It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of sex offenders inside schools across Colorado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

DENVER – Every morning when the school bell rings, kids flood into classrooms thinking about the homework assignment they still need to complete or the test they have to ace.

It’s not about the student sitting next to them, who may be a registered sex offender.

We were told the Colorado Bureau of Investigation doesn’t keep track of those numbers, so we went through hundreds of records and found a little more than 300 offenders, 17 and younger, who were required to register under state law.

The registered teenage sex offenders have been convicted of crimes like rape, incest and sexual assault; the youngest on the list, five 12-year-olds.

Source
So isn't that lovely... you and I may be sending our kids into the hands of sex offenders...

The following is a breakdown of offenses. But remember CBI doesn't keep track of these kids

Total sex offenders 17 and under: 304 (at least)
Sex assault: 222
Sex offense: 63
5 registered offenders 12 years old

17 years old – 106 total
Born 1996
Sex assault: 71
Sex offense: 26
Incest with minor: 5
Public order crimes: 1
Arson – business endangered live: 1

16 years old – 82 total
Born 1997
Sex assault: 59
Sex offense: 19
Incest with minor: 4

15 years old – 60 total
Born 1998
Sex assault: 47
Sex offense: 8
Indecent exposure to minor: 2
Incest with minor: 1
Rape: 1
Unknown: 1

14 years old – 35 total
Born 1999
Sex assault: 27
sex offense: 7
Incest with minor: 1

13 years old – 16 total
Born 2000
Sex assault: 14
Sex offense: 2

12 years old – 5 total
Born 2001
Sex assault: 4
Sex offense: 1

If you read the story they go on to say how the School districts are prohibited from telling parents and other students about who and what these classmates have done... IN CO at least I'd have to buy a list of offenders then cross check that with a list of kids who attend my daughters school.

Furthermore the school does establish a safety plan for said students and they are watched, but come on, we all know how chaotic a school/classroom can be, esp. around lunch time, before and after school...it only takes a moment of inattention...

Under the law these kids have a right to public education... but don't we the parents have a right to know if our child has a sex offender for a classmate? Shouldn't we, and as a student, wouldn't you like to know who your sitting next to?

This story only focused on Colorado, the greater Denver metro area... what about the rest of the country... what about where you live... who are these kids and do they go to school with your kids?
edit on 12-11-2013 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

So isn't that lovely... you and I may be sending our kids into the hands of sex offenders...

The following is a breakdown of offenses. But remember CBI doesn't keep track of these ki

Uhh… isn't this a testament to criminalizing children more so then the number of "registered sex offenders" under the age of 18 "preying on your children".

So what, before they made laws that would make kids sex offenders there were none? What are we aiming for here, a world where only 20% of people make it out of school with clean slates and the rest are all drug dealers, sex offenders, violent criminals, etc…

Bottom line is the behaviour is nothing new, but how we react is entirely different.
edit on 12-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The bottom line is as a parent my job is to protect my kids from ne'er do wells of any type...

would you let your kids out into the yard knowing there was a rattle snake out there???

would you let you neighbors kids???

Look I know I can't protect my kids from everything and everyone... but if you know someone is a potential threat then give me the curiosity of letting me know... getting my kids into a different school or class... But don't keep me in the dark then apologize after something goes horribly wrong

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

would you let your kids out into the yard knowing there was a rattle snake out there???

Anyone who sends their kid to public or private school sends their kids to a place with a murderer in it.
Because one day, one of those kids will end up killing someone. Should we all lock our kids in the basement until they become of age?

It sounds like propaganda, half-stories, a twisted truth of reality.

but if you know someone is a potential threat then give me the curiosity of letting me know... getting my kids into a different school or class... But don't keep me in the dark then apologize after something goes horribly wrong

Yes, "potential threats", which leads to witch burning. Stigma is a poison in the western world, way to make it worse.

Kids are deemed sex offenders now if they send pictures of themselves to each other, have relations with each other but considered not "lawful" because of their ages.

I am merely thinking back to when I was in school. A large number of kids could have been arrested and given criminal records for their behaviour. Grade 8 kids were sleeping around. At least a dozen or so in my grade. Below the age of consent.

Drugs. Fights, etc.

Hell, you could have put half my junior class in jail. What that would accomplish in the long run is beyond me. Oh and they we had a teacher who was well known for being a creep with the girls in class, he managed to get by for years before anyone caught on.

