It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont libraries carry more ebooks???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Its so dang HARD to find GOOD books in my library's ebooks section, so I decided to sign up with some other ebook borrowing websites, such as booklending.com and open library, but these books are all CHECKED OUT!!!
If its an EBOOK, there should ALWAYS be a copy available!!!
Whats up with that???

*one very frustrated reader*

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I'm sorry..but why not pick up a real book and read? Why does it have to be an ebook? It puts more strain on my eyes to read a screen for long periods of time... I know...to each their own. I just seem to be nat the curious cat today...

I just love the smell of a paperback book. I love being able to flip a flap to mark my spot and I really love just being able to hold a book in my hand.

Peace and love
-nat

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I get all my ebooks from the internet. If you use the ePub format then they are everywhere.
I've got about 3k books on my nook right now, and another 5 Gb worth on my HDD.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I do too, but I like to read at night, and like to read on vacation.
I take my ipad with me on vacation, and the hardest decision i have is what books to bring, so i take my ipad and i can take em all

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand. Are you complaining about not owning a personal computer by which to access the thousands of ebooks available on the internet? Or are you complaining that your local library doesn't offer enough free digital books?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

Dude! you got sci fi???
Youre my new best friend LOL

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The only reason I do ereaders is that I love reading classics, and pretty much any piece of classic literature (from Hobbs and Malthus to Dickens and Twain) is available for free in ePub format. No complaints about availability there.

Now, if you want current stuff, the eBook is often nearly as expensive as the printed copy. I don't get that.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'm always torrenting ebooks, and I have lots of Sci-Fi.
You just have to start looking online, and there should be plenty.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It all comes down to licencing and DRM. The lenders are only allotted so many licences and to lend out more copies than they have licences for would risk a nasty lawsuit.

I am all for free information and i do not agree with the way pricing is done for ebooks, but i do understand the desire for the authors to get paid for what they wrote. Opening the door to unlimited copies of an ebook to be lent out would result in there being no reason to purchase the ebook.

I am really surprised they even have options to borrow ebooks in the first place.

DC

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I find it very hard to sympathize with your rant, especially since it's 2013 and there's this wonderful thing called the internet. With the internet, you have access to thousands upon thousands of e-books at your disposal. Some are free, others may cost you, but with how many people offer them, you can find many deals out there.

It's very similar to people complaining in the town I live in, that they can't find anything around town. Or hearing complaints at the music store that there's no listening station for them to sample their cd, because they want to make sure they like the songs. Well, amazon.com and youtube.com can do wonders for those people.

To be honest, you should be happy that your library does have e-books available, rather than being upset that they don't have the ones you like.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just like the hard copies of a book, libraries only purchase a certain number of digital copies. Any new book or current bestseller would probably have a wait list for the hard copies, so it stands to reason that the digital copies would too. Older titles and classics tend to be readily available.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Why dont libraries carry more ebooks???

Seriously?

Homer you do know libraries are basically book holders right?

If libraries didn't hold physical books, then there would be no library, simply a computer terminal for you to download.
edit on 28-10-2013 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Necrobile

My library has a total of FIVE ebooks, that's it.

top topics

join