It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO: Need Help Identifying. Video Taken 12 Miles Off Coast Of Florida

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

I was visiting family recently and my uncle showed me something he captured while 12 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida, recently. He was transporting his new bought sailboat from Panama City traveling West. When I saw the video he took with his iphone, I was stunned and stumped all the same. I told him about helping him get it up on Youtube and showing you guys here to see if you could pick it apart and give some idea of what it might be. The details are stunning!

Important Note: The original video uploaded to Youtube is MUCH MUCH cleaner and pristine than the one displaying here on YouTube. The only problem is, detail is lost in the conversion because YouTube had to turn the video to the right. The original is turned to the left, showing everything sideways, but the quality is amazing! I wish I knew of a way to get you guys to see the original without the loss of quality shown here in the YouTube version. The original is 9+ megs at 1280 X 720 and a bitrate of 2500 and 23 fps. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the original displayed here with no compression issues and no loss of quality, please let me know. I've tried a few different editing programs and I've found that the reason is that every one of them tries to turn the video correctly but quality is lost in the "fix". YouTube will not display it as VLC player does, which is the best viewing. I will also post a few screen captures from VLC so you guys and gals can see what I mean.

So, without further adieu...

The details:

About 12 - 14 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, between Destin and Pensacola Florida:
- We left out of Panama City heading West, following the coast
- Object is less than a mile away from me, South East over the Gulf.
- Nearest land is between 12 and 14 miles, North.
- Object duration was about 3 minutes or so.
- As you can see in the video, the lights were so bright that they illuminated the water but they did not glow. They were very bright and defined. You can also notice that as a light to the right appears, one at the end of the train vanishes. This goes on for a while till suddenly all lights go out together at the same time, like someone just turns off a light switch. There was no sounds associated with the object or objects.
- You can see how the lights not only seem to go from left to right, but towards me as though they were changing direction from left to right, then forward, then left to right again.
- Notice also that the lights seem to split from one original point and move out some of the time.
- The following day, we stopped at Gulfport to take on fuel and 3 Customs agents arrived on a fast boat to check us out. I asked one if he knew of anything happening out there that could explain what went on and he said that they did not see anything but there were "all kinds of weird # out there".

I ask, does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Anyone know of a simple explanation as to what this could be?

Images: (remember, these images are sideways, taken from the original video)

What do you think?

I have added a link to the original file so you can download and see it more clearly than YouTube provides.

Please watch fullscreen and with VLC player. It's free and will display it to the fullest potential. It is sideways but I think this is because of the way the iPhone recorded the file to get the most from the recording.

Download Original MOV file

VLC Media Player (Free and VERY Worth it)

edit on 29-10-2013 by StallionDuck because: added images

edit on 29-10-2013 by StallionDuck because: Added link to original file

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The object(s) don't seem too high above the water. Another boat perhaps. Maybe a group of fishing boats tied together??

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Illegal fishermen, legal fishermen.....people in boats relaxing, they look like boats to me too. There is nothing to show them in the air, the lights look like they are pretty much at sea level, or the level you would expect to see lights on a boat.

ll have a closer look in a moment, but from your video i do not see anything that could be called a ufo...for the sheer fact the lights are so close to the water. There are lots of reasonable explanations for lights at sea, UFO is probably bottom of that pile.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

catfishjoe
The object(s) don't seem too high above the water. Another boat perhaps. Maybe a group of fishing boats tied together??

The objects were in the air on a clear night. No fishing boats. He's been piloting boats for all of his life so that would have registered to him if it were the case. Were the light starts below the image, as you can see in the pictures is where the water begins from the sky. He did mention they were not high up and not very far away, only a mile from where he was. That's REALLY close.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Rotating light on a boat?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

StallionDuck

catfishjoe

The objects were in the air on a clear night. No fishing boats. He's been piloting boats for all of his life so that would have registered to him if it were the case. Were the light starts below the image, as you can see in the pictures is where the water begins from the sky. He did mention they were not high up and not very far away, only a mile from where he was. That's REALLY close.

There is no possible way he can determine how far away they are.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Let me try to clear up any misconceptions here about boats on the water.

If anyone here knows anything about the ocean/gulf/water in day or night, you will understand clearly what I mean. I will show examples.

As you can see in these images, the horizon is always where the point of light begins. This is how I rule out any possibility that it's a boat. Besides... Lets just say that it IS a boat. How exactly do you think a boat does this? How would you imagine that the lights on the boat splits off into multiple lights to continue in a direction from it's source?

You can also see when I convert the image to a black an white and enhance it, where the horizon is in reference to the lights and the reflection. That line is where the sky and the water seem to meet.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
To me, looks like the reflection of the moon on a clear night bouncing off the water. I see the trail of the moon light coming towards you on the water, too. It all seems to be in alignment. Maybe it's an illusion with the water .

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

JayinAR

StallionDuck

catfishjoe

Of course you can. How do you come by that?

I'm starting to get the impression that many of you haven't been on the water much.

You CAN determine how far off it is, even at night.

Here is a clue... How far do you think you can see out over the water on a clear day/night? I bet the answer amazes you. It's usually less than 10 miles. Those lights are far closer than 10 miles. Anyone that has spent time on the water can judge that distance easily.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

1. Not nearly enough data to determine anything.
2. Least of all distance.
3. Bearing in mind you have no idea of distance, the boat could easily be very close and the gap between the source of light and the "horizon" could easily be the hull of the boat itself.
4. Don't insult people by implying we have no knowledge of water.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

StallionDuck

JayinAR

StallionDuck

catfishjoe

Of course you can. How do you come by that?

I'm starting to get the impression that many of you haven't been on the water much.

You CAN determine how far off it is, even at night.

