It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alberta pensioner fights to reclaim home declared an embassy by 'sovereign' man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

SYLVAN LAKE, Alta. -- An Alberta pensioner says she feels like a prisoner after her rental property was claimed as an "embassy" by a man she says identified himself as a Freemen-on-the-Land, a growing movement of so-called sovereign citizens that is raising concerns with authorities both north and south of the border.

"I am an army of one," says Rebekah Caverhill at her home in Sylvan Lake, near Red Deer. Tears stream down her face.

"I've been beat up so badly by people that should be helping that I don't know where to turn."

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

Alberta pensioner fights to reclaim home declared an embassy by 'sovereign' man

I was certainly shocked and left in awe by the audacity of this "Freemen-on-the-land". To arrogantly and possibly in a state of delusion, claim to transform someone else' property into a "Embassy", which could be described as border line insanity.

I have somewhat kept track of this "Freemen-on-the-land" movement over the last decade and I have to say that the craziness has continued to worsen. Grant it, I cannot say for certain whether or not this behavior extends to all who follow/adhere to this movement, but it seems like the ones involving the odd balls are making the news.

This group and members have been under our review before. The underlying premise of their belief is that statutory law and regulation is contractual and that they have opted out of this contract and therefore unbound by its rules and regulations.

I am not in Alberta, but I have had an example of this in my home city. A few men, claiming to be apart of this movement were squatting on an property that was being foreclosed upon. These men, believing that they were not obligated to repay any loans/mortgages, additionally, they would part their vehicles on their front lawns and in public parks which is a bylaw offense, quickly found themselves in the local court and news.

These men were arrested and refused to give their names, merely identifying themselves as Bob, Ray and John of the land and that our laws did not apply to them. They were understandably convicted of some charges.

These two instances seem to highlight some strange and dare I say dangerous behavior. The federal governments of both Canada and the U.S seem to agree, the U.S. going so far as to claim they could be domestic terrorists.

I feel sorry for the women in the article who is having her retirement years ruined with stress and concern and unfortunately it appears we should be getting much help from law enforcement:

"As far as I'm concerned, anybody who sets up a company or an embassy on Canadian land and calls it a foreign entity, for me, that's a declaration of war."

Calgary Police have been called about the matter on several occasions.

"Based on the information we have received so far, this appears to be a civil matter," says Staff Sgt. Jim Stinson.

I just want to conclude with a statement made by the pensioner on the viability of this mans action as I think she is bang on:

"They are taking away my rights as a Canadian citizen. They do not go along with any Canadian rights," she says, wiping away her tears.

"I'm battling somebody who takes advantage of the system. I'm battling the system itself and I thought I had rights and I guess I don't.

"If I don't like the government -- I vote. I'm not doing to take matters into my own hands like a vigilante and to me what they're doing is treason."

edit on 24-9-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Hello squatters, meet Mr. Salt-Gun, lol. I know for a fact those things hurt like a you-know-what

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Yea I agree. It seems like this women has tried to do everything within the confines of the law to have the issue resolved but to no avail.

I certainly would not stand for this kind of behavior.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Anyone can claim anything but this is not an accurate reflection of the sovereign citizen movement.

The actual movement is about being free from government tyranny and oppression.

The bum in this article seems to be exploiting various laws in order to live rent free and possibly steal a woman's home.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I say if these "Free men" would really like to be free? Why, by all means.. Canada has the ability to grant them their wish..in spades!

Load them up into choppers and 'Go North young man!' to paraphrase an old saying. There is a Northern Territory up there to be tamed by such wild and independent people. After all, they are free and not gonna take it anymore! So.... grant them their land ...as far north as possible ..with winter coming on fast.

Indeed... We can check back on them come spring and see how their first 'Free' winter went for them.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I am not overly familiar with all that they claim or how unified they are on a single belief, but I believe at a fundamental level they contest any obligation to follow current laws and regulations of the nation.

I am all for standing against tyranny, but it appears that the "Freemen-of-the-men" that I have been made aware of in the public domain have been a few crayons short of the full box and looking to exploit the system.

Thank you for your input.
edit on 24-9-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
He's not exploiting laws. There are no laws that allow this to occur, its just that there is a long complicated due process involved, so the police don't intrude and she has to go through other routes. If I was her, I'd get some big muscle local guys to break in and toss him and sue him for all the damage to the house and all the bills she has received that he authored.

Also, this is NOT what the sovereign movement is about. This is some kind of black operation, specifically being done to confuse people about what their rights are, and that corporate law is not real law at all. So to tarnish basic common law and our real freedoms tha they trample on.

