It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization accused of racism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
More accusations of racism in America. This time the dastardly culprit is a college professor who had the audacity to actually correct a "minority" students assignment paper.

Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization, is accused of racism

Racial tensions are inflamed at the University of California at Los Angeles following several incidents — most notably, one where a professor corrected the grammar, punctuation and capitalization in minority students’ assignments.

The act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression,” according to the members of the student group “Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color,” which launched a sit-in during a subsequent meeting of the class.

“A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor,” wrote the group in a statement to the college.

“Micro-aggression” is a new term I hadn't heard of so I looked it up in the online dictionary.

micro-aggression
    The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

These are supposed to be graduate students but they can't seem to use basic punctuation and to top it off they appear to be inventing new words as they go along. I'd "red-pen" correct their papers too and tell them to get over it.

Micro -
    1: very small; especially : microscopic
    2: involving minute quantities or variations

Aggression -
    1: a forceful action or procedure (as an unprovoked attack) especially when intended to dominate or master
    2: the practice of making attacks or encroachments; especially : unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another
    3: hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration

Online Dictionary for Grad Students
List of Online Grammar Checkers for Grad Students

+24 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This will probablly get me labeled racist, but it's true.

Anything that is a normal gesture in a sane society (like, a Professor correcting his student's grammar), will be miscontrued as a racist action.

I lived in the inner city when I was younger, and I learned very quickly that I had to treat the black kids my age differently.

Like, if a black kid happened to be bullying another kid, and I pointed out the behvior to the bully, I was called a racist. That form of thinking was pretty rampant in the all black schools I attended.

It has become a blanket statement to cover their behavior.

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Not surprising. The race card has been used so much as of late it's strange it hasn't already been clipped to pieces for overcharge.

Don't want religion in your school and you pull your kid out? Your eight year old is labled a racist.
Correct a minority as a TEACHER during a GRADED assignment? You're a racist.
Point out the fact that a recent and popular "game" is a hate crime? You're racist.

Doesn't matter one way or another. Might as well be racist as f*** because even if you aren't, you're a racist.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Auricom because: Spelling

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Heck, the professor has learned the lesson here, I'm sure.

Don't try and help educate the poor kids. They'll hate you for it and sue you. Just help them ticket-punch their way through to a degree and let the world be very cruel and merciless in showing them how ignorant and unprepared they are to function aside actual professionals who do have some basic skill with written english.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I say let the stupid be stupid, the reactionary the reactionary. If you ever find yourself in a situation where everyone else just makes you look good because they're so bad, what's wrong with that? If the idiots run the show, then you can just play dumb, take good notes, and one day replace them with yourself.

Stupid doesn't hurt you until someone hurts you with it.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression,” according to the members of the student group “Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color,” which launched a sit-in during a subsequent meeting of the class.

Really? The audacity of this professor to correct the grammar of a black college student??? I guess they prefer he be shucked through like apparently he was in the rest of his education?

I wonder if they had a sit in when the black teachers were accused of cheating FOR the black students not too long ago?

I doubt he wrote it in what was called ebonics, but i wouldnt find it hard to believe he left out words. Meaningful words like "of"...

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I guess as someone who has been on the receiving end of what I always thought of as the "red correction pen of death" I can understand the frustration of being brutally corrected. What I can't understand is the victim mentality so prevalent in minorities. Everything is a racial attack now days it seems.

When the minorities of America become the majority they will be weak, uneducated and quite frankly ill equipped to lead anything, let alone the country. If that's what we have to look forward to we're hosed.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Petty is the name of the game when it comes to being accused of racism. These people wouldn't know racism if it bit them in the ***.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ok, I read that.

What kind of entitlement do you have to have a sense of to think that you can just change the rules of English to suit your personal preference? It's clearly not an issue of race, it's an issue of which part of speech 'indigenous' is.

Or maybe it's an issue of how our language is being destroyed by news tickers, texting, and futilely attempting to convey BIG IDEAS in 140 characters or less.