Here is a clue... How far do you think you can see out over the water on a clear day/night? I bet the answer amazes you. It's usually less than 10 miles. Those lights are far closer than 10 miles. Anyone that has spent time on the water can judge that distance easily.

I know exactly how far it is.
On the ocean (level land), it is 7 miles.
It isn't USUALLY anything.
It is seven miles.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ok so after looking at the video in more detail it does appear to be above the water, but it also appears to be much closer than the mile stated by the OP. If i was a betting man id put money on it being a quadcopter fitted with some LED's.

Making up a story to go along with some edited footage, lights in the sky, no way to prove the boat was where you say it was when filming...this is turning out to be a typical hoax. I know im quick to jump to assumptions, but although it seems much effort was put in fabricating a plausible story, the actual "craft" and editing point towards poorly though out hoax.

Why didnt he film the "UFO" flying away? Wheres the rest of the footage??

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

JayinAR

1. Not nearly enough data to determine anything.
2. Least of all distance.
3. Bearing in mind you have no idea of distance, the boat could easily be very close and the gap between the source of light and the "horizon" could easily be the hull of the boat itself.
4. Don't insult people by implying we have no knowledge of water.

1. There is enough data to know well enough that it isn't a boat, or at least any way a boat reacts in any manner that I have seen.
2. False!
3. Again, show me any example at all where you see a boat act this way. Of course you would also need to show how a boat would fly above the water a considerable distance. If it was possibly far away, then the object would be WAY above the water. The only way the object would be near the water is if the object was directly in front of you, feet away.
4. I didn't insult anyone. I plainly stated my opinion based on my knowledge of water that everyone that mentioned boats doesn't seem to know much about reflections on water. How is that insulting people when there is truth in it? I showed you examples. Prove me wrong. Counter my argument. This is a forum for exactly that. I suggest you do the same. If the counter information isn't to your liking, then do as I have done and try to prove it. Otherwise you're just guessing.

I'll guess with you:

It's a giraffe
It's a flock of seagulls
It's a rock!

Hows does any of that make it right without at least showing your work? If you do that and I disagree and show you why and how, then please get with the program and offer some counter argument. Show me facts. If you say that there is no way to tell distance, I say that bullcocky. People determine distance ALL THE TIME, even at night when giving information on UFOs and sightings of any kind.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You don't have an argument to counter.
You have ZERO DATA.

You have a light and some water.
ZERO data to draw any calculations from whatsoever.

Your argument is dead in the water (pardon the pun)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
So far I find it interesting. Why is the vid so short though, SD?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

AmberLeaf
Ok so after looking at the video in more detail it does appear to be above the water, but it also appears to be much closer than the mile stated by the OP. If i was a betting man id put money on it being a quadcopter fitted with some LED's.

Making up a story to go along with some edited footage, lights in the sky, no way to prove the boat was where you say it was when filming...this is turning out to be a typical hoax. I know im quick to jump to assumptions, but although it seems much effort was put in fabricating a plausible story, the actual "craft" and editing point towards poorly though out hoax.

Why didn't he film the "UFO" flying away? Wheres the rest of the footage??

No hoax involved but you dont have to believe me. I think that if it was going to be a hoax, it would be better than a few pin points of light.

The reason there is so little video is that he was navigating the boat. What you see is the whole of the video captured, converted from an MOV file. I have the original for anyone that would like to look deeper into it, rather than just guessing. Guessing is easy and something we've done ourselves. What it was brought here for was to look deeper than simply guessing.

It wasn't meant to be "oh no! let me report this to the media and get news attention". It was simply something he noticed and captured footage of it. It could very well be a heli with LEDs. The idea was to get it here and let you guys pic it apart and see what you think it was. It was not meant to be proof of alien life, little green men or anything of the kind. It was simply weirdness that he captured, I took interest in and pushed it out here to get another idea of what it could be. We couldn't come up with any plausible idea of what it could be. It most certainly is not a hoax, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
if he was south of destin, i'm gonna say flares.
eglin AFB is in ft. walton just about 5 to ten miles away. hulbert feild afb is right on the gulf 10 to 15 miles away.
tindale afb is in panama city.

i live one mile north of eglin. the past month i can hear them bombing, they do it all the the time.
also i think hulbert has a navy buds traning at hurlbert.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

JayinAR

You have ZERO DATA.

*Scratches Head*

Really???? So that's your answer huh? No data whatsoever...

Then please move on. Nothing more for you to see here.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

StallionDuck

AmberLeaf

Why didn't he film the "UFO" flying away? Wheres the rest of the footage??

No hoax involved but you dont have to believe me. I think that if it was going to be a hoax, it would be better than a few pin points of light.

The reason there is so little video is that he was navigating the boat. What you see is the whole of the video captured, converted from an MOV file. I have the original for anyone that would like to look deeper into it, rather than just guessing. Guessing is easy and something we've done ourselves. What it was brought here for was to look deeper than simply guessing.

It wasn't meant to be "oh no! let me report this to the media and get news attention". It was simply something he noticed and captured footage of it. It could very well be a heli with LEDs. The idea was to get it here and let you guys pic it apart and see what you think it was. It was not meant to be proof of alien life, little green men or anything of the kind. It was simply weirdness that he captured, I took interest in and pushed it out here to get another idea of what it could be. We couldn't come up with any plausible idea of what it could be. It most certainly is not a hoax, though.

Unless the extended version of this video has some sort of point of reference, it will stand as inconclusive.

Sorry to break it to ya. Its just how it is.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

StallionDuck

JayinAR

You have ZERO DATA.

*Scratches Head*

Really???? So that's your answer huh? No data whatsoever...

Then please move on. Nothing more for you to see here.

Sorry bro. I offered my best guess immediately. Your retort was that we don't know the water, or some such.

You were condescending. So I think I will stick around a bit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join