I guess if you criminalize kids than you know who the "potential threats" are. Make them wear scarlet letters!
edit on 12-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Are you kidding? What, you want a list of every kids that might potentially do something wrong so you can wring your hands and pace in paranoia about it every night? Yeah, I am sure you would think differently if your kid ended up on the thought police list sent out to all the other parents.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If playing nasty would of been a crime when I was a kid.

I would be a Felon. Along with the rest of my block.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The bottom line is as a parent my job is to protect my kids from ne'er do wells of any type...

Another huge problem mentality of parents these days. I would say it is your job to teach your children how to protect themselves, not coddle them. You want to really help them, put them in a jujitsu or some other useful martial art class.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

whyamIhere

Well in many states it is a felon for a minor to engage in sex. That is why there are so many teens listed as sex offenders. They didn't necessarily commit any type of violent assault, they could have been engaged in completely consentual activities and still get charged as a sex offender.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You know, I have met someone who grew up on a list like that- he and i helped a mutual friend move over the course of 3 days and he was so troubled that was enough time to get his story. He did something out of confusion during puberty, and where most people get their butt kicked and have a rough 4 years of highschool for copping their first feel on the wrong person, in his case he ended up arrested for it, did time in juvie, and thanks to the state's efforts to correct him he ended up a profoundly troubled person with several drug and sexual issues. The poor kid was no predator- he was a chronic victim- "i'll show you mine if..." turned into locked up with older boys in the same boat and anti-depressants.

Now at this point in his life the damage is probably done- if I'd had kids they wouldn't have been anywhere near that guy by the time I met him, and some day he will go to jail forever because he's a registered sex offender who likes to mix prescription stimulants and risky sex. But once upon a time he was a highschool kid who made a mistake, and everything could have been OK if people who didn't understand hadn't classified him the same way the kids in this study are being classified.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder

whyamIhere

Well in many states it is a felon for a minor to engage in sex. That is why there are so many teens listed as sex offenders. They didn't necessarily commit any type of violent assault, they could have been engaged in completely consentual activities and still get charged as a sex offender.

This is just dumb...

Nanny State busy bodies...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 12-11-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Well, considering that you can get placed on the sex registry for public urination I have stopped paying attention to them. Totally useless and horrible in regard to civil rights.

Most rapes happen by someone that is close to the victim. It is usually not strangers.

Best way to prevent your kid from being raped is to pay close attention to your friends and family that have access to them.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

perhaps we should ask our selves why children are getting labled as sex offenders these days compared to deccades past when some of their actions would be chocked up to kids being kids (like some kids played dr as a kid for example) sure some kids may be future full on pedos but the way some kids are getting labeled at ages of 5 and 6 as sex offenders for being curious about little suzy or bobby in their class . im more worried about the possible pedos teaching classes like that one case that came to ats attention where the district defending their pedophile teacher then the kids personally. hell in some jurisdictions getting caught peeing in public can get you the label of sex offender

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The offender list is just bad business as has been stated many times. Offenders can work at our company because all cases are reviewed by HR and I mean the whole group of HR people. the local college decided to kick out offenders till the lawyers stepped in and made them realize they had no real policy

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You mean the kids who have parents that post on "conspiracy theorist" boards?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Until age of consent laws have fat near age exceptions I am not sure how many of these sex offenders are really predators and how many are simply young people who engaged in consentual sex and got caught.

Also, even if they are real sex offenders I think revealing that to entire school and parents is a very bad idea because of the stigma it carries, particularly during teen years. If the offenders did their time then leave them be just let the school administration keep an eye on them, thats all. The entire institution of sex offender registry is at best questionable even for adults, kids should not even be on it.
edit on 12/11/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
so, under 18 allowed inside the school, once 18 not allowed within a few hundred feet of a school?

wow, what a place.. if you haven't been Home Schooling kids, this is another reason to do so.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Maslo
Until age of consent laws have fat near age exceptions I am not sure how many of these sex offenders are really predators and how many are simply young people who engaged in consentual sex and got caught.

Also, even if they are real sex offenders I think revealing that to entire school and parents is a very bad idea because of the stigma it carries, particularly during teen years. If the offenders did their time then leave them be just let the school administration keep an eye on them, thats all. The entire institution of sex offender registry is at best questionable even for adults, kids should not even be on it.
edit on 12/11/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

sick little perverts are WORSE for doing things this heinous! probably most of the cases are a bunch of gangster wannabe urban youths and how they like to "tagteam" girls. 5-7 boys 13-16yrs old left alone with say a 11 yr old girl?

worst kind of animals. sex offenders are

new topics

top topics

join