It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Woman shot by cops in Long Beach, Calif., after refusing to drop fake gun

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I saw my buddy shot in the leg through and through with a .32. No blood came pouring out for a few seconds. He only had on jeans no heavy clothing. Why speak like you actually know when I seriously doubt you do. Also tendancy is to panic as you don't feel the pain but the knock down force makes people panic which is what it looked like she did. Even as she wriggled a bit. She wasnt immediately dead this isnt a movie.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Bilk22
I'm going with staged. I don't have the time now, but there are quite a few issues with this video. The red on the curb is there before she is shot. She eases herself to the ground after being shot multiple times. She actually drops the gun to the side while going to the ground as if she needed her free hand to help herself to the ground. She is not wearing heavy clothing as someone suggested for the lack of blood. She's wearing a t-shirt. She doe not point the gun at the cop, well at least not in a ready shooter position. Clint Eastwood couldn't have shot the cop the way she was holding the gun.

For all you shills and others who say I'm cop bashing, well I have family and friends who are cops. I don't cop bash. Find a thread or post where I derided cops. I suggested this incident is something other than what it appears to be or the cops would have done things differently, if real. That's not cop bashing. That's saying the cops are better trained than what this video portrays. However that means little to those looking to derail a thread.

Have a good day!

Never said heavy clothing....bulky....it is a VERY large tshirt. Where would the blood have come from? You are assuming the bullets were through and through....if they were hollow points they would have mushroomed/fragmented inside.

Have you ever actually SEEN anyone get shot? That is how they look going down....they drop. They don't fly backwards as in the movies with Quentin Tarantino blood spraying everywhere, especially with a 9mm or .40 caliber round. She is also a VERY large lady.

She points the gun in a threatening manner enough to make me believe she will fire and COULD hit someone, whether a cop or a bystander...and seriously...Clint Eastwood? So my guess is you ARE thinking this should look like some movie with that kind of comparison. Clint Eastwood had numerous takes and plenty of acting/scripting with which he could try a few times at getting it right...unfortunately this happens to be REAL life...not a movie.
edit on 11/18/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Vasa Croe

Bilk22
I'm going with staged. I don't have the time now, but there are quite a few issues with this video. The red on the curb is there before she is shot. She eases herself to the ground after being shot multiple times. She actually drops the gun to the side while going to the ground as if she needed her free hand to help herself to the ground. She is not wearing heavy clothing as someone suggested for the lack of blood. She's wearing a t-shirt. She doe not point the gun at the cop, well at least not in a ready shooter position. Clint Eastwood couldn't have shot the cop the way she was holding the gun.

For all you shills and others who say I'm cop bashing, well I have family and friends who are cops. I don't cop bash. Find a thread or post where I derided cops. I suggested this incident is something other than what it appears to be or the cops would have done things differently, if real. That's not cop bashing. That's saying the cops are better trained than what this video portrays. However that means little to those looking to derail a thread.

Have a good day!

Never said heavy clothing....bulky....it is a VERY large tshirt. Where would the blood have come from? You are assuming the bullets were through and through....if they were hollow points they would have mushroomed/fragmented inside.

Have you ever actually SEEN anyone get shot? That is how they look going down....they drop. They don't fly backwards as in the movies with Quentin Tarantino blood spraying everywhere, especially with a 9mm or .40 caliber round. She is also a VERY large lady.

She points the gun in a threatening manner enough to make me believe she will fire and COULD hit someone, whether a cop or a bystander...and seriously...Clint Eastwood? So my guess is you ARE thinking this should look like some movie with that kind of comparison. Clint Eastwood had numerous takes and plenty of acting/scripting with which he could try a few times at getting it right...unfortunately this happens to be REAL life...not a movie.
You can try to sell your stuff to someone else. I'm not buying. She sets the gun aside so she can use her hand to ease herself to the ground. I've watched it over and over. I'll see if I can capture the video and post that sequence in slomo. This person wasn't shot with real bullets. That is clearly obvious.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

According to gazettes.com:

The woman, later identified as Adeline Arroyo, 32, Long Beach, appeared to be hit twice by gunfire, and was transported to the hospital by first responders. She was reported in serious but stable condition on Sunday. Witnesses reported hearing about 10 shots.

www.gazettes.com...

Bilk22 must watch too many shoot-em-ups on TV. People and critters frequently get shot and don't know they're hit , or even fatally hit, for several seconds. She is still alive, but in serious condition. She had plenty of strength and awareness to try to brace for her fall.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Of course, it is simply my default stance now that a cops live holds no more value than a citizen.

And I would go a step further to say a cops life is worth less, simply from the stance that the moment they put on the badge they are knowingly putting their life at risk.

Much akin to a skydiver who dies, I'm not Gonna shed a tear over their life choices.

But that's the problem, the cops view their life as more important than a citizen, and when faces with the risk will choose to era on the side of caution and kill a person with a toy before they even proved the weapon was a weapon.

It is in those instances where a cop kills what is essentially an unarmed person, that we must take a look at policy and procedure.

And I am not un moveable on this, simply strict, there are good cops, ones who put their lives at risk to save and not harm.

Sadly those are drowned out by the militarization of the police forces, leaving only the images of jack booted thugs.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Bilk22

Vasa Croe

Bilk22

Have a good day!

You can try to sell your stuff to someone else. I'm not buying. She sets the gun aside so she can use her hand to ease herself to the ground. I've watched it over and over. I'll see if I can capture the video and post that sequence in slomo. This person wasn't shot with real bullets. That is clearly obvious.

