It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont know where to post this....but I am so offended

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

I agree, last night I went to one of the larger bars here in my area, I have a little German in my bloodline, and I see this guy and his girl wearing lederhosen and I about went off!
Then I see this guy wearing a caveman loincloth, my ancestors were cavemen....and cave women as well.
Lucky for them I was in a chill mood last night!

Relax abit tiger, cowboys don't get offended when they look down from the happy hunting ground and see city boys wearing Stetsons.
I never did mention my color did I? Hmmm.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Spookybelle

akushla99

alfa1

Xcouncil=wisdom
Have you seen this..a little girl saying she is an American indian is offended by people dressing up as an actual native American?

I'm offended that native americans dress up as "westerners". Cultural appropriation, thats what it is. They're not europeans, so they shouldnt be allowed to wear our culture's clothing.

(works both ways, doesnt it? Or is racism just a one way street?)

That has to be a joke...cultural appropriation of forced assimilation? I don't remember there being 'reservations' for any colonising culture (and that word should be used with utmost care)...and to be specific,it would be a form of culturism (if that exists)...colonising and forced assimilation is a one-way street...

Å99

Don't forget, it was the Native Americans that conducted the first massacre in the New World known as America and had no problem starving out women and children because it benefitted them.

Starving women and children of what ethnic background?...I also notice you've used the moniker 'native'...Did the 'natives' dub it the 'New World'?...who did this, and for what reason?

Å99

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

superman2012

akushla99

alfa1

Xcouncil=wisdom
Have you seen this..a little girl saying she is an American indian is offended by people dressing up as an actual native American?

I'm offended that native americans dress up as "westerners". Cultural appropriation, thats what it is. They're not europeans, so they shouldnt be allowed to wear our culture's clothing.

That has to be a joke...cultural appropriation of forced assimilation? I don't remember there being 'reservations' for any colonising culture (and that word should be used with utmost care)...and to be specific,it would be a form of culturism (if that exists)...colonising and forced assimilation is a one-way street...

Å99

Forced assimilation didn't happen to anyone but Indians?!? Perhaps you need to check the history books again.

That's pretty much a null question...it ain't what I said...in actual fact I never mentioned Indians...I said 'I don't remember there being 'reservations' for any COLONISING culture...I don't reside in US...Are/were there any 'reservations/ghettos' built for the COLONISING parties?

I won't comment on your comprehension skills of what I wrote...

With respect

Å99

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

BobM88
Why was nobody offended when Elizabeth Warren impersonated a Native American?

No doubt there was someone, but not as much as when that flamin' sheila impersonated an Australian.

"A dingow Stowle me baybeee"

actually, she did orrite...

edit on 27-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

MichaelPMaccabee

beezzer
You can tell peoples ethnicity by their posts!

You can't? I mean, it isn't even thinly veiled...

Are you ok there, need a shave or something??

Who is wearing the veil, apparently it stinks...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

*yawn*

You have become boring. Ennui. Lookit up.

Have a nice day.

Wait..

You're not a white rabbit?

Well this thread is full of surprises. Oo

*puts the radio down, gets out of the tub*

damn.. there goes a perfectly good night...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by overratedpatriotism

I raised three boys and believe it or not they never played cowboys and Indians. They played soldiers crawling in the mud till their underwear was black with it. They said it was the rice paddies of Vietnam. They played street gang and police. BUT no cowboys and indians. What year is it again???

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

My family goes back several generations so that I do not consider us Europeans. Do you think we are? We are Americans. So are the original natives to this land . Oh yeah that was two hundred years ago . Let it go already. We were not those people. We don't think like them or act like them. It's history. Like the slave issue. We didn't own them and we weren't kept as one. Those people are all dead. We don't think like them or act like them. It's history .

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Doesn't anyone consider themselves American? Just American. Not Italian american or German american or African american but just plain old American ? Doesn't this country have citizens of its own ?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I saw a man in a kilt yesterday. Right on the streets of Hampton Virginia in broad daylight. I said there's a man in a skirt and was promptly corrected. It's a kilt I was told firmly. Lol

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

akushla99

superman2012

akushla99

alfa1

Xcouncil=wisdom

Å99

Forced assimilation didn't happen to anyone but Indians?!? Perhaps you need to check the history books again.

