It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is this fish-shaped, furry bug???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My sister is in Florida, visiting a relative. While we were on the phone, she described a weird insect she noticed in the back yard. I asked her to take a pic of it. Below are the two she sent. The first is a profile view, the second is an overhead shot.

I asked her about the size because there is nothing in the pics for comparison. She said it's small-- less than half an inch!

Never seen anything like it. Have you, ATS?

It bears the shape of a fish, and has fur that looks like my cat's!

Anybody with any knowledge of what this is, please chime in. Thanking you in advance!

Also, in this second one... where the heck is the head?
edit on 11/14/2013 by new_here because: Typo in the Title... Ooops!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I know what it is....it's cute.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Cool never seen anything like it, from the side view, unless my eyes are playing tricks, it looks like it might have wings. maybe some type of moth?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Ha! Well, I'd tell her to bring it home for you, but I don't think she wants to pick it up.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just make you sure she doesn't get it wet or feed it after midnight

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
www.mnn.com...

Careful she doesn't pick it up, it has spines and venom.
edit on 14-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Looks like a scale insect to me.
Not all of them are armored.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Ragnarokkr
Cool never seen anything like it, from the side view, unless my eyes are playing tricks, it looks like it might have wings. maybe some type of moth?

Maybe so-- I may call her and ask her if she could detect wings on it-- since she had a chance to look at it from so many more angles.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Kudos!
That is it... a puss caterpillar.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

rickymouse
www.mnn.com...

OMG-- I think we have a winner!!! It looks exactly like the pic she took, rickymouse.

I've already emailed her that link and getting ready to call her to make sure she steers clear of that... that... thing!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
What ever you don't touch it, they sting like the dickens, those hairs are venomous.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

rickymouse
www.mnn.com...

And yet, once again, cute, adorable and fuzzy proves to be dangerous. Look at that thing...it's so cute and fuzzy. I wonder how many children (and adult suckers for cute--like me) go into "shock and respiratory distress" over that little cute caterpillar.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yikes!!

And here I was going to suggest that it was a baby Tribble.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

signalfire
Yikes!!

And here I was going to suggest that it was a baby Tribble.

LMAO, that was my immediate thought, too.

Oh we're old Star Trek nerds, aren't we? But hey, our initial thoughts were close because that tribble wannabe is troublesome, too.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

rickymouse
www.mnn.com...

And yet, once again, cute, adorable and fuzzy proves to be dangerous. Look at that thing...it's so cute and fuzzy. I wonder how many children (and adult suckers for cute--like me) go into "shock and respiratory distress" over that little cute caterpillar.

I can answer that question: A LOT. Many years ago, when I was stationed in Texas, they had an outbreak of these things (they were called "tree asps" there). And, as you suggest, a lot of people thought they were just the cutest things.

Needless to say, the authorities were papering the countryside with warnings. Even so there were a lot of grievous consequences....

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

rickymouse
www.mnn.com...

You know my ex-wife?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

rickymouse
www.mnn.com...

I know, right?! I called my sister after rickymouse identified it, because she is an animal-lover-to-beat-all, and I'd never forgive myself if she tried to cuddle it before she read my email!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Ex_CT2

Many years ago, when I was stationed in Texas, they had an outbreak of these things (they were called "tree asps" there). And, as you suggest, a lot of people thought they were just the cutest things.

Needless to say, the authorities were papering the countryside with warnings. Even so there were a lot of grievous consequences....

Yikes... any deaths?

I hope they aren't fixing to 'outbreak' anywhere soon. My aunt's lived in Florida most of her life and had never seen one of these. (She's in her 80's) My sister said the darn thing was crawling towards her hand on the rail of my aunt's porch. So I kinda wonder... do they just crawl up and impale you with their venomous spines, or just what?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

I don't recall there being any deaths. Possibly, you know, someone with asthma or some other debilitating condition maybe. But I don't really recall (this was 1969).

But no, they don't "attack," per se; apparently if you try to pick one up it stiffens the spines and breaks the skin. Still, I wouldn't want to wait and see what happened if one crawled up on me [*shiver*]. And you wouldn't want your pets or your barefoot kids stepping on one....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It's called a Megalopyge opercularis

new topics

top topics

join