It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can't change anything...or can we?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The litany is endless. It's discouraging.

"We can't change anything in Washington DC."
"The govt. doesn't listen."
"We have no say."

Or many, many words to that effect... As I said, the litany is endless, and discouraging.

You want to know what I hear when I hear people say that sort of thing?

I hear...

"I don't care enough about my future, or that of my children, to get off my ass and work to make a change.

That's what I hear.

Apathetic idiocy.

In just over a year, mid term elections roll around one more time.

We, once again, have a chance to send a message to the congress critters infesting Washington DC. We have a chance to tell them that we are tired of them not listening, ignoring our wishes. ...and not just the critters in Congress either, it'll be heard in the Oval Office, too.

If we can be bothered to send it. Big if...

I'm not about to tell you who to vote for, though I would urge you to vote out incumbents.

That is the only message these clowns will understand... The looming specter of unemployment. The looming specter of no longer being "special".

This is our undeniable power, should we bother to utilize it.

But the key is not just voting. It also involves helping get a candidate that you can wholeheartedly support. ...and at the same time, not be pigeonholed by establishment PTB's...that means getting involved in party politics people. Whether Dem./Rep. or other, you must be ready to get down and dirty. Are you? Or are you going to roll over and show your throat?

After all that, and voting your guy/gal into office, it doesn't stop there. You must communicate your wishes to him/her...constantly.

This is our POWER. It can't be taken away, it can only be given away. What we give, we can take away, and it's about time we remember that...

"I'm angry about..."

"I don't like..."

How often have we heard it? Read it?

Lots. ...and lots.

Well, folks, it's time to step up, and let that anger and displeasure be felt. Felt in the only way a politician will feel it. By taking away their offices, and putting someone else in it. It's time and past to utilize that very real power we seem to have forgotten we have.

It's not up to some nebulous other... It's up to you. ...and you. Yes, you, too. Not to mention me.

If we don't do it? Who will? If we don't do it next November, when will we?

I think you know the answer as well as I. No one, and never.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think we can change things, but not at the governmental level.

We are fully equipped to do so right now, at this very moment. And I am not speaking about any type of violence...

The internet, free information exchange, open source technology... All of these things can not only be done in the current market, but can lead to a completely different base perspective (or cultural story) for all of humanity. But we need to actually do it ourselves.

I am not sure anyone wants to take responsibility for the way the world is, and yet we all contribute to it. Making a conscious and individual choice to change the way we approach our cultural story is something that happens sporadically throughout history. I think its time to truly understand this evolution, observe it, and put one into play that is not only based in objectively creating the best world we can, but allows for even further advancement as we grow as a species.

Will it happen?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

seagull

I hear...

"I don't care enough about my future, or that of my children, to get off my ass and work to make a change.

That's what I hear.

Apathetic idiocy.

Funny, thats what I hear too.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Mostly what you say, yes.

People keep complaining that they cant change anything, and yet time and time again they REELECT the exact same *&^$**&^^%'s who have been causing the problems.

People can change things... but for some dumb reason, they dont.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well said Seagull and agreed 100%. Not voting and particularly on the mid terms, is a vote in itself. It's a vote to let the party insiders and political hacks pick the office holders.

I'd also extend that to, please everyone, don't JUST vote on the election day. Learn how your primary or, even better if you have it, Caucus, works. Know when and where and how it all functions. This is where candidates are chosen to be candidates. By general election? You're just picking who was already picked for you.

So few even bother to attend the caucus meeting where the candidate himself is first chosen, that it really is the 'back room' party bosses of each county and region making the decisions with their closest faithful. Nothing is closed about it though and it's everyone's right to participate. That's where change begins, then confirmed at the general election.

(Dr. Paul's campaign people taught me that in 2012 in a workshop they gave for how the system works at the level it matters most)

Just my two cents with a fresh carrot.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Things can always change. But it's naive to believe for a moment that the current system will allow for a candidate who truly represents the people from ever getting near the seat of government, in either the US, or the UK, not unless some motivated and totally merciless people are prepared to make a burning mess of whatever stands between the people and the power, and mark my words, significant baffles stand in the way. Until those have been decimated and left for the carrion birds to pick over, there will be no replacing the old order.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Its hard to vote when candidates are "pre chosen by those that are running our government from behind close doors.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
We will never change anything as long as we allow ourselves to be distracted by issues that don't matter...the ones they throw out there intentionally to get us bickering and to distract us from the real priorities and problems.

We see countless examples of this here and in the general media and consciousness daily. This dilutes our focus and keeps us from defining our real priorities and removing the obstacles in the way of those priorities.