That's pretty much a null question...it ain't what I said...in actual fact I never mentioned Indians...I said 'I don't remember there being 'reservations' for any COLONISING culture...I don't reside in US...Are/were there any 'reservations/ghettos' built for the COLONISING parties?

With respect

Å99

My apologies, I read/understood your post replying to a member about Indians wrongly, it happens. Really no need to be rude about it though...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Not the source, the message and how those that "choose" to be offended by nothing react and run with it pointing and calling someone a racist like in a playground with people with no social skills. I care not of the source, and laugh at the message...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

In my opnion it's just another thing the Europeans do which shows they have no regard for Native American culture or pride. Unless the costume is worn by someone ready to describe atrocities & injustices endured by Native Americans.
A couple years ago it was a trend in the fashion industry, Native American-inspired accessories & patterns. While I dont begrudge the wearer of small "token" items derivative of Native American arts, I do think the industry should seek out Native American suppliers & offer publicity & profits. However, the instances of people (nonNatives) wearing HEADRESSES to things like Coachella which are distasteful, offensive, & embarrassing.
This reminds me of the Noble Savage terminology, one of the early slights against Native Americans in the perception-molding intent by Europeans to handle public relations re:manifest destiny & the casualties which would result.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezzer & Maccabee, you guys made me sorry I read that far into the thread. What an embarrassment to the ATS community. I should just ignore you but too many people do that w/posters like that and it's become a thing like children misbehaving in public, they should be pointed out.
Blehhhh. Please!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

superman2012

akushla99

superman2012

akushla99

alfa1

Xcouncil=wisdom

Å99

With respect

Å99

My apologies, I read/understood your post replying to a member about Indians wrongly, it happens. Really no need to be rude about it though...

My apologies to you...if you misunderstood, you misunderstood - you explained that...and can choose to ignore something directed at a misunderstanding.

Å99

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I watched the video. And I thought about it a while before I decided to write my response.

First of all, I am pro allowing children express themselves as long as they are truly expressing their points of view. If they are simply parroting the views of their parents, that feels a wrong to me. However, knowing my children, how intelligent they are, how they think about what goes on in the world and their opinions on various topics, it does not surprise me that this little girl has an opinion on something she feels hurts her feelings.

Now as far as when she asks everyone not to dress up in Native American costumes, this is my thought.

I am part Native American. I know I am Cherokee, Hopi, Hunk Papa Sioux, Shawnee and Chickamagua. I have worked literally for years trying to map my heritage, and it has been difficult because my family began hiding their heritage around the time of the trail of tears. As did many others. In fact, because they chose not to live on the reservations, many were not allowed to participate in the programs that were set up for Native Americans. Others chose to assimilate as white and considered their Native American heritage a shame.

I am proud of my Native American heritage, as I am of all my ancestors. I teach my children from whom and where they come. If my families had followed different paths, I might be speaking from a reservation, but I am not. I did not live that life. Instead, I have lived one of searching for my heritage. And grasping for it every way I can, which is reading about it, participating in Pow Wows, appreciating Native American Art and music. And as my children grew, allowing them, when they chose to express themselves by dressing in Native American themed attire.

I am only about 10% Native American. My children, however are about 60%. Their father is full blooded Alaskan Native. They have not been raised tribally, but they know their heritage.

I think in asking people not to dress as Native American's, it needs to be explained why. It needs to be made clear that it isn't just the theme of dress, the buckskin clothing, shoes and belts, or the fake bow and arrow. It is the fact that the feathers and head dresses have spiritual meaning to the Native Americans. As do the various face paint. If you ever want to know more, go to a local Pow Wow, talk to the people who are dancing there.

There are always two sides to every story. This is one that can be seen with respect from both sides.

BT

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Clearly she is NOT native American but has been brainwashed by one or both of her parents who want to feel special, well it was either that or tell her that she was an Indigo child lol

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
As a honky my personal understanding of racism is essentially nothing.

I do however get slightly miffed when I see Americans mock Australia on TV with bad accents, dress etc.
I can only assume that would be magnified greatly if Americans once slaughtered distant relatives on mass.

In regards to people saying it's not their fault. That's true, individually we are not to blame but we are still advantaged because of past atrocities. Louis CK can say it so much better so.....

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Krahzeef_Ukhar

Thank you
Thank you for that

I'm still smiling

X

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I look way more native american than she does, so I'll dress the way I want.

Native Americans laugh at blondes and others that try to pass, some even find it offensive.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join