It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stoned To Death in Pakistan for Possessing a Cell Phone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Arifa Bibi Stoned To Death in Pakistan for Possessing a Cell Phone

A young mother of two has been put to death in Pakistan for possessing a cell phone.

Arifa Bibi was sentenced to death by stoning by a Pakistani tribal court, and was executed on July 11 at the hands of her family. Her uncle, cousins and other family members threw stones at the woman until she died, all because she had a mobile phone. She was buried in the desert far away from her home village, and according to reports, her family was not permitted to be involved in her funeral.

Stoning has been a common sentence in countries like Pakistan for a long time and is used against women and other vulnerable groups. Since the stoning of Arifa Bibi this summer, women’s rights groups have launched an even stronger campaign to put a ban on stoning.

Naureen Shameem, representative for women’s rights group Women Living Under Muslim Laws, says that stoning is used against women in particular as a way to control them.

“Stoning is a cruel and hideous punishment,” said Shameem. “It is a form of torturing someone to death. It is one of the most brutal forms of violence perpetrated against women in order to control and punish their sexuality and basic freedoms.”

The Asian Human Rights Commission explained the act of stoning against women in a recent press release.

“Stoning to death is a barbaric act from a primitive society,” reads the press release. “Society is sent the message that violence is the way to deal with women and other vulnerable groups. Women’s rights are negated through the use of these forms of punishment. Pakistani society has degenerated to the point that, for a woman, keeping a cell phone has become serious crime. It is treated as a worse crime than gang rape, murder and bomb blasts, through which many people are killed on a daily basis.”

Groups are currently petitioning the United Nations to enact a worldwide ban on stoning. It is not known what progress has been made on that front.link

To me this is completely insane. Stoning someone to death seems like something from ancient times yet you read about it all too often. To be killed in such a brutal manner over a cell phone well I can’t really articulate my disgust.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

going by the comments alone...

Jane Bond · Follow · Works at Seton Hall University
Women all across Pakistan have cells and talk on them freely. I have lived and been there. Why bother putting something so inaccurate out there (the article's author). Don't believe everything you hear or read. Lots of bigots and this is just another bigot. Cheers! -- A proud Muslim American Woman
Reply · 123 · Like · Follow Post · October 3 at 3:04pm

IS THIS STORY BOGUS?

The story is reported here yesterday

www.dhakatribune.com...

and elsewhere, to have happened on 11th July 2013. However, the stoning was reported the day before most who have repeated the story are saying it happened. That is in this report:

www.pakistantoday.com.pk...

dated 10th July 2013.

Five days ago, the story was recycled as the headline and opening paragraph of the following rather muddled, campaigning "Special Report" in The Independent, which is about stoning in general, wherever stoning occurs in the world:

www.independent.co.uk...

The story of the alleged stoning of Arifa Bibi seems to stem from the two groups mentioned in the Opposing Views story here. It does look very much as though the story could be a made-up propaganda story, or a true story adapted and recycled for propaganda purposes.

Somebody should try either to substantiate or to debunk this story. However, I can't be bothered to complete that task. It's a thankless task challenging news organisations' suspect stories.

I was suspicious of a story on the BBC on 7/7/2005, that a group calling itself "Al Qaeda" had admitted responsibility for some bombs that had gone off in London that morning. The BBC even flashed up for a few seconds a website supposedly promulgating the said admission. I set out either to substantiate the BBC's story or to debunk it, by asking the BBC for the URL. I gave up after about two months of frustrating correspondence during which the BBC stonewalled my simple enough question completely. Never again. Since then, if a news story looks like bunk, I treat it like bunk until those publishing it substantiate it themselves.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Metaphysique

going by the comments alone...

Jane Bond · Follow · Works at Seton Hall University
Women all across Pakistan have cells and talk on them freely. I have lived and been there. Why bother putting something so inaccurate out there (the article's author). Don't believe everything you hear or read. Lots of bigots and this is just another bigot. Cheers! -- A proud Muslim American Woman
Reply · 123 · Like · Follow Post · October 3 at 3:04pm

IS THIS STORY BOGUS?

The story is reported here yesterday

www.dhakatribune.com...

and elsewhere, to have happened on 11th July 2013. However, the stoning was reported the day before most who have repeated the story are saying it happened. That is in this report:

www.pakistantoday.com.pk...

dated 10th July 2013.

Five days ago, the story was recycled as the headline and opening paragraph of the following rather muddled, campaigning "Special Report" in The Independent, which is about stoning in general, wherever stoning occurs in the world:

www.independent.co.uk...

The story of the alleged stoning of Arifa Bibi seems to stem from the two groups mentioned in the Opposing Views story here. It does look very much as though the story could be a made-up propaganda story, or a true story adapted and recycled for propaganda purposes.

Somebody should try either to substantiate or to debunk this story. However, I can't be bothered to complete that task. It's a thankless task challenging news organisations' suspect stories.

I was suspicious of a story on the BBC on 7/7/2005, that a group calling itself "Al Qaeda" had admitted responsibility for some bombs that had gone off in London that morning. The BBC even flashed up for a few seconds a website supposedly promulgating the said admission. I set out either to substantiate the BBC's story or to debunk it, by asking the BBC for the URL. I gave up after about two months of frustrating correspondence during which the BBC stonewalled my simple enough question completely. Never again. Since then, if a news story looks like bunk, I treat it like bunk until those publishing it substantiate it themselves.

I would imagine this was a remote village where this occurred. Not in a city or large village. My husband served in Afghanistan for 18 months and told me there is a distinct difference between tiny villages and their crude ways compared to larger cities. I do not think it is bogus, I am sure this happens. Women have very little rights under Sharia law. In Kabul, a young girl was stoned to death by her father and uncles for LOOKING at a teenage boy on a motorbike. Apparently she had "unclean" thoughts so they killed her. I think it depends on the family. They seem to have be the judge, jury and executioners in sharia law.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It´s not about such issues happening in small villages or big cities. This is all about keepin women in slavery and not giving them any freedoms.

Fatwa is a legal judgement or interpretations made by mufti ( sunni muslim, expounder and interpreter of islamic law ( sharia ) ) or jurist.

In Pakistan there are a lot Fatwas concerning female rights and freedom they do varie by area. In some areas women having a cell phone can cause stoning and in some areas like town in the region of Balochistan, a fatwa was announced in a mosque on May 11, stating that any woman using a cell phone will have acid thrown in her face.

express tribune
The Express Tribune also reports that Maulana Abdul Haleem, former legislator and member of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazlur Rehman, a religious conservative party in Pakistan, came up with several misogynist fatwas.
1. Formal education for women is un-Islamic
2. It is forbidden for girls to receive degrees and certificates as these would make them enter in the job markets ( keep them home right? ) also if parents keep sending their daughters to school they will burn in hell.
3. If women work for non governmental organization it´s a duty for local men to marry thos unmarried NGO workers to make them stay at home.

In Pakistan it seems that anything which could improve women´s health and freedom is shut down by the sharia law. It´s not that only daughter suffers they make whole family suffer.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

k21968
Women have very little rights under Sharia law. In Kabul, a young girl was stoned to death by her father and uncles for LOOKING at a teenage boy on a motorbike. Apparently she had "unclean" thoughts so they killed her.

That's a good example of why Sharia is incompatible with a civilized society.
Sharia advocates are extremists ... and are a rather frightening bunch.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
For me herein lies the problem;

Her own family killed her by stoning her....

No matter what disagreement I've had with my family members would I ever kill them, nor would I want to kill a stranger...

See this is part of the dilemma, the clash of cultures if you will, I'd like to think killing your own family members is a universal taboo... apparently not the case.

And to be pelted with stones until you die? Geez show so compassion and behead them since thats their other fav. Mexican Drug cartels dig that too...
edit on 7-10-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Which brand of a cell phone did she have?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

deckdel

Are u you serious , do you really think that's a joke? Maybe you can sent those two kids from the stoned mother a letter and ask them what brand the cellphone was..

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

deckdel

I don't know.

But apparently, her last words were,

'Let he who is without a sim cast the first stone.'

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Pakistan isn't in the Middle East.

I seem to be making these posts in threads in here very often, with people labelling as "Middle East" everything from Nigeria to Indonesia. For reference, if it isn't between Egypt and Iran (both included), it doesn't count as the Middle East:
alittleadrift.com...

Maybe we should just create a "Bad things muslims supposedly do" forum for all these threads.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Don't really want to comment much on this - it's obviously a barbaric act that can not be condoned in any way at all.

But just got to point out a slight contradiction;

I would imagine this was a remote village where this occurred. Not in a city or large village. My husband served in Afghanistan for 18 months and told me there is a distinct difference between tiny villages and their crude ways compared to larger cities....

Then you go on to say;

In Kabul, a young girl was stoned to death by her father and uncles for LOOKING at a teenage boy on a motorbike. Apparently she had "unclean" thoughts so they killed her.

The last thing Kabul can be described as is a 'remote village' - it is the capital and largest city in Afghanistan with a population exceeding well over 3,000,000.

Whilst I'd agree these acts do tend to be more prevalent in rural parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan however, they are certainly not exclusive to those areas.

Not sure if this is related to Sharia Law, (as much as I despise the whole concept behind Sharia) - I see many women wearing 'traditional' Islamic attire walking around here in the UK using mobile phones quite openly and I've seen it abroad in continental European country's.
Honour killing is a cultural issue - unfortunately it's far too common and is by no means unique to Islam.

edit on 7/10/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

I have to agree with your leaning.

There is a thread wherein children in kindergarten are prohibited from playing 'tag', and a member asks aloud who is behind these little prohibitions...and do they sit around night and day thinking up random things to implement rules on society...?

It is a question no one dares to answer.

They do. And guess what?

It isn't random.

Who are they? (He really wants to know).

Why do I think that the question is rhetorical?

I am highly suspicious of the cell phone story. Probably, her minutes ran out, or she didn't pay her bill, so the smartest, with the most ability to run things, who record your every utterance, keystroke, and phone call, for future technofascist use, decided on that spin. If they don't think of everything, well, they have machines, for that. AI, technomindwashing, bots, shills, and ghost journalists.

I won't bore myself wondering about everything they have. They have everything, everything under the sun, everything except 'God'.

This is payback for their having to wait until their planned DOJ journalist certification laws come into implementation. This is what they do, as to hasten their progress.

They are in trouble, and they need to massage your emotions as to conform to their master plan. Because if ever they lose control, it will be because, suddenly...everyone answered correctly, and that they were not fully 'equipped' to deal with that sudden illumination....

# 64
edit on 7-10-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: sp

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

babloyi

Maybe we should just create a "Bad things muslims supposedly do" forum for all these threads.

Good idea, but without word "supposedly".

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Thankfully, ATS doesn't make things THAT easy for bigots.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

babloyi

Thankfully, ATS doesn't make things THAT easy for bigots.

Truth is not bigotry

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Odd. I have a female Pakistani friend (and an atheist at that!) who makes regular visits to Pakistan with relatives. The family is spread everywhere from Lahore to some total BFE mountain villages. All of her relatives, including the girls, have cells to keep in touch & I got the distinct feeling that it's not exactly frowned upon over there, either. Something tells me this is straight up BS. The stoning event may have indeed happened, I'm sure, but I highly doubt it was over a cell phone. I can't put my finger on it, but I get the distinct feeling that the "crime" cited is a sensationalist lie.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

"Black people are more likely to rob you than white people"

"Truth is not bigotry"

You are right. Attitude is bigotry.
edit on 7-10-2013 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

My problem with this isn’t why it may have happened it’s that it still happens.

Stoning someone to death is one of the more brutal ways a person can possibly die.

Link to video 3 min mark

youtubegraphic

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Nyiah

My problem with this isn’t why it may have happened it’s that it still happens.

Stoning someone to death is one of the more brutal ways a person can possibly die.

Link to video 3 min mark

youtubegraphic

Oh, I wasn't trying to downplay the stoning, it's barbaric. I'm just suspicious of the crime claim. Although, for all we know, it may in fact be true, and it was some backwoods fundie family that found out she had one against a family banning or something.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
lessee, how do these stories get started? It's no secret that the CIA wants the entire region to be destabilized. And it's no secret that a huge portion of the CIA's huge budget is for disinformation and propaganda. Hmmmm.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join