This to me is Agenda 21 and cia agents.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hey Wrabbit,

Always a pleasure hearing your input and I am with ya on your sentiment. But as per a previous posters comments, perhaps this incident and perhaps the majorities of incidents that make the news are the outliers or the extremists who associate with this organization.

All i know is that over the last decade I have been made aware of some odd demands and claims made by people claiming to be "Freemen-of-the-land" and that it now is negatively affecting other Canadian citizens.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

RedShirt73
reply to post by MDDoxs

Hello squatters, meet Mr. Salt-Gun, lol. I know for a fact those things hurt like a you-know-what

Yup, plenty of ways to evict squatters. I feel bad for this poor woman, I wonder why she hasn't gotten help from her neighbors? I realize the town probably couldn't care less as long as she pays the taxes.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Unity_99
He's not exploiting laws. There are no laws that allow this to occur, its just that there is a long complicated due process involved, so the police don't intrude and she has to go through other routes. If I was her, I'd get some big muscle local guys to break in and toss him and sue him for all the damage to the house and all the bills she has received that he authored.

Also, this is NOT what the sovereign movement is about. This is some kind of black operation, specifically being done to confuse people about what their rights are, and that corporate law is not real law at all. So to tarnish basic common law and our real freedoms tha they trample on.

This to me is Agenda 21 and cia agents.

Yeah, respect for property rights is a central idea to anyone who claims to support 'sovereign' anything.

Just punks, give 'em what for.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Surely a few burly blokes turn up...kick in door toss the guy out and change the locks and job done, theres no need to disturb the local constabulary's sleep for problems like this...and who's he going to complain to? he's answerable to no authority according to his views so no authority will answer his plight either...technically you could probably shoot him since he's on foreign soil and not break any law since the land of f-all has f-all laws

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
These "free-men" or "sovereign" citizens are more than just annoying, some of them get violent.

The FBI actually has agents assigned to deal with JUST these people. I mean, when these guys file bogus liens against public officials...it's pretty much a assault by paper.

If we have a Republican president next term, they'll go away for a time. Every time we have a Democrat in the White House these nutters come out of the wood work. Look at the domestic terror that happened under Clinton vs. the external terrorism that happened under Bush Jr.

They don't want to pay taxes, listen to any authority, and make up their own rules and courts. These people want to have their cake and eat it too. I'm sorry, but if you are going to drive on our roads and live within the borders of my country -- you need to play by the rules. If you don't like the rules, use your vote or run for office.
edit on 24-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The Canadian cops need to grow some balls.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Well he is a Soverirgn nation right? And Im assuming not in the UN?

Well maybe someone should declare war on him go kill him and annex his country

He most likely is not signed up to the Chemical weapons treaty and Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty so he may be developing WMDs so there a excuse to go in

edit on 24-9-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but in US you'd only have to tell the guy that he is tresspassing. If he doesn't bug out then he can be arrested or removed with force? Idiotic system at play in CA.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
She needs to go into the local bar and buy a few rounds for the oil workers.
Then invite them over for a beer, downstairs.
They will have to take out the trash but it's all good.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Complete BS. This shows how backwards, selfish and arrogant this "movement" is. In a very technical sense, or more like, in a theoretic discussion, some of their arguments at the core of "Freeman" have weight. As in, they do have weight, and many things have been changed over the years to screw over the commoner (freeman on the land if you may) BUT!

And this is a big "but"

This example is clear, showing that this is completely arrogant, not a fight against tyranny, but some lazy ____ taking advantage over a landlord. A NORMAL PERSON THEY CLAIM TO BE FIGHTING FOR!

Can't stress this enough, the person claiming they are "Free" are impeding on someone else's rights.

This all has to do with landlord and tenant laws which actually favour tenants so much that squatting is a very real and dangerous threat to many landlords.

The thing I don't understand though, is for there to be a rental agreement at all, hey must have some time in the past signed a contract that binds them to it, essentially making their claim of "freeman" null in void (by their own rights).

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
BTW

Isnt breaking away from the goverment and refuseing to pay ones taxes the American spirt? I mean that how your country was formed right?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hey guys! lets all get together and go visit the old lady house. then we can provoke the jerk to hit one of us,and then we all witness about who started it. Then have the state department get involved since he assaulted a american citizen and also file it with the ICC.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Restricted
The Canadian cops need to grow some balls.

so that when they operate outside the law you can cry about illegal police tactics??

They are restrained by the law and cop (sic) even more agro for breaking it than anyone else - and quite rightly too!

Suggesting that cops should operate outside the law is particularly ignorant.

Suggestions of a few of your kids burly mates edumacating this bum in a forthright manner seem more reasonable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join