the Govt to provide it for you.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

opethPA

That just doesn't work .

So what?

iPhones are free if you sign a contract. You absolutely need a phone these days. How do you know she even had a data plan? She could've been paying 15 bucks a month for that iPhone.

Also an EBT card can be issued to people with disabilities. Not all disabilities are instantly recognizable, either. Maybe this woman has lupus? Would you want someone with lupus performing the work that you apparently do for 65 hours a week?

I'm sorry but your silly little anecdote really only described to me the instantaneous judgment of other people out of sheer ignorance that you would have to oblige in order to hold certain opinions being expressed here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

TheRegal
So what?

iPhones are free if you sign a contract. You absolutely need a phone these days. How do you know she even had a data plan? She could've been paying 15 bucks a month for that iPhone.

You do realize that you contradicted yourself with that statement? Right? $15 dollars a month is not free.

Also an EBT card can be issued to people with disabilities. Not all disabilities are instantly recognizable, either. Maybe this woman has lupus? Would you want someone with lupus performing the work that you apparently do for 65 hours a week?

It's good that you think of other possibilities why a person is on welfare or UC. But often it is just plain old laziness on the individuals part. They're getting something for nothing and milking the system. And THAT really pisses me off because there are those that do need those benefits.

I'm sorry but your silly little anecdote really only described to me the instantaneous judgment of other people out of sheer ignorance that you would have to oblige in order to hold certain opinions being expressed here.

But belittleing others makes things right? Right? Perception is THE reality. When you have people posting on how to scam the system and making YouTube videos on how they are living large off of the taxpayer, it has a tendency to piss people off. And often that anger is misdirected. But just as often it is not.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

TheRegal

You absolutely do need a phone, what you don't need is a smartphone.
Assuming of course she is using a $15 a month voice only plan i have to ask which carrier actually offers that deal?

TheRegal

She also had keys in her add which it's a safe bet to assume she was driving a car of some sort.
I know..everyone has to have a car. Disabilities can only be used when it makes your argument .

TheRegal

I'm sorry but your assuming she isn't scamming the system just because it doesn't meet your argument tells me you have already made your mind up that all people on welfare are noble and honorable.

It's not the first time I have seen someone doing something like this in an urban setting and it wont be the last. Next time I see it I'll watch the person leave to see which SUV they most likely get into.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

opethPA

You absolutely do need a phone, what you don't need is a smartphone.
Assuming of course she is using a $15 a month voice only plan i have to ask which carrier actually offers that deal?

Airvoice Wireless $10/mo

She also had keys in her add which it's a safe bet to assume she was driving a car of some sort.

It's amazing to me how when people argue with anecdotes online and -- the first time they express it -- they just happen to leave out other information. Until, of course, it wasn't a good enough anecdote, then suddenly there were multiple other things in this circumstance that happened as well.

Amazing how me giving reasonable explanation for your first points suddenly reminded you that she had keys. Something you totally would've taken note of and definitely not something you would've made up to try and bolster your point.

I personally got a car as a wedding present, though, so again your assumptions aren't really convincing me that this woman actually shouldn't be on social assistance.

I'm sorry but your assuming she isn't scamming the system just because it doesn't meet your argument tells me you have already made your mind up that all people on welfare are noble and honorable.

Oh is that what I'm saying?And here all along I thought I was saying that your assumptions are incredibly specific and have very little perspective or any open-ended conclusions that don't just end with a political view that you had coming into this likely fictitious situation.

Of course there are people who will milk the system. I'm sorry it's making you upset that you can't convince me to believe that this woman was one of them based on the lack of knowledge of her actual situation. I think it's probably aggravating you because you know she milks the system -- because you likely made her up entirely.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

TDawgRex

TheRegal
So what?

You do realize that you contradicted yourself with that statement? Right? $15 dollars a month is not free.

$15 a month is for a plan, not for a phone. The phone is free. I didn't contradict myself at all. iPhones are generally rather expensive on their own if you don't get a plan, and a lot of plans will give you one for free if you sign into a 2-3 year contract.

And actually, there are a lot of people online who will sell you their old iPhone for less than 50 bucks even without a plan that offers it for free.

A woman having an iPhone doesn't it any way imply that she paid full price for a brand spankin' new one. I don't know anybody who paid full price for their cellphone.

It's good that you think of other possibilities why a person is on welfare or UC. But often it is just plain old laziness on the individuals part. They're getting something for nothing and milking the system. And THAT really pisses me off because there are those that do need those benefits.

Often? sure, maybe. Is it the majority of cases? That you'll have to prove if you want things to change. No system is perfect, especially if it's essential. The police force would be a good example; often cops will do outrageous acts, is it the majority of cops? Do you think we should get rid of the police?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

TheRegal
So what?

iPhones....strike that. ALL smartphones under contract require the addition of a Data plan.

You........Loose.........Again...........

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

TheRegal

Airvoice Wireless $10/mo

You still have to provide the phone to be connected.

So, she was able to afford an unlocked $150-$300 smartphone.

Fail again.

You really are out of your realm, as myself, opethPA and others are in the IT/Telecom/ISP world and know this things pretty well.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

The phone is not free.

www.airvoicewirelessphones.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Plus can you tell me how a smart phone is even a "needed" item?

Certainly should not be part on unemployment welfare by any stretch.

May a old secound hand £5 phone that can only receive calls and texts, cause you cant really get a job without one these days (least not in UK) but a smart phone? How the hell is that a needed item?

I survived 5 years without a Iphone while working, before getting one in 2012. If I can do that anyone can!
edit on 18-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I agree. The dependance on technology is mind numbing, and I work my day job in the technology industry.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

TheRegal
Airvoice Wireless $10/mo

Like Mac said..she still needs to provide a physical smart phone and to say a phone is required is one thing..to say a smartphone..that is another.

It's amazing to me how when people argue with anecdotes online and -- the first time they express it -- they just happen to leave out other information. Until, of course, it wasn't a good enough anecdote, then suddenly there were multiple other things in this circumstance that happened as well.

Actually there were multiple other thigs she had which indicated she probably had more money then she should have if she had access to an EBT card. I didn't bring them up because what is the point since nothing I or anyone else says is going to budge you on the idea that it's more likely she got a billion things as a gift vs her exploiting.

Amazing how me giving reasonable explanation for your first points suddenly reminded you that she had keys. Something you totally would've taken note of and definitely not something you would've made up to try and bolster your point.

I don't need to make up anything to bolster my point.
Spend 5 minutes in a store in any part of Philadelphia, where I live but it's easy to assume that other large cities are that way, and you can witness for yourself people having the latest Prada bag with a new Lexus and paying for their milk with EBT.

I personally got a car as a wedding present, though, so again your assumptions aren't really convincing me that this woman actually shouldn't be on social assistance.

Occam wants to know what is more likely..Mass numbers of people getting cars for gifts or people with too much money for EBT exploiting the system.

view that you had coming into this likely fictitious situation. Of course there are people who will milk the system. I'm sorry it's making you upset that you can't convince me to believe that this woman was one of them based on the lack of knowledge of her actual situation. I think it's probably aggravating you because you know she milks the system -- because you likely made her up entirely.

This is how much I care about you thinking I made up a situation....

Keep living in your fantasy world where you think stuff like this doesn't happen and doesn't happen often.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join