Are you serious....she practically throws the gun aside after being hit....please do post this in slomo and try to quit sensationalizing a pretty local news story. She was shot. Maybe ask your "friends and family that are cops" if she was really shot. They would probably have a MUCH more accurate view on this incident.

Sorry but I can't argue with stupid.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

she was living with her aunt who said she had mental problems and was hearing voices, had a mental breakdown after the breakup with husband and child

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I have seen people get shot on a few occasions 2 were gut shots and not one of them went like the movies the usual reaction was, what just happened and then they would sit or lay down before the pain kicked in. The other occasion a guy was hit in the shoulder and he was screaming like a banshee.

None of these shootings involved the police just gang bangers.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by Bilk22

I have seen people get shot on a few occasions 2 were gut shots and not one of them went like the movies the usual reaction was, what just happened and then they would sit or lay down before the pain kicked in. The other occasion a guy was hit in the shoulder and he was screaming like a banshee.None of these shootings involved the police just gang bangers.

Exactly when someone gets shot it usually takes a sec before you realize. All you know is something hit you hard and loud. If as it probably was a jhp round it wasnt through and through and just dumped all that force into her chest/gut. Akin to being hit witha bat in the chest. You dont get knocked out and you still try to catch yourself. You can see her hit the ground and the pain set in as she starts wriggling a bit. By that point shock sets in and probably loss of conciseness.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

research100
reply to post by benrl

she was living with her aunt who said she had mental problems and was hearing voices, had a mental breakdown after the breakup with husband and child

Poor woman

I can only hope that she'll recover from wounds and get proper medical care in the future.
Justified shootings or not, this is a tragic story.

(post by Mamatus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Tragic situation no matter how you look at it.

This is a perfect example as to why sometimes police officers "unload" a full magazine into the threat. (Now we can argue if this women was a threat all day long so I won't go there)

Pistol calibers are generally sub par in stopping a threat immediately unless a head shot is made. Even then a person doesn't always go down instantaneously.

Unless the shots hit any major arteries you won't see a lot of bleeding. I would guess that is why she survived and there wasn't a lot of visible blood. Also the video ends abruptly after she is shot.

As a police officer I do not value my life more than anyone else, nor do I value it any less. Of course I want to go home to my family at night but I am just as worried if not more about what would happen if I don't stop the threat. Will they kill me then walk into a store and kill more people? It is my job to stay alive and take out the threat so they are no longer a threat to anyone else.

This is also is a perfect example as to why our mental health system needs a serious overhaul. That however is another thread in itself.
edit on 18-11-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

benrl

Of course, it is simply my default stance now that a cops live holds no more value than a citizen.

And I would go a step further to say a cops life is worth less, simply from the stance that the moment they put on the badge they are knowingly putting their life at risk.

Much akin to a skydiver who dies, I'm not Gonna shed a tear over their life choices.

But that's the problem, the cops view their life as more important than a citizen, and when faces with the risk will choose to era on the side of caution and kill a person with a toy before they even proved the weapon was a weapon.

It is in those instances where a cop kills what is essentially an unarmed person, that we must take a look at policy and procedure.

And I am not un moveable on this, simply strict, there are good cops, ones who put their lives at risk to save and not harm.

Sadly those are drowned out by the militarization of the police forces, leaving only the images of jack booted thugs.

No one should needlessly have to risk there life your statement is stupid. Do we send fireman into burning buildings without equipment? wouldm you expect a fireman to risk his life entering a burning building to save someone if he knew hed get killed trying? Fireman make this call all the time and oddly they side on self preservation even though they accepted the risks as you say. No police officer should have to needlessly be shot just to find out if a gun is real i mean are you serious? So in your world an officer should never shoot anyone until theyve been hit by a bullet wow that makes absolutely no sense.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by intrepid

to answer your question, Twice in my life I have faced a gun. Neither time (despite being armed) was it necessary to shoot the other person fatally. One guy was inside my home, the other time trying to take my motorcycle at gun point.

Both times I lived and did not draw my weapon. It makes me ill to see you got so many stars for your reply to me. With attitudes like yours this kind of # will never stop. Some asshat will always defend excessive force.

Well, it would be foolish to try to draw your gun if the perp had a bead on you.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Very true. That being said comparing what firemen do to what police officers do is like comparing apples to toilet paper.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

First off there is no fatally or not. If you draw you shoot to kill...that being said I guess its truly up to you to decide if they pose enough threat. Its a personal choice you have to live with and no one else. So I guess trying to point out how you didn't shoot as opposed to someone who did is moot. The officers felt justified and the law backs it...simple.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

One odd thing about the video for me was that although I could clearly hear traffic, airplanes/helicopters overhead and the gunshots, I never heard any voices from the cops or the woman. I could barely hear what sounded like a voice over an electronic bullhorn but I couldn't make out the words (if that's even what it was), and it seems that it should have been much louder/clearer in the vid especially after hearing the volume of the shots.

Maybe it was just along distance shot and the only sound that carried clearly was the gunfire?

I assume the cops were yelling at her to drop her weapon, no?

Odd...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Lady looks entirely crazy, she is walking like a zombie with that gun in her hand.
Cops did the right thing.

As in the article, what ELSE do you do when a person with a firearm walks towards you? It's a LETHAL thread.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Here's another view of this incident. The first one has a false perspective. The woman looks like she's right next to the cop. She was about 100ft away - possibly more. Just look at these brave men. I'm still suspicious of this incident. She sets the gun down. She drops the jacket and in that same hand, she has something she also tosses to the ground. This isn't what it appears to be,

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Where do you see her put the gun down at?

I'm at a loss not sure what your looking at.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join