But nah, this little girl is really confused, but I hope she, and all of her supporters learn something from this. At a minimum, that the word 'indigenous' is an adjective, and not a proper noun.

Tried to find the root word of indigenous, apparently it is a root word. I was thinking that there could be a word like indigeny to describe a group of indigenous people.

As in, "They slaughtered, displaced, and subjected the Indigeny of the New World."

Capitalize new world? IDK im' dum.

edit on 26-11-2013 by Mon1k3r because: DOH!

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I can't imagine that any member will come here to support the student's position, so let me make another quick observation.

I went to the article, which is my wont when faced with an incredible story, and was stopped by the first paragraph.

Racial tensions are inflamed at the University of California at Los Angeles following several incidents — most notably, one where a professor corrected the grammar, punctuation and capitalization in minority students’ assignments.

Correcting grammar was the MOST notable incident?!? There were others that were less significant than this??? What did they do, schedule a block of time on the University's Grievance Electron Microscope?

edit on 26-11-2013 by charles1952 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
From the article.

Some of the corrections were clarified by sit-in organizer Kenjus Watson. Rust told one student that she should not capitalize the word “indigenous” in her papers. This correction was ideologically-motivated, according to Watson.

I can't stop laughing at that.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Pussification of america. Weak as water with paper thin skin.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Im trying to find an unbiased news source, can anyone point me to one that is not republican/conservative based?

The story seems more than meets the eye.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Notice how the article started out, "Racial tension were inflamed......"?

The word "Racism" was developed to bring attention to a serious problem where certain groups hated others and denied them equality as human beings based upon the color of ones skin.

Fast forward to today, when it has become a word used in the tactics of "Saul Alinsky" to promote a political agenda and shut up those whom have an opposing political view.

This story is proof in my opinion as to how our education and media has done a fine job in dumbing down it's citizens! Instead of this so called group of "graduate" students looking at the crybaby that was upset over his lack of ability to learn how to write, and tell him so, they just decided to abusively use the term "Racism" to do nothing more than show that the education system failed them!!

Anyhow, the really sad thing is, that no matter how brilliant these people whom carelessly and abusively throw out the word "Racist", what they are actually doing is creating MORE Racism and devaluing the true meaning of the word so that it will make it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone whom is actually a victim of Racism, to get the justice they might deserve.......

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I blame the parents with how ignorant children and teenagers are today. Even at the school I go to, you have black kids always bringing up race and staring you down like it is your fault. I did nothing to you. And I always have to keep my mouth shut as to not start a riot. Lovely, isn't it. That people in society still can not get along with one another.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Micro-Yawn.

Next thing the Uni's will have to stop using black pens and white paper.

Poor little minority group needs attention because one of them can't spell or write correctly.

"Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color" are the racists here and should be labeled a hate group.

This will not stop until the "silent" majority wake up and say enough is enough.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So what's the big deal about being racist? Am I supposed to feel bad or think differently because someone calls me a racist? What's the purpose of labeling a person "racist" in the first place? It doesn't change the rules of grammar or anything else.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Not sure, If one person calls you a racist, its nothing to worry about, but if you have a "run" in with people calling you behaviour racist, then you have to wonder.

People calling people names is their choice, reaction is up the 2nd person. If you react, the terrorist win.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well if this students "friends" are going to create a hostile atmosphere for learning, then the student should either be given an incomplete or a "F!!!!"
There is no reason that the instructor and other students should have to be in that hostile situation.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

I like the way you think. I hope my kids will infiltrate the financial system and destroy it. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of "replacing" going on between now and forever.

I really don't see how a professor is being racist by correcting someone's paper. This is just a trick to get something by not earning it. A lot of people have figured out that our system is liberal and they know how to play it like a banjo. This is why liberalism is bad for America. It shouldn't matter what color you are, if you suck, then you suck. If your work isn't good, then it just isn't good and you need shown the [proper way.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Fylgje because: forgot to be on topic lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join