It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Was Jesus based on a real person from history? "The short answer is no," Atwill insists, "in fact he may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources. Once those sources are all laid bare, there's simply nothing left."

Atwill's most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying "Wars of the Jews" by Josephus [the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea] alongside the New Testament. "I started to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts," he recounts. "Although it's been recognised by Christian scholars for centuries that the prophesies of Jesus appear to be fulfilled by what Josephus wrote about in the First Jewish-Roman war.

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

An interesting article, which in many respects seems plausible, but in other respects has echoes of the James Cameron publicity stunts.

It has been argued many times whether Jesus was in fact a real historical figure, and this article is quite clear that he was not, although the evidence is not present with source material within the article.

The parallels discussed are intriguing, and if the research stands up to scrutiny, then it opens a whole new debate.

Of course, conspiracies are nothing new, and it can be said that due to the lack of education and information infrastructure in those times, as well as a conformity and willingness to believe, could be much more effective than today given even a small amount of input by those seeking to gain from an untruth.

Whether or not this symposium and the evidence presented stands up to scrutiny or not, it certainly opens an extremely interesting debate, particularly in light of recent films such as Zeitgeist, which examined in detail the veracity of the Jesus "Myth".

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
BUDSKI !!! Long time no see!! Nice to see ya'!!

ATS Thread - Jesus might have been invented
Sorry bud ... it's already been posted.

edit on 10/9/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Yeaaaa I saw that. Its like telling the world "I invented snoopy."

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Well, you're boring! I invented gunpowder, the long rifle and then I sat on the grassy knoll and shot Kennedy. Yup. I admit it. It was all me, all along.

Why? Cause I said so and it sounds really good to say... kinda like .. well..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

FlyersFan
BUDSKI !!! Long time no see!! Nice to see ya'!!

ATS Thread - Jesus might have been invented
Sorry bud ... it's already been posted.

edit on 10/9/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Ahh, thanks FF.

I'll have a read

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I remember watching a documentary a few years ago that showed that the story of Jesus had existed in about 14 other religions before Christianity.

The story of the son of god that came down to earth , the virgin birth, the lamb etc, disciples, performed miracles , the death , resurrection.

It been clear for a long time that Christianity is a religion made from all the best bits of earlier religions.

edit on 9-10-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
I remember watching a documentary a few years ago that showed that the story of Jesus had existed in about 14 other religions before Christianity.

The story of the son of god that came down to earth , the virgin birth, the lamb etc etc..

It been clear for a long timer that Christianity is a religion made from all the best bits of earlier religions.

That was Zeitgeist, a film which posed as a documentary, but was nonetheless very good in how it examined certain religious myths.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

PhoenixOD

The story of the son of god that came down to earth , the virgin birth, the lamb etc, disciples, performed miracles , the death , resurrection.

It been clear for a long time that Christianity is a religion made from all the best bits of earlier religions.

edit on 9-10-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

I'd argue that they took the best bits and not just the bits that made them better than everyone else

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The people that believe wont care and the people that dont believe already dont believe the people on the fence will listen to the people that believe argue with the people that dont believe and continue to sit on the fence, while I go out for a Gelati ice cream.

This will change nothing

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

TiM3LoRd
The people that believe wont care and the people that dont believe already dont believe the people on the fence will listen to the people that believe argue with the people that dont believe and continue to sit on the fence, while I go out for a Gelati ice cream.

This will change nothing

HAHAHA Well said. The thread that already exists pretty much proves you 100% correct. Enjoy your ice cream

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have known for years that the historical Jesus was fictional however if Jesus had been real I think he would have pointed out that it isn't about the man it is about the message.
edit on Wed October 9th, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Good to see you about Bud.

As an avowed Agnostic it may surprise people that I think JC was quite a cool guy.
Whether he was real or not is a bit of a moot point speaking from a personal point of view.
He had decent principles and morals and a person won't go far wrong in life tying to aspire to those self-same principles.
Sure, he had some failings - who hasn't?

The problems have arisen from all the 'stuff' people have attached and attributed to him afterwards - mostly with the sole intention of furthering various agenda's.

The question of his alleged divinity, (which is ultimately unprovable until such day that we die or the advent of a Second Coming, Judgement Day etc), has tended to cloud and distract from his virtues.

Sure, it'd be interesting to find out if he did exist.
Again, from a personal point of view, that's more out of historical curiosity than a spiritual requirement.

I think any detached attempt at understanding the development of the 'Jesus' phenomenon lends towards the theory that he was an amalgamation and adaptation of several predecessors .
Does that detract from the message that his 'life' portrays? - I'm not sure.
It'd certainly have a devastating effect on the millions who put blind faith before pure reasoning and would deal a crushing blow to organised religion and by extension the very fabric of the modern world and the majority of human history of the last 2000 years or so.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Already a long discussion on this topic HERE.HERE.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Very good points, particularly about the message that jesus was (allegedly) putting forth, but which pretty much contradicts his dads previous messages who apparently turned from a vengeful god into a loving god pretty much overnight.

I've seen many times the comfort that religion brings to people, and I have no issue with that whatsoever.

However, all religions as they exist today have caused far more problems than they have ever solved.
That's not to say that religion per se is the problem; it is, as you stated, the way man has used religion for his own ends that have caused the problems.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Question:

How is the issue of the persecution of Christians by the Roman government solved in this equation?

If as you assert, the Romans invented Christianity to pacify the people then why turn around and kill thousands who convert?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

grandmakdw
Question:

How is the issue of the persecution of Christians by the Roman government solved in this equation?

If as you assert, the Romans invented Christianity to pacify the people then why turn around and kill thousands who convert?

If you read back very carefully you'll find that I made no assertions.
I say very carefully because you seem to be confusing me with the man who actually made assertions.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

I think, but I could be wrong, that because the threads are in different Forum's then it's ok.

reply to post by budski

Very good points, particularly about the message that jesus was (allegedly) putting forth, but which pretty much contradicts his dads previous messages who apparently turned from a vengeful god into a loving god pretty much overnight.

I've always struggled with this obvious conflict.
'God' is quite the vengeful and egotistical being in the OT yet transforms into a caring, compassionate entity in the NT.
Is that a reflection of the times - a different concept of what a 'God' should be?
A reflection of the different authors?
Or something else?

Whatever is true both have always seemed somewhat at odds with what I would expect of an omniescent, omnipotent 'God' - but then again I'm simply a product and one reflection of the time from which I come.

Trying to understand the very concept of 'God' and how 'he' would reveal himself to us is a truly mind boggling exercise - and ultimately does it achieve anything practical that would help us in our day to day lives?

We spend too much time debating / wondering / arguing / fighting over the nature of 'God' instead of simply living our lives the best we can given our individual circumstances - if there is a 'God' I'm sure he won't be that egotistical and downright mean spirited that he will judge us on our adherence to whatever man made dogmatic creed we choose but rather than by our actual acts and deeds.
edit on 9/10/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I think it's fair to say that the 10 commandments, and indeed the "teachings" of Jesus come in two categories which are interrelated.
The first category is plain old common sense - if we treat each other better there is less conflict in the world.
The second category is social control, and is a can of worms because of the different values people have, and presumably have had for millenia, which are intrinsically linked to how people perceive the world, which in turn is shaped by an individuals learning and life experience.
By learning, I mean that which is observed as acceptable behaviour from a very young age, otherwise known as social conditioning.

It's the social control aspect which bothers me, because we have seen throughout history how government and religion often go hand in glove to control a populace, and the control is rarely for the benefit of any but a very few.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Amen to that brother.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

budski

I think it's fair to say that the 10 commandments, and indeed the "teachings" of Jesus come in two categories which are interrelated.

Jesus gave the New Covenant.
The Holy Spirit is the proof, That Jesus really existed

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join