It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you define what freedom is?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When you Google the definition this is the first thing it shows:
free·dom
ˈfrēdəm/
noun
noun: freedom

1. the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
"we do have some freedom of choice"

Can you define or explain what freedom is or means to you?

We are told we are free, but are we?

There are many faces of freedom, social freedom, freedom to own and develop property, freedom of speech and expression, the criminal justice system, taxation, freedom of religion just to list a few.

This thread is about the freedom/right to purchase property and your rights to develop this property both as a residence and a business.

Do you have the right to do this? Or is this a conditional freedom/right?

The inspiration for this thread is Eustace Conway and so many other Americans who wish to carve there own life out of the land they have purchased. Do you have freedom to build your own house or must you conform to the local housing inspectors and building codes? Are there any counties left in America other than Alaska where you can do this with out government permission?

I would like to purchase property and put a few mobile homes on it, then I wish to build a aquaponic farm, but after research the hoops you must jump from the government this farm is unlikely, but this system can be used to grow live bait of all varieties without so much government regulation.

What say you ATS?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
freedom isn't something, it's the lack of something, restraint, the lack of restraint. kind of like darkness being nothing but the lack of light, it has no measurable substance on it's own and neither does freedom. my take on it anyway.

i suppose restraint has been placed in many areas of our lives and that seems to be growing.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

When I was a child it was explained to me that freedom is the right to choose, but that didn't sit well with me because every single human on this planet no matter where they live has the choice of obeying or conforming to the law of the land, from soviet Russia to North Korea.

Freedom is not so easily to define, yet we here about how free we are.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Freedom is best defined by having nothing left to lose.

Not just a lyric from a great song..but words I came to find true during a brief period I was homeless in life. The best, but worst and yes..absolutely most FREE time I've ever lived. Nice memories...kinda..to never relive. It was freedom though, like nothing else has ever come close to.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Ever been to Mexico? How about the Philippines? Maybe you've seen Mumbai India?

If you haven't been to a country with no building codes, you don't have much standing to complain about building codes in the US. I've been to those places and coming home to a nice orderly place with uniform building standards feels good beyond words.

Libertarians would eliminate building codes, food labeling, pollution controls etc. Sometimes I wonder why they don't emigrate to the Philippines immediately so they can drink from the fire hose of freedom. The water will make you sick, but oh well.
edit on 22-11-2013 by InverseLookingGlass because: shpelling

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

LDragonFire
When you Google the definition this is the first thing it shows:
free·dom
ˈfrēdəm/
noun
noun: freedom

1. the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
"we do have some freedom of choice"

Can you define or explain what freedom is or means to you?

Individual responsibility is not freedom - it is slavery.

It says somewhere that all is done on earth as it is in heaven.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Humans don't have freedom animals do you fish in a lake without a permit your gonna get a fine now a bear fishing in the lake is a different story why because the bear is free as we are not we are bound by endless rules and regulations obey obey obey, we are denied freedom!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The ability to live my life without restraint from government or society as long as I'm not physically harming another person or their property. Those are the only rules we need. It's truly that simple folks.

Fact is, there is still a multitude of places where you can live as such in America if you know where to look.

With that said the big cities are too far gone and you'll never have an ounce of freedom there. Nor should you expect it, cities are always more restrictive, in every way but living out a materialistic lifestyle. Individualism vs Collectivism etc. etc. etc.
edit on 22-11-2013 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

LDragonFire
We are told we are free, but are we?

No. We are born into a system of slavery that's slowly rienforced on each individuals life and thoughts throughout the span of their lives.

There are many faces of freedom, social freedom, freedom to own and develop property, freedom of speech and expression, the criminal justice system, taxation, freedom of religion just to list a few.

Social Freedom? Just ask minorities about social freedom...they'll set you straight on that.
Freedom of speech and expression? We do not have freedom of speech or expression...we instead have political correctness and that is just another form of censorship.
Criminal Justice? There is no justice in this world and nothing illustrates this better that our own judicial system. We are no longer guilty until proven innocent...we are innocent until we run out of money.
Taxation? Taxation is violence so that's as far from freedom as you can get.
Freedom of Religion? I'm not gonna go there because it'll upset too many people and derail the thread.

This thread is about the freedom/right to purchase property and your rights to develop this property both as a residence and a business.

According to Agenda21 and the U.N., you have no such rights. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who owns property that been reclassified by the government as a "wet land". If you try and collect rain water and you're caught doing it, guess where you're going? That's right...directly to jail.

IMO none of the realities of the instances named above are examples of legal activity on the part of the state. They are examples of how the state says one thing to be true, then by example, demonstrates that it is absolutely not.

The inspiration for this thread is Eustace Conway and so many other Americans who wish to carve there own life out of the land they have purchased.

I like Conway and I wish him the best of luck.
I am not saying freedom doesn't exist.
I am saying it does not exist for the other 99% of us.

If you think you're free or have rights in America, do a search for "Japanese Americans" during World War II and see if what you find there convinces you that we're indeed free people.

BTW, nice thread. Looking forward to seeing some of the answers that are posted here.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Not just a lyric from a great song..but words I came to find true during a brief period I was homeless in life. The best, but worst and yes..absolutely most FREE time I've ever lived. Nice memories...kinda..to never relive. It was freedom though, like nothing else has ever come close to.

The worst parts wouldn't have been as bad if there wasn't a population in place with an active effort in play to make a lifestyle like that as uncomfortable as possible... even when no harm or even less harm is being done compared to if you were to live as that population demands you live.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

No. We are born into a system of slavery that's slowly rienforced on each individuals life and thoughts throughout the span of their lives.

Define slavery in that context? In days of old when slaves were bought and sold, they had no pretense or delusion of freedom. They slept, woke, worked, ate and eventually died at the hands and commands of a master and death could come much quicker to those who failed to understand that. It was a master in an immediate and direct daily way.

In this life, I may have to submit to a form of economic slavery IF I choose to be a part of what that life entails (which, to some degree, I have). However, I can also chuck it all, if I choose, and become homeless to enjoy that ultimate freedom. No one will beat me, imprison me or kill me for doing ...nothing. Nothing at all. Doing nothing as a slave in Africa, Europe or the Americas would have mean no value and hence, no worth to keep alive.

I'd take exception to any suggestion we live in conditions which could be compared to slavery in any sense we'd know the term...but I'm curious to hear how you define that, too?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

If you haven't been to a country with no building codes, you don't have much standing to complain about building codes in the US. I've been to those places and coming home to a nice orderly place with uniform building standards feels good beyond words.

Libertarians would eliminate building codes, food labeling, pollution controls etc. Sometimes I wonder why they don't emigrate to the Philippines immediately so they can drink from the fire hose of freedom. The water will make you sick, but oh well.

you're right... everyone has the freedom to drink river water, but, I'd rather have a government entity with knowledgeable and trained staff, to verify that the water I do drink has been purified, so as not to catch some disease

when I drive on the road, I do not want to be driving 70 miles an hour and have a car pass me that has a 14 yr old drunk driver at the wheel, and the car he is driving in, have bald tires, no brakes, no lights, leaking gas tank, parts dangling off the side of his car.

edit on 22-11-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

One would have to experience true freedom in order to know what it is, otherwise its just an illusion perceived by the individual person.

Just my opinion, there is really not much to go on now a days.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We are born into economic slavery. You claim everyone can disregard that and go live in the woods but that's not entirely incorrect.
People with families to care for, sick relatives or others with special needs can't opt out of this system if they wanted to. Sure they could try but it would cost them the lives of those they are trying to help or look after.
We have it enforced through the educational system that does it's level best to ensure young people with nothing to lose don't compete with rich older people who can't compete with the younger generation who have less needs and requirements for survival.
We have it enforced through the police state which is doing it's best to teach prisoner accimation to the masses. No elaboration needed here.
We have it thrown on us by the state trying to strip power from the constitution. No elaboration needed there either.
We are enslaved by the medical system with "death panels" and corrupt insurance practices. No elaboration needed there as well.
They are used like fodder whenever the state claims it must goto war and in the cases of a "draft" the people have no choice but to die for "King & Country".
The government destroys the job market with it's policies then offers assistance to the less fortunate, thereby enslaving them as well in the process.
I can keep going on this but I think you already have a decent idea of where I am coming from now.

-Peace-
edit on 22-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Freedom is defined by the amount of money one has in order to afford certain liberties.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

You are right But only if you live in the city. If you have 500 acres and you want to put up cardboard houses then that should be your right. Thing is the building inspector said that these buildings went far beyond "minimum code standards" except for plumbing and wiring. If you have no intention of using these things then why should you be required to have them? The only purpose for having them would be resale value of the property.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

LDragonFire

It's a conditional freedom. Like another poster pointed out, you don't want people to have the freedom to build whatever they want, however they want and wherever they want. Trust me when I tell you that that would make for a pretty effective clusterf**k. The good news is that there are so many different zoning, ordinance and land use laws that suit different parts of the country, that a person with enough money and knowledge of the laws can do what you do in the appropriate location.

I would like to purchase property and put a few mobile homes on it, then I wish to build a aquaponic farm, but after research the hoops you must jump from the government this farm is unlikely, but this system can be used to grow live bait of all varieties without so much government regulation.

Would the mobile homes serve a purpose for the farm? Part of the operation? That may be the issue you're running into if you just want to use them for personal use. Multi-use properties are harder to develop than just a residential or just a business property.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Freedom comes in flavors... not one size.

For some... joining an organization which sets their daily schedule and ensures their daily needs are met which frees them to hyper focus on something.

...having a space where they can get the things they need easily but don't have to worry about how the things they need are getting there. They can pick their days.

...it's having a physical space where they can develop without someone telling them how it should be done. Especially people attempting to innovate.

...it's having the skill to take what they want when they want it... and ensuring most people are kept blind to how this is done.

...it's being capable of thinking whatever they want regardless of the circumstance they find themselves in.

It's no wonder there is so much friction and unperceived things at stake when we're talking about Freedom and how to go about creating an environment people feel Free, aye?
edit on 22-11-2013 by BardingTheBard because:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
When an individual looks at something it is always looking at it with business mans eyes - 'what can I do with this, how can it benefit me'.
Nothing can be free when this is the state - the individual enslaves everything and that is why the individual knows nothing about freedom.

Only when it is seen that there is no division - nothing separate - will freedom be known - it is unconditional love.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Freedom is being abandoned and cast out by government. I am a slave as surely as everyone else is.. being disconnected from the tribal earth. Your cdib ( or social security number) is your slave tag.You have a little piece of earth given to you by those who dont own it. You have made yourself a slave by accepting "gifts". Your contract is signed in your blood and the blood of your generations.
So sayeth my dearly departed father.

Me? What do I say?
In 2013.. there wil be no true freedom unless its a state of mind. We have overstepped our bounds and violated every law of nature and abandoned the tribal earth for so long that we require handlers, checks, and balances. We have made sure that we can not have freedom. We have ensured our servitude. These days you have to manipulate things to satisfy your desire for freedom. Im old and have seen those who clamor for freedom dont know what the hell to do with it when they have it. They think its doing whatever you want.. and freedom is far from anarchy. They have no reason behind their want for freedom.. and think rebellion is freedom. Freedom is damned hard. Americans of 2013 are not fit for or worthy of it IMO. Myself included..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join