There are ways to initiate and create change, many ways, but it takes a concerted effort, and we just don't have that. I'm not longer sure we ever will, barring a catastrophe of epic proportions, and even then...

Yeah, I can relate to those who despair and can't see a way out, because I'm almost sure I've lost faith too. You get tired.

marg6043
reply to post by seagull

Its hard to vote when candidates are "pre chosen by those that are running our government from behind close doors.

There are ways to change this. For example, states can enact term limits for Congress. But...well...see above.

edit on 10/4/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by seagull

Well if they are pre-chose, the candidates sure don't know if they are one of them.

I've interned for enough of them during elections to know that they have no idea if they will win or not.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You may vote.

You won't change a damn thing.

US politics is too polarised.

Politics should be about diplomacy, leadership and compromise for the good of the people. You guys over there have turned it into entrenched warfare.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I am amazed that in the last election people actually reelected the same members who are creating this mess. It has made me start to believe most people voting are clueless or still believe empty campaign promises.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I'm game if you are.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It seems tp me we think by standing up to current government that things will change. The decision is what change is proposed.
We would have to change society but it seems we are reluctant to risk what we have.

The society will decide its future best it can.
Problem is that society will still clash with others.

Of course tptb in our type of society have lots of power and try manipulate us but we still have large say as it does adapt .

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by guidetube

The problem is that most people are over-worked and underpaid. Most are so stressed with looking after family and making ends meet that they accept what they're told by the government and media as fact. Sure, you can explain what's going on but the standard thought is 'What can i do about it?' In short, they don't want to know.

And i can't blame them.

If i hadn't been such a nosey so-and-so, i'd still be living in blissful ignorance. And to be perfectly honest, i wish i'd never started questioning things. But i now feel a responsibility to do something about it or get the hell out of dodge. And if i do something, then the only way i'll succeed is from the inside.

My choice is a very simple one; I can either enter politics and stand as a party candidate or i can leave the country. Watching the UK go from bad to worse on a weekly basis is like a slow death.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorchio

Well, I have been game for a long time. The issue is that something like that cannot come to pass until the majority of people would support it, otherwise we would just be the very kind of ideologically driven bastards that mess things up in the long run.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Ah! But i have a very cunning plan. It's as cunning as a fox who has just been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I don't think its a case of what can I do about it rather what is there to do about it, and when you see the actual choice you stick with what you have. So we have toppled the elites control over our money and power structure now what? The void will be filled with a similar system that allows everyone to carry on their day to day or there will be chaos.

I think there is more chance of a choice of action being forced upon the west due to more and more technical advances, gaps in society and anti-west sentiment.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Things change slowly.

And for the most part, we live in a society of instant gratification. The only real change that gets done is slow gradual change, and most people don't have the foresight, patience, or self sacrifice to pursue that.

The bottom line is this, if you want real change to happen...you have to have the foresight to see what change you want to accomplish in the long run, the patience to work for that change while seeing little progress, and the self sacrifice to know and realize that you probably won't be alive to see the change actually come about.

If you think you are going to change anything with one election, you are going to be disappointed.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

I agree with this 100%. But i'd like to add to it.

Just because our fathers and forefathers failed their own children, it's not a good enough reason for us to fail ours. Every long journey starts with a small step. Yet i get the impression that the attitude of, 'There's nothing i can do', is really a rough translation of, 'I can't be bothered'.

With the internet, we have an amazing tool at our disposal. We can reach out to far more people than has ever been possible before. Furthermore, we can find people with the skills necessary to support us, even lead us. And i'm talking about people with real life skills, people who have experienced suffering and hardship, people with new ideas, and people with a firm grasp on what is needed and how it can be achieved. We can also find people with integrity, who will speak for the greater good of the majority, not the minority elite.

The important thing to realise is that most people in this country are fed up with how the country is being run. They're fed up with the choice of voting for either the devil or the deep blue sea. Give the people what THEY want. Give the people what THEY have earned. Give them the opportunity to make a contribution towards a better government and a better world. They don't even have to get off their arses, they just need to sit in front of a pc screen.

In summary, i'd be looking to give people a voice and let them use that voice. And if we can show them that we're acting on their wishes, then we immediately give them a sense of ownership and gain their support.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

That is so correct.

We can't fix it instantly. It'll take years. ...and people today, in this age of instant gratification, ten second attentions spans, that holds absolutely no appeal.

Patience. Perseverance. ...and an iron will, and incorruptible honor. A willingness to say no to interests.

Are there people like that around? I think that there are. It's up to us to find them, convince them, support them, and, most importantly of all, watch them once we get them into office.

One person can't do it. It's going to take a lot of people, and a lot of time. It didn't break over night, it won't be fixed over